What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations

Remember,this is from some Chicago media.
    From CSNChicago.com:
    http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/news/Red-Sox-playing-hardball-with-Cubs?blockID=577760&feedID=661

Major League Baseball sources have confirmed to me tonight that the negotiations between the Cubs and the Boston Red Sox have turned increasingly contentious and the two sides remain far apart as they try to hammer out a compensation package that would allow Theo Epstein to accept a job with the Cubs as their head of baseball operations. Those same sources also told me that the Cubs have dug their heels in and are prepared to send a fair package to the Red Sox but will not significantly overpay to extricate Epstein from the final year of his Boston contract.

A current baseball executive with knowledge of the parties involved said that Boston president Larry Lucchino who is leading the negotiating team for the Red Sox in their talks with the Cubs is trying to make it very difficult for Epstein to accept his dream situation in Chicago because of his fractured relationship with his one-time protege.

Another baseball executive I spoke with tonight believes that the Red Sox are dealing from a position of strength because of Lucchino and his willingness to play extreme hardball in the negotiations.

"The Red Sox hold the cards here because they have their new GM in Ben Cherington and they control Theo for the next 12 months. If they want they can force Theo to stay in Boston or on the sidelines for the next year. Can the Cubs go without a GM for the next 12 months? That would be an incredibly gutsy move but also a very risky one."

The same source also told me that because of Epstein's desire to bring some of his trusted assistants with him the Red Sox are looking for more compensation than they would if it was just Epstein going to Chicago by himself.

"Larry Lucchino is one of the most unreasonable people I have ever dealt with and because of his frayed relationship with Theo Epstein he is looking to make a point at the expense of Theo's happiness and his desire to go to Chicago. I didn't believe that ownership group for one second when they said that they wouldn't stand in Theo's way if he wanted out of Boston. They are furious that he wants out and they are trying to make a point. Theo helped bring them two World Series titles and they have no loyalty to him and his happiness. They messed with Terry Francona and that was just an incredibly pathetic move and now they are trying to make life very tough for Theo,"  he said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations

Wow. The plot thickens again. What an insane roller coaster we have been on since Sept 1 and it will be a very long time before this is all over. John and Larry are looking so, so bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

This is just another in a series of mis information stories...Where the author is speculating on what is the "motive" behind the impass. When in fact, just yesterday John Henry during his radio interview stated that the reason for why it's still not done and why he wouldn't comment was MLB (who has to apporve the deal) frowns upon teams making major announcements during the Playoff and World Series...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations:
    Wow. The plot thickens again. What an insane roller coaster we have been on since Sept 1 and it will be a very long time before this is all over. John and Larry are looking so, so bad.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

That's funny, my reaction is just the opposite. Hats off and kudos to Lucchino for driving a hard bargain and wanting to maximize our return in compensation. I would expect any Red Sox fan to want to get back as much as possible from the Cubs. Larry is looking good on this one. Thanks for posting the good news.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from QCluvSox. Show QCluvSox's posts

Funny, they want our GM with good guys from our staff and we would to accept only $$$$? They would have big press conference with conquerors attitude and for us just money for Henry?I'm behind Lucchino for that one!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It was a Chicago writer, what do you expect?

From the RS perspective, Epstein was and is under contract to them. The Cubs leaked during the regular season that they would be going after Epstein, rather than waiting to ask the RS for permission prior to talking to Epstein.

The Cubs asked, but did so only technically because the leaks insured Epstein will be well aware of their interest for 2 months prior to following the contractual procedure of asking to talk to Epstein.

Now the reported value of the deal suggests the Cubs think Theo is an extraordinary talent. The are taking him from Boston while still under contract. The RS have ever right to expect to compensated for waiving their final year of control over Theo so Cubs can have their man. If Ozzie Guillen is worth two prospects than IMHO Theo Epstein has to be worth that.

The shots at LL are stupid. If this was about his fractured relationship with Epstein, he couldn't wait to see Theo leave. It is about the best interests of the Boston Red Sox. And it is not just about Theo. When a GM leaves, some of the team's staff follow, so it is more than one guy, it is organizational brain drain. Now the ideas floated on BDC like the Cubs giving us Starling or taking Lackey are wrong but two quality AA guys or top flight AAA guy is reasonable given what the Cubs are getting in return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Maybe , we have met the "Evil Empire" and it is us?

Caption: J.H."Let's see if those Cubbies have any teeth Larry."

L.L. "Have no fear my leader, we have the Schwartz. No National League team is going to intimidate us!"

J.H. "Okay then let's take a 5 minute break,  and have some Mr. Coffee."

John Henry and Larry Lucchino.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjkoko. Show jjkoko's posts

Keep up the good work Lucchino-there is no reason to cave in to the Cubs - we need to come out of this with something good.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Cubs were probably tampering with Theo prior to asking permission to talk. Who knows how much this may have caused him to pay less attention to what was going on the last month.

Hopefully MLB will step in and review the case and perhaps award a draft pick in addition to players.

Good for LL--keep up the pressure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The Cubs were probably tampering with Theo prior to asking permission to talk. Who knows how much this may have caused him to pay less attention to what was going on the last month. Hopefully MLB will step in and review the case and perhaps award a draft pick in addition to players. Good for LL--keep up the pressure.
    Posted by MadMc44

The wildcard was lost on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Let them overpay. We always do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Cubs refuse to look at the past compensation deals in the past four years.  All compensation deals have including draft pick or prospect or prospects along with sometime a veteran.

What is the Cubs problem.  They just do not want to give up anyone who are in the top 10 prospects for the Cubs's organization.  They are being so cheap!!  I think Theo have play part of it to get his revenge against Larry H and Henry!!

Well, like someone said, Boston hold the cards!  They can just say, Theo you are staying with the Red Sox but you are not part of any baseball decisions!!  Just become a water boy!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Go Larry! Make them over pay!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! (Insert Evil laugh)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Cubs refuse to look at the past compensation deals in the past four years.  All compensation deals have including draft pick or prospect or prospects along with sometime a veteran. What is the Cubs problem.  They just do not want to give up anyone who are in the top 10 prospects for the Cubs's organization.  They are being so cheap!!  I think Theo have play part of it to get his revenge against Larry H and Henry!! Well, like someone said, Boston hold the cards!  They can just say, Theo you are staying with the Red Sox but you are not part of any baseball decisions!!  Just become a water boy!!
    Posted by GoUconn13
    It would be kind of funny to see Theo shagging fouls at Fenway.Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations : It would be kind of funny to see Theo shagging fouls at Fenway.
    Posted by carnie

Like that one!!  shagging foul balls ?  haha

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Cubs refuse to look at the past compensation deals in the past four years.  All compensation deals have including draft pick or prospect or prospects along with sometime a veteran. What is the Cubs problem.  They just do not want to give up anyone who are in the top 10 prospects for the Cubs's organization.  They are being so cheap!!  I think Theo have play part of it to get his revenge against Larry H and Henry!! Well, like someone said, Boston hold the cards!  They can just say, Theo you are staying with the Red Sox but you are not part of any baseball decisions!!  Just become a water boy!!
    Posted by GoUconn13
    the sox hold no cards at all...if mlb decides they'll likely throw some money boston's way.There are teams who let any of their front office go any time they want to improve themselves...that's usually the gentlemen's agreement in mlb,not to stand in the way of somebody's advancement.The sox could go for Farrel who has a contract with the jays and it wouldn't cost them a thing if Farrel thinks that's an advancement.That's the way it should be for all teams

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

You know, it seems that Lucchino is a petty and vindictive person.
    He's acting like a scorned lover, because his former understudy has decided to go elsewhere.
    If anyone leaked the stuff on Tito, my money is on Lucchino.
    By the way, the Cubs prospects are yawners. Jackson seems a clone of Kalish and Reddick. The 3rd baseman's AA stats are not as good as Middlebrooks'. The pitchers are nothing to write home about, either.
    Maybe that's why the Cubs are so bad. Remember Felix Pie was supposed to be their big prospect a few years ago. He's been a marginal player at best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why would anyone want to tamper with Theo?

I mean look at the results of our team from 2005 and 2006, then look at 2008 through 2011. The 2004 team was mostly Duquette's team and 2007 still had many holdovers.

It's not like Theo's managing skills are all world or anything. I mean, he's no dummy...but there have to be others that are at least his equal. We haven't exactly had a boatload of success from 2005-2011 ,when you take away 2007.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You know, it seems that Lucchino is a petty and vindictive person. He's acting like a scorned lover, because his former understudy has decided to go elsewhere. If anyone leaked the stuff on Tito, my money is on Lucchino. By the way, the Cubs prospects are yawners. Jackson seems a clone of Kalish and Reddick. The 3rd baseman's AA stats are not as good as Middlebrooks'. The pitchers are nothing to write home about, either. Maybe that's why the Cubs are so bad. Remember Felix Pie was supposed to be their big prospect a few years ago. He's been a marginal player at best.
    Posted by GhostofTito

Hohler says that it wasn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

You know, it seems that Lucchino is a petty and vindictive person. He's acting like a scorned lover, because his former understudy has decided to go elsewhere. If anyone leaked the stuff on Tito, my money is on Lucchino. By the way, the Cubs prospects are yawners. Jackson seems a clone of Kalish and Reddick. The 3rd baseman's AA stats are not as good as Middlebrooks'. The pitchers are nothing to write home about, either. Maybe that's why the Cubs are so bad. Remember Felix Pie was supposed to be their big prospect a few years ago. He's been a marginal player at best.
    Posted by GhostofTito
    Whether LL is vindicative or not the Chicago writers theory does not float.

If there was still bad blood between LL and Epstein, LL could not wait for him to walk.

It is all about business. The compensation deal for Guillen sets a precedent. Wrap it any way you want the Cubs leaked two months ago they'd do this rather ask for permission before ever approaching Epstein. It wsn't a 24 or 48 hour leak gap, it was two bleeping months. The Cubbies ownership have not been saints in the process.

Now their prospects aren't great which by the way is all the more reason they should pay up. It isn't like Boston is asking for Starling, or they have the next Longoria in their AAA system.

The prospects if they have no other value become fillers for future trades for relievers etc.

IMO the Cubs will give something in the way of prospects but both sides will do the dance . They want the Epstein brand, they want the brain drain he will bring. While the RS at this point don't want to block Epstein and end holding the bag on a lame duck, the Cubs ownership doesn't want to leave the table without Epstein at this point either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

why are all the posters saying LL is wrong and the Sox look bad....new posters?? Hmmm....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

Theo is perceived by most to be one of the top general managers in the league. He brought two championships to the the Sox when nobody else could for 86 years. I don't think you can put a value on Theo but I think we can agree it's more valuable then a couple prospects. I think you certainly shoot for Castro if your the Red Sox. The Cubs are trying to aquire possibly our greatest asset I think one of theirs in trade is fair to ask. I think that's an even trade and if the Cubs aren't interested then Theo can finish out the contract he agreed to in the first place and put his efforts towards helping the Sox win 2012 and leave the Cubs to fend for themselves (thats worked well for them). If the Cubs don't want to pay the price to win a championship then they likely won't.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Why would anyone want to tamper with Theo? I mean look at the results of our team from 2005 and 2006, then look at 2008 through 2011. The 2004 team was mostly Duquette's team and 2007 still had many holdovers. It's not like Theo's managing skills are all world or anything. I mean, he's no dummy...but there have to be others that are at least his equal. We haven't exactly had a boatload of success from 2005-2011 ,when you take away 2007.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Yeah, 1919 to 2002 was just a boatload of success too.  Who do you think raised the bar to begin with so that you could have the expectation that the Red Sox should be in the playoffs every year, never mind winning a World Series from time to time? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Why would anyone want to tamper with Theo? I mean look at the results of our team from 2005 and 2006, then look at 2008 through 2011. The 2004 team was mostly Duquette's team and 2007 still had many holdovers. It's not like Theo's managing skills are all world or anything. I mean, he's no dummy...but there have to be others that are at least his equal. We haven't exactly had a boatload of success from 2005-2011 ,when you take away 2007.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

In 2020 there will be some posting lizard in Chicago complaining about the Cubs' not having won a World Series since 2016.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: What Chicago media's saying about Theo negotiations : That's funny, my reaction is just the opposite. Hats off and kudos to Lucchino for driving a hard bargain and wanting to maximize our return in compensation. I would expect any Red Sox fan to want to get back as much as possible from the Cubs. Larry is looking good on this one. Thanks for posting the good news.
    Posted by UticaClub

exactly..i agree 100%

Sections
Shortcuts