What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?

At this point I'm more worried about Francona knowing when he should or shouldn't relieve him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes by the time he has given up 5 runs in 3 innings I would hope the heck Tito will replace him - 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I almsot went with 8 IP 1 H 0 ER, but...

6.2 IP  2 ER 2 H  3 BB  4K

Facing the NL will be a plus.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

A win would suffice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Watching Wake pitch now is so fustrating for me, not because of any true ineptitude, but because I remember watching back in '04, '05, and '06 and it seemed like he was doing the same things and hitters would for whatever reason, not hit the ball.

5.0IP 3ER 4K sounds right to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

He will be the stopper today; back to the future for Wake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Watching Wake pitch now is so fustrating for me, not because of any true ineptitude, but because I remember watching back in '04, '05, and '06 and it seemed like he was doing the same things and hitters would for whatever reason, not hit the ball.

2007: he was 17-12.

2008: he led the team starters and was 5th in the AL in WHIP.

2009: he was our co-ace by July 1st and rightful was an Allstar.
    He got hurt. He had back surgery.

2010: he had an up and down 2010 season. He was jerked from starter to reliever 10 times. 6 times he pitched with 6 or more days off between appearances, once with 11 days. He did well as a reliever and put us in a position to win more often than not as a starter (11 out of 19 starts).

2011: He's being "jerked" again. He hasn't pitched since May 11th and now he starts. His last 6 appearances have been:
    Relief-Start-Releif-Sstart-Releif- and now another Start.

Ask yourself how any other pitcher would have done in those situations. I'd say he has done pretty good considering the context. That being said, there may not be many people that could pitch a gem tonight after that kind of rollercoaster. I have confidence he can do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We got no pen, he better go deep

Problem is that night's game was a momentum shifter and the Cubs are riding high.  Half of Chicago will be in Fenway tonight.  Never ever have I seen our fans over-matched at Fenway.........that was humiliating........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

He had back surgery

Here we are in 2011, the back surgery was 2009, and the excuse is he is isn't being used correctly. There is a remedy for that, and it's called shipping him off to a team "that will use him correctly" and get a 5 plus ERA and an adventure on every pitch. 

6.1 Innings  4 ER  3BB 6Hits 1 HR 2 Wild Pitches 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?:
    We got no pen, he better go deep Problem is that night's game was a momentum shifter and the Cubs are riding high.  Half of Chicago will be in Fenway tonight.  Never ever have I seen our fans over-matched at Fenway.........that was humiliating........
    Posted by andrewmitch

Well, it is " our fans " who sold their tickets to the Cubs fans. I don't think it all came from stub hub.  As for Wake, I don't have much confidence in him. A telling thing is how few swings and misses he is getting and how Salty is not having much trouble catching the knuckler. Makes me think that the last second drop on the pitch is no longer there. Could be due to age, conditioning or drop in arm strenghth. The hanging knuckler is the easiest pitch in the world to hit. Almost like T-Ball. The hope is that the Cubs have not faced him before , so he can fool them for a few innings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Lack of familiarity is the only hope. T-Ball hitters would drill Wakefield, after one or two looks at him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

He had back surgery Here we are in 2011, the back surgery was 2009, and the excuse is he is isn't being used correctly. There is a remedy for that, and it's called shipping him off to a team "that will use him correctly" and get a 5 plus ERA and an adventure on every pitch.  6.1 Innings  4 ER  3BB 6Hits 1 HR 2 Wild Pitches 
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

WAIT.. SO Timmy cannot use his back surgery of 2009 as an excuse but TITO is allowed to use his frontal lobotomy of 2009 as an excuse?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Maybe he can give up 6 in 5 and then ALBERS can come in with a 2 runlead and give up 6 more in that inning before Francona realizes he doesn;t have it tonight either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Watching Wake pitch now is so fustrating for me, not because of any true ineptitude, but because I remember watching back in '04, '05, and '06 and it seemed like he was doing the same things and hitters would for whatever reason, not hit the ball. 2007: he was 17-12. 2008: he led the team starters and was 5th in the AL in WHIP. 2009: he was our co-ace by July 1st and rightful was an Allstar. He got hurt. He had back surgery. 2010: he had an up and down 2010 season. He was jerked from starter to reliever 10 times. 6 times he pitched with 6 or more days off between appearances, once with 11 days. He did well as a reliever and put us in a position to win more often than not as a starter (11 out of 19 starts). 2011: He's being "jerked" again. He hasn't pitched since May 11th and now he starts. His last 6 appearances have been: Relief-Start-Releif-Sstart-Releif- and now another Start. Ask yourself how any other pitcher would have done in those situations. I'd say he has done pretty good considering the context. That being said, there may not be many people that could pitch a gem tonight after that kind of rollercoaster. I have confidence he can do it.
    Posted by moonslav59

I forgot about Wakefield's great '07 in my list, and my main memory of '08 is his inconsistency after surgery. =/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

6 runs in 5 innings, still good enough to get the W against Cubs' pitching by committee today.

Only think worrying is Sox may not get to see same pitcher more than 2 AB, and that could tie up the batters. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

6 solid innings....the bats will re-awaken....Sox win, then go on the road and get swept by Cleveland again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Game over by the 2'nd inning

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He had back surgery

Here we are in 2011, the back surgery was 2009, and the excuse is he is isn't being used correctly. There is a remedy for that, and it's called shipping him off to a team "that will use him correctly" and get a 5 plus ERA and an adventure on every pitch. 

6.1 Innings  4 ER  3BB 6Hits 1 HR 2 Wild Pitches 

Or ship out the guy misusing him; the guy you rated as an "F" manager.

Or use him correctly.

Or talk about the fact that as bad as Wake has been, his numbers still put him in the top 12 of our 18 pitchers used thus far this season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Let's see no BP tonight ? What about Atchinson, Bard and Paps then Hill and Wheeler only threw 17 and 19 pitches. They can do a batter or two.
    Last nights game was a momentum shifter???? So what was Friday's game the non momentum game. Anybody who knows anything about baseball one game means nothing in regards to momentum. Every game is a different story. RS won 7 in a row that was not going to keep on going just as the losing streak earlier was not. Stop putting SO much emphasis on one stinking game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Wakefield: a solid 7 innings,3 earned runs and getting the W.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy's got some "splainin" to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Softy's got some "splainin" to do.
    Posted by moonslav59

Softy will reference small sample size!! Can you remember the last time that he was right about any baseball related matter? I seriously can't remember anything beyond the Mauer signing.

Sections
Shortcuts