What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?

Maybe because Reddick has only had ONE hit with anyone on and two RBI in the last two weeks?
    He gets singles, or an occasional double. He doesn't produce runs. His numbers since the All-Star break are pitiful. 13 RBI, 32 stikeouts to 11 walks. .190 with RISP and 2 outs, .263 with anyone on base.
    Sure he got his average back up, and the media is getting moist when he did, but mostly singles with nobody on base. Hollow numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In defense of Lester - if 15-7, 3.07 ERA, 66 BB in 176 innings (3 per game), 149 hits in 176 innings is struggling - give me 4 more like him and sit down while I run away with the division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe because Reddick has only had ONE hit with anyone on and two RBI in the last two weeks? He gets singles, or an occasional double. He doesn't produce runs. His numbers since the All-Star break are pitiful. 13 RBI, 32 stikeouts to 11 walks. .190 with RISP and 2 outs, .263 with anyone on base. Sure he got his average back up, and the media is getting moist when he did, but mostly singles with nobody on base. Hollow numbers.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

This is my point about Reddick and his importance to Sox. I don't think he is a clutch hitter by any stretch of the imagination, nor is he a run-producer guy. He is Kevin Romine and Reid Nichols, that's what he is and that's not saying a lot on a team that seems to be completely relying on 3 or 4 guys to do all the offensive work--Pedroia, AGON, Ortiz and Youkilis. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : This is my point about Reddick and his importance to Sox. I don't think he is a clutch hitter by any stretch of the imagination, nor is he a run-producer guy. He is Kevin Romine and Reid Nichols, that's what he is and that's not saying a lot on a team that seems to be completely relying on 3 or 4 guys to do all the offensive work--Pedroia, AGON, Ortiz and Youkilis. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Thats 4, and then there is this Ellsbury guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tbrod, excellent post about the way it seems the media and even this forum go ga-ga over Reddick when he gets that occasional double or single...with no one on base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You know Bill Hall fell off the face of the earth, but last season I give the guy credit in that he often would hit a big home run in a key moment. It's something the Sox just don't get from a lot of their non-key players. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : Thats 4, and then there is this Ellsbury guy.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    LOL...i did forget Ellsbury, it should 5 they rely on...too funny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I have a question, how did Francona take out Papelbon on Saturday after we tied the game up in the ninth.  He threw sixteen pitches in two full innings as was taken out to bring in a struggling Bard.   What logic was at use here?   This was a key turnaround game and the momentum was ours while Papelbon was in there.  Losing that game confirmed the slide we were in and put an even darker black cloud over Bard.  Unbelievable stupid managing no matter how you slice. Forget the player fatigue, the season is at risk and you lit a fire under the team just behind you in the standing Tito.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In defense of Lester - if 15-7, 3.07 ERA, 66 BB in 176 innings (3 per game), 149 hits in 176 innings is struggling - give me 4 more like him and sit down while I run away with the division.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

hey Traven...sorry but yesterday was Lester's game to win...I'm not a a reactionary fan like many in this thread...but given the way the teams played of late. Yesterday was a game in which your ace has to step up and stop the bleeding!

4 IP allowing 4 ER runs while giving up 8 hits and walking 3 is not the stuff of aces in September...

Big game pitchers, pitch big in big games...Yesterday Shields did his job, Lester didn't...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : I think thre Red Sox should make every effort to get Madden from TB and let Francona walk. Madden, if not the best, is certainly among the best managers in the game.
    Posted by lifelongsoxdawg[/QUOTE]
    Can you explain why you consider Maddon the best?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : Can you explain why you consider Maddon the best?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

because the grass is always greener when it's not your grassTongue out....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : because the grass is always greener when it's not your grass.....
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I prefer mine to have a little purple in it anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I could be wrong,but I think D-Mac replaced Reddick because Francona was upset with Reddick when he overthrew the cutoff man when Sean Rodriguez was on his way to 3rd which allowed Jennings to get to second base in the 6th inning.
     Crawford had made the same mistake earlier

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : I prefer mine to have a little purple in it anyway.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

That's just nature's way of saying "High" Spaceman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : This is my point about Reddick and his importance to Sox. I don't think he is a clutch hitter by any stretch of the imagination, nor is he a run-producer guy. He is Kevin Romine and Reid Nichols, that's what he is and that's not saying a lot on a team that seems to be completely relying on 3 or 4 guys to do all the offensive work--Pedroia, AGON, Ortiz and Youkilis. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny,

Reddick's greatest asset his his ability to play RF in Fenway and give us quality at bats from the 7th, 8th or 9th spot while platooning with D-Mac...He's on the roster becasue of the injury to Drew and his ability to cover the expanse that is RF in Fenway...

Our issue right now is pitching, and our hitting with runner in scoring position might be a tad better if the guy we currently have hitting clean-up (Pedrioa) could square up a ball and find some grass...

End of the day our offense hasn't been an issue all year, nor has it been awful in September either, even with the lack of production we're getting from both our corner ofer's...The reality is that our pitching has hit a wall and the injuries haven't helped...If we are to hold off the Ray's and make a push to keep the Yanks within striking distance, we're going to have to do a little better than our current a 6.61 team ERA in September which is oh by the way 14th out of 14 AL Teams...We've scored 54 runs in September, 1 more than the Yankees have but we've allowed 73 to thier 47....Meanwhile the Ray's have scored 50 while allowing only 35...

It ain't rocket science here guys...and we can make Francona the scapegoat, and beat up a kid like Reddick and we can lamment what Epstein coulda shoulda, done. But the reality is that yesterday our best (Lester) got his azz whopped! in a must win game, while the Rays got a big game out of Shields...One guy stepped up the other didn't!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings?month=september

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from losingsucks. Show losingsucks's posts

Here is some food for thought.

If we had kept Beltre and martinez instead of picking up Gonzalea and Crawford we would have saved a TON of money.  I think our defense would be better also with Beltre at third and Youk at first and probably would have boosted Youk's offensive numbers.  Here are the numbers this year for the four players:

Agon/Crawford combined....67 doubles, 36 HR's, 161 RBI's and .828 OPS

Beltre/Vmart combined .....64 doubles, 33 HR's, 178 RBI's and.835 OPS.

I think we would be in much better shape had we not made these changes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?:
    [QUOTE]What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't when: 1. He puts Matt Albers into a 4-1 game with the bases loaded and....KABOOM. Albers had allowed 27 hits in his previous 16 1/3 innings.  2. Continues to use Darnell McDonald, pinch hitting him for Reddick. 3. Play Jed Lowrie. Answers from Red Sox nation?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

83% of statistics are made up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I have a question, how did Francona take out Papelbon on Saturday after we tied the game up in the ninth.  He threw sixteen pitches in two full innings as was taken out to bring in a struggling Bard.   What logic was at use here?   This was a key turnaround game and the momentum was ours while Papelbon was in there.  Losing that game confirmed the slide we were in and put an even darker black cloud over Bard.  Unbelievable stupid managing no matter how you slice. Forget the player fatigue, the season is at risk and you lit a fire under the team just behind you in the standing Tito.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Leaving Papelbon in to pitch the 11th assumes:  1) the Sox were going to score soon (like the 12th inning); 2) Francona could guess the right guy to give the ball to in the 12th (and possibly later) inning (s), a big deal since, according to you, Bard was not availalble because he stinks; 3) Papelbon would not be needed the next day when Lester was pitching. 

In other words, your insight is based on faulty assumptions. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Here is some food for thought. If we had kept Beltre and martinez instead of picking up Gonzalea and Crawford we would have saved a TON of money.  I think our defense would be better also with Beltre at third and Youk at first and probably would have boosted Youk's offensive numbers.  Here are the numbers this year for the four players: Agon/Crawford combined....67 doubles, 36 HR's, 161 RBI's and .828 OPS Beltre/Vmart combined .....64 doubles, 33 HR's, 178 RBI's and.835 OPS. I think we would be in much better shape had we not made these changes.
    Posted by losingsucks[/QUOTE]

Let's just for giggles say we signed Mratinez and Beltre as you suggested...Where exactly would martinez have played becasue the numbers he's posted this year have been primarily as a DH...ever wonder why he signed with detriot and no one offered a guy that hits .300, just turned 32 an everyday catchers job?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Max,
    My assumption was based on the fact that the game was winnable and Papelbon had not been close to expended.  I said Bard had come off a horrible performance and has not been as sharp of late. From a manager's standpoint I would have thought putting him in when he had struggled  so mightily the day before was asking too much and that Papelbon looked unhittable. A victory was there to take and if you didn't see that you may have made an error in judgement.  

I watched the game closely and while nothing is guaranteed Papelbon needed to stay out there and help us get that win.  Flexibility in managing is appropriate at this crucial point in the season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona is a creature of habit - whether it is the l-r-l-r batting order scheme, the Dmac pinch hits for reddick, starters get pulled after 100 or so or bard in 8th papa in 9th, he just doesnt shake it up...you would think after losing badly this past month that a new order or approach would be useful but it's just not happening

why not?
     put Aceves in the starting rotation
    DFA Drew to send a message
    fine Papi for not running out anything anymore thats not a hit (this is getting disgusting imho)
    play salty more
    bench lowrie
    no days off until we clinch or are eliminated - starters only
    remove useless albers and rely on some new fresher arms...
    call out a few players with their lack of hustle and boneheaded plays (like cut off mistakes/not covering first

seriously what is the message our manager is sending to the team - that it is OK to collapse and play terrible ball in september? In april we could say that and still have 135 games left...where is the urgency?

whats the worse that can happen?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losingsucks. Show losingsucks's posts

Martinez would catch, play first and DH......I don't see any playing time issues with him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Max, My assumption was based on the fact that the game was winnable and Papelbon had not been close to expended.  I said Bard had come off a horrible performance and has not been as sharp of late. From a manager's standpoint I would have thought putting him in when he had struggled  so mightily the day before was asking too much and that Papelbon looked unhittable. A victory was there to take and if you didn't see that you may have made an error in judgement.   I watched the game closely and while nothing is guaranteed Papelbon needed to stay out there and help us get that win.  Flexibility in managing is appropriate at this crucial point in the season. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

We completely agree that the game was winnable.  However, sending Papelbon out to pitch the 11th had nothing to do with winning and everything to do keeping the score tied.  That would have been the basis for having him pitch 3 innings--a tie.

To win the Sox would have to score a run or two and hold back the Rays even though the Sox bullpen stunk at Tropicana.  You have already said Bard was/is unreliable, so who would you have sent out to pitch the 12th, 13th, etc? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

tbrod,.......Dude, you're holding on too tight. It's time to switch hands.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Francona is a creature of habit - whether it is the l-r-l-r batting order scheme, the Dmac pinch hits for reddick, starters get pulled after 100 or so or bard in 8th papa in 9th, he just doesnt shake it up...you would think after losing badly this past month that a new order or approach would be useful but it's just not happening why not?  put Aceves in the starting rotation DFA Drewto send a message fine Papi for not running out anything anymore thats not a hit (this is getting disgusting imho) play salty more bench lowrie no days off until we clinch or are eliminated - starters only remove useless albers and rely on some new fresher arms... call out a few players with their lack of hustle and boneheaded plays (like cut off mistakes/not covering first seriously what is the message our manager is sending to the team - that it is OK to collapse and play terrible ball in september? In april we could say that and still have 135 games left...where is the urgency? whats the worse that can happen?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I just read that Drew busted his finger while trying to cut his rehab short.
    He's likely finished.

Sections
Shortcuts