What does Crawford do for a Living?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: What does Crawford do for a Living?

•    5katz,

I respect your point of view.  It's well presented also - so that helps.  

I also realize that Theo and his gang have made and will make mistakes.  I don't require perfection.  But I am almost bright enough to be able to tell that
       they have done a more than respectable job.  "Golden Age" sounds about right to me.   

And...

I don't mean that Carl isn't going to have his moments - the negative ones as well as the positive.

I won't quantify his contract as equal to Adrian's.  Adrian is a rare bird and we actually have him on a good deal.

That's not fair to Carl.  Why?  He did not set the bar.  He received the offer.  Was he foolish to accept that kind of thing?    For all the effort he has put into developing his talent, he was rewarded.  Now folks are gonna hold it against him.  Why?

I'm reminded of Carl Pavano's contract with the NYucks .... they gave him the contract due to his prior performance.  Sadly, he spent most of those 4 years injured.  And there are countless NYY fans that hold that against him.  Why?  (I know, they were gipped!!!) But that Carl had earned his spot by prior effort.  He was no bum.  Neither is this one.  And his employers were more than willing to make him a Red Sox.   Better than playing against him in Tampa or NY ...

Strategically, Carl being a Red Sox is far better than him playing against us.  It's a two-fer.

But we should not hold the contract against him.  That is infantile and unfair.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

As far as Crawford goes......

I agree with you!  The kid is doing just fine since his early horror show!

Most people I know really like the guy.  MOST people on this board constantly defend the guy! 

Leave the RACE (R@P out of it!

WE LOVE

Papi
    Scutaro
    A-Gon
    Ells.
    Oki (o.k. used to)
    Dice-K (used to)
    Manny
    Crawford
    V-Mart
    Beltre

*  This list could go ON & ON.................
    Let's cut the $h!t with this race (rap! 

With Boston fans......  It's ALL ABOUT PRODUCTION!

Some guys build up a LOT of sweat equity............   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Just to point out that many fans are blind to ethic backgrounds, redsoxdirtdog is not in the minority in thinking of Nomar Garciaparra as white. He is a Mexican American from Whittier, California. Heck right now Big Papi and Adrian Gonzalez probably don't have to pay for a drink anywhere in New England.

SinceYaz, I hear you and agree whole heartedly it isn't his fault that the market for players is inflated or that the RS were so aggressive in their offer. Then again it wasn't Drew's fault that he was awarded a $70M deal but even though the stats heads suggest the contract has been near value, the expectations of what that contract represented to fans has not been.

The race card is crazy, it isn't 1974 in Southie any more. While race still is an issue in our society, sports pioneered some changes and sports today are one of the most color blind endeavors in most folks lives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Armed robbery with a bat not gun.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living?:
    [QUOTE]I hate to play the race card here, but why is it so many fans are hardest on players with darker skin when they don't perform up to expectations? They paid J.D. Drew and Beckett lots of money too and these guys have had their rough stretches. Pedroia and Youkilis are certainly batting below their normal averages. I mean, sure the guy got off to a tough start, but he seems to be doing well since May 1. He's had a couple of walkoff hits and his defense is just fine. So he's not Adrian Gonzalez type hot...how many players are? Time to lay off Carl, getting him was a no brainer...AND YOU ALL KNEW HE WASN'T GONNA BE CHEAP! These people who b*tch about Crawford, you know they would be b*tchin' if the Yankees had got him,you just know it. These are people who are never satisfied. The team is in first place for chrisakes!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    DEREK JETER

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living? : DEREK JETER
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING[/QUOTE]hey math whiz.....cut the crap already..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living? : hey math whiz.....cut the crap already..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Jete, I'd buy you a beer anytime. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

When Crawford was signed, some of us had reservations if not not misgivings. As Katz says above, Crawford's skills seem duplicative of Ellsbury's. Even the more pop that Crawford brought on paper is now evening out. It's possible, of course, that Boston had it in mind to move Ellsbury in the next couple of years. Mainly, the Sox seemed to need a RHer with power more than a player with Crawford's profile. But what choices did they have? Werth is not worth what he got from the Nationals. The terms of Crawford's contract seemed inflated even in this age of bloated contracts. He got slugger's money. 
    So far, Crawford has not hit and his fielding has been nothing special. He is not a good OBP man. ( Did Theo overlook that, surprisingly? ) To begin ( just begin ) to justify his contract, he would have to end up hitting at least 40 points higher than at the moment.  More hits have to go into the gaps, so that he has a chance to fly. 
    No telling, of course, what the future will bring. He doesn't project to match value on the field with dollar value over the course of his long contract. But we better hold off. Seers, in baseball as elsewhere, have had plenty of egg on their faces.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]it isn't 1974 in Southie any more You need to substitute "Boston" and "New England" for "Southie", you bigoted self interested hypocrite. 
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Let me preserve this too.

Since, it too, will soon be deleted. 

-Daf. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living? : Let me preserve this too. Since, it too, will soon be deleted.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

The soft one is on a roll it seems..must be off the meds..Thank for perserving the posts..I get a good laugh when I read his "drivel"...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Crawford do for a Living? : Jete, I'd buy you a beer anytime. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

Can I email a 6 pack from Milwaukee !!

Hetchinspete

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Carl is in his 60th or so game with the sox, before his contract is over he will play in about 1,000 games. So how can you judge him now one way or the other.  As far as race, no  one has taken as much bull from sox fans than JD Drew and the last time i looked up he was white. Carl will be fine needs a little time, take a look at Curtis Granderson, he was horrible last year in NY, but playing for Detriot is not like playing in NY, and either is playing in Tampa like playing in Boston.