What are You Reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: What are You Reading?

In Response to Re: What are You Reading?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: What are You Reading?": Doing ok. Waiting for things to pick up in our friendly rivalry.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Quiet offseason, other than the managerial change.  Atleast we have football until then.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : I think its common knowledge that J-Bay is a Sox fan, its not an allegation.  He roots for the Sox.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Wasn't I the game thread head cheerleader last year??Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]Just finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. She is an amazing author. I'll probably end up reading everything by her. (I read The Prodigal Summer this past summer: excellent reading.)  I need to read more, but my eyes are failing me (the reason I use bold print). If you want to read a good book on the history of the Congo from 1885 to 1908, read " The Ghost of King Leopold " by Adam Hochschild. A very "readable" book, even if you are not into history. It will open your eyes to a history not often mentioned.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
         I have some mild astigmatism and near-sightedness, moon, but nothing major.  Still, I love reading using a Kindle because I can make the font a bit larger, and I find I can read faster as a result...You can also get Kindle for PC, if you use a a laptop (or a PC I guess) much....I use Kindle on my laptop, as much as as I do on my actual Kindle....Not everything you want is available, but there is plenty to choose from.  For example, the Nietzsche lover in you could upload The Antichrist, Beyond Good and Evil, and Thus Spake Zarathustra, all for free. Pardon the post if you have already tried it and found it wanting, but increasing the font might come as a real boon for your reading given some vision issues. BTW, though Poisonwood Bible is the only book I have read by her, I found Kingsolver's mix of history, personal experience and perspective, coupled with a strong moral center of gravity, quite compelling stuff.  She is awesome ..... 

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Gamethread is the #1 place for Red Sox fans to avoid since two-thirds of its participants are closet Yankee fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Per Baldy, CamelWalk = CamelToe
    Per J-Bay, CamelWalk = MikeyintheBronx, I rest my case.
    J-Bay should be judged by the company that he keeps.
    Birds of the same feather
    Fly together
    Avoid the gamethreads this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Gamethread is the #1 place for Red Sox fans to avoid since two-thirds of its participants are closet Yankee fans.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Is the forum homogeneous yet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I've culled through the thread and put together a list of what posters said they are currently reading:
    YOUKILLUS20; Norman Mailer's "Oswald's Tale" and Buffet's "A Salty Piece of Land"
    devildad; Mark Frost's "Game Six".
    Joebreidey; "The Big Short"
    Georom4; "A Teacher's Guide to School Law"
    Hetchinspete; "Mystery Hill"
    nhsteven; Leigh Montville's "Ted Williams", "When Pride Still Mattered, the Vince Lombardi Story", "Veeck as in Wreck", "Life" by Keith Richards.
    summerof67; Chad Harbach's "The Art of Fielding".
    Zillagod; John Grisham's "An Innocent Man".
    Moonslav; Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible"
    rickerrd2; "Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and Montmorency Thie,f Liar, Gentleman?
    Notin; Maarten Troost's "Getting Stoned with Savages"
    royf19; David Halberstan's "The Cold Winter", Glen Stout's "Fenway 1912"
    Yoshimi25; "Major"
    soups; Bill Bradley's "A Sense of Where You Are"
    Jesseyeric; Eddie Trunk's "Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal"
    fizsh; "Pysho Chicken and the Other Foolish Tales", "Gods Behaving Badly"
    soxnewmex; Kurweil's "The Singularity is Near"
    heybarto; "Game Six", "The Baseball Codes", "9 Innings"
    Spacemaneephus; T.Pynchon's "Vineland"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to What are You Reading?:
    [QUOTE] With no games to watch, I find extra time to get into a few books. Currently I'm delving into Norman Mailer's "Oswald's Tale", an account of the Life of Lee Harvey Oswald, and "A Salty Piece of Land", Singer Jimmy Buffet's foray into literature which provides the light reading for me. Also, is anyone going digital, Kindle or Nook? How do you like it?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Reading - "Knowledge of the Holy" by AW Tozer and "Reaching People Under 40 While Keeping People over 60" Hammett/Pierce .....

Got a question, Youk .... "Got Tebow?"

Go Tim, go!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Per Baldy, CamelWalk = CamelToe Per J-Bay, CamelWalk = MikeyintheBronx, I rest my case. J-Bay should be judged by the company that he keeps. Birds of the same feather Fly together Avoid the gamethreads this season.

Time to avoid Utica, I guess ....

Cuz I happily keep the company of J-Bay, Baldy, and Mikey ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What are You Reading? : Reading - "Knowledge of the Holy" by AW Tozer and "Reaching People Under 40 While Keeping People over 60" Hammett/Pierce ..... Got a question, Youk .... "Got Tebow?"      Go Tim, go!!!!!
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Re Tebow, I watched with rapt attention as some how again, they did it. When the coin flip came up Denver, I knew they would win. To beat the #1 defense is really quite an accomplishment. the doubters point to all the injuries, but that's football, right? I flew out of my chair and ran with Thomas to the end zone, shouting YES!YES! YES!! Quite a scene in the YOUKILLUS20 household on Sunday. Looks like the fans were right about that guy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tebow will be disected and spoofed by the media, for obvious reasons. Though religion is one of the classes in federal class laws, it is selectively enforced to the exclusion of second class nut case citizens like Tebow. Tebow is not part of media vision for man made utopia.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? :  Re Tebow, I watched with rapt attention as some how again, they did it. When the coin flip came up Denver, I knew they would win. To beat the #1 defense is really quite an accomplishment. the doubters point to all the injuries, but that's football, right? I flew out of my chair and ran with Thomas to the end zone, shouting YES!YES! YES!! Quite a scene in the YOUKILLUS20 household on Sunday. Looks like the fans were right about that guy!
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

HA!  Love it, Youk!  I am delighted to hear of your reaction!!!!  I couldn't believe it that I went to sleep at the end of reg. time ... woke up and the next show was on.  So I grabbed my laptop to see what had happened ... thw wife was quite impressed with my reaction.  She was up stairs and was afraid I had hurt something!  :o)

As teams in the NFL, I line up first with the G-Men, then the Pats .... That's just cuz I was an NFL guy as was Dad ... but right now, I'm so pleased for Tim that I'd be pleased if he and the Bronc's went all the way.  I loved him at U of F, he's the real deal from the inside out.  No play acting.  I love the fact that he's hammering his way into the public conscioiusness .... He's never been the fit the mold guy, but he's always been a winner on the grid iron and true to his God.   

I love the picture in my mind of you running with Thomas!! Terrific!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Tebow will be disected and spoofed by the media, for obvious reasons. Though religion is one of the classes in federal class laws, it is selectively enforced to the exclusion of second class nut case citizens like Tebow. Tebow is not part of media vision for man made utopia.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Jr,

Tebow has already been spoofed.  Disected, hardly, but they will try.  Your depiction of Tebow as you stated in the emboldened section is surely what some would think, but he's not a nut case, second class, or excluded.  

He is instead the epitome of someone true to a cause or a person, and in this case it is both.  He uses that truth as a foundation for all the other things he does, and since it is built on a solid, complete and thorough footing, everything else he does is a natural and honest effort going forward.  One can even say that since his relationship to that Person is primary and critical to him, it helps to drive him to be as outstanding as he can be in all other endeavours.

I think I understand that you are saying that he will be recognized and ridiculed by those who don't understand him, but I just wanted to make it clear he isn't some baffoon.  I know there are those who will attempt to make light of him, but they only prove themselves to be lesser lights by doing so.  Indeed, some have no light at all .... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : My point is that Yankee fans should identify themselves as such so that we can temper / assess their posts in that light. Others who message / email / and socialize with Yankee fans should also come out of the closet. Let it all hang out, be sincere / honest. The gamethreads are a fraternity of closet types who are not sincere / open at all. Don't let them bait you and toy with you as they snicker privately. Clicques should not be tolerated. Am I right J-Bay?

Who are you a fan of?  You have no avatar so I feel deceived.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Quiet offseason, other than the managerial change.  Atleast we have football until then.

"Quiet season for whom?" Are you talking about the Yankees or the Red Sox?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : HA!  Love it, Youk!  I am delighted to hear of your reaction!!!!  I couldn't believe it that I went to sleep at the end of reg. time ... woke up and the next show was on.  So I grabbed my laptop to see what had happened ... thw wife was quite impressed with my reaction.  She was up stairs and was afraid I had hurt something!  :o)    As teams in the NFL, I line up first with the G-Men, then the Pats .... That's just cuz I was an NFL guy as was Dad ... but right now, I'm so pleased for Tim that I'd be pleased if he and the Bronc's went all the way.  I loved him at U of F, he's the real deal from the inside out.  No play acting.  I love the fact that he's hammering his way into the public conscioiusness .... He's never been the fit the mold guy, but he's always been a winner on the grid iron and true to his God.       I love the picture in my mind of you running with Thomas!! Terrific!  

Im not a religious guy, and Im no god fearing conservative like Tebow, but how can you NOT root for this guy (when they are not playing the Patriots)???  Exciting player, sincere, and a longshot/underdog.....

Im actually a little bit wary about this playoff game...i predicted correctly that the Pats would blow them out the first time, but i think this game will be closer...much

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: What are You Reading?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Jr,   Tebow has already been spoofed.  Disected, hardly, but they will try.  Your depiction of Tebow as you stated in the emboldened section is surely what some would think, but he's not a nut case, second class, or excluded.      He is instead the epitome of someone true to a cause or a person, and in this case it is both.  He uses that truth as a foundation for all the other things he does, and since it is built on a solid, complete and thorough footing, everything else he does is a natural and honest effort going forward.  One can even say that since his relationship to that Person is primary and critical to him, it helps to drive him to be as outstanding as he can be in all other endeavours.    I think I understand that you are saying that he will be recognized and ridiculed by those who don't understand him, but I just wanted to make it clear he isn't some baffoon.  I know there are those who will attempt to make light of him, but they only prove themselves to be lesser lights by doing so.  Indeed, some have no light at all ....  Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE] Good post SY. I did meet him once up at gville in the beginning of his junior year and can tell you he is a genuine nice guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Did Tebow ever say that he feared God? I am aware of many Bible-Belt Christians are that way but I'm not aware that Tebow is. Perhaps he believes in a compassionate God much like New Teastament Christians do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : "Quiet season for whom?" Are you talking about the Yankees or the Red Sox?

In general both, other than the managerial changes for the Sox it has been kind of quiet for both teams in terms of free agent signings, nothing major has occured in that regard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : In general both, other than the managerial changes for the Sox it has been kind of quiet for both teams in terms of free agent signings, nothing major has occured in that regard.
    Sure seems that way compared to last years "fun"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : HA!  Love it, Youk!  I am delighted to hear of your reaction!!!!  I couldn't believe it that I went to sleep at the end of reg. time ... woke up and the next show was on.  So I grabbed my laptop to see what had happened ... thw wife was quite impressed with my reaction.  She was up stairs and was afraid I had hurt something!  :o)    As teams in the NFL, I line up first with the G-Men, then the Pats .... That's just cuz I was an NFL guy as was Dad ... but right now, I'm so pleased for Tim that I'd be pleased if he and the Bronc's went all the way.  I loved him at U of F, he's the real deal from the inside out.  No play acting.  I love the fact that he's hammering his way into the public conscioiusness .... He's never been the fit the mold guy, but he's always been a winner on the grid iron and true to his God.       I love the picture in my mind of you running with Thomas!! Terrific!  

SY, too bad you fell asleep at Tebow Time. That's almost as disapointing as you being left off the "Poster of the Year" ballot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Did Tebow ever say that he feared God? I am aware of many Bible-Belt Christians are that way but I'm not aware that Tebow is. Perhaps he believes in a compassionate God much like New Teastament Christians do.

Im thinking his vocal pro-life commercial was quite unusual for a pro athlete...but one more reason to like him...he's not worried about the endorsements

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are You Reading? : Im not a religious guy, and Im no god fearing conservative like Tebow, but how can you NOT root for this guy (when they are not playing the Patriots)???  Exciting player, sincere, and a longshot/underdog..... Im actually a little bit wary about this playoff game...i predicted correctly that the Pats would blow them out the first time, but i think this game will be closer...much
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I do think this one will be closer.  I don't think there will be the 3 turn overs by Denver/Tebow this time.  However, that Bellicek guy has a way of game planning that is pretty good too.  If Brady is lefft unhassled ... not good for Denver.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: What are You Reading?": Good post SY. I did meet him once up at gville in the beginning of his junior year and can tell you he is a genuine nice guy.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

I know I never had the drive to be the pro player.  That is an incredible thing all on its own.  But I fully appreciate the character he has developed as well as the athelete he is.  I continnue to work on that character ....