What are your expectations for Miller tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What are your expectations for Miller tonight?

I say 7 innings, 2 ER, 6 SO, 2 BB
    My question to you is where is his high 90s fastball? We were told that he could bring heat but I haven't seen it yet. Is there any reason why he is holding back the velocity on his fastball?
    This is from Nick Cafaldo this morning:

Andrew Miller has made three good starts, but now it’s time to see him go deeper into games, and turn up that heater late, when it’s needed to dominate hitters. The Red Sox feel they’ve found something, but Miller needs to show consistency, and even step it up a notch. While he said after his last start that he’s not concerned with his velocity, which was 91-92 against the Astros, he’s capable of throwing 96-97. OK, velocity isn’t the be-all and end-all, and if he uses his curveball and changeup to keep hitters off balance, great. But he has a power component to his game that we haven’t seen yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Re: What are your expectations for Miller tonight?

6 ip, 3 er, 5 k, 3 bb, win

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I hear people saying this is 1st exposure to an AL East team, but the orioles are prettyy free swinging whihc should help him out alot......he needs to avoid the long ball and he should be very successful against the O's. I say he goes deep tonight...8IP....6 Hits....2 ER...8Ks....3 BB and a big win

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know. Not overly impressed with him , so far. His results have been good , but his stuff is not what we had heard it was. He is going to have to pick it up a bit to deal with some of the tougher lineups. I hope he can do it because we need him. Orioles are a good hitting team, so tonight will be a test for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Miller tonight?:
    I don't know. Not overly impressed with him , so far. His results have been good , but his stuff is not what we had heard it was. He is going to have to pick it up a bit to deal with some of the tougher lineups. I hope he can do it because we need him. Orioles are a good hitting team, so tonight will be a test for him.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Interesting.  My take-away has been really different.  To me, his stuff looks fantastic:  good life on his fastball, a solid change, and a really pretty yacker.  He has made some mistakes for sure, and he needs to minimize this before he faces better line-ups.  But, his stuff, in my spacey eyes, is all it was purported to be.  And, despite his occasional mistakes, I think he has shown good poise.  I am excited.  Actually glad he has been cushioned in against some weaker clubs.  Good for him to gain some confidence.  But i think the kid could be a much-needed answer to the Matsulackey debacle.  Tonight will be interesting.  Hard to be certain about anything after 3 starts, but 4 and I'm sold Cool.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Miller tonight?:
    In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Miller tonight? : Interesting.  My take-away has been really different.  To me, his stuff looks fantastic:  good life on his fastball, a solid change, and a really pretty yacker.  He has made some mistakes for sure, and he needs to minimize this before he faces better line-ups.  But, his stuff, in my spacey eyes, is all it was purported to be.  And, despite his occasional mistakes, I think he has shown good poise.  I am excited.  Actually glad he has been cushioned in against some weaker clubs.  Good for him to gain some confidence.  But i think the kid could be a much-needed answer to the Matsulackey debacle.  Tonight will be interesting.  Hard to be certain about anything after 3 starts, but 4 and I'm sold  .
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I was expecting to see the high 90's fastball that he was said to possess. Have not seen that. I do think he has a pretty good curve and changeup. I guess we will find out soon enough how he fares against tougher lineups.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Could it be that the Red Sox have scrutinized every aspect of Miller and have determined that 90-92 mph is where he has the best control, stuff, and location....overthrowing is for kids, not pitchers....I like what I see...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

edith,

i think that we all need to forget miller being able to throw in the upper 90s as the team needs this guy to  have more control and command than just throw gas.

he has been a very competitive starting pitcher in each of his four starts so far, has a decent ERA and has won 3 games.

i thought that he didn't have his best stuff tonight, but still got through 5 innings with a lead.  he is gaining confidence in every outing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think that as he gets more comfortable and consistent with his mechanics, he'll slowly be able to amp it up more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

i love what he gives us. he is a competitor. has better control these days. his confidence and learfing how to pitch will improve over time and so should he.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

and i predicted, no called for the club to do this with him (bring him up and put him in the rotation) after he used the bcuk method to get his control going into games.
    hes pitching like a midddle of the rotaion guy, but i think he has #2 potential.

Sections
Shortcuts