What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation.

lackey was a terrible signing from the start. who in their right mind gives a 5 yr 82.5 million contract to guy who had injury issues the past 2 seasons and has really only had one good year? Theo could have signed matt holliday instead which would have been a much better choice. I mean the guy wanted to play for the sox and they needed a LF. But theo decided to waste the money on lackey instead for some crazy reason. Oh wait it was because of his "bulldog mentality" that they thought he would be a good fit. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation.:
    [QUOTE]he is? He is a 3.01 ERA pitcher over 224 innings, who won 19 games in the 2007 season? Really? Same guy. This is like saying that Mike Cameron was the same guy who hit 4 homers in a game, but couldn't hit 2 in a month for the Sox.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

UR looking at a career year. Josh had one in 2007. How did Josh do in 2008? Or 2010? I'm showing you on the FENWAY FACTOR thread of the importance of venue in regards to pitching/hitting.

A career year of 3.01 ERA in CA may in fact be 3.61 in Boston. And that's a career year! It's also 4 years ago. Injuries take their toll on pitchers. As you mentioned, Lackey was hurt in 2008/9.

If he stays relatively healthy throughout the length of his Boston tenure, expect around 14 wins a year on the average. That's what 80 mil bought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation.:
    [QUOTE]Except, the Sox have the best offense in the AL...it does account for bad pitching. Andrew Miller had a 4-1 stretch, but his performance wasn't 4-1 material. Wakefield probably wouldn't have won 7 as well without a consistent offense. The hitting has been huge for this team....and that's why I have criticized the distortion thread for discounting the team's hitting worth despite the differences in batting average at home and road.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Largely due to Fenway park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would these monster hitters be hitting in Safeco for 81 games???

Think!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Even though Worley is having a very good season, I highly doubt that the Phillies will use him as the #2. It would go Halladay/Lee/Hamels and then Oswalt if he's back. If Oswalt is still hurt, then Worley slots in as the #4. That's scary considering they also have Kyle Kendrick having a very good year and Joe Blanton for insurance. Their 5/6 is better than the Sox #3 starter. Uh, wow.

[QUOTE]Even with Bedard, the Sox will have a hard time winning the WS.  When Buch went down, the Sox chances of winning a WS greatly diminished.  If I were a handicapper, I'd have to say that the Phillies are the favorite.  They say hitting gets you to the post season but pitching wins the post season.  Assuming the Sox and Phillies make it to the WS, here are the potential match ups Roy Halladay 2.44   Vs Josh Becket 2.17 Vance Worley 2.33 Vs John Lester 3.17 Cliff Lee  3.14 Vs. Bedard 3.45 Cole Hamels 2.61 Vs. Lackey 6.20/Wakefield 5.06/Miller 5.36 With the first 2 games in Philly.  The Sox have to win the first 2 games of any post game series.   Worst case scenario for opposing teams, their #1 and #2 starters will face Beckett and Lester twice and if Beckett or Lester loses a game, the Sox will lose the series unless Wakefield goes on one of his streaks. Imagine - the hopes for a WS rests with Wakefield.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

He earned his keep the first year (14 wins,

An ERA at near 4.5 is not "earning your 20M plus 2010 keep". Absurd!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Quick note: All of my conjectures are about the regular season. Post Season is always, always, always, unpredictable. In Response to Re: What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation. : More and more I doubt if you are a Red Sox fan: The main competition of the Red Sox is the Yankees. Comparing their hitting is almost a wash. The Sox hitting is better, but the two are the best. Red Sox Rotation - ERA: 1. Beckett - 2.17 2. Lester - 3.17 3. Lackey - 6.20 4. Bedard - 3.45 5. Wakefield -5.06 6. Miller -5.36 Yankees Rotation - ERA: 1. CC Sabathia - 2.56 2. AJ Burnett - 4.23 3. Phil Hughes - 8.24 4. Bartolo Colon - 3.30 5. Freddy Garcia - 3.22 6. Ivan Nova - 4.01 As it sits these two rotations are incredibly similar. Phil Hughes and John Lackey were supppose to be integral parts of their rotations, they haven't been. Lackey's begun to turn the corner, Hughes has yet to. Colon and Garcia have been overachieving all year and are constantly being referred to as question marks against better teams, Wake and Miller are bigger question marks. Jon Lester of AJ Burnett is probably the biggest edge the Sox own. Right now the Sox are 2 games in front of the Yankees and have the best record in the AL, realistically saying we as fans should be settling for second by this point is not a fan speaking.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

who cares what you doubt. more and more i doubt that you're not an idiot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What complainers don't want to accept. The state of the Red Sox rotation. : He is that guy he was in L.A. Same person. Same pitcher. Different ball park. Different division. Different climate. Different city. But the same pitcher.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

too bad for SOX fans that THEO BLUNDER didn't pick up on that. i'm sure that info wasn't on the back of SLACKEY'S baseball card.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]There's a reason why the contract is for 82 million dollars over several years. He earned his keep the first year (14 wins, +200 innings mission accomplished), he hasn't this one, however the season isn't over, Lackey has begun producing (tonight is a very convenient start for your argument of failure but I have confidence in Lackey). Players never fully "earn" 82 million dollars, but if they do what they were signed to do, they can "earn" their keep. Your expectations are too lofty, especially if you feel 2010 was a failure year.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

"earned his keep." you sound like that other THEO BOOT-LICKER peter abraham.
    again i doubt that you're not an idiot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]lackey was a terrible signing from the start. who in their right mind gives a 5 yr 82.5 million contract to guy who had injury issues the past 2 seasons and has really only had one good year? Theo could have signed matt holliday instead which would have been a much better choice. I mean the guy wanted to play for the sox and they needed a LF. But theo decided to waste the money on lackey instead for some crazy reason. Oh wait it was because of his "bulldog mentality" that they thought he would be a good fit. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

please fire theo!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I do not under any circumstances feel as though Lester and Beckett can even get us to the playoffs. Our starting rotation is in absolute shambles and does not match up well against even mediocre teams. Mark my words, we are in huge trouble right now. I predict we will be 3-4 games out of first by Sunday night and in a fight for our lives with the Angels for the Wild Card.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox average 5 runs a game on the road. If they played 81 games at Safeco, how does that matter what they do on the road? They have hit a league-leading 71 homers on the road, or 13 ahead of the next best team in that department. How thick is your head on offense not just being about batting average?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Sox have more than enough pitching to make it to the post season - pitching and hitting. 

In the Post Season, Texas makes me nervous.  They have a couple of good lefty starters.  the Yanks don't worry me much - CC is great, but I just don't see Colon being a dominant pitcher in the post season.  He's already slipping.  I don't see NY making it past Texas.

In the NL, SF and the Phillies have the pitching to win a WS.  the Phillies are scary.  Think about it, Cliff Lee is their 4th starter.  They got 2 starters with ERAs under 2.5 and a 3rd starter with an era under 2.7.  Cliff Lee has an era of 3.13 and lefties are batting just 206 against. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe--------. Show -TheBabe--------'s posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have more than enough pitching to make it to the post season - pitching and hitting.  In the Post Season, Texas makes me nervous.  They have a couple of good lefty starters.  the Yanks don't worry me much - CC is great, but I just don't see Colon being a dominant pitcher in the post season.  He's already slipping.  I don't see NY making it past Texas. In the NL, SF and the Phillies have the pitching to win a WS.  the Phillies are scary.  Think about it, Cliff Lee is their 4th starter.  They got 2 starters with ERAs under 2.5 and a 3rd starter with an era under 2.7.  Cliff Lee has an era of 3.13 and lefties are batting just 206 against. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Yup...definitely slipping....in his last 3 starts he's had 2 earned runs twice and one earned run in the other game.

You should have just left it as "I don't see" and you would have been more accurate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

babe, but colon has put on another 43 pounds since the all star break......he will be tumbling soon to the DL

Sections
Shortcuts