In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's it about?

[/QUOTE]

funny guy...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: What are you reading?

Somebody send Bill a real book for Christmas, and no not a comic book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Actually, if your reading is limited to reading these threads, you might feel stupid reading this thread, so everybody might give and read a book for Christmas.. As a kid I got a trio for one xmas, Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and Black Beauty.  I was bummed by Black Beauty, but the other two sparked my interest in reading  Kids now would perhaps be bored by this stuff yhough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

By the way Youk, when do you leave for Japan, and will you bring your own books and bats?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, if your reading is limited to reading these threads, you might feel stupid reading this thread, so everybody might give and read a book for Christmas.. As a kid I got a trio for one xmas, Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and Black Beauty.  I was bummed by Black Beauty, but the other two sparked my interest in reading  Kids now would perhaps be bored by this stuff yhough.

[/QUOTE]

Read the first two as a kid. Didn't read Black Beauty. I used to read the Hardy Boys Series when I was a kid -- among other things like sports bios and other bios (some presidents or other historical figures) that were suited for the age group.

That's one thing my mom always encourged us to do -- read. In the summer, she made my sisters and I go to the library to check out books. We could do whatever we wanted after chores were done but we had to take an hour out of the day -- usually around lunch -- to read. 

I remember many summer days sitting under this big tree in the shade that hung over our backyard, reading a book while eating lunch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah Roy if  wasn't in school, or playing ball, I was reading and going to the library. Simpler times, less tv and no computers.  and djc Vermont eh, where about in  Vermont  and now?  Used to wofk some Vermont towns, wnen I lived in NH, now in NC Used to know a Dave Buffum from Nebraska I think at the beach

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm finishing David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell ... an appropriate selection for a Seattle Mariners fan.

I recently read The Science of Yoga by New York Times health writer William Broad and Blasphemy, a collection of short stories by Sherman Alexie, one of a my favorite Pacific Northwest writers.

For Christmas, I'm giving my old copy of Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States to our 17-year-old Italian exchange student who is studying U.S. history. My 15-year-old daughter who has been studying the colonization of Africa will receive the autobiography The Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. My 17-year-old Stanford-bound daughter will receive The Deliverance of Others: Reading in a Global Age by Stanford American Studies professor David Palumbo-Liu. I read the first two books years ago, but have not read the last book.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

QUESTION:

I've been wanting to read a Ted Williams bio but never got around to picking one up. Anyone know which is better -- the Leigh Montiville bio or the Ben Bradlee Jr. bio that just came out?

[/QUOTE]

Roy, When I finish the Montville book, it's yours if you want it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"My Life" by Bill Clinton. Its something like 900 pages long.

[/QUOTE]

Found in the Fiction section, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Great gifts of knowledge that will last, hill

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

[QUOTE]

By the way Youk, when do you leave for Japan, and will you bring your own books and bats?

[/QUOTE]

I'll bring my bats, of course, and one book, "Japan for IDIOTS."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Currently reading two. Team of Rivals (The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) byDoris Kearns Goodwin and Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen. I've read one book by James Lee Burke, a Robichaux novel, and would like to read more.

[/QUOTE]

Burke is great, the telling of long time social injustice in La is in stark contrast to the dream world of Duck Dynasty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Better bring some nodoz in case you face Matsuzaka

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah Roy if  wasn't in school, or playing ball, I was reading and going to the library. Simpler times, less tv and no computers.  and djc Vermont eh, where about in  Vermont  and now?  Used to wofk some Vermont towns, wnen I lived in NH, now in NC Used to know a Dave Buffum from Nebraska I think at the beach

[/QUOTE]

I could never understand reading works of fiction.  I know that it is not real, so I have a problem connecting with it.  So I generally read non-fiction, generally about financial matters.  Last book I read was The Big Short.  That was a couple of years ago, but I read it five times.  It's amazing how nothing ever changes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

yeah same scams with different names

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could never understand reading works of fiction.  I know that it is not real, so I have a problem connecting with it.  So I generally read non-fiction, generally about financial matters.  Last book I read was The Big Short.  That was a couple of years ago, but I read it five times.  It's amazing how nothing ever changes.

[/QUOTE]

I read more fiction when I was younger, mysteries like Agatha Christie novels and some others. I've read a bunch of Michner novels because I liked the way he blends fictional characters in real historical situations where the history is real.

But I love history, so now I tend to read mostly history. There are some fiction that might seem interesting -- Dan Brown, Grisham, Clancey -- and every now and then I'll get one but it takes a lot for one of them to get on my current reading list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm a fan of fiction, but you might enjoy Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World, Anthony Lewis' account of international markets that Lewis published after The Big Short. I've enjoyed three Anthony Lewis books starting with Moneyball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

I asked this question last off season, and it provided some intersting distractions from the perils of winter. Personally, I'm reading " Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", and have Ted Williams by Leigh Montville in my night stand on deck circle. I've also been reading anything I can get my hands on by James Lee Burke, mostly the Dave Robichaux detective series, but am presently working through a Civil War tale, "White Doves at Morning"

Read the TW book; one of the best sports bios ever. He considered his '57 season better than '41. Claimed due to a beat up body and reduced footspeed, he lost about 15-20 hits.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same....non-fiction only.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At the moment, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, part of the series that started with The DaVinchi Code.  And I'm hoping to find his most recent one, Inferno, in my Christmas stocking.

In waiting I've got a couple of John Grisham books.

After that or before Grisham is going to be Killing Kennedy by <gaag> Bill O'Reilley. 

[/QUOTE]

Which Grisham books???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a fan of fiction, but you might enjoy Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World, Anthony Lewis' account of international markets that Lewis published after The Big Short. I've enjoyed three Anthony Lewis books starting with Moneyball.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take a look for it, but I need to either read or re-read Liar's Poker first.  It's actually Michael Lewis, but I really connect to the way he writes.  I can understand most of the mortgage debacle, but some of the technical writers get too dry for my taste.  I think he was a little preachy in The Big Short, but he absolutely nailed the psychology between all the players, big and small.

If he missed one thing, and maybe it was a little too tangential, it was the psychology of the buyers.  It is too simple to say they were conned.  A friend of mine bought a house from a flipper.  The flippers were just a couple that didn't really know anything about construction.  To me, it looked they were just caught up watching too many TV shows.  I think there were millions of cases just like that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The Men who United the States (Winchester).  Great read.

Starting the Game of Thrones series, first book.

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers.  Really amazing. Highly recommend.

Still a sucker for Tolkien.  Rereading The Hobbit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

My daughter gave me a pre-Christmas gift of Long Walk to Freedom via Nook (Barnes & Noble) to read on my tablet.  Wasn't exactly thrilled until I got into it.  Absolutely enthralled with his story telling.  I have an altogether new respect and admiration for the man and his accomplishments.  The life long commitment to his 'cause' and the strength, (mentally, spiritually, and physically) that he displayed during his long and arduous journey is so remarkable that it has left me spellbound.

Obviously, I would recommend this read to anyone, particularly young people who are looking for inspiration to pursue their dreams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I'll take a look for it, but I need to either read or re-read Liar's Poker first.  It's actually Michael Lewis, but I really connect to the way he writes.

Oops ... Anthony Lewis was the Pulitzer Prize-winning long-time U.S. Supreme Court correspondent for the New York Times.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

About 1/2 way through rereading all the John LeCarre books that featured George Smiley. I've already read "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy" and "Smiley's People" twice, and can't wait to go for thirds. Got into the Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon) books, but found them too similar after ther 4th or 5th. Anyone got any ideas for more of trhat good old cold war stuff?