What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation starter?

Do you feel he is going to be blossoming into a true ace, a front of the rotation starter, or will he never get his act together with the Sox?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation star...

Unless he can get his walks under control, he will be a trick or treat pitcher a lefty version of Dice-K.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation star...

If Theo knew the answer then he wouldn't need to consider adding starting pitching depth before the trading deadline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

He's a work in progress. The question is do the Sox have the luxury to let him pitch every five days?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Since we have a pretty solid three of Beckett-Lester-Buch under very reasonable contracts for at least the 3 seasons after this then Miller has to be nothing but a 4th starter whose starts average out to about 6 innings w/ an ERA kept around 4.5 and the club winning 2 of the 3 times he takes the mound.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

He was a #6 overall pick.  He has the potential to be an ace in any rotation, but he's running out of time realizing that potential.

He's really just had one bad outing so far, but the walks are creeping up with each start.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

To answer the posting question:  Yes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"The question is do the Sox have the luxury to let him pitch every five days?"

Red Sox record by starter:
    Beckett   12-5
    Lester 11-7
    Buchholz 9-5
    Wakefield 8-4
    Lackey 7-8
    Miller 5-1
    Matsuzaka 4-3
    Weiland 1-1
    Aceves 1-3

Record when Beckett, Lester, or Buchholz take the mound: 32-17 (.653)
    Record for the rest: 27-20 (.574)

At this point a .550 record over the remaining 66 games would bring them to 95 wins and a near-certain playoff berth. I don't think they are in ANY danger of missing that as long as Beckett and Lester are healthy.

Unless you want to give the starts to Weiland and move Miller to the bullpen, I think Miller gets another 3-4 starts. When Buchholz returns you re-evaluate him at that time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is a incomplete story still. The walks today were troubling. His ability to move on from the potential disaster after getting a DP ball encouraging.

Total work in progress with demerits for the BB's today and high marks for getting past it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

he has the potential to be a front of the rotation starter, but he does not seem be able to put it all together. He has walked 11 over his last 2 starts. He was lucky to make it through this his start today allowing no runs. If he walked 6 against a better team his line would have been much worse. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I doubt that he ever reaches the overpowering top of the rotation status...but if the kid can continue to refine his command there's no reason he can't become a very good middle of the rotation guy on a contending club. Potential and stuff is there, but after now 5 years of struggling, it's hard to see him morphing into a guy like Lester...`

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i have to agree with Beantowne. Miller has struggled for 5 years now and its hard to seem him turning into a front of the rotation guy. He doesnt have the confidence and mental toughness to be an ace. His biggest problem throughout his career has been his control. While it looked liked he had finally harnessed it in pawtucket and through his first few starts for the sox, his last 2 have been a major regression. 11 walks over his last 2 starts. And his start against the rays was just a complete meltdown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ressler4444. Show ressler4444's posts

I agree with rameakap, but I would say the kid needs to just pitch EVERY fifth day and stop considering everyone else's idea of his potential, after all he is much more talented than any of us. Everyone wants a rotation of five aces, but in reality that will never happen. This kid just turned 26 and has just over 300 innings pitched in his career, so he is a fine fourth guy and the most important stat of all is winning and as thirtysomething pointed out the sox are 5-1 in his starts. After all he cost a hell of a lot less than Dice-K.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He reminds me of a talented young race horse: dreamy potential but awkward and hard to control.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Obviously simple, remove the walks a #1 or #2 Keep the walks a #5 or #8. Randy took a long time as well,, this kid has plus potential, but lets face it, sooner or later you have to find the plate. seems taller (6'4" plus pitchers) struggle to gain control. If they ever do you have a beast, if they dont, you have a flop. I hope Miller for his own sake where ever he plays ends up is a beast. Seems like a great kid, he did all the right things this year in staying with a team that believed in him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In a word, yes.  He is anything and nothing so far, but just maybe he is a keeper. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The most important facts to consider are his age (just turned 26) his height and that he's left-handed. The last fact has undoubtably accounted for teams always being willing to give him "one more chance". But players develop differently and long, gangly pitchers take longer to nail down consistency in their deliveries. The Sox should definitely take advantage of the holes in their current rotation to trot him out there every five days to see what he can do. By season's end, or by next season, they may be very happy they did. On our staff, when everyone's healthy, he's at best a number five, but a very solid one at that. But if Dice never comes back, and Wake finally hangs 'em up, he and Lackey are our 4/5 for the next few seasons.
    He's probably a kid who didn't get quality coaching as a high school pitcher because he was so effective as just a flamethrower that he got the results the high school coaches were looking for, wins. High school hitters don't have the plate discipline to lay off pitches outside the zone. Considering how high he was drafted, he probably got similar results in college. But professional hitters will make him throw strikes, and they will mash strikes that get too much of the plate. If it was easy, anyone could do it, but it's very difficult to consistently hit the outer three or four inches of the strike zone, with speed and movement, with grown men ready to let the ones outside stay outside and mash the ones in the middle down your throat.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation starter?:
    In a word, yes.  He is anything and nothing so far, but just maybe he is a keeper. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Max is neutral which is an improvement over his normal "wet blanket" personna.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

EXCELLENT POST, JID.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

his stuff is good enough.....his control scares me.  I thought he was getting some real unfair ball/strikes calls earlier today, but then it seemed like he legitimately lost his control and was allll over the place today.  Was he struggling with his control from the onset or did maybe his frustration with the umpire mess him up? IDK......but as bad is it got today, he did recovery rather well and pitched pretty good for the remainder of the game.  

So yes 5 walks is troublesome considering control is a big issue with him, but to me there was reason to be optimistic with his start today......I think we need to see more of him to truly see what we have. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Keep running him out there for now, he MAY just get pretty good. I think his upside is higher than Wake, Lackey, or ( shudder ) Millwood.

Is it just me who noticed that the kid threw 5 + innings of TWO-HIT SHUTOUT ball today ???
    Yeah, walks can hurt; yeah, the double play saved his butt.But maybe a little wildness kept hitters " uncomfortable" ? And nobody advances 2 bases on a walk.

" J-u--u-u-st a BIT outside"  on one pitch, LOL !
    Even an 80 % version of Randy J. in his prime would be a GREAT result !
    Where are all the Theo haters NOW ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Andrew Miller is 26 years old, which is about when he should be blossoming as a starter (see Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz), however is not yet in his prime so development is always possible. He was greatly mishandled by his previous organizations, I think the Sox can mend this guy into a solid number 3 starter from what I've seen. I don't see an ace in him, I don't see him being casted away as a number 5 at best, however most importantly, I don't think what you see this season is what you'll get with him. Expect Miller to be a name we talk about again come 2012 and 2013, be it good or bad talk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

My only issue with miller, which has been the case with a lot of our # 5 guys is innings pitched.  He has great stuff, but his control is an issue.  going out and giving up a run or none but only going 5 or 6 may seem like a good deal, but I'd rather have a guy give up 4 runs and go 8 innings (back of the rotation starter) 

I see Miller as more of a middle of the rotation starter if he can get his control...under control.  He has shown some promise with the Sox, and I'm interested in what he will do for the rest of the season. The ball is in Miller's court.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: What do you make of Andrew Miller?-potential to be overpowering top of the rotation or mediocre back of the rotation starter?:
    I doubt that he ever reaches the overpowering top of the rotation status...but if the kid can continue to refine his command there's no reason he can't become a very good middle of the rotation guy on a contending club. Potential and stuff is there, but after now 5 years of struggling, it's hard to see him morphing into a guy like Lester...`
    Posted by Beantowne

That pretty much sums it up.

Sections
Shortcuts