What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?

You mean when he said they'd sign him for $17-18M/yr?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

I expect him to pitch 6 and 2/3 innings, giving up one run over four hits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight?:
    [QUOTE]You mean when he said they'd sign him for $17-18M/yr?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yep!! ...and he was "THE ONLY ONE" that stated that Mauer would be resigned by Minnesota.

Too bad we didn't sign Santana and I really miss Bill Hall's offensive production. Houston and the Mets hit gold with those moves. Is Lugo still available?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This was my call earlier tonight...

I almost went with 8 IP 1 H 0 ER, but...

6.2 IP  2 ER 2 H  3 BB  4K

Facing the NL will be a plus.

Actual:

6.2 IP  1 ER  4H  0 BB  3 K

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Hey Louie, how has your avatar of an an-us survived the moderator.? Are you proud of it. What school grade are you in?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yep!! ...and he was "THE ONLY ONE" that stated that Mauer would be resigned by Minnesota.

True, but his whole premise was that Mauer take a lowball offer from the home team.

When we all said he'd want and get over $24M/year, he said we were dead wrong.

Yes, he was right on MN getting him to stay. Most of us put those odds at less than 20%.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Louie, how has your avatar of an an-us survived the moderator.? Are you proud of it. What school grade are you in?
    Posted by Babe-Ted[/QUOTE]
    Old enough to know that my avatar is of a pair of lips and not a butt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]This was my call earlier tonight... I almost went with 8 IP 1 H 0 ER, but... 6.2 IP  2 ER 2 H  3 BB  4K Facing the NL will be a plus. Actual: 6.2 IP  1 ER  4H  0 BB  3 K

Not bad for a guy that someone mentioned is ready for the nursing home. Maybe we've been looking for pitchers in the wrong place. How many nursing homes are located in the Boston Metropolitan area? Maybe we should send out some scouts!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight? : Old enough to know that my avatar is of a pair of lips and not a butt.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]
    Don't mind Pike, he's awfully desperate lately.

And Wake shuts the haters up again...I love it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Playball: That pic is hitting you-know-who below the belt.

Good work!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He looked nimble fielding a few plays as well.

Maybe he should do a workout video.

Maybe he should market his lowcal potato salad recipe.

Wink

On the Sox:

Wake is 6th in IP with 30.

His ERA is down to 4.50 (4.32 as a starter/4.73 as a reliever).
    -4th best as a starter (Pitchers with 6+ IP as a starter)
    -7th best as a releiver (Pitchers with 6+ IP as a reliever)

His WHIP is at 1.20 
    -2nd best among starters.
    -5th best out of top 14 pitchers in IP (6+IP).

Quality Starts: 2 out of 3 starts
      2 Good: 12.1 IP  7 H  2 ER (one not really his fault)  1 BB  6 K 
      1 Bad:    4.1  9H  6 ER  4 BB   1 K

Relief games:
    8 appearances:
    -  5 with 0 ERs
    -  3 with 1 ER  (one in 2 IP)

I guess some clowns want Cy Young numbers from the 6 slot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Moon:
    Softy set up his "out" for tonight.  Unfamiliarity was the only way according to Softy.  He is quiet now but laid the groundwork for his usual nonsense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Loved Wakefield tonight. It was a beautiful thing to watch the standing ovation as he left the game. Hopefully, games like this -- including King Felix -- will show his bashers they were wrong, and that he's been a gift to this team. Had they gotten rid of him, like some wanted, none of this would have ever happened. I couldn't be happier for him. Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

[QUOTE]Watching Wake pitch now is so fustrating for me, not because of any true ineptitude, but because I remember watching back in '04, '05, and '06 and it seemed like he was doing the same things and hitters would for whatever reason, not hit the ball. 2007: he was 17-12. 2008: he led the team starters and was 5th in the AL in WHIP. 2009: he was our co-ace by July 1st and rightful was an Allstar. He got hurt. He had back surgery. 2010: he had an up and down 2010 season. He was jerked from starter to reliever 10 times. 6 times he pitched with 6 or more days off between appearances, once with 11 days. He did well as a reliever and put us in a position to win more often than not as a starter (11 out of 19 starts). 2011: He's being "jerked" again. He hasn't pitched since May 11th and now he starts. His last 6 appearances have been: Relief-Start-Releif-Sstart-Releif- and now another Start. Ask yourself how any other pitcher would have done in those situations. I'd say he has done pretty good considering the context. That being said, there may not be many people that could pitch a gem tonight after that kind of rollercoaster. I have confidence he can do it.

very well stated... Wakefield still has some game, just give him a legitimate chance... can't do worse than Dicy and Lacking

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see him get a chance to picth in a regular 5 day slot for a while.

It's also a good idea to try to use him vs the NL as often as possible. If Lackey and/or Dice-K return, at worst, he could up his trade value to an NL team in July.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The day they trade Wake is the day Softy admits being wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Cubs had never seen Wastefield. They started to adjust with more patience, after their first few looks. Perfect time to puff how good Wakefield is and trade him to the NL, before the dam breaks or he goes into traction. Maybe some crazy GM will part with a solid prospect catcher or RH OF'er, and read the board comments on how good Wakefield is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Pena saw TONS of Wakefield, 37 career at bats. 

So had Soriano, 36 times.

Reed Johnson, 18. 

5 out of the 9 starters have faced Wake.  

75 pitches 54 for strikes 4 hits no walks and one run.  They didn't "get to him" whether they were patient or hacking. 

You can make up all the "goofball" stuff you like, but that's all it is: in your head.  

-Daf. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Most of the ones that had seen Wastefield had not seen him for quite sometime.
    Oh they got to him, alright, which is why he was pulled out of the game after 11 days off and less than 80 pitches.

2 wild pitches. The Twins lit him up and so wil the rest of the AL if he remains in the rotation every 5 days and is able to stay out of traction.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your expectations for Tim Wakefield tonight? : Fewer than 80 pitches.  You can have "less than one," but it is always "fewer than" a plural quantity. From the Mirriam-Websters 11th Collegiate Dictionary: usage The traditional view is that less applies to matters of degree, value, or amount and modifies collective nouns, mass nouns, or nouns denoting an abstract whole while fewer applies to matters of number and modifies plural nouns.     
    Posted by djcbuffum[/QUOTE]

You need to manage your expectations on this one. It's a finernails-on-the-chalkboard issue for me too, but it's become the norm in sports talk, and not just among recycled players either. Real professional broadcasters! It's up there with guys playing "real good," but that one usually is reserved for players/coaches. My grammar is far from perfect, but those two are pet peeves for me.

Sections
Shortcuts