What does Ellsbury have to do to get a call?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

What does Ellsbury have to do to get a call?

Ellsbury has a pretty good idea of the strike zone now but doesn't seem to get any calls. He has to swing at anything near the plate with 2 strikes because he will not get the call otherwize.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: What does Ellsbury have to do to get a call?

In this regard Boom MLB can be like the NBA in that reputation influences calls. If Ellsbury puts up a real solid season I think he will get more of the borderline strikes called balls. But I agree that he has to be very protective of the plate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The book Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won has a good discussion of the strikezone issue:

http://scorecasting.com/

By the way, last year Felix Hernandez won the Cy Young Award despite being given a hitter-friendly strikezone, according to this analysis:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/2/2/1969633/benefit-of-the-doubt-a-tale-of-two-hernandezes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Great stuff Hill! Every time I see Bobby Abreau get up to plate I cringe because he always seems to get the call. Does he really know the strike zone that well or is something else going on? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury never complains about the call whereas someone like Abreau and seemingly every Yankee in the lineup seems to, from Girardi on down. Yeah, I know Abreau is no longer with the Yanks. The guys who complain seem to get more calls IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: What does Ellsbury have to do to get a call?:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury never complains about the call whereas someone like Abreau and seemingly every Yankee in the lineup seems to, from Girardi on down. Yeah, I know Abreau is no longer with the Yanks. The guys who complain seem to get more calls IMO.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    Unless you're Milton Bradley.Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Whining like a baby, because he's not having "the big year" that you claimed he was going to have.

When a player has been in MLB since 2007, career averages are there for a reason. Bellsbury will never be:

1. On-Base Machine
    2. Good Defensive CF'er
    3. ".300 hitter" as in career
    4. "More power than anyone in batting practice"

He is exactly what his career averages say he is, and the weak CF'er I said he was in spring of 2008. He belongs in the NL. He has speed, is a high .280's to low .290's career hitter (his career BA will decline when his speed declines) because pitchers aren't inclined to walk his speed and they give him plenty of good pitches to hit with his short arm reverse pivot swing because they don't want to walk him. Crawford needs to get his act together because the Red Sox need a young solid RH OF'er for the long term future. Bellsbury's game is a grain of sand compared to his popularity and hype.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury is so bad he's statistically an average defensive CF, plus he's 1st in steals and in the top 5 in doubles, runs scored etc...with an OBP of .360. 24 RBI from the leadoff spot isn't bad and a projected 18 HR aren't either BTW, for a CF. Checked out his OPS lately? It's .805. Hardly a slap hitter is he. He's currently exactly on target with my prediction for this year.

How are your predictions working out for you softy? Want to pick up Bill Hall again? How is Tampa Bay doing. We should have just cut Wakefield huh. I could go on and on...and that is just this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's currently on pace for a 6.0 WAR. He's just awful isn't he!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Bellsbury is not a career .360 OBP.

His current OBP is .355  His Career OBP is .346

His current BA is .291  His Career BA is .291

His current SLG is .445 His Career SLG is .411

The first 4 early homers showed he can't ever hit for OBP and pop. He's had 2 HR since he was ordered to change his approach, in the first few weeks of the season. His career HR average is single digits.

His career UZR well below average.

The only thing different about this prima donna client of Scott Boras is that his slugging is up slightly and his homers are ahead of his normal single digit season pace because he was swinging for the fences early in the season which lead to his demotion for Mendoza BA and OBP.

But the other difference, while we are pointing them out, Rang, is he's been weak against LHP.

Bellsbury v. LHP in 2011:

BA .233 OBP  .299  .350 SLG 0 Homers 5 SB CS 1

Bottom line, overall, because of v. LHP in 2011, he's worse than he was in 2009, his career season.

Theo may love this guy like the fans do, but if he's smart, he'll sell those last 2 years of arbitration and ship this prima donna out of town for a solid young RH Of'er or other team future need, before the 2012 season, which is when I said I'd be surprised if he wasn't gone by then.

He's overrated, Rang, and always has been! Overall, offense and defense, best case, he's no more than an above average MLB player whose skillset belongs in the NL. He does not belong as the career CF for the Red Sox, nor does he fit with Crawbust for the team future. Kemp and Upton are the kinds of superior OF profiles that the Red Sox need to be looking for. They won't be as popular in Boston, we both know why that is, and one poster called Kemp "a 10 cent mind at times". 

The Red Sox aren't run to put the best 40 man unit on the roster, unfortunately, they are run with an eye to appeasing the pride and prejudices of a fan base that includes narrow hypocritical minds like yours, Ran. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When a player has been in MLB since 2007, career averages are there for a reason.

So, just throw out all of the compelling data that shows that nearly every MLb player improves over his early career and has his best years between ages 28-32. You seem to know better than everyone else.

Are you discounting one of the biggest trends in MLB, or are you saying there is something about Ellsbury does not fit the normal bell curve (actually an S-Curve)?  Or, could if be you just hate the kid and are hoping he doesn't prove you wrong, again.

Don't answer: we know what your respoinse will be.`

Bellsbury will never be:

1. On-Base Machine
    2. Good Defensive CF'er
    3. ".300 hitter" as in career
    4. "More power than anyone in batting practice"

He is exactly what his career averages say he is, and the weak CF'er I said he was in spring of 2008. He belongs in the NL. He has speed, is a high .280's to low .290's career hitter (his career BA will decline when his speed declines) because pitchers aren't inclined to walk his speed and they give him plenty of good pitches to hit with his short arm reverse pivot swing because they don't want to walk him. Crawford needs to get his act together because the Red Sox need a young solid RH OF'er for the long term future. Bellsbury's game is a grain of sand compared to his popularity and hype.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: What does Ellsbury have to do to get a call?:
    [QUOTE]Bellsbury is not a career .360 OBP. His current OBP is .355  His Career OBP is .346 His current BA is .291  His Career BA is .291 His current SLG is .445 His Career SLG is .411 The first 4 early homers showed he can't ever hit for OBP and pop. He's had 2 HR since he was ordered to change his approach, in the first few weeks of the season. His career HR average is single digits. His career UZR well below average. The only thing different about this prima donna client of Scott Boras is that his slugging is up slightly and his homers are ahead of his normal single digit season pace because he was swinging for the fences early in the season which lead to his demotion for Mendoza BA and OBP. But the other difference, while we are pointing them out, Rang, is he's been weak against LHP. Bellsbury v. LHP in 2011: BA .233 OBP  .299  .350 SLG 0 Homers 5 SB CS 1 Bottom line, overall, because of v. LHP in 2011, he's worse than he was in 2009, his career season. Theo may love this guy like the fans do, but if he's smart, he'll sell those last 2 years of arbitration and ship this prima donna out of town for a solid young RH Of'er or other team future need, before the 2012 season, which is when I said I'd be surprised if he wasn't gone by then. He's overrated, Rang, and always has been! Overall, offense and defense, best case, he's no more than an above average MLB player whose skillset belongs in the NL. He does not belong as the career CF for the Red Sox, nor does he fit with Crawbust for the team future. Kemp and Upton are the kinds of superior OF profiles that the Red Sox need to be looking for. They won't be as popular in Boston, we both know why that is, and one poster called Kemp "a 10 cent mind at times".  The Red Sox aren't run to put the best 40 man unit on the roster, unfortunately, they are run with an eye to appeasing the pride and prejudices of a fan base that includes narrow hypocritical minds like yours, Ran. 
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

Again, the FACTS show that he is having a career year as projected by me last winter. You, OTOH, have projected him to be a slap hitting loser forever. I win. You lose. Again. Get used to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How is he over-rated?
    Who is rating him?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

He delivered a tie it up double that eventually led to a win.  That's just not good enough I guess.  Any other above average player would've homered for the win.