What does Adrian Gonzalez want?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What does Adrian Gonzalez want?

Among the many threads about AGon for MVP, AGon to win the triple crown, should AGon play RF in NL parks, etc, I don't think I've read anyone commenting on what he wants. 

And I think he wants to win the WS, pure and simple.  MVP would be nice, but it won't double his salary because he already has a nice contract for several years. 

He has said he wants to play all 162 games and so far hasn't missed a one, which argues again that he is in this to win a ring.  I think he already knows he is the key to this team.

So that gets us to this playing RF in NL parks thing.  Theoretically, he already knows whether he is capable and reportedly he is because he apparently did so in winter ball (but just 1 game at the MLB level, six years ago). 

If he is capable, he just might tell Francona, "send me."  He knows that Ortiz is a big bat right now and could make the difference in a couple games.  He knows that without Ortiz the Sox are down to four good bats--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, and Youkilis--which could lower the run potential for this team.  If he plays in right field (last time out, 2005, he had four chances, three putouts, and one error) acceptably well, then Big Papi's over 1.000 OPS comes into play for more than pinch-hitting. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

Re: What does Adrian Gonzalez want?

HE WANTS TO BE MORE LIKE

DEREK JETER

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Was there really a need for another agone thread? This is getting almost as bad as before he was traded to beantowne.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What does Adrian Gonzalez want?:
    [QUOTE]Among the many threads about AGon for MVP, AGon to win the triple crown, should AGon play RF in NL parks, etc, I don't think I've read anyone commenting on what he wants.  And I think he wants to win the WS, pure and simple.  MVP would be nice, but it won't double his salary because he already has a nice contract for several years.  He has said he wants to play all 162 games and so far hasn't missed a one, which argues again that he is in this to win a ring.  I think he already knows he is the key to this team. So that gets us to this playing RF in NL parks thing.  Theoretically, he already knows whether he is capable and reportedly he is because he apparently did so in winter ball (but just 1 game at the MLB level, six years ago).  If he is capable, he just might tell Francona, "send me."  He knows that Ortiz is a big bat right now and could make the difference in a couple games.  He knows that without Ortiz the Sox are down to four good bats--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, and Youkilis--which could lower the run potential for this team.  If he plays in right field (last time out, 2005, he had four chances, three putouts, and one error) acceptably well, then Big Papi's over 1.000 OPS comes into play for more than pinch-hitting. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

If I'm Sox management, why even consider playing AGon in the OF.  I'ts just not worth the risk after a 174mil investment.  We can get along without Papi for a few games if the team keeks playing well.  If AGon goes down that will be as bad as losing Dustin and Kevin last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Among the many threads about AGon for MVP, AGon to win the triple crown, should AGon play RF in NL parks, etc, I don't think I've read anyone commenting on what he wants.  And I think he wants to win the WS, pure and simple.  MVP would be nice, but it won't double his salary because he already has a nice contract for several years.  He has said he wants to play all 162 games and so far hasn't missed a one, which argues again that he is in this to win a ring.  I think he already knows he is the key to this team. So that gets us to this playing RF in NL parks thing.  Theoretically, he already knows whether he is capable and reportedly he is because he apparently did so in winter ball (but just 1 game at the MLB level, six years ago).  If he is capable, he just might tell Francona, "send me."  He knows that Ortiz is a big bat right now and could make the difference in a couple games.  He knows that without Ortiz the Sox are down to four good bats--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, and Youkilis--which could lower the run potential for this team.  If he plays in right field (last time out, 2005, he had four chances, three putouts, and one error) acceptably well, then Big Papi's over 1.000 OPS comes into play for more than pinch-hitting. 

Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE

Incredible, you mean there is a major league ball player that wants to win the WS? Shocking I tell you, shocking.

And pedroia really hasn't been much of a "good" bat this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A Duck boat parade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What does Adrian Gonzalez want?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What does Adrian Gonzalez want? : If I'm Sox management, why even consider playing AGon in the OF.  I'ts just not worth the risk after a 174mil investment.  We can get along without Papi for a few games if the team keeks playing well.  If AGon goes down that will be as bad as losing Dustin and Kevin last season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Thats my stance as well.  Papi has sat out interleaguers before.  No big deal.  I'd say the club still has a pretty decent shot at winning the games anyway, no?  And beyond the injury risk (admittedly not a big one, but, I don't know call me conservative), there is the fact that with his wheels and lack of experience, I am not sure that the positives of keeping both bats in the line-up outweigh the negatives of having a lumbering, 1-game-of-winter-league-experienced right fielder (all respect due to the Man).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Really, a major leaguer who wants to win the WS? Shocking I tell you, shocking.

And pedroia hasn't really been a 'good' bat for much of the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What does Adrian Gonzalez want? : Really, a major leaguer who wants to win the WS? Shocking I tell you, shocking. And pedroia hasn't really been a 'good' bat for much of the season.
    Posted by --The-Babe----[/QUOTE]

chances are he will be!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Note to "Babe"--

Actually, if you play steadily for teams like the Padres, you get used to the idea of not even getting to the playoffs, let alone winning the WS.  Ditto the Nationals, Orioles, Mets, and a bunch of other MLB teams. 

When you go to the Sox, you figure you're playing for a contender, and for someone like AGon that has to be a big deal, especially when he sees it happen. 

Going to the Yankees, as Swisher, Teixeira, Granderson, Burnett, Sabathia, Martin, and some others did, leads to similar expectations. 

Pedroia's OPS for this season is 4th among AL secondbasemen, and over 1.000 for the month of June.  He's even won an MVP award (and ROY), so I think it's reasonable to classify him as a good hitter. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gonzalez in the outfield?  Seriously? 

You think he can cover any ground out there?!!

He might be the slowest player in Red Sox history.  Gonzalez is even slower than Bobby Doerr!!!  

For those of you unfamiliar with Doerr's footspeed, all you need to know is the man is 93 years old...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Note to "Babe"-- Actually, if you play steadily for teams like the Padres, you get used to the idea of not even getting to the playoffs, let alone winning the WS.  Ditto the Nationals, Orioles, Mets, and a bunch of other MLB teams.  When you go to the Sox, you figure you're playing for a contender, and for someone like AGon that has to be a big deal, especially when he sees it happen.  Going to the Yankees, as Swisher, Teixeira, Granderson, Burnett, Sabathia, Martin, and some others did, leads to similar expectations.  Pedroia's OPS for this season is 4th among AL secondbasemen, and over 1.000 for the month of June.  He's even won an MVP award (and ROY), so I think it's reasonable to classify him as a good hitter. 

I seriously doubt that.

I would not be surprised at all if the overwhelming majority of Major Leaguers felt that they alone could bolster any team into the playoffs, and are completley willing to ignre any past failures as pproof to the contrary.

Fans are perfectly willing to live on last year's history, and are willing to deceide who is or isn't a playoff contender based on anything real or unreal, and sometimes as little as desire to see a team succeed so as to hope their stars become available.

But players?  No way.  You don't get to be a Major Leaguer unless you have a special brand of competitiveness that is capable of ignoring failure.  Professional athletes in any sport simply do not expect to lose and in many cases have trouble accepting it. 

With the exception of boxers....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I agree with one of the poster saying it is too risky to put 175 millions dollars contract player in the RF.  My best solution is to have Papi to pinch hit as many games as he can, and also maybe rest A-Gonz for few games if Boston continue to stay on a hot roll, and start Papi at 1B. Boston have been there before such as last year and two years ago.  

Really we need A-Gonz more than Papi.  If Papi play at 1B and A-Gonz play at RF, who know both could pull hamstring at the same time, and then we will end up seeing both on DL!!  That is alot to lose!!  Forget it.  

Had Yankees fall behind Boston by three to four games, I think Tito would alternate Papi and A-Gonz at 1B.  But the Yankees are doing well, and guess Tito have to go by one game to another game.  So dont put A-Gonz in RF or LF. If Drew is struggling, then use Reddick or Cameron!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]Note to "Babe"-- Actually, if you play steadily for teams like the Padres, you get used to the idea of not even getting to the playoffs, let alone winning the WS.  Ditto the Nationals, Orioles, Mets, and a bunch of other MLB teams.  When you go to the Sox, you figure you're playing for a contender, and for someone like AGon that has to be a big deal, especially when he sees it happen.  Going to the Yankees, as Swisher, Teixeira, Granderson, Burnett, Sabathia, Martin, and some others did, leads to similar expectations.  Pedroia's OPS for this season is 4th among AL secondbasemen, and over 1.000 for the month of June.  He's even won an MVP award (and ROY), so I think it's reasonable to classify him as a good hitter. 

So you are saying the guys on the padres don't want to win the WS?

And what pedroia did back in '08 has nothing to do with what he is doing now.

Sections
Shortcuts