What do you think was Fenway Park's most memorable moment?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: What do you think was Fenway Park's most memorable moment?

THE ONE MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT??  IN FENWAY PARK HISTORY??  Wow, what a big order that is!

Each and every one of those pictures sparked a moment in my memory, some that I'd forgotten and many more that I hadn't.  In thinking back about them it makes me wonder how anyone who considers himself to be a baseball fan (or a Red Sox fan, for that matter) could ever conceive of razing the park.  It used to be that when I heard the announcer talk about baseball's "most beloved park" I thought it was just so much hyperbole, but now I agree, it IS Baseball's Most Beloved Park. 

But the most memorable moment in MY mind wasn't captured in those photos.  For me the most memorable moment was the very few minutes it took Johnny Pesky to raise the banner proclaiming the Boston Red Sox the World Champions of 2004.  It was the perfect confluence of the past, the present, and the hope for the future. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

WOW!!!  Great job 2004!!   You covered most moments I could think of.

But for me the like Bill-806 the most memorable moment was personal.  Opening day 1987...... My 9 year old son's first visit to Fenway.  

I got him/us opening day tickets as a Christmas present that year.  It was a long winter after the way 1986 had ended........  But eventually it was opening day........   I'll never forget the look on his face and in his eyes as we came up the runway between home plate, and first base, and he got his first look at the park from the inside!!

We walked the park, we got to the Green Monster, and of course he mentioned the foul pole even though he wasn't even born yet when Fisk immortailzed it. He saw for the first time real baseball players close up.  Heard the crack of the bat echo across the park, and so many other things one only can experience for the first time at the park.   Maybe the old dad was thinking of his first visit to the same park and reliving that moment through his son??!!! :-)

It left me thinking of this is what baseball is all about.   The dreams of every boy......  A few years later we saw Roger's 1 hitter but that moment is a distant second.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Personally, my most vivid memory of a Sox game at fenway was when Dick Pole had a line drive go off his head. I think it was 1975 vs the O's. I remember the ball went towards Petrocelli, who ignored the ball and went straight to Pole's aid. Rick Burleson had to retrieve the ball in foul territory. I think 2 guys scored and the batter ended up at 3B. I remember it made me think about the different personalities of players, namely Rico and Rick and how they reacted in that situation. I thought Pole was dead or would never play again, but he was back the next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The two that I saw in person was Tony C hitting a HR in his first Fenway AB. I was also at the game when he was beaned by Hamilton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vsports. Show vsports's posts

Darryl Strawberry's home run in Game 4 of the 1999 ALCS that silenced the crowd.

Second was seeing Brain Downing of the Angels hits a home run over the Monster towards center field against a steady wind and rain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think was Fenway Park's most memorable moment?:
    Darryl Strawberry's home run in Game 4 of the 1999 ALCS that silenced the crowd. Second was seeing Brain Downing of the Angels hits a home run over the Monster towards center field against a steady wind and rain.
    Posted by vsports

Was that before or after he took a hit off the 'crack pipe', what a waste of talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

2004: Roberts’s steal

On the verge of getting swept out of the ALCS and trailing the Yankees, 4-3, in the ninth inning of Game 4, Kevin Millar drew a leadoff walk against Mariano Rivera. Enter Dave Roberts to do what he did best. His headfirst slide barely beat the throw to second, and Bill Mueller followed with the tying single. The Red Sox wound up winning it on David Ortiz's two-run walkoff blast in the 12th inning.

Greatest single moment in Fenway Park's history, as it started the greatest post season comeback in MLB history, against MLB's greatest rival, against the greatest franchise in MLB history, to end one of the greatest championship droughts in MLB history. This single moment produced the greatest sports season in Red Sox history.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Since it happened and is ALWAYS in the top 3 in all of baseball history, the Fisk home run is the best moment. The worst without a doubt was Tony C's beaning. I was there an can still hear the sound it made. Most of you never saw that kid play. He was special and he was one of us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The Fisk home run is one of the most memorable moments in sports, let alone just Fenway. We all, of course, have a ton of 04 related moments we'll have ingrained in our minds forever, and our personal memories, but that one gets me and I wasn't even born yet. It's on par with Orr's game winning goal and dive or the end to the tuck rule game, or "Havlicheck stole the ball!" Everyone remembers them, not just us Boston fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Pretty simple......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

and Dave Roberts has more power than Ellsbury...right? 

In the last 2 years, Ellsbury has averaged 17 homers a year, right?

When all is said and done, Roberts will be one of the great household heroes in Red Sox baseball lore. Ellsbury will soon be leaving and will leave with the face of a loser. Contrary to popular belief, he was not a key part of the 2007 title team, anymore than Youk was a key part of the 2004 title time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

and Dave Roberts has more power than Ellsbury...right?  In the last 2 years, Ellsbury has averaged 17 homers a year, right? When all is said and done, Roberts will be one of the great household heroes in Red Sox baseball lore. Ellsbury will soon be leaving and will leave with the face of a loser. Contrary to popular belief, he was not a key part of the 2007 title team, anymore than Youk was a key part of the 2004 title time.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

You're really going to include a year he played 18 games due to injury in a 2 year average? Talk about skewing statistics

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

Pretty simple......  
    Posted by TBINFL

I have to agree with you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I don't know but that picture of Pedro standing over that fat pale hamster is cracking me up.

Game 6 in 75 is probably the most memorable, maybe Robert's steal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

2004: Varitek takes on A-Rod The Red Sox’ comeback win on July 24 was the spark in their title run, and the fight between Jason Varitek and Alex Rodriguez was symbolic. The Yankee star took exception to a third-inning plunking and mouthed off to Varitek, who shoved his mitt in A-Rod’s face and set off a melee.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Most memorable moment in Fenway history was Tiant's masterpiece v. Palmer. The place was electric and the game clinched the 1975 pennant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I don't know but that picture of Pedro standing over that fat pale hamster is cracking me up. Game 6 in 75 is probably the most memorable, maybe Robert's steal.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards
    Actually I think it's gerbil. As to the topic, it's got to be game 6 in '75. Talk about your monster comebacks.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Posted by 2004Idiots

Thanks for all those photos. Lot of great memories there.

Sections
Shortcuts