What do to with Cr-Awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What do to with Cr-Awful

We could talk for days about how he can't get on base, he can't get a bunt down, can't steal a bag like he used to, is a butcher in the field and can't hit the cut off man but.....let's try and stay productive......

Would Sox ownership look at him as a sunk cost and try and dump him?

Turn his contract and $50 Million over to whoever will want him?  Is he even worth 6/75?

Could Crawful be Theo's Waterloo?

PS Did I mention that I actually welcomed Drew back last night? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: What do to with Cr-Awful

I don't understand why he does not have 40+ stolen bases. Has he gotten on so little that he can't steal or is Tito holding him? I want my 50+ steals that I was promised by management - its in the brochure and I want them now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

50?  He only has reach base like 100 times.  He'd have to steal every other time  he reached first. 

I was thinking 30 would be good, 40 would be great.

But he won't even have 20.  20?

How much better off would we be with Coco Crisp?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

its sad and looking at his career averages other than triples and stolen bases he kinda sucks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

From watching him play over the years, I had always thought he was very good.  And from a quick look at the stats I would say the stats backed that up.  But........if you study his stats they are not impressive enough to do anything near 100 million..........and if you had scouts watch him in the field for more than 3 games at a time I think they'd see his poor D...........I don't get paid millions like Theo - Theo should have done more homework than I did.

So.....back to the ?  -  What do you do w/ him after this season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaj512. Show eaj512's posts

Sad to see how little you people know about baseball. Even sadder they give you a voice on here. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful:
    Sad to see how little you people know about baseball. Even sadder they give you a voice on here. 
    Posted by eaj512

Very well articulated.

Why don't you march on Washington and get the first ammendment scrapped.

Talk about sad......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful : Very well articulated. Why don't you march on Washington and get the first ammendment scrapped. Talk about sad......
    Posted by andrewmitch

Hear! Hear!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

what can you do with him. Trade, I doubt anyone will take the contract unless the Sox kick in money. But the Angels did take Vernon Wells and put Mike Napoli in the trade. So who knows

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

You can't dump him yet. You have to give him I would think half a season (next year) at least to see if he can turn it around. If the Sox make the playoffs maybe he will show us something. The number 2 or 3 spot is where he needs to be. He is never going to be worth his contract, but like stated at least 30 steals would be nice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Crawford certainly gets the benefit of one more year here before we should really roast him (should he still be struggling). That said if you look at his numbers over the years they don't warrant the salary - and that is Theo's fault not Carl's.

Truth is we really could use his supposed skills on this team - it would be nice if he could provide them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

50?  He only has reach base like 100 times.  He'd have to steal every other time  he reached first.  I was thinking 30 would be good, 40 would be great. But he won't even have 20.  20? How much better off would we be with Coco Crisp?
    Posted by andrewmitch

I agree his lack of stolen bases has been particularly frustrating, but I think it is more a factor of his horrible OBP. Without getting more detail, like how many times he was on first with someone on 2nd, or how mnay steals of 3b they have, a basic view is that he has 18 SB, with 82 singles and 23 walks which means he has 17% Stolen bases for the times he has been on 1st base.....Ellsbury has 127 singles and 55 walks and 38 SB which means his pctge is 21%. So it is that ridiculous .293 OBP percentage that is killing him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Oh come on, remember he had a stiff neck last week as well he had a hamstring problem about three months ago.  So Tito isnt going to gamble to make him to steal alot.  Also it is much easier to steal bases on Tampa Dome turf than outdoor baseball stadium.  

Anyway, leave this kid alone.  Elsbury got caught stealing as well he got picked off during yesterday game.  So therefore, Tito isnt going to gamble on trying to steal as many bases against Martin and Montero.  

Crawford isnt the problem to the team lately, it is the starting pitching staffs!!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Andrew, ...........You're in the catbird seat now. Your two protagonists, Carl Crawford and JD Withdrew are in a position to be RS heroes. With three games left and a one game lead these guys will  have a chance to be RS legends. I've got to admit though, lately Crawford does look kind of scary out there. Andrew, try this scenario, they extend JD for one yr.,  I know,I know, but it could happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

CC is playing a little better, but he's not using his speed--that is quite obvious. I go back to the day he was signed, the feeling of "what-the-f" I had when I saw not only 7 years tagged to him, but 142 million. I liked him, but I liked him as a Tampa Ray or even an Angel. He seemed to fit in those environments. But he was a lefty-lefty trying to play the Monster in Fenway--not a good strategic move.
    The Sox already had a similar player in CF--Ellsbury, who I realize no one thought he's go powerball on everyone this year, but certainly I had expectations he could hit as well as he did the year before and play a quality CF---hence the reason for ever sticking him in LF in the first place. The Sox had a lefty hitter in RF-Drew--and a lefty backup--Reddick--and lefty prospect--Kalish.

The Sox NEED was a righty power hitter in the OF--it's the team's history to acquire that type of player. The team had that in some of the team's best seasons, and didn't have that in some of the teams' worst seasons or down seasons offensively. Never even during the trade deadline did the Sox even try to attempt to get a player that he could hit from the right side. Sox are lucky that Aviles hit with some pop in a backup role. Don't use Conner Jackson as a viable acquiree. But who was available? Who cares, the GM's job is to go out there and fish and make a deal, or even deal with an object in mind. Everything Theo does is about the availability process of free agency....give all the money to not the players the Sox need, but the players the Sox can get through free agency because there's "nothing else" available.

Everyone is available, everyone can be had if you have the vault the Sox have. Giving a fortune to Crawford and Lackey was simply not prudent. You can make all the conjecture you want about well the sox rotation bit the dust but Lackey stayed healthy and he pitched the big game yesterday---1 in about 10 over the last 10 starts in a pennant race.

The Sox had Beltre and VMART but preferred AGON and Youkilis...fine, so be it. But the Sox did have that power bat at 3b in Adrian and he was a super defensive fielder. Youkilis is a fine 1b, not so fine 3b. Now Youkilis is hurt, maybe hurt so much that he's becoming Lowell. We'll find out soon. AGON was a prime catch, and I love the guy, but I sure think the Sox could have kept Beltre too, considering giving away 142 to the Crawford trust fund. It's tired to talk about it, and probably will result in 500 responses about how I'm unreasonable, how I'm not a GM, how I can't predict that certain guys would fall flat on their face--Crawford and Lackey. Whatever. Now, though, maybe CC can get some more key hits and Lackey throw a few good starts, Sox win, and we can celebrate. Who knows.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

With his contract and his performance this year, trading him is simply out of the question and I don't think that is a good idea anyway.

What do we need to do with Crawford next year? Suggestions a) Assign the very best Sports Phychologist to begin working with him right after the season on his confidence level, how to deal with the microscope that is Boston and any other "head" issues he may have. b) Assign the very best hitting coach to work with him daily on revamping his batting stance, his approach to hitting/swining at pitches in the dirt, etc., view hours and  hours of tape of at bats this year vs. last year. Analyze how pitchers approached him this year, especially the Rays in terms of how they owned him. The Red Sox should also consider sending him to Winter Ball to work on his hitting. c) Assign the very best outfield coach to work on his arm strength, accuracy and relearn situational outfield defense...winter ball could help this, as well. d) Start him at 2nd in the lineup right away in 12 and see what happens. Give him 40 games minimum before even considering moving him in the line up. If he fails at 2nd, move him to 9th and leave him there.

Crawford is "ours" for several years. We should not give up on him, we should work hard to make him get back to his averages, at least. I know, I know, his contract is ludicrous, but that is water under the bridge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Andrew, ...........You're in the catbird seat now. Your two protagonists, Carl Crawford and JD Withdrew are in a position to be RS heroes. With three games left and a one game lead these guys will  have a chance to be RS legends. I've got to admit though, lately Crawford does look kind of scary out there. Andrew, try this scenario, they extend JD for one yr.,  I know,I know, but it could happen.
    Posted by eggplants

LOL!  that was awesome - thanks

Like I said, I no longer hate Drew.  He wasn't so bad.  I don't even have issues w/ the Lackey contract.  But Crawful's deal has me literally bashing in walls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

With his contract and his performance this year, trading him is simply out of the question and I don't think that is a good idea anyway. What do we need to do with Crawford next year? Suggestions a) Assign the very best Sports Phychologist to begin working with him right after the season on his confidence level, how to deal with the microscope that is Boston and any other "head" issues he may have. b) Assign the very best hitting coach to work with him daily on revamping his batting stance, his approach to hitting/swining at pitches in the dirt, etc., view hours and  hours of tape of at bats this year vs. last year. Analyze how pitchers approached him this year, especially the Rays in terms of how they owned him. The Red Sox should also consider sending him to Winter Ball to work on his hitting. c) Assign the very best outfield coach to work on his arm strength, accuracy and relearn situational outfield defense...winter ball could help this, as well. d) Start him at 2nd in the lineup right away in 12 and see what happens. Give him 40 games minimum before even considering moving him in the line up. If he fails at 2nd, move him to 9th and leave him there. Crawford is "ours" for several years. We should not give up on him, we should work hard to make him get back to his averages, at least. I know, I know, his contract is ludicrous, but that is water under the bridge.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Or take him to the local Little League games and point out to him how the kiddies throw the ball to the fielder placed between the themselves and the base - often referred to as the "cut-off man".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

legally, not much the SOX can do; but if it was set up to look like an accident, then that's a different story.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful : Or take him to the local Little League games and point out to him how the kiddies throw the ball to the fielder placed between the themselves and the base - often referred to as the "cut-off man".
    Posted by andrewmitch

Clearly a huge part of my suggestions outlined in c)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Andy using the childish Crawful that Yazzer does. Send a pinwheel and a yo-yo to each of them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

Andy using the childish Crawful that Yazzer does. Send a pinwheel and a yo-yo to each of them.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

hey bacon,

here's new one: god-awful crawful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

DFA Crawful, for non performance. Fire Theo and his private detective, too.
    I love the posters who say you can't get rid of Crawful, because he'll be better next season.
    He will NEVER justify his insane contract and craps up the LF for the next six years. LF is where your bombers play, not some low OBP speed guy, who's a pop gun hitter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right now, Crawful is looking like he will have to be replace Ortiz as the DH because he is way too much of a butcher in the field.

Imagine going from a 300/400/30/100 clean up hitter as your DH to a #9 man hitting 250/290/10/50 for twice the pay for twice the term

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Of what a beautiful morning it is. I love the smell of napalm in the air. I'm only happy when I am miserable.

Sections
Shortcuts