what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time?

to me, it's a no brainer. bottom of the 9th inning with two men on. into the batters box steps a very young hitter named Ted Williams. The rest is history. He hit a towering home run to right field to win the game for the american league allstars. the year was 1941.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time?

Pretty simple......

The second All-Star game was held on July 10 at the New York Polo Grounds. Once again, the batting line-up featured some of the best hitters in baseball. This game however, belonged to a pitcher, Carl Hubbell. Although he started off poorly, he turned in perhaps one of the most spellbinding performances ever seen in baseball.

First, Charlie Gehringer led off with a single and moved to second on an outfield error. Then, Heinie Manush drew a walk bringing up Ruth, Gehrig and Foxx with two on, none out. It was a pitcher's worst nightmare. Hubbell accepted the challenge and began turning over his screwball with pinpoint precision. It was a delivery that was designed to break the backs of free swingers. Ruth was the first to fall after taking a called third strike and looking "decidedly puzzled," according to one account. Gehrig followed and went down swinging. Visibly frustrated, he apparently warned Foxx on his way back to the dugout, "You might as well cut. It won't get any higher." The advice didn't help; Foxx went down on strikes. In the second inning, Hubbell made it five in a row when he struck out Al Simmons and Joe Cronin.

from baseball-almanac.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I thought it was the Oldtimer AS at Fenway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time?:
    [QUOTE]I thought it was the Oldtimer AS at Fenway.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

when was that Jimmah? although I did enjoy Babe's little story. I still believe that it was Mr. .406 myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The AS game at Fenway 1999 where Ted came out in a golf cart. Tony Gwynn helped him throw out the first pitch. Then Martinez showed how good he was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time? : when was that Jimmah? although I did enjoy Babe's little story. I still believe that it was Mr. .406 myself.

Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

C'mon hammah, even a blind homer like yourself can see that striking out 5 HOF's in a row is a more impressive feat than hitting a HR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

ha! Babe, you crack me up. yeah striking out 5 HOF's is impressive. but being the Hugh Red Flop Hommah that I am, seeing film of "the kid" hitting that walk off really does it for me.........that and not really related was watching Mickey Mantle strike out swinging on 3 pitches against Dick Radatz back in the early 60's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

posted at 7/6/2011 2:12 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=07a04df6679330fd384eda5dbbacf0db&plckUserId=07a04df6679330fd384eda5dbbacf0db">
    First: 5/30/2008
    Last: 7/6/2011
    The AS game at Fenway 1999 where Ted came out in a golf cart. Tony Gwynn helped him throw out the first pitch. Then Martinez showed how good he was.

wow Jim, I paid a fortune but was at that game and I gotta tell you something. It was absolutely glorious to see the greatest hitter in my lifetime come out surrounded by all those great players. the only thing that totally pizzed me off was that his moron of a son put that hitters.net cap on him instead of a red sox cap. you should have seen me Jim. I was clapping with tears running down my face.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]The AS game at Fenway 1999 where Ted came out in a golf cart. Tony Gwynn helped him throw out the first pitch. Then Martinez showed how good he was.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Very close to what I was thinking...but it was when every All Star crowded around the cart to shake his hand. 50+ current stars all being in awe, that was awesome. And in the midst of it all, there's Ted, bending Gwynn's ear about hitting.

Amazing.

And Lebron James, ditching #23 "out of respectt" switches to #6, wanting a number unassociated with anyone. Ignorant f^^king pr!ck. I loathe the NBA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time? posted at 7/6/2011 2:12 PM EDT www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=07a04df6679330fd384eda5dbbacf0db&plckUserId=07a04df6679330fd384eda5dbbacf0db " /> JimfromFlorida Posts: 3193 First: 5/30/2008 Last: 7/6/2011 The AS game at Fenway 1999 where Ted came out in a golf cart. Tony Gwynn helped him throw out the first pitch. Then Martinez showed how good he was. wow Jim, I paid a fortune but was at that game and I gotta tell you something. It was absolutely glorious to see the greatest hitter in my lifetime come out surrounded by all those great players. the only thing that totally pizzed me off was that his moron of a son put that hitters.net cap on him instead of a red sox cap. you should have seen me Jim. I was clapping with tears running down my face.

That had to be awesome hammah. I remember watching that one on TV. I always had the utmost respect for Mr. Williams since I was a kid. I read a biography on him called "The Splendid Splinter" when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

I thought it was awesome how everyone paid their respects to him. And I do agree about the cap part. As much as I may hate the red flops, both Ted and the team deserved for him to be sporting a sawx cap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree about the 1999 game.....to watch 50 All stars crowd around Ted Williams like they were 9 years old again and just like every other fan was just awesome. Babe...when you mention books and Ted Williams it should remind everyone of the ultimate book on hitting....the Science of Hitting by Ted himself.....I remember devouring that when I was 8 years old sure it was going to make me the best hitter in the neighborhood.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time? : That had to be awesome hammah. I remember watching that one on TV. I always had the utmost respect for Mr. Williams since I was a kid. I read a biography on him called "The Splendid Splinter" when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I thought it was awesome how everyone paid their respects to him. And I do agree about the cap part. As much as I may hate the red flops, both Ted and the team deserved for him to be sporting a sawx cap.
    Posted by The---Babe---[/QUOTE]

thanks Babe for the kind response. allow me to return the favor. even as a die hard red flops fan I had the utmost respect for "Joltin Joe, Whitey Ford and of course the Yog! I can also tell you that back in 60 when I was 12 years old my dad took me to a sox/yanks game and I got to eye witness probably the greatest display of hitting I've ever seen in my life time. I saw Teddy Ballgame take batting practice and saw Mickey Mantle as well. In this era with all the doping and crapp I saw balls fly out of fenway that day that I still remember to this day. teddy has his red chair out in right field Babe, but I saw the Mick hit one totally out of fenway from straight center field. some really great memories Babe. awesome is what those guys were.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

1975 AS Game, Yaz's homer off Seaver....majestic

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time? : Very close to what I was thinking...but it was when every All Star crowded around the cart to shake his hand. 50+ current stars all being in awe, that was awesome. And in the midst of it all, there's Ted, bending Gwynn's ear about hitting. Amazing. And Lebron James, ditching #23 "out of respectt" switches to #6, wanting a number unassociated with anyone. Ignorant f^^king pr!ck. I loathe the NBA.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

per capita, the NBA does seem to have the highest percentage of a-holes than any other major sport.
    i hate it also.
    worst all-star moment--when pete rose destroyed ray fosse at homeplate.
    rose was a great ballplayer, but a rather stupid man.

i know the OP was 'greatest,' but i felt this moment needed to be touched upon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what do you think is the greatest all star moment of all time? : thanks Babe for the kind response. allow me to return the favor. even as a die hard red flops fan I had the utmost respect for "Joltin Joe, Whitey Ford and of course the Yog! I can also tell you that back in 60 when I was 12 years old my dad took me to a sox/yanks game and I got to eye witness probably the greatest display of hitting I've ever seen in my life time. I saw Teddy Ballgame take batting practice and saw Mickey Mantle as well. In this era with all the doping and crapp I saw balls fly out of fenway that day that I still remember to this day. teddy has his red chair out in right field Babe, but I saw the Mick hit one totally out of fenway from straight center field. some really great memories Babe. awesome is what those guys were.

Very cool hammah, I'm jealous. I have had the pleasure of meeting Whitey Ford as he lives a few blocks away from me. He still goes bar hopping and a friend of mine was a bartender at one of his local haunts. Her first day of work he comes in and she serves him and he introduces himself. Now, mind you, she's from Ireland and probably wouldn't know Babe Ruth if he was standing next to her. So she heads back down the other end of the bar and some of the locals ask her if she knew who he is. She's like "Yeah, his name is Whitey"....they all cracked up and proceeded to explain how he is a baseball legend. She says he is one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever meet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I dunno. I kind of like Pedro's performance in the 1999 AS Game at Fenway.  He K'd Barry Larkin, Larry Walker, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire and Jeff Bagwell in two innings, got the AS MVP for the game.  Not too shabby, though not as dramatic as  Williams' homer, I must admit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

When the AS game ended in a tie because they ran out of players.

Sections
Shortcuts