What does Crawford do for a Living?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

What does Crawford do for a Living?

Man....the more I see him at bat the more I think he made the biggest heist of the year. He's impatient at the plate, doesn't have a level swing, doesn't go with the pitch, just plain terrible at the plate. Isn't the Boston coaching staff working with this dude? I know he's trying to get comfortable but darn it's d$#n near July!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: What does Crawford do for a Living?

compare with jeter and tell me who got the best deal, sox or yankees.  not even close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I could never figure out why Crawford changed his stance so drastically a few years back but it seemed to work at the time.  He has played in the AL East for years and hit well so I still think he is just stressing too much.  I'm certanly not ready to compare him with stiffs like Lugo. Crisp or Renteria.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

when i listen to him speak - i get the feeling he's the not sharpest knife in the drawer-dont hold your breath waiting for him to transform in AGon in terms of prepping for his at bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to What does Crawford do for a Living?:
    [QUOTE]Man....the more I see him at bat the more I think he made the biggest heist of the year. He's impatient at the plate, doesn't have a level swing, doesn't go with the pitch, just plain terrible at the plate. Isn't the Boston coaching staff working with this dude? I know he's trying to get comfortable but darn it's d$#n near July!
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

Your post history says it all about you. Onto Ignore you go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Man....the more I see him at bat the more I think he made the biggest heist of the year. He's impatient at the plate, doesn't have a level swing, doesn't go with the pitch, just plain terrible at the plate. Isn't the Boston coaching staff working with this dude? I know he's trying to get comfortable but darn it's d$#n near July!

What did you think about him all those years in Tampa?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hate to play the race card here, but why is it so many fans are hardest on players with darker skin when they don't perform up to expectations?

They paid J.D. Drew and Beckett lots of money too and these guys have had their rough stretches. Pedroia and Youkilis are certainly batting below their normal averages.

I mean, sure the guy got off to a tough start, but he seems to be doing well since May 1. He's had a couple of walkoff hits and his defense is just fine. So he's not Adrian Gonzalez type hot...how many players are?

Time to lay off Carl, getting him was a no brainer...AND YOU ALL KNEW HE WASN'T GONNA BE CHEAP! These people who b*tch about Crawford, you know they would be b*tchin' if the Yankees had got him,you just know it. These are people who are never satisfied. The team is in first place for chrisakes!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The author of the OP is more likely to be a troll than a racist. Read his post history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living?:
    [QUOTE]when i listen to him speak - i get the feeling he's the not sharpest knife in the drawer-dont hold your breath waiting for him to transform in AGon in terms of prepping for his at bats.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

G- I don't get that.  when I listen to him, I think he is actually a clever guy with a gracious manner.  I think you are just having trouble getting through that thick-as-molasses Houston-ese drawl.

But, he is not that hitter, no.  but then again, he never was.  Always a little free-swinging for my taste.  Never-the-less, he always had the knack for coming through against the Sox.  He has already shown that he gets it done under pressure.  I expect that to continue and increase as the summer heats up and he gets more comfortable in his new environs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

We're stuck with Crawbust. He has high mileage from playing MLB a lot of years. He will, over the next few years, return to at or within 10 points of his career averages. That's not worth 20M, but it's here to stay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]compare with jeter and tell me who got the best deal, sox or yankees.  not even close.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Dumb post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Crawford will be just fine. Coming to the Sox is a big adjustment and he is probably feeling the pressure of that big contract. Cut him some slack and let's see his numbers at the end of the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

I'm sure he will eventually be fine. What concerns me right now is that he seems to swing and miss at an awful lot of fastballs in the strike zone. That's unusual for a major league hitter. He also swings at the pitch at his ankles, which drives me nuts. He scared me when he was with Tampa but he's not the same hitter right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

He's just lost at the plate.  Looked briefly like he would come out of it, but that lasted about ten days.

He's always been this way at the plate, though.  Looks for a first pitch to hit and swings away.  Cannot count the number of popups he's had already this season.

He'll come around.  There's going to be a ton of moments this season where we're going to be thankful he's wearing a Sox uni.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

What Crawford has going for him...
    -He hasn't had to adjust to a different league or division
    -Unlike AGon, he's basically facing the same pitchers in the same parks his whole career 
    -He has a better line-up around him, so he's seeing more pitches
    -He has an amazing LH batter to learn from and/or emulate as DO has done w/AGon
    -In spite of his huge salary, he doesn't really have any pressure to be 'the man' at the plate with a bunch of All-Stars around him and even a bigger contract in the line-up
    -Nor does he have to be 'the man' on the base paths with Ells starting so great

Yet...
    -His BA is down almost 60 points
    -He's not really aggressive on the base paths (granted he's rarely on)
    -He's striking out a lot or pulling everything on the ground to either 1st or 2nd base
    -His swing makes Johnny Damon look like Ted Williams lately
    -He even looked like a late season rookie call-up at his home park in Tampa recently

And it's almost late June, so you really think he will be just fine? I just pray he's injured. Otherwise, this signing could be worse than Lugo & Drew combined!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]What Crawford has going for him... -He hasn't had to adjust to a different league or division -Unlike AGon, he's basically facing the same pitchers in the same parks his whole career  -He has a better line-up around him, so he's seeing more pitches -He has an amazing LH batter to learn from and/or emulate as DO has done w/AGon -In spite of his huge salary, he doesn't really have any pressure to be 'the man' at the plate with a bunch of All-Stars around him and even a bigger contract in the line-up -Nor does he have to be 'the man' on the base paths with Ells starting so great   Yet... -His BA is down almost 60 points -He's not really aggressive on the base paths (granted he's rarely on) -He's striking out a lot or pulling everything on the ground to either 1st or 2nd base -His swing makes Johnny Damon look like Ted Williams lately -He even looked like a late season rookie call-up at his home park in Tampa recently And it's almost late June, so you really think he will be just fine? I just pray he's injured. Otherwise, this signing could be worse than Lugo & Drew combined!
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

To me, thats the beauty of the situation.  Crawford has woefully underperformed.  But the offense has just turned beastly anyway.  So, beyond people talking of bad contracts and such, no one really cares about Carl.  But, what happens when he does show up to the 2011 season/  Oh my god, Carl Crawford, remember him?  It will just be the icing on the juggernaut cake.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

crawford needs to settle down and concentrate on lining balls up the middle.

i (and most everyone else) will gladly take 2 up-the-middle singles a game from this guy and be very happy getting them from a bottom of the line up guy.  he could go homerless for the rest of the year if he gets those 2 singles a game.

he is trying to pull everything and needs to get back to the basics that a nine year older is taught-hit the middle of the ball and hit it up the middle.  perhaps close his stance a bit, too so that he can get his front foot down sooner without so long of a stride.

who cares how much money he is making because, as mentioned already by betterredthandead, he is here to stay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

space I am aware of the dbl standard when it applies to race/sports and I like CC as a Sox player...I just dont think he is going to live down that contract...Im not sure what youre saying about JD - he has been roasted since day 1..its really more of a money/economic thing these days, and not so much racial...

LeBron is hated because he's arrogant, black, but mostly because he's a pampered RICH man-child....imho - his The Decison was pure egomaniacal bs....he will NEVER live that down....and not because he's black because...

Rep. Weiner is in the same boat - self serving, delusional, power driven, idiot....he is toast as well imho

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It isn't the race card, the color isn't his skin, it is green. The dude has the third largest contract in the history of the franchise. That puts him in a class with Ramirez and Gonzalez. And he just isn't there. Not his fault. Never was going to be but his below career averages start to his RS career has had folks taking a harder look and coming down hard.

But holy smokes, we are on BDC and you aren't going to tell me that JD Drew doesn't get thrashed? Fields better than Nixon, better hitter than Nixon was at the same age straight through this contract. He gets railed on because he signed a $70M deal and he glides to the balls that Nixon had to dive for, and walks quietly back to dugout after a K rather than looking like he wants to kill you.

Not saying it is right but it is what it is. Big bucks, big expectations, lot's of heat when you fail to meet the expectations.

The intelligence crack is out of line, though it is fair to say that he makes ponderous decisions in the field once in awhile, then again his speed gets to all kinds of stuff that Jason Bay would pull a hammy dreaming about the plays. But I hope nobody confuses syntax with intelligence. If you do, Larry Bird is a moron and we all know on a basketball court the guy was Einstein.

Aside from that, while the OP has a hostile tone, Carl Crawford's swing is troubling. No I never bothered to notice it that much when he was killing us as a Ray but watching him every day in 2011, his swing is made for trouble.

Extreme open stance, with his RF way back in a bucket, it is noisy as all get out. It requires him to commit much earlier than a conventional stance which IMO is why he ends up looking bad on splits, cutters, curves and anything that breaks hard. LH eat him up because of this because it is harder for LH to pick-up the pitch as quickly from a LH. Too many moving parts, it would make Teddy Ballgame throw up. It is a testimony to his athletic ability he has been as successful as he is with that approach.

Changing it? Not an easy task. At what point do you buy a dog and tell it not to bark?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Ahhh, the wisdom of a fan.

In a day when the same people that have brought us a team that has enough talent to be a force every season, not to mention a couple of WS crowns we still find the free EXPERT that jumps to remarkable conclusions about a player's talents as if they are somehow fraudulently imposed upon us.

Please note two things in the above paragraph:

1)  There are REAL, talented, qualified, proven people who have built on, built up and delivered in their capacities year after year for almost as long as it takes to fly to Mars and back.  They MIGHT know more than we think we do.  Just maybe.  THEY saw fit to reward Carl with this contract that so many think is some kind of albatross.  THEY saw fit to ... and LAA woulda been within $2 million a year to get him.  Stupid Angels.  Whew, we saved THEM from failure, huh?

2)  There are REAL, talented PLAYERS who have delivered year after year, either elsewhere (e.i., San Diego or Tampa Bay) and are now here playing a SUPERB brand of baseball.  Carl IS in that mix and he will continue to find his way.  Might I suggest that  part of his problem is he still knows that no matter how well he does, as soon as he mis-steps, he knows some know-it-all will start taking him to task.

And I wonder ...

where these  guys earned THEIR pedigree?

How many PRO teams have they owned (REAL, not fantasy)...

How many scouts with credentialed knowledge they listen too...

How many PRO -no - MLB seasons have they played ...

And you know so much better about Carl than the FO ....

yeah,

sure ....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

He is who softlaw said he was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What does Crawford do for a Living? : Your post history says it all about you. Onto Ignore you go.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]
    Who are you to ignore someone ...I was hoping for more of an intelligent response but seeing that school is out for the summer kids have a lot of time on their hands. Does your mom know your on her computer?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I hate to play the race card here, but why is it so many fans are hardest on players with darker skin when they don't perform up to expectations?

Nonsense. Tim Wakefield (white), John Lackey (white), and J.D Drew (white) are pilloried on this board, despite two of those three (Wakefield and Drew) not being nearly as horrendous as advertised, relative to their salaries and statistical league averages. People are plenty hard on the white guys, far more than what I've seen written of Crawford. Even some of the really good white players like Ellsbury (okay, half white) and Papelbon get lambasted. I don't think race has anything to do with it.

I can't argue that Crawford is overpaid. I think he'll ultimately be a reasonably productive outfielder for this team who delivers some big plays both with the bat and in the field. He's already hit a few game-winners this season. I'm more worried about how Crawford's salary will impact negotiations with Jacoby Ellsbury, a Scott Boras client. Crawford and Ellsbury are very similar players. I don't see why Ellsbury will accept significantly less than $20 million per year, if Crawford is worth $23 million. That being said, if the Red Sox win another 1-3 World Series championships by the end of 2013, then losing Ellsbury to free agency won't be too painful. The team is built to win in 2011, 2012 and 2013, especially 2011, given the uncertainty of Papelbon's future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

SinceYaz, I get your drift but sometimes the pros get it wrong.

One of your examples is that reportedly the Angels would have gone within $2M a year of what Boston did for Carl. Well that is all fine but the Angels aren't exactly winning awards these days for their recent judgements. We are after all talking about a team that turned around when they lost out on carl and Beltre and traded for baseball's worst contract, Vernon Wells. And how did that work out? So far .193/.235/.327. Not the FO to point to and say but they liked a player too IMO.

Yeah we are just observers of the game, which is why posting for so long the RS would not get in on Crawford, when they did I didn't join the small minority that thought it was an awful deal. I tend to believe just what you said that Epstein knows more than we'll ever forget.

Now on the flip side, i have been in senior management for many years. I have been professionally trained on how to recruit, screen and select people. And every once in awhile I will make a hire that my most junior associates know long before I did was a big mistake.

Now I am not saying that Crawford will be an albatross. But the odds are long on the contract delivering the kind of value that Gonzalez will or for that matter Ramirez did. His valuation was based on a career year far above his historical norms and his spray chart converts poorly to the home park he plays half his games in. They paid a huge premium to get a Brett Gardner/Jacoby Ellsbury profile with the ability to 10 more HRS a year IMO.

Epstein does a great job but every GM misses once in awhile, let's hope it is simply over paid and not the kind of titanic miss that sometimes happens like Jason Bay or Barry Zito.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to play the race card here, but why is it so many fans are hardest on players with darker skin when they don't perform up to expectations? They paid J.D. Drew and Beckett lots of money too and these guys have had their rough stretches. Pedroia and Youkilis are certainly batting below their normal averages. I mean, sure the guy got off to a tough start, but he seems to be doing well since May 1. He's had a couple of walkoff hits and his defense is just fine. So he's not Adrian Gonzalez type hot...how many players are? Time to lay off Carl, getting him was a no brainer...AND YOU ALL KNEW HE WASN'T GONNA BE CHEAP! These people who b*tch about Crawford, you know they would be b*tchin' if the Yankees had got him,you just know it. These are people who are never satisfied. The team is in first place for chrisakes!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla,

Come on!  Please!  Let's not start this race B.S. again!  ALL THE WHITE FANS I KNOW have been & will continue to be BRUTAL with respect to..................

1)  Lackey
    2)  J.D. Drew
    3)  Salty  (but, gottal give the kid MAJOR props!  He's looking pretty good?)
    4)  Pedroia (His first 2 months)
    5)  Beckett (When he hit the skids)
    6)  Jenks
    7)  Wake (when he gets lit up)
    8)  Even Paps!  (If he's not delivering)
    9)  Bard (When he gets lit up)
    **  That's just the current WHITE players off the top of my head!
    **  Guaranteed I could come up with several more

when they're in the tank.............

Think of FORMER WHITE players RIPPED by the fans

*  Even Nomar
    *  Millar first 1/2 of 04  (Ready to run him out on a rail!!!!)

*  This list could go on & on.

*  Let's not pull a Betterdead & start the racial Demagoguery with Boston fans!

*  That's a LONG DEAD "bugaboo" in this town (not to quote betterdead)

If you've lived here for ANY TIME at all, you should know that the RACE CARD Bu!!$h!t does not fly AT ALL here in Boston!

WE true Boston fans, who grew up SIDE BY SIDE with, blacks, Poles, jews, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Greeks, Japanese, Irish, Mexicans, etc. etc. etc. (didn't mean to leave anyone out) as OUR FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS simply don't want to listen to some liberal who lives in a gated community (not that you are) tell us WE NEED TO BE MORE racially sensitive!

This is not directed at you!  BUT to this whole race card BS..............

The standard response that I hear when this (r@p comes up is ...................
    F*ck Yuuu!  Blow it out yuure arsss!

Sections
Shortcuts