What do you think about Varitek as a manager?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

What do you think about Varitek as a manager?

I realize he is inexperienced, but what do you think about Jason Varitek as the next manager of the Sox?

He is still young and I think would have a tremendous amount of energy and passion devoted toward the job.

He’s very respected by the players and the media – two things that are extremely important.

On the other hand, as I said earlier, he does not have experience. And he was a member of the team that did collapse last year.

Having said that, could Varitek be a Robin Ventura-like hire, a younger guy who could come to a team needing a change and provide a spark?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Re: What do you think about Varitek as a manager?

I think he'll make a good manager someday, but not for this team. He's too close to the players. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think about Varitek as a manager?:
    [QUOTE]I think he'll make a good manager someday, but not for this team. He's too close to the players. 
    Posted by Motown9009[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.  The guy is 1 year removed from being part of this disfunction, don't think he is the guy to turn it around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I think his 3rd or 4th wife just said on tweetie "my husband would make a great manager".... lol. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Way too close to many of the players on this team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

so close that he was part of the problem and not a solution

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think he wants to wait until his daughters are done with school. At least a few years. Im sure he wants to spend more time with them as he hasnt got much of a chance playing MLB the last 15yrs or so...Plus, why in Gods name would he want to jump in the middle of this mess with all the guys hes played with before...My guess is that if he wants to manage it will be at least 5 years before he does at the MLB level...maybe a pt role in ST or consultant of some sort, but not a FT manager any time soon...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pitching coach, baby.  The next Dave Duncan!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bumping thread to rid the front page of 2004 idiots redundancy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ws2012. Show Ws2012's posts

After a few years in Portland ,pawtucket etc and after paying his dues maybe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

These band of prima donnas would turn on him just like they did on Tito. I am wondering if San Diego was secretly happy about Adrian Gonzalez leaving now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He could be a manager, but he need to start off as a bench coach or manager somewhere down in the farm system to learn how to become a major league manager.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

I would personally rather see Nomar. As far as due diligence, if they can make Ventura an effective coach, why not Nomar or Varitek?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

During the Civil War they had a general policy not to promote junior officers to command of the regiment they had been serving in because familiarity with the men could cause discipline problems. It's probably a good policy over all, though there were some instances where it might have been better overlooked. I think Tek would make a great manager, but I'm not sure that enough time has passed since the mess of 11 that he did little to stop. It's like the Colonel of a regiment getting killed in a battle, having a junior captain or lieutenant take over command temporarily, and do nothing to get the unit out of trouble. If he's to be considered for promotion, a failure during a brief command crisis goes against him. "You had temporary command at the battle of so and so, and did very little to get the regiment out of that tight spot." The question is, do you think with the turmoil being what it is on this team, he is the correct guy to set things right? I'd vote for more the Davey Johnson, Kirk Gibson type, but they are spoken for. I offer a firm "I'm not sure" on this one. He's capable, but man, I can't forget 2011.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

[QUOTE]He could be a manager, but he need to start off as a bench coach or manager somewhere down in the farm system to learn how to become a major league manager.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]  Just about anyone who knows the game and catchers are generally viewed as the most knowledgeable managerial candidates make Varitek a name that will be floated from time to time.  Same was true of Fisk and there are a number of former catchers who have been successful in the role.  The vetting process of experience is useful but not mandatory. 

That being said, I do not believe that Jason Varitek would be on my list as being a viable option for the following reasons:

1.  He was a "Captain" in name only because his teams were filled with narcissists and prima donnas and he was in the right place at the right time.  He endeared himself to the media by talking to them on almost every teammates' behalf after wins and losses and the media reciprocated by protecting his character flaws, rapidly deteriorating peformance between the lines for several years for reasons other than "old age" and overstating his contributions both in the clubhouse and on the field.

2.  When I think of Varitek's demeanor through the years, I viewed him as a quiet guy who did not want to be in the spotlight, but had it thrust upon him.  Fiery, passionate, professional and savvy are not necessarily adjectives which come to mind when I reflect on his career as a player.  Garciaparra who has been mentioned would be an even worse choice.  Players love to play for guys who sulk and whine and wear the emotions on their shirtsleeves.

I really don't know who would be an effective manager for the Sox in 2013 (none us of really do) and I suppose the best case scenario is someone from the outside who can manage huge egoes and get the best out of the guys he pencils in the lineup.  A leader of men rather than "one of the boys" or a cheerleader and enabler.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to What do you think about Varitek as a manager?:
    [QUOTE]I realize he is inexperienced, but what do you think about Jason Varitek as the next manager of the Sox?   He is still young and I think would have a tremendous amount of energy and passion devoted toward the job.   He’s very respected by the players and the media – two things that are extremely important.   On the other hand, as I said earlier, he does not have experience. And he was a member of the team that did collapse last year.   Having said that, could Varitek be a Robin Ventura-like hire, a younger guy who could come to a team needing a change and provide a spark?
    Posted by Zetterberg80[/QUOTE]

Good bullpen coach or bench coach would work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If it meant firing BV, I'd name Varitek the manager today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]If it meant firing BV, I'd name Varitek the manager today.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]How do you really feel about Bobby danny? As far as Varitek as a manager, it's not the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Pitching coach, baby.  The next Dave Duncan!
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this idea 2 years ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Every manager was inexperienced before he landed his first job. That's hardly an excuse for his not getting the job.

Nobody doubts Varitek's baseball knowledge, or the condition of his little grey cells.

Does he have the temperament? I don't know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he would need to start in the minors to see if he likes it and has an ability to manage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Tek should manage single A

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

As others have said, he is too close to this current team to be an effective manager.  I think he will make a fine manager for the Red Sox some day, but that time is not right.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts