What do you miss about Wakefield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What do you miss about Wakefield?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Starters who throw a "variety" of pitches have 4 or 5 pitches they can effectively throw. R A Dickey only has 2 pitches he can throw effectively. little league pitchers have a larger repertoire..

You obviously haven't played little league.

Dickey's year was a fluke, in NL ball. But his fastball separates him from Wakefield, as well as the curveball which is frequently falsely logged in as a goofball.  

A 3 year fluke?

Man, when you are wrong: you are soooooo wrong!

2010:  2.84  1.187 WHIP

2011:  3.28  1.227

2012:  2.73  1.053

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

still waiting on your rebuttal softlaw.....

unless you want to admit you were wrong.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

You were already rebutted, with another poster chiming in as your bubble popped. I've noted that you believe RA is going to have a big year in the AL East

DG said nothing to help you out....

To recap:

You said all knuckleballers were the bottom of the barrell..

I said that RA Dickey just won the CYA so clearly your logic is flawed.

You responded that RA Dickey throws a "variety" of pitches therefore he doesn't rely on a "bottom of the barrell" pitch.

i blew up your spot with facts and proved that he threw mainly a knuckleball with high success. He only threw a non-KNB 16% of the time and did not fare well. On top of that i proved he only threw 2 effective pitches in 2012 whereas a starter with a "veriety" of pitches can throw 4-5 well.

Your cunning retort to that checkmate was that the many curveballs he threw were wrongly classified as KNBs. Which anyone who has seen a KNB and a curveball before knows that they are vastly different and can be distinguished from eachother from a mile away.

DGs response has done nothing to help your case that:

A) Dickey is a bottom of the barrell pitcher

B) he throws a "variety" of pitches

C) his 2012 season was a fluke

so yes, i am still waiting for your rebuttal. unless you'd just like to admit defeat. chump.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Secondarily, his selflessness (cue the 200-win blowhards....sure, he wanted it, and the Sox' alltime win total too, and I don't blame him for it).....always willing to take one for the team.....relieve for a couple of years...even close at one point!  Sign a hugely team-favourable contract...hugely underpaid for years and never moaned, etc.

But his consistency - if viewed in a mid- or long-term sense - was amazing.  Pitch to pitch, game to game, week to week anything could happen....that's the nature of his pitch.  But look at his career stats...when he was a pure starter his peripheral stats were very consistent.  The won/loss guys never liked him.....and I was always in favour of him not starting in the post-season due to the unpredictability of his pitch game-to-game....but he was a cheap, solid, predictable stud (wink wink, Stiffy) for years.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

granted it IS better than Wakes

Case closed.

i can throw a better fastball than wake... it is irrellevant to the discussion.. especially considering the frequency in which Dickey throws his FB.

the fact that you ignored the entirety of my argument and focused on an irrellevant side-note speaks volumes about this debate.

you sir, have been checkmated. Lay down your king.

you disagree?? prove it.

I'll wait.......

An interesting little factoid is that checkmate has its origins in the Arabic term shah mat, which means the king is dead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A  fluke?

Here's his last 3 years....

2010:  2.84  1.187 WHIP

2011:  3.28  1.227

2012:  2.73  1.053

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

IS THERE IS ANY RELATION TO THE FAILURE OF THE RED SOX LAST YEAR TO NOT HAVING WAKEFIELD ON THE TEAM.

IMHO YES