What do you miss about Wakefield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: What do you miss about Wakefield?

Just think everyone, if you all put Softy on ignore he won't have anyone to write back to. I'm starting my own campaign. IGNORE THE SOFT ONE BY PUTTING HIM ON IGNORE. Sort of the same as: 

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Hetch

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

The 70 mph Fast Ball

the blistering 70 MPH fastball*

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

wake was a selfless guy at times, and other times he was all about himself...as usual these posts are lacking in perspective...he wasnt just the guy who sacrificed himself to get slauightered by the yanks in the postseaso and saved the pitching core for an epic comeback - he was also not just the guy who was delusional in his last days trying to get that last win by convincing himself the fans "deserved" it...

the sum of a guy is what's important and he served the Sox well except for his last few years (minus-the all start first half)

sounds about right. He showed how much of a "team guy" he could be, but at the end it was all about HIS record.

So wrong southie. I'm surprised.

I understand and acknowledge the selfless things he has done for this team and for the community. I think the way he said that we all deserve to see him break the record rubbed me the wrong way.

I will always have respect for wake and the things he did for this team and town. I really do think in the end it was about his record.

I don't. If it was all about the record. He'd have announced his retirement after the season. Wake was a fierce competitor. A couple statements might have come out wrong or been wrong to some extent, but he was all about the team winning. It's not like his goal personal conflicted with the team's goal- like Ripken hurting the team to play everyday. Wake's goal was to win each game he played in- that is not a harmful goal.

He did not pitch that poorly after his 199th win. The bats and pen let him down a bit, but he never complained or pulled any Lackey mound antics. 

His last 2 years were not great, but if you look at his starts and how many of them were good enough to keep us in the game, he was not as bad as the 5.22 ERA indicated. More importantly, he was not even close to the leading candidate for assigning blame for the 2011 missed playoffs. Nor was our back-up catcher.

Moon, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I would never blame him in any way for 2011, thats not what I was saying. maybe the way it ended overall made that statement leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

The 70 mph Fast Ball

the blistering 70 MPH fastball*

Wake has his very own Oxymoron

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the person(s) who should get the blame for trotting Wake way past his expiration date are Theo and Francona...they enabled him year after year in his 40s with bargain basement contracts and then lauded him for his service...naturally the guy felt a sense of entitlement - but a real manager would have told the GM, "I dont want him, and I cant use him - he cant field the position, we have to have a caddy for him/waste a roster space, and he cant be trusted with a big lead"...so dont blame Wakefield for wanting to play and get paid when other folks his age were retired for 7 years or so

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Wakefield was an okay pitcher who relied on a novelty pitch and stuck around for a long time.

I don't have any idea why people either dislike him or like him so much.

I think about him as much as I do Mike Torrez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Since you ask ...

I miss the pro's pro approach Wake brought for 17 seasons. I miss his unselfish personality and character, for which he was rewarded by winning the Roberto Clemente Award.

What I'll never miss are those too blind and/or ignorant to see the true value of a man.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I miss watching him cover first.

WOW ! Time to get a life....

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many catchers were able to catch the "goofball". Some catchers could not.

The fact that a pitcher throws a pitch that is so good, the hitter swings and misses by a foot, but it also fools some specific catchers should not be a knock on the pitch.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In fact, no catchers could catch an acceptable percentage of the goodfball. Anytime there was a runner on base and/or 2 strikes, the catcher was swatting flies with a broom.

The absurdity is that baseball fans would think that watching hitters swing and miss makes the goofball a one pitch monte work of wonder. In fact, the catchers can't catch the goofball because it's a wild pitch. If that's just about all a pitcher has, he becomes little more than a bottom of the barrel starting pitcher with stats that don't reveal "the problem".

so RA Dickey winning the Cy Young is............... bottom of the barrell??

"The absurdity is that baseball fans would think that watching hitters swing and miss makes the goofball a one pitch monte work of wonder."

shame on baseball fans who laud a pitch that makes batter miss!! FOR SHAAAAMEE!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In fact, no catchers could catch an acceptable percentage of the goodfball. Anytime there was a runner on base and/or 2 strikes, the catcher was swatting flies with a broom.

The absurdity is that baseball fans would think that watching hitters swing and miss makes the goofball a one pitch monte work of wonder. In fact, the catchers can't catch the goofball because it's a wild pitch. If that's just about all a pitcher has, he becomes little more than a bottom of the barrel starting pitcher with stats that don't reveal "the problem".

Mirabelli caught them. Others did not. It was clearly not all Wake's fault.

Catchers dropped many pitches by Wake that were called strikes. I suppose you'd call that a wild pitch too.

If there was a fastball pitcher who threw stikes at 130 mph, and the some catchers couldn't catch it, would you call that pitcher a bum?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Dickey didn't totally depend on the goofball. He throws a varitey of pitches.

Mirabellie didn't catch them well enough, even if he was better than others. The stupidity was wasting two roster spots on the guy, when even the better catcher couldn't stop the wild pitches from allowed scads of runs that were scored "passed balls".

False. Dickey also throws a fastball and a curveball. that is hardly a variety of pitches. especially when you consider the frequency he throws his secondary pitches..

in 2012, he threw the knuckler 84% of the time. Opponents batted .215 against it. He threw his fastball 15% of the time and opponents hit .277 off of it. He threw the curve only 1% of the time and opponents batted .313 off of it. So you are wrong -again- He doesn't throw a "variety" of pitches. He throws a knuckleball.. and when he doesn't throw the knuckler, he gets lit up.

Starters who throw a "variety" of pitches have 4 or 5 pitches they can effectively throw. R A Dickey only has 2 pitches he can throw effectively. little league pitchers have a larger repertoire..

you lose again.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Starters who throw a "variety" of pitches have 4 or 5 pitches they can effectively throw. R A Dickey only has 2 pitches he can throw effectively. little league pitchers have a larger repertoire..

You obviously haven't played little league.

Dickey's year was a fluke, in NL ball. But his fastball separates him from Wakefield, as well as the curveball which is frequently falsely logged in as a goofball.  

i pitched in little league :) that's how i know.

and you can't phanagle your way out of your idiotic statements... he rarely throws his fastball (granted it IS better than Wakes... even though that is irrellevant) and he throws the Curveball much much much less than that. There is a big difference between a curveball and a knuckleball....... you can spot the difference from the nosebleed seats soft one. So even if i believed that you watched enough of his starts and took note of all the curve balls he threw. i definitely wouldn't believe that real baseball analysts mistook a curveball for a knuckleball.... so maybe it was YOU who didn't play little league..

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

granted it IS better than Wakes

Case closed.

i can throw a better fastball than wake... it is irrellevant to the discussion.. especially considering the frequency in which Dickey throws his FB.

the fact that you ignored the entirety of my argument and focused on an irrellevant side-note speaks volumes about this debate.

you sir, have been checkmated. Lay down your king.

you disagree?? prove it.

I'll wait.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Forget about the " fastball " or " curveball " .  Dickey throws a faster " knuckleball " than Wakefield did.  It has a later  , if smaller , break , but does not " hang " as often. It is tougher to square up and easier to catch than Tim's pitch.  Wakefield may have had a better one at one time , but lost plenty in his later days.