What are You Reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: What are You Reading?

In Response to Re: What are You Reading?:
    [QUOTE]Wish that I had time / discipline to tune into the History Channels and the Military Channel more often. In high school I hated history but find it much more interesting now. It makes you feel how extremely fortunate you are that you were born into the present generation.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Being from Boston, I always appreciated history. It started with the Revolutionary War period, then WWII, then Civil War and as I got older more I became more interested in a lot of other periods and history of a lot of things too -- music, movies, sports, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Sounds interesting. I've found WWI somewhat boring to read about, at least compared to the political happenings that led up to the war and the post-war dealings. Western European politics from around the 1850s through 1917, dealing with the unification of Italy and Germany and problems with the Austria-Hungarian Empire, rising nationalism and the troubles monarchies were having down to all the treaties that were created that led to WW I is good stuff.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I understand roy as most say the same thing. You have to dig into the family dynamics of Queen Victoria and her offspring - it is amazing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I like rock bios too. I've read bios on Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who and Eric Clapton from some of the top rock 'n' roll writers and they were all very good. Beside political and historical figures, I also like bios of old-time movie stars. A new biography of Spencer Tracy just came out that I want to get. I also got Walter Issacson's bio of Steve Jobs for Christmas that I'll read sometime this year. It will probably be my family room reading when I finish the Fenway book.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I have as well. Amazing how some of those stories intertwine with each other.

FTR, if this was about favorite books, Sophie's Choice, by Scott Turow, would get my vote. Scott Turow, in general, is probably a safe bet if you're looking for someone to read.

As for fiction, I've also read eveything by Nelson DeMille. I was at a dinner once where someone mentioned that his daughter was in his class. I immediately became completely enthralled with him. Such a small connection, and yet, that's how much I loved his books.

Of course, I will have to eventually read about Steve Jobs. I mean, how can you not after all that's been said about him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I like rock bios too. I've read bios on Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who and Eric Clapton from some of the top rock 'n' roll writers and they were all very good. Beside political and historical figures, I also like bios of old-time movie stars. A new biography of Spencer Tracy just came out that I want to get. I also got Walter Issacson's bio of Steve Jobs for Christmas that I'll read sometime this year. It will probably be my family room reading when I finish the Fenway book.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge Stones fan and I got Life by keith richards and despite all the great pr, I was very disappointed....simply not enough about his songs and craft....i knew it was going to be bad when the first 30 pages were describing a drug bust in the south....he spends more time mentioning his hanger-ons and other drug mules than anything else....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I'm a huge Stones fan and I got Life by keith richards and despite all the great pr, I was very disappointed....simply not enough about his songs and craft....i knew it was going to be bad when the first 30 pages were describing a drug bust in the south....he spends more time mentioning his hanger-ons and other drug mules than anything else....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Agreed Geo......I also started reading that bio and had the exact same reaction...Yikes, but grow up already boys, as stoned as you might or might not be...BTW, I also love the Stones...

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I read "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon" when it came out a few years ago.  Very interesting book.  Written by his ex-wife  with a lot of interviews with people who knew him.

As for what I am reading now, I have "Psycho Chicken and Other Foolish Tales" going and have just started a book suggested by a friend of mine entitled "Gods Behaving Badly".  I have been working my way through the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett as well as some Carl Hiaasen books (who co-wrote the song Seminole Bingo with Zevon).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Andrew Vachss has a series of books centered around a character named Burke. I highly recommend them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I'm a huge Stones fan and I got Life by keith richards and despite all the great pr, I was very disappointed....simply not enough about his songs and craft....i knew it was going to be bad when the first 30 pages were describing a drug bust in the south....he spends more time mentioning his hanger-ons and other drug mules than anything else....

See my earlier post. However, I like the book, even if what you say is true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As the music forum, someone just mentioned that george Harrison's sister is about to release a book on George and that era of the Beatles and Rock and Roll. So far, I am hearing that it is going to be a good read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I have as well. Amazing how some of those stories intertwine with each other. FTR, if this was about favorite books, Sophie's Choice, by Scott Turow, would get my vote. Scott Turow, in general, is probably a safe bet if you're looking for someone to read. As for fiction, I've also read eveything by Nelson DeMille. I was at a dinner once where someone mentioned that his daughter was in his class. I immediately became completely enthralled with him. Such a small connection, and yet, that's how much I loved his books. Of course, I will have to eventually read about Steve Jobs. I mean, how can you not after all that's been said about him?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I assume you're aware of the Meryl Streep/Kevin Kline movie from the early 80s. Harrowingly done; among the most horrific Holocaust scenes ever put to film.

Also, I believe the book is technically fiction, but I could be wrong about that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Sounds interesting. I've found WWI somewhat boring to read about, at least compared to the political happenings that led up to the war and the post-war dealings. Western European politics from around the 1850s through 1917, dealing with the unification of Italy and Germany and problems with the Austria-Hungarian Empire, rising nationalism and the troubles monarchies were having down to all the treaties that were created that led to WW I is good stuff.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I started (but didn't finish, not that I won't) a book called Causes of the First World War. The Military Channel has a great series on this topic (which includes the War, for the most part).

This was among the more brutal Wars ever, which includes WWII, the Civil War, and the 30 Years War back in the 16th century.

The most brutal battle ever: choose between Gettysburg, Iwo Jima, Stalingrad, and the Tank Battle of Kursk. Those are the ones that come immediately to mind

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]As the music forum, someone just mentioned that george Harrison's sister is about to release a book on George and that era of the Beatles and Rock and Roll. So far, I am hearing that it is going to be a good read.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Do you know the book:

The History of Rock and Roll Drumming: 1948-2000?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Thanks, another supposedly good but odd book (I didnt read it), was about Moe Berg, the baseball player/Spy. It was briefly mentioned in the Ruth book; after Ruth's Japan tour in '34 (which included quite an entourage of players), Berg mysteriously travelled to Russia. Also, Japanese authorities ransacked his hotel room an detained him (Japan was a pre-enemy then)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

The pre-war history of Japan is pretty interesting.  I've been reading up on specific events in Wiki, but they seemed to have an absolute belief that their race was superior to everyone else's, with an utter disregard for anyone else but themselves.  They were on a path to self-destruction for a long time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This book should teach all utopiasts that mankind will not create utopia. 

IMVHO, you cannot create a collective utopia, but the path to a personal utopia is easily within our grasp.  For the most part, a little bit of education, a lot of hard work, with a moderate lifestyle, and a commitment to the community around us yields about as much utopia as one would want.

By and large, most of the people I meet are pretty happy, and those that aren't generally have self-imposed barriers to happiness.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : The pre-war history of Japan is pretty interesting.  I've been reading up on specific events in Wiki, but they seemed to have an absolute belief that their race was superior to everyone else's, with an utter disregard for anyone else but themselves.  They were on a path to self-destruction for a long time.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

The Nanking incident was illustrative; also see my earlier comments about Moe Berg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Revised Softlaw Edition

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]This book should teach all utopiasts that mankind will not create utopia.   IMVHO, you cannot create a collective utopia, but the path to a personal utopia is easily within our grasp.  For the most part, a little bit of education, a lot of hard work, with a moderate lifestyle, and a commitment to the community around us yields about as much utopia as one would want. By and large, most of the people I meet are pretty happy, and those that aren't generally have self-imposed barriers to happiness.

Would self-imposed barriers to happiness include trolling a rival team's message board crushing any dreams that might be lingering there, like your pal, Zac? Just curious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Would self-imposed barriers to happiness include trolling a rival team's message board crushing any dreams that might be lingering there, like your pal, Zac? Just curious.

A barrier would be caring too much.  Post something with at least a little intellect and effort, in an honest attempt to create a dialogue, and then try not to care too much what people think.  If one does their best, then how others react to that is not their issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

THat's why I'm not a big fan of autobiographies. Even the best ones are usually too self-serving.

I read Stephen Davis' book on the Stones, "Old Gods Almost Dead" and found it very good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

About to tear into One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : A barrier would be caring too much.  Post something with at least a little intellect and effort, in an honest attempt to create a dialogue, and then try not to care too much what people think.  If one does their best, then how others react to that is not their issue.

Do I actually, in your honest opinion, sound to you like someone who cares what people think of my posts? That's very surprising. I'm not even kidding, it really is.

Nice that you think Zac does his best here, hate to see where he does his worst.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : THat's why I'm not a big fan of autobiographies. Even the best ones are usually too self-serving. I read Stephen Davis' book on the Stones, "Old Gods Almost Dead" and found it very good.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Stephen Davis, apparently, writes a lot of rock biographies. Recently read "Jim Morrison, Life, Death, Legend" by him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Do I actually, in your honest opinion, sound to you like someone who cares what people think of my posts? That's very surprising. I'm not even kidding, it really is. Nice that you think Zac does his best here, hate to see where he does his worst.

My remarks to you were in general, not specifically aimed at you.  I have never had an issue with anything you've written, but I also pay no attention to the issues between you and Zak.  My philosophy is that we have an 'ignore' button for people we wish to not interact.

IRT Zak, just like with you, I have no problem with him, but I ignore what he posts about you, because I figure he can ignore you just as easily as you can ignore him.  Other than that, sometimes we agree, sometimes not.

Even irt him and TWM, half the time I think Zak is wrong, half the time I think TWM is wrong.  If they were RS fans, half the time they would both be right.

The only time people stress themselves out is when they feel they need to get others to capitulate.  It's just not going to happen.  So roll your eyes, shrug your shoulders, and get on with the next thread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE] The only time people stress themselves out is when they feel they need to get others to capitulate.  It's just not going to happen.  So roll your eyes, shrug your shoulders, and get on with the next thread.

Very well said.

Sections
Shortcuts