What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’

From WEEI

There are loads and loads of unwritten rules in baseball, especially in blowouts.

Nick Markakis thinks David Ortiz broke one of those Friday night in the swing off a 3-0 pitch from Kevin Gregg that precipitated the bench-clearing brawl between the Red Sox and Orioles at Fenway Park.

“I like the guy, I like Ortiz,” Markakis began. “I respect the way he plays the game but I think it was a little bush league, bottom of the eighth, two outs, up by six, swinging 3-0. I don’t think we were hitting anybody intentionally there. But if it’s got to come down to that, it’s got to come down to it.

“We’re in it as a team. He knows how to play the game. I think he’s going to look back on it and realize that he screwed up there but what happened, happened and it’s over.”

Markakis said he didn’t understand Ortiz charging Gregg, even after Gregg had words for him.

“Yeah, I don’t understand why he went after him,” the Orioles right fielder said. “It’s 3-0 pitch, two outs and you have a guy tagging up and a guy swinging at a 3-0 pitch in a six-run game. It doesn’t make sense. He knows the game better than that. Put us on their side and them on our side, it’s a little bush league. Like I said, I’m sure he’s going to look back and realize he made a mistake, charging our pitcher, regardless of what was said.”

What was said was what started the brawl between Gregg and Ortiz.

After hitting a fly ball to center fielder Adam Jones on the fourth pitch, Ortiz, who did not speak to the media after the game, was verbally challenged by Gregg as he made his way up the first base line.

“Play the game, play the game,” Gregg said. “This is part of the game is pitching in, play the game, get in the [batter's] box. He has the right to do whatever he wants. If he doesn’t like something, he has the right to come out there. That’s the way it works.

“I said, ‘You’re up seven runs. You hit a weak fly ball and run, run the bases and play the game right.’ He didn’t like it.”

Markakis believes this will light a fire under the hapless Orioles, who have been annihilated, 20-7, in the first two games combines and have given up double figures in runs in four of their last five, getting outscored, 50-18, in the process.

“If you ask me, this happened in the right spot at the right time. But we still have two games left with these guys and several more games after the break. We’re going to see them. We’re going to get our opportunities and they’re going to get their opportunities and we’ll just see how it works out.”

The Red Sox will play two more this weekend against the Orioles before facing the Birds at Camden Yards July 18-20.

Zach Britton was Friday’s culprit for the Birds, allowing eight runs on six hits while retiring just two batters Friday.

“There’s no reason we’re trying to hit him,” Britton said. “We’re getting our butt kicked. We’re not trying to hit him. That’s what you get. Big Papi. He is what he is, and that’s what happens.”

Britton said Friday was good for one thing – team chemistry.

“Right now, it’s great,” Britton said. “Not to say this is what baseball is about, but it I think it kind of brought us a little closer so hopefully, we go out and start playing some good baseball next two days. It starts with the starting pitchers so we need to kind of pull our head out of our butt and start doing something or we won’t be here very long.”

Back to Gregg, he said he had every right to pitch inside on three straight pitches that preceded the pop fly to center.

“He’s been leaning out over the plate the whole series, and he does all the time,” Gregg said. “I’m going to pitch in to be able to get him out. He disliked it. That’s part of the game. He doesn’t have to like it but I’m going to pitch in there to get him out. Apparently, he thought I was throwing at him but if I was going to throw at him, I would’ve hit him. If I was going to throw at a guy, I’m going to hit the guy, I’m not going to miss him. I believe I can hit a guy if I want to, and I wasn’t trying to hit him. I was trying to pitch in and get him out.”

Orioles manager Buck Showalter applauded his pitcher for his effort to lay claim to the inner part of the plate.

“You can’t let any team sit out there and do that and that’s the way Kevin pitches. I hope other guys take notice that you can’t constantly let people get extended and feel real confident,” said Showalter. “It is a game played by passionate men and they care about what they are doing. I’m sure [Gregg] took some exception to swinging 3-0 there and I’m sure [Ortiz] took exception of [Gregg] trying to pitch him in.

“It’s part of the game and there are lot of things that led up to that that some people don’t really notice but we do. We responded the right way and we’ll move on tomorrow. We’ve been wounded and some things happen out there that kind of wake up wounded people so let’s see what happens.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’

Would it have been better if Ortiz took the 3-0 pitch and perhaps drew a walk? 
    This whole thing about "padding the lead" is nuts - - - - one manager said it best "I'll stop trying to score runs if you stop trying to score runs"...........forget it, keep scoring until it's over - right Yogi!?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’

Honestly, I think Markakis has a point. But given what happened on the previous pitch, it was clear Ortiz was gonna swing no matter where the pitch was.

I'd have liked to have seen clearer heads prevail and him take that fourth pitch. But we've all played ball before, and we understand "heat of the moment."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’:
    [QUOTE]From WEEI There are loads and loads of unwritten rules in baseball, especially in blowouts. Nick Markakis thinks David Ortiz broke one of those Friday night in the swing off a 3-0 pitch from Kevin Gregg that precipitated the bench-clearing brawl between the Red Sox and Orioles at Fenway Park. “I like the guy, I like Ortiz,” Markakis began. “I respect the way he plays the game but I think it was a little bush league, bottom of the eighth, two outs, up by six, swinging 3-0. I don’t think we were hitting anybody intentionally there. But if it’s got to come down to that, it’s got to come down to it. “We’re in it as a team. He knows how to play the game. I think he’s going to look back on it and realize that he screwed up there but what happened, happened and it’s over.” Markakis said he didn’t understand Ortiz charging Gregg, even after Gregg had words for him. “Yeah, I don’t understand why he went after him,” the Orioles right fielder said. “It’s 3-0 pitch, two outs and you have a guy tagging up and a guy swinging at a 3-0 pitch in a six-run game. It doesn’t make sense. He knows the game better than that. Put us on their side and them on our side, it’s a little bush league. Like I said, I’m sure he’s going to look back and realize he made a mistake, charging our pitcher, regardless of what was said.” What was said was what started the brawl between Gregg and Ortiz. After hitting a fly ball to center fielder Adam Jones on the fourth pitch, Ortiz, who did not speak to the media after the game, was verbally challenged by Gregg as he made his way up the first base line. “Play the game, play the game,” Gregg said. “This is part of the game is pitching in, play the game, get in the [batter's] box. He has the right to do whatever he wants. If he doesn’t like something, he has the right to come out there. That’s the way it works. “I said, ‘You’re up seven runs. You hit a weak fly ball and run, run the bases and play the game right.’ He didn’t like it.” Markakis believes this will light a fire under the hapless Orioles, who have been annihilated, 20-7, in the first two games combines and have given up double figures in runs in four of their last five, getting outscored, 50-18, in the process. “If you ask me, this happened in the right spot at the right time. But we still have two games left with these guys and several more games after the break. We’re going to see them. We’re going to get our opportunities and they’re going to get their opportunities and we’ll just see how it works out.” The Red Sox will play two more this weekend against the Orioles before facing the Birds at Camden Yards July 18-20. Zach Britton was Friday’s culprit for the Birds, allowing eight runs on six hits while retiring just two batters Friday. “There’s no reason we’re trying to hit him,” Britton said. “We’re getting our butt kicked. We’re not trying to hit him. That’s what you get. Big Papi. He is what he is, and that’s what happens.” Britton said Friday was good for one thing – team chemistry. “Right now, it’s great,” Britton said. “Not to say this is what baseball is about, but it I think it kind of brought us a little closer so hopefully, we go out and start playing some good baseball next two days. It starts with the starting pitchers so we need to kind of pull our head out of our butt and start doing something or we won’t be here very long.” Back to Gregg, he said he had every right to pitch inside on three straight pitches that preceded the pop fly to center. “He’s been leaning out over the plate the whole series, and he does all the time,” Gregg said. “I’m going to pitch in to be able to get him out. He disliked it. That’s part of the game. He doesn’t have to like it but I’m going to pitch in there to get him out. Apparently, he thought I was throwing at him but if I was going to throw at him, I would’ve hit him. If I was going to throw at a guy, I’m going to hit the guy, I’m not going to miss him. I believe I can hit a guy if I want to, and I wasn’t trying to hit him. I was trying to pitch in and get him out.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter applauded his pitcher for his effort to lay claim to the inner part of the plate. “You can’t let any team sit out there and do that and that’s the way Kevin pitches. I hope other guys take notice that you can’t constantly let people get extended and feel real confident,” said Showalter. “It is a game played by passionate men and they care about what they are doing. I’m sure [Gregg] took some exception to swinging 3-0 there and I’m sure [Ortiz] took exception of [Gregg] trying to pitch him in. “It’s part of the game and there are lot of things that led up to that that some people don’t really notice but we do. We responded the right way and we’ll move on tomorrow. We’ve been wounded and some things happen out there that kind of wake up wounded people so let’s see what happens.”
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Gregg had no business saying anything to Papi.  He was clearly frustrated and as a result lost his cool.  Papi on the other hand should have just ignored Gregg so cooler heads should have prevailed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He just made a good point, there will be a day when Ortiz tell the world the Red Sox "treated me unfairly," .... irrelevant to today but you can tell Markakis does not care for Papi.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

This all reflects poorly on the manager as the players comments reflect the managers attitude and dogma; essentially Showalter looks like a crybaby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I love this.  Ortiz is in the wrong because he is swinging on a 3-0 pitch...that is somehow disrespectful to try and hit a 3-0 pitch after a guy tried hitting you with a pitch.  last time I checked hitting the ball doesn't players, but getting hit with a ball does.  Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to hit a 3-0 pitch when your up by 6 in the 8th....ESPECIALLY If I think a guy was just trying to hit me. 

Orioles are just looking for some attention because they are irrelevant because the s u c k. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Orioles do blow that is for sure.... I am all for scoring 25 runs too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Of course - do you think players like Gregg study other team's payroll as motivation for beating them?  or to rationalize behavior?  sure, he may know they have a big payroll w/ high priced stars but to have the exactly payroll figure engrained in his head tells me that the Oriole organization has a big chip on their shoulders w/ regard to the Sox and they allow it to permeate down to the players.  Let them eat cake!

Look, bottom line is that we have 2 more games to win and we have to work around Ortiz's suspsension.  Sox should sit down their guys and let them know that suspsesions are only acceptable if they are due from self-defense.  We can not afford any more missed time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’:
    . Nick Markakis

Good player.

Should know what bush league is.

He's been the captain of one of its teams ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Does anybody know what happened to moonslav's Part I, Part II, etc. threads? Have they been moved and still part of this or has it gone private? Thanks; I find that thread terriffic and miss seeing it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’:
    [QUOTE]Does anybody know what happened to moonslav's Part I, Part II, etc. threads? Have they been moved and still part of this or has it gone private? Thanks; I find that thread terriffic and miss seeing it.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Have you considered looking a bit harder? A know its a bit of a challenge but you could look on page two.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Maybe someone should tell Markakis that's it's also bush to throw at the opposition when you're getting your hat handed to you, especially a guy like Ortiz, who's always carried himself well on the field of play. Maybe Nick will remember this in a few years when it's his turn to play out his contract and finally sign with a Major league team. Wonder if he takes a hack in the same situation!

Also last I checked when the seasons over and a player is looking to sign a new contract. Teams look at his numbers to access his value, not sure they care if one of his numbers was bomb he hit on a 3-0 count up by six after getting "brushed" back 3 times.

I think the O's need to zip it and and just play ball, get back too playing out the string (once more). Then hopefully before this millinium is over field a squad that the fans of the Orioles, a once proud franchise can support! Sorry but crying over payroll is a joke Angelos has the cash, he just hordes it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

markakis is spot on...it was bush league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Nick Markakis' comments?; he calls David Ortiz swinging 3-0 ‘a little bush league’:
    [QUOTE]markakis is spot on...it was bush league.
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

sorry but I respectfully disagree...6 run leads at Fenway aren't nor isn't insurmountable given the freindly confines.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Oh come one Babe.  If the Yankees were up 6 runs at Yankee stadium vs. the Sox and Teixeira was thrown at 2 times in an at-bat then hit a 3-0 pitch over the fence you would be thinking "that's what you get for throwing at Teixeira" 

Do you think there is one player in the MLB that wouldn't want to hit a HR off a pitcher they thought was trying to hit them???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I Think Many players, including Sox players, think it's a little bush swinging at 3-0 pitches when up by a bunch, late in the game. Just like a guy stealing with a big lead, to me it's pointless. I really thought Ortiz would have just sucked it up and took the pitch and come out looking like the better player he is but can understand the heat of the battle thing. I also think it's really bush of Gregg trying to make a statement at that part of the game !! Obviously the ump thought his comments to Ortiz were bush Also because he was already being tossed before Papi took a Step towards him. If the Orioles think this is a good rallying Point to turn around their season then that just may explain why they are as bad as they are. I am, could be was, a Big Sholwater Fan and really expected more from his team this season. Concentrating on how much the other team makes as opposed to what's actually happening in the game is hardly a way to field a competitive team. Just ask Pittsburg and San Diego, who had little trouble, as recent as a week ago, against the Sox !! I'm guessing this is like the General said In Tora Tora Tora, " I'm Afraid all we did was to wake a sleeping giant" !! Good luck trying to intimidate the Sox with tactics like that episode last night !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

being outscored 20-3 is bush league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What I found interesting about the whole thing was that Showalter was invloved with discussions with the umps but Francona was nowhere to be found.
    Im sorry, but if the opposing manager is having a llengthly discussion with the umps, I'd be darn sure to be out there so i can hear it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Showalter prolonged the argument  because he wanted to make sure that Reddick was called out by abandoning third base during the heat of the fight. Did it occur to you that the protocol is for the umpires to advise each manager of their findings seperately? You seem to enjoy going out of your way to be critical of Tito all of the time no matter what. Are you really a Red Sox fan?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Personally, I have no problem with Ortiz swinging at a 3-0 pitch, but I have to say I think Ortiz is just as much to blame for the whole incident.  Take a look at the first pitch and tell me that was intentional on Gregg's part.  It was low and it wasn't even that far inside, and yet Ortiz stares him down....absolutely no reason for that at all....so what does Gregg do?  He comes in closer with the 2nd pitch and obviously tries to hit him with the 3rd pitch.  So does Gregg deserve some blame of adding fuel to the fire....absolutely....but the problem is that pitchers can't pitch inside nowadays without the hitters freaking out, and Ortiz is one of the worst for that.  As long as pitchers aren't throwing pitches at someone's head, I have no problem with pitchers coming inside....and besides, if I am not mistaken, I believe Red Sox pitchers lead the league in hitting opposing batters, which happens when you try to pitch inside the right way.  I long for the days of Don Baylor who would get hit by a pitch and just take his base.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Showalter prolonged the argument  because he wanted to make sure that Reddick was called out by abandoning third base during the heat of the fight. Did it occur to you that the protocol is for the umpires to advise each manager of their findings seperately? You seem to enjoy going out of your way to be critical of Tito all of the time no matter what. Are you really a Red Sox fan?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

riiight? I mean what was TIto doing during all this?  what is the right thing to do?  Stand and argue with the umpires, or spend time with your players trying to cool them off and get their heads back into the game.  Because I can't think of many times when a manager goes out to argue with an umpire and the opposing teams manager goes right out there and stands with him....as a matter of fact I can't think of one.   Tito stayed with his players....he did the right thing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

Nonsense.  Gregg was thrown out for making a comment to Ortiz.  Doesn't matter what he said, simply coming off the mound and challenging Ortiz was bush, and the ump immediately called him on it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

It will take more than last night's incident to pull the O's team together. The reality is, they stink and won't get better w/ the present owner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Are the Orioles who were calling everything "bush" admitting that their team was incapable of scoring 8 runs in the 9th inning like Boston did in the first inning?

Sections
Shortcuts