What do to with Cr-Awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

Re: What do to with Cr-Awful

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful:
    Of what a beautiful morning it is. I love the smell of napalm in the air. I'm only happy when I am miserable.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

actually bacon,

i'm only miserable after seeing your bird-droppings on this board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The first think you need to do is manage your own expectations.  As of May 1, Crawford has been incredibly faithful to his career averages.  If his line looked like this ... .283 / .314 / .449 / .764 how would you feel about him?  Maybe those numbers look much better in the TB lineup than the do the Boston lineup?

Crawford was brought here because after 2010, the FO did not trust Ellsbury, and Crawford had the profile to replace him.  Face it - Crawford is your Ellsbury extension.  The fact that Crawford had a terrible April, and Ellsbury a terrific year, doesn't change that fact.  So when you look at the $20M, you must also factor in either 3 years of Crawford / Ellsbury in the lineup together (Ellsbury at arbitration salary) plus 2 compensation draft picks, or the return we can get from trading Ellsbury over the winter, which right now would be pretty high. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Don't forget the draft picks we gave to the Rays after signing Crawful

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Just a thought ; how about an eye exam?  He seems to be having trouble picking up the flight of the ball , both at bat and in the field. Could be a vision problem.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

You can't dump him yet. You have to give him I would think half a season (next year) at least to see if he can turn it around. If the Sox make the playoffs maybe he will show us something. The number 2 or 3 spot is where he needs to be. He is never going to be worth his contract, but like stated at least 30 steals would be nice.
    Posted by antiqueman1

I agree...give him until June 30, 2012 to turn around...then trade/dump him.  Kalish will be more than ready by then!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The first think you need to do is manage your own expectations.  As of May 1, Crawford has been incredibly faithful to his career averages.  If his line looked like this ... .283 / .314 / .449 / .764 how would you feel about him?  Maybe those numbers look much better in the TB lineup than the do the Boston lineup? Crawford was brought here because after 2010, the FO did not trust Ellsbury, and Crawford had the profile to replace him.  Face it - Crawford is your Ellsbury extension.  The fact that Crawford had a terrible April, and Ellsbury a terrific year, doesn't change that fact.  So when you look at the $20M, you must also factor in either 3 years of Crawford / Ellsbury in the lineup together (Ellsbury at arbitration salary) plus 2 compensation draft picks, or the return we can get from trading Ellsbury over the winter, which right now would be pretty high. 
    Posted by slomag

Not really fair to look at his career numbers. His numbers for the last 4 years are .301/.348/.457/.805. Plus he averaged 45 steals a year. Still not 20mm numbers but more what the Sox expected.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful : Good point...I wish Jim Rice would have done the same in 1988....it could be his vision but I think he is pressing like crazy. When you press you don't trust your talent and you try to do too much...and end up swinging at 58 foot breaking balls in the dirt.
    Posted by thepeskypole6

please do us all a favor. you being the 'king of apologists' on this board, i'd like you, after the 3rd game in baltimore, to post an apology for the whole SOX team. you know, something THEO would say. should be easy for you.
    and if the SOX by some miracle do make the playoffs, i'll drop my guarantee. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Eye Exam and Lasik are good ideas

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I think Crawford will be better next year.  This is his first year in Boston and he suffered injuries too.  I think he'll be back to his old self next season.  Hopefully he turns it around sooner, should the Sox make the postseason.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful : LMAO...so if the Sox make the playoffs you will drop your guarantee that they won't make the playoffs? LMFAO...you get dumber by the day
    Posted by thepeskypole6

that "dropping the guarantee" was sarcastic, but you failed sarcasm in high school. but you got an A+ for sucking up.
    and don't be 'laughing your azz off,' you might get a concussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

1.  Relax and enjoy the remainder of his contract.  His tough first season is just that ... but he will be fine in the years to come.

2.  He hasn't stolen the bases everyone expected due to hamstring issues.  No one can really say that the guy doesn't work hard and keep in tremendous shape.  Hammys can be a lingering thing ... I think they have been all season long.   With that, his speed has been reduced ... but in the off season, they should focus on helping him recoup.  Of course, they should help him now with that, but that almost goes without saying.

3.  Stop belittling the guy because the FO offered him the surprising golden egg.  Like you wouldn't sign ...   Start to get behind him, tough start or not.  Wouldn't you rather see him enjoy being a Red Sox than suffer through the kind of scathing treatment .... no, I guess some of you would just rather keep tearing into him ....

4.  Give him all the time he needs to become a more and more positive force for the Red Sox, the team we ... LOVE .... (I realize that love and hate are hard to discriminate with some of us ... they are so close to each other.  High emotions, polar opposites ...)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade him for another salary dump player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Yaz good points.....it is not Crawfords fault that his services were valued at a certain rate by teams and that the Nationals decided to give Werth the big contract which raised his value. His Agent got him as much as he could and Crawford did what we all would do and took it. If what he makes handcuffs the team going further in other personnel issues that is Theo's fault not Crawfords. We can say he hasnt performed yet and wish he had done better, but if we think he is going to be here for years to come, we might as well support him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

For pete's sake people....it's only been one season. Give him a year to redeem himself before the blog mob rails him out of town. He's not the one putting up 3 to 5 runs under the opposition's scoreboard before the 3rd inning in every game these last 30 days. If the Yanks had signed him all of you including myself would have been breaking down Theo's door to voice our opinion as to why didn't the Sox sign him. Stop your darn whining. Live with it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

DFA Crawful, for non performance. Fire Theo and his private detective, too. I love the posters who say you can't get rid of Crawful, because he'll be better next season. He will NEVER justify his insane contract and craps up the LF for the next six years. LF is where your bombers play, not some low OBP speed guy, who's a pop gun hitter.
    Posted by tbrod

You can't blame Crawford for the money he got. Keep blaming Theo and company for that one. Let me ask you tbrod. What if Gonzo were batting 250 this year. Would you dump him? Go SOX

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, if we stick to the point - of what to do w/ him - then blame means nothing

the only thing that matters is what would you do moving forward

i try and find a match to dump him - Henry would have to approve eating at least 25 million and/or taking on at least 50 million in another's team's problem

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I still say let him have his dibs.  This season, next and even beyond. 

Too many have cut him off too soon.

He will prove his worth - I have no doubt about that.  Maybe not the 20 mill a year, but few are worth that (none, in my opinion)

I agree with tomnev and walk2run as well ... we woulda been very unhappy with Theo if the Boombers signed him.

One thing this does prove, the impatience with Crawford, is that many of us would never make major league hitters ourselves.  No patience, no plate regimen.  Always lunging and swinging ...

Including me ... but then I knew that ...  and I bail on a high inside heater ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: What do to with Cr-Awful : Not really fair to look at his career numbers. His numbers for the last 4 years are .301/.348/.457/.805. Plus he averaged 45 steals a year. Still not 20mm numbers but more what the Sox expected.
    Posted by tomnev

Even against the last 4 years, his performance since May 1 is not far removed from the average.  OBP is really the only difference - move him into the one or two slot, and he'll have Pedroia / Ortiz / Gonzalez for protection instead of Scutaro & Salty - you'll see a bump in both average and OBP in a hurry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yaz good points.....1)it is not Crawfords fault that his services were valued at a certain rate by teams and 2) that the Nationals decided to give Werth the big contract which raised his value. 3) His Agent got him as much as he could and Crawford did what we all would do and took it.  4) If what he makes handcuffs the team going further in other personnel issues that is Theo's fault not Crawfords. 5) We can say he hasnt performed yet and wish he had done better, but if we think he is going to be here for years to come, we might as well support him
    Posted by tomnev

Five for five, tom.

Not bad  :oD

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

well, if we stick to the point - of what to do w/ him - then blame means nothing the only thing that matters is what would you do moving forward i try and find a match to dump him - Henry would have to approve eating at least 25 million and/or taking on at least 50 million in another's team's problem
    Posted by andrewmitch

You can't do anything with Krawford. He is an untouchable. Very few teams have the budget for a  $142 million  contract for one player. The Yankees, Phillies, Tigers, Nationals(maybe), Rangers(maybe) . So he will be in Boston for a long time.
    All his defenders, fail to admit, fundamentally he is already a bust, for the money for sure. The man has 23 walks in over 500 PA's , must be his hamstring. Need a good hamstring to take a walk.

He swings at anything , must be his wunderlich score. He is a card carrying TURKEY. He's a carpet hitter, small market phenom, hands of stone in the outfield, no arm, and no place to hide.

While it's no fault of his, Theo backed up the Brinks Truck to sign him, Crawford had to realise what he was getting himself into coming to Boston, with it's witch burning history. Nice place , but  a few skeleton's in the closet. Not a real forgiving place.

If Crawford thought he could come to Boston, sign a mega buck deal and not be in the spot light , he's dumber than...  of yes the Wunderlich. At this point, they couldn't trade Crawford and $50 million , for Rudy Seanz and he is out of baseball.

Sections
Shortcuts