what bothers you about mlb?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

what bothers you about mlb?

what bugs me is that managers and coaches wear a uniform.why?

during ww2 these guys were player managers so they had to uni up

and be ready.they should wear slacks and a polo shirt with the teams hat

and jacket.you never saw connie mack wear a uniform.just picture don

zimmer in a uni and you will agree with me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: what bothers you about mlb?

Seriously?  THAT is what bothers you about MLB???

We currently have two leagues playing by two different sets of rules, we have inconsistent umpiring, we have players cheating by using PED's, we have bizarre scheduling that brings a team to "your park only once a year AND has "your" team playing some teams 17 times a year and some other teams five (?) times, we have a game that was designed to be played in the daytime now having most of it's games being played at night, we have a summertime game being possibly played into November in the northern latitudes, and what bothers you is that managers and coaches wear uniforms??

Wow!

Surprised

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to soxyjim's comment:

what bugs me is that managers and coaches wear a uniform.why?

during ww2 these guys were player managers so they had to uni up

and be ready.they should wear slacks and a polo shirt with the teams hat

and jacket.you never saw connie mack wear a uniform.just picture don

zimmer in a uni and you will agree with me.

I don't get your premise that WWII caused an upsurge in player/managers. During WWII, the only three player/managers I can think of are Joe Cronin, Lou Boudreau and Mel Ott. Cronin by then had been manager for years, so only the other two became managers during the war and both remained managers after the war. Three player/managers was hardly unusual back then.

In 1934 (picked at random), for example, there were eight: Cronin, Mickey Cochrane, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Dykes, Frankie Frisch, Bill Terry, Charlie Grimm and Jimmie Wilson.

And that's the point. In the early days of baseball, it was common -- maybe even more common -- for there to be player/managers. In fact, as baseball developed in the late 1880s, it was probably just as likely or even more than likely that teams had a player/manager. So of course they wore uniforms and it just evolved into tradition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The blackouts.  I just want to watch all Red Sox games on my tablet.  Why do I need to pass the bar exam to figure out why this is imposssible?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

inconsistent K zones and the fact that AL teams have to have their pitchers bat in NL parks. If they want to be fair, let the teams have the lineups that they usually play with. Actually, just incorporate a DH for both leagues. Letting pitchers hit is dumb altogether.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I hate the poor umpiring. The strike zones vary from ump to ump and inning to inning. Then bad calls on the basepaths happen routinely. Hey guys, this is the 21st Century. Replay shows haow bad the officiating is. Maybe if MLB used it more often, I wouldn't get so furious with the incompetence.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate the poor umpiring. The strike zones vary from ump to ump and inning to inning. Then bad calls on the basepaths happen routinely. Hey guys, this is the 21st Century. Replay shows haow bad the officiating is. Maybe if MLB used it more often, I wouldn't get so furious with the incompetence.

Many of the umpires are as mediocre as many of the players.

[/QUOTE] If a player is that mediocre he can be replaced. I wish it would happen with some of these crappy umps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I would say the fact that they lack afternoon games.  There should be a 1:00 and  4:00 game on every day.  There are enough retirees that get the MLB channel that should make up a slight loss of attendance.  Let the worst attendance records host some games.  I can't imagine that TB would lost so much in attendance that it would cost MLB more money than would be made up by a national audience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

what bothers me about mlb

is that they continually

give both the sox & yanks the same day off

jc ! if I can't watch the sox lose at least

let me watch the yanks win

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I would say the fact that they lack afternoon games.  There should be a 1:00 and  4:00 game on every day.  There are enough retirees that get the MLB channel that should make up a slight loss of attendance.  Let the worst attendance records host some games.  I can't imagine that TB would lost so much in attendance that it would cost MLB more money than would be made up by a national audience.

with all the senior citizens in fla

I always thought they should try earlier starts & more days games

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

What bothers me the most? How about umpires not knowing the strike zone, hitters WI 2 runners on, (today in fact) can't take a few pitches and move the runners along, nah, just swing away and pop up 3 times in a row!!! How about I bunting, no hit and runs, no (ok, hardly any) good throws to any bag!  On and on.....blah, blah, blah!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

with all the senior citizens in fla

I always thought they should try earlier starts & more days games

[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to get too deep into it, and i'm sure that MLB hires guys for this purpose, but there are some people that like afternoon games.  I have one guy in my group that works from home, and takes every mid-week matinee game.  Teams like the NYY would get hurt by a 1:00 game, but TB only gets 17k a game.  And I'd bet there would be enough guys working in Manhattan that have a lot easier time getting out early for a 4:30 game than they have getting home late.  Boss I v BossII.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

The Cubs and Braves seemingly play all there games in the afternoon... I think it is great. The fact the Red Sox are polar opposites and decide play practically every game at 7PM even in freezing May or September is a real bIg issue for me.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'd add this as #2.  You can't completely resolve the weather, but I'm thinking you should  schedule more games in April in places like the WC, TX, etc.  At least for a few weeks.  The schedule can reset in July when teams like TX don't necessarily want to play afternoon games in July.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Other than some of the complaints I saw above, I'd say the pace of the game. Of the 69 Sox games that have gone nine innings this season, 47 have been at least three hours. Heck, last night my son's Little League All-Star team played a six-inning game that went 1:25. Of course, there were no TV commercials or guys scratching their nuts between every pitch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I find the price of beer and hot dogs to be annoying. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I love that managers/coaches wear uniforms.  What bothers me?:

Not a lot, and not too much, I think it's pretty healthy overall but....

• Different rules for the two leagues, nbr 1 problem for me
    • Interleague play - it made MLB special before that
    • No trading of draft choices
    • Extended rosters during the season during the most important period of the season
    • Lack of an international draft

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Different rules NL vs AL. If they keep the different rules interleague play should stop.

One AL vs NL NO DIVISIONS or at a minimum and East West and make it a real East West

Playoff structure too many first place teams have the 4th or 5th best record and this year you could have an ALE team not in the playoffs with a better record than a first place team.

Baseball should not be played before April 15th and after Sept 30th,especially above the Mason Dixon line. Make schedule 154 games 11 each against the other 14 and play Day & night dblhdr games every Sat. There 137 days from Apr 15 to Aug 31 Playing D/N on 20 Sat is 40 games leaves 114 for the 117 days left. Playoffs happen in September. Top 4 teams play first week, top two second week WS the last two weeks.

More replay with an umpire or two in the TV box watching all replays. Generaslly by the time the next pitch is throw we have seen 5 angles twice on a play. It is not football where they can line up and quick pitch. Publish stats on umpires we all know what the players numbers are why not umps.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

Anyone caught cheating at this point and time should be banned for a year. There is NO excuse for cheating now or ever for that matter.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

jimfromflorida,

That's a little draconian, but I like it.  I suspect it won't fly because of the MLBPA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Players playing hurt, not telling anyone and stinking up the joint while they hurt the team.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts