What are you reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

What are you reading?

I asked this question last off season, and it provided some intersting distractions from the perils of winter. Personally, I'm reading " Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", and have Ted Williams by Leigh Montville in my night stand on deck circle. I've also been reading anything I can get my hands on by James Lee Burke, mostly the Dave Robichaux detective series, but am presently working through a Civil War tale, "White Doves at Morning"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: What are you reading?

At the moment, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, part of the series that started with The DaVinchi Code.  And I'm hoping to find his most recent one, Inferno, in my Christmas stocking.

In waiting I've got a couple of John Grisham books.

After that or before Grisham is going to be Killing Kennedy by <gaag> Bill O'Reilley. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Proof of Heaven, by Eben Alexander M.D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

"S" by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Family of Secrets: Russ Baker. Apparently your family can do banking for the Nazis and cozy up with the Bin Ladens (pre and post 911) and that doesn't disqualify you to become president.

Chilling book, well documented, but I recommend burying your head in the sand instead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dead and Alive (Book 3 of the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I read that Sherrif, pretty enlightening stuff.  Murakami is a marathon runner dj, I read his memoir on that activity and how it relates to his writing (long distance reading with him!).  Been reading Way of the Explorer by Edgar Mitchell.  He walked on the moon in 1971 and on the way back from the moon conducted ESP experiments with a couple friends on Earth without NASA's knowledge.  Later he founded the Institute of Noetic Sciences.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

At the moment I've got two books on the go, 'The End of the Road' by John Barth, and 'Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles' by Geoff Emerick. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I plowed through the first 200 pages last Sunday night while stuck in a cabin up North, and have only read about 10 pages since I got back home. Stupid internet.

[/QUOTE]

This book sounds interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Funny you should post this.

I just finished a Dwight Eisenhower bio by Steven Ambrose and trying to decide what to read next.

I'm probably going to get into this long book -- almost 1,000 pages -- "From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776" by George C. Herring, that has been sitting in my bookcase for awhile.

It's part of the Oxford History of the United States. I found out about the series when I was in college when we read the volume on the colonial era in one of my history classes. Since then, I've gotten every book that has been completed. There still are about four (maybe five) of the 13-book series that have yet to be completed. One volume, (Vol. 2 that covers the early colonial period) was supposed to be released this year but I haven't seen it yet.

HOWEVER:

I'm hoping to get the Bobby Orr autobiography for Christmas, so if I do, I'll take a break and read it. It should be a quick read.

I tend to have around six to 10 books -- sometimes more -- on my bookcase that I haven't read. When I see something I want to read, I'll get it so when I finish one book, I'll have variety of what to read next (usually books on history or bios with the occasional sports book, or music or old Hollywood history thrown in).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

"My Life" by Bill Clinton. Its something like 900 pages long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

QUESTION:

I've been wanting to read a Ted Williams bio but never got around to picking one up. Anyone know which is better -- the Leigh Montiville bio or the Ben Bradlee Jr. bio that just came out?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I am rushing through John Grisham's latest Sycamore Row as I bought it to give to my father-in-law for Christman and need to wrap it tomorrow.Cry

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I read the Montville bio of Ted Williams.  I seem to be in the minority on this, but I found the story of Ted Williams to be a little sad and depressing.  In spite of all his on-the-field success, Williams did not seem to me to be a happy person.  There was a lot of frustration in his baseball career, with the heartbreaking losses in 1946, 1948 and 1949 and his own failures in his one WS appearance.  And the beating he took from the Boston press was just horrific.  We might think there is negativity in the Boston sports press now, but it's got nothing on what Williams went through. 

Williams' personal life also struck me as a bit sad.  At the end of the day I got the feeling that his happiest times were when he was retired and 'gone fishing' to his heart's content.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Recently finished two autobiographies of Nikola Tesla(the inventor of everyhing)...different authors, was similarly screwed by Edison in both.  Also read autobiography of Vlad Dracul(Vlad the Impaler). ..origination of vampire myth.

Also read about 3 or 4 books on the atrocities(prsently going on!!) and escape from the North Korean slave/death camps.  Some think Rodman is a diplomat.  I think he's a raging idiot on the loose.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: What are you reading?....miracles and massacres..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's it about?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Currently reading two. Team of Rivals (The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) byDoris Kearns Goodwin and Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen. I've read one book by James Lee Burke, a Robichaux novel, and would like to read more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Thats an interesting combo antibody

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: What are you reading? various stories regarding hitorical evrn

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's it about?

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats an interesting combo antibody

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when the Lincoln thing starts getting a little heavy I'll lighten up with Hiaasen.

Sections
Shortcuts