What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?

Two more weeks of Drew and then Andrewmitch will set his windage directly on Crawford. Andrew needs an identity fetish.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't?:
    [QUOTE]Francona is a creature of habit - whether it is the l-r-l-r batting order scheme, the Dmac pinch hits for reddick, starters get pulled after 100 or so or bard in 8th papa in 9th, he just doesnt shake it up...you would think after losing badly this past month that a new order or approach would be useful but it's just not happening why not?  put Aceves in the starting rotation DFA Drew to send a message fine Papi for not running out anything anymore thats not a hit (this is getting disgusting imho) play salty more bench lowrie no days off until we clinch or are eliminated - starters only remove useless albers and rely on some new fresher arms... call out a few players with their lack of hustle and boneheaded plays (like cut off mistakes/not covering first seriously what is the message our manager is sending to the team - that it is OK to collapse and play terrible ball in september? In april we could say that and still have 135 games left...where is the urgency? whats the worse that can happen?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Like the new avatar, geo ... was getting sick of seeing Clemens' ugly mug!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Max, My assumption was based on the fact that the game was winnable and Papelbon had not been close to expended.  I said Bard had come off a horrible performance and has not been as sharp of late. From a manager's standpoint I would have thought putting him in when he had struggled  so mightily the day before was asking too much and that Papelbon looked unhittable. A victory was there to take and if you didn't see that you may have made an error in judgement.   I watched the game closely and while nothing is guaranteed Papelbon needed to stay out there and help us get that win.  Flexibility in managing is appropriate at this crucial point in the season. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

By this time of the season, most closers have about 55 appearances.  Has there been even one 3-inning outing by a closer in close to 2000 appearances?

Valverde -0- outings of 2 IP
    Rivera 1 outing of 2 IP
    League -0- outings of 2 IP
    Perez -0- outings of 2 IP
    Santos 5 outings of 2.0 but I don't think he was closer yet
    Walden -0- outings of 2 IP
    Paps 1 outing of 2 IPs
    Soria 2 outings of 2 IP
    Feliz 2 outings of 2 IP
    Farns -0- outings of 2 IP

So, of the top 10 save guys in the league, you have 6 outings of 2 IPs, and -0- outings of anything longer, not even 2.1.  That is somewhere between 500-600 outings and -0- 3 IP appearances.

You see this a lot in here.  People blame Tito for not doing something that no one does.  It's like when the critics blamed Tito for not using Papi and Youk to sacrifice last year, when a quick review of the top hitters showed they had -0- sacs in about 60,000 ABs.  Or like 1941's assertion that RPs should get used to throwing four IPs.  It just defies common sense.  It's like wondering why our players don't sprout wings to catch fly balls.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

seriously what is the message our manager is sending to the team - that it is OK to collapse and play terrible ball in september? In april we could say that and still have 135 games left...where is the urgency?

You sure this has nothing to do with us starting Wake, Miller, Lackey and Weiland imstead of Beckett, Buchholz, Bedard and dice?  In my book, you always play full out, so on that I agree.

But Wake, Miller, Lackey and Weiland can be running wind sprints at 3 AM and pounding weights at 6 AM and it won't make that much difference.  I'm not bagging on these guys, but the difference between Beckett pitching and Weiland pitching is worth more than all the hustle in the world.  I could roll myself off the couch, put the beer back in the fridge, and take Pedroia's place, and me and Beckett and have a better chance of winning than Pedroia and Weiland.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does Francona see that 99% of the population doesn't? : Worse than Pinky Higgins, Jimy Williams, Don Zimmer, Billy Herman?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE] He also makes Grady Little look like a genius!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Or like 1941's assertion that RPs should get used to throwing four IPs. 
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I got a good laugh when I read that. There's a reason these guys are relief pitchers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Here is some food for thought. If we had kept Beltre and martinez instead of picking up Gonzalea and Crawford we would have saved a TON of money.  I think our defense would be better also with Beltre at third and Youk at first and probably would have boosted Youk's offensive numbers.  Here are the numbers this year for the four players: Agon/Crawford combined....67 doubles, 36 HR's, 161 RBI's and .828 OPS Beltre/Vmart combined .....64 doubles, 33 HR's, 178 RBI's and.835 OPS. I think we would be in much better shape had we not made these changes.
    Posted by losingsucks[/QUOTE]

And the Sox would have gone good chunks of the season without the two corner infielders. Beltre has played in just 108 games or so, and Youk has been in the DL in each of the last couple of years when he was at 1B so I doubt very much that playing 3B is the reason he's on the DL this year. He has to move just as much, if not more (bouncing back and forth when he's holding runners on), playing 1B.

And where would Martinez play? Not 1B. Not DH. Ortiz' is second or third in the league in OPS so he's still better. And certainly not catcher. He has played just a handful of games at catcher and his numbers aren't very good when he catchers this year. And despite barely catching, he was on the DL earlier this year himself, so there's no way he'd have the same numbers as a fulltime catcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Here is some food for thought. If we had kept Beltre and martinez instead of picking up Gonzalea and Crawford we would have saved a TON of money.  I think our defense would be better also with Beltre at third and Youk at first and probably would have boosted Youk's offensive numbers.  Here are the numbers this year for the four players: Agon/Crawford combined....67 doubles, 36 HR's, 161 RBI's and .828 OPS Beltre/Vmart combined .....64 doubles, 33 HR's, 178 RBI's and.835 OPS. I think we would be in much better shape had we not made these changes.
    Posted by losingsucks[/QUOTE]

Sure that might have been nice for a year but AGon is the centerpiece of the line-up for the next 7 years or more... he is an excellent defensive player, with a great attitude, and should only get better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In defense of Lester - if 15-7, 3.07 ERA, 66 BB in 176 innings (3 per game), 149 hits in 176 innings is struggling - give me 4 more like him and sit down while I run away with the division.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Lester is entitled to bad games here and there... I am talking about a mind set that has cemented itself within management, passed down to its pitchers, and then accepted by fans.  Starters should feel they have not done their job if they haven't gotten through the 7th inning. With that changed mentality we would actually get more out of our starters such as Lester and Beckett - both quite capable of pitching at a higher level.

I don't for a minute pretend to single out Lester for having one bad game (the other day)... that is going to happen to the best of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m