What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?

AGon is doing fine without the dingers. 

I would bat Ortiz 3d because so far he is our best hitter.  He deserves "protection" more than AGon.  Pedroia can bet 2d, Aviles leadoff, and Youk 5th (or lower). 

As I recall, AGon's OPS drops off a good 100 points against lefties, which is how Pedroia gets to bat 3d sometimes. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

The dingers are going to have to come. If they don't he will never be the player Theo paid for. If the homers don't exceed the expectations, he'll be another small market player who couldn't play at Fenway. By the way, he has terrible numbers against the Yankees. Not just while a red sox but his career is around .188 against new york.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Agon has not been as advertised power wise...that and his emotionless persona makes it difficult to embrace him in the same way fans embraced manny or papi...he was signed for his power...not just rbi's....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?:
    Agon has not been as advertised power wise...that and his emotionless persona makes it difficult to embrace him in the same way fans embraced manny or papi...he was signed for his power...not just rbi's....
    Posted by georom4

guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder geo.  i appreciate his cool calm.  I also look at his .548 slugging percentage from last year and see that he only had one other season in his whole career with a higher % ... 3 points higher.  So, actually he was just as advertised (just with a significantly higher batting average).  No, he didn't as many homeruns as many, including myself, speculated he would factoring in park adjustment.  But, given the aforementioned high slugging %, one might conclude that the monstah may have taken away a few more than it giveth in his case.  Anyway, if you can't live without 40 HRs, so be it.  But then I don't think you read the whole advertisement on Adrian.

I suspect people will embrace him just fine if the Sox win.  Let us remember also that Sox fans had an ambivalent, to say the least, "embrace" of Manny Ramirez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I could care less about a player's personality. I look deep into their numbers though. He stopped playing at the end of august last year, and that is problem. So far this year he is doing ok, but ok will not cut it in sept or the post season. Meanwhile Ortiz just went yard again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If he hits 25 homers and drives in 115 runs I really don't care. This is 50 doubles, 30 homer, 120 ribbie sort of player. Who cares if he ever hits more than 30 homers if the overall production is there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : I know Pri.  I just wanted to push your buttons.  Tex is a fantastic first baseman.  Great hands and, certainly better laterally getting to balls than Gonzalez.  But I think Gonzalez's might have superior hands and is better picking throws in the dirt.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

True, both excellent first basemen, and I agree, Gonzalez must be unmatched when it comes to picking throws out of the dirt.  Gonzalez also just seems to have great instincts defensively when it comes to having a shot at gettng the lead runner.  When other guys may take the conservative route and tag first, he is throwing out lead runners, and rarely makes a poor throw.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Prince Fielder went 19 games without a homer, and I believe Pujols still doesn't even have one yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Burrito Thanks for the update and I'm sure you aren't saying it's ok for Gonzales to hit shy of the fence, because these other two are slumping. I only care what the sox players are doing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : I know Pri.  I just wanted to push your buttons.  Tex is a fantastic first baseman.  Great hands and, certainly better laterally getting to balls than Gonzalez.  But I think Gonzalez's might have superior hands and is better picking throws in the dirt.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Its the Dog Days of Spring, Gonzo will be okay 30hrs 120ribies....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Last year he "only" hit 27 homers but he also hit 338 which is 45 points above his career average.  He had an excellent year and he started off slowly last year as well.

Give it time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Last year he "only" hit 27 homers but he also hit 338 which is 45 points above his career average.  He had an excellent year and he started off slowly last year as well. Give it time.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Don't be stupid Snake.  April defines the season and you can bank on all April trends carrying on into the summer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : Don't be stupid Snake.  April defines the season and you can bank on all April trends carrying on into the summer.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Oh i totally agree. Adrian Gonzalez has had almost 4,000 career at bats.  It makes no sense to judge him on them.  I just look at the 85 he has had this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

With everyone else providing the production, it must feel good to him not to have the pressure. I do think he is better suited for the 3 hole though, with Papi 4th, Youk 5th (or Ross if Youk has a tummy ache), and pedey 2nd.
    When and if CC comes back this year, I would put Aviles in the 5 spot.
    Sweeney should be 8th. We need a good OB guy at the bottom of the order.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Wake up and stop making excuses.  It should be obvious to you that he is not what was advertised and the RS are first-class boneheads making trades, signing free agents and signing contracts.  On top of all that, the ownership apparently doesn't see the need to get rid of certain decision making people who continue to stay on the payroll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Here's an interesting stat. 

Agon is batting just .143 when leading off an inning.  Otherwise, he's batting 296.  Historically, leading off an inning hasn't been a problem for him.

Must be Bobby V.'s presence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Small sample has Agon hitting like my little brother and Ortiz Hitting like the next Ted Williams. Agon will come around given time and David will have a great year as well. (sorry no 400+ average though)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Bobby wasn't around last season when Adrian took the month of september off. Listening to a few beat writers, Andrian's numbers in the second half of last season weren't great.

The presence of Bobby seems to be agreeing with Ortiz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Agon is sharing his powr with Aviles and Cody..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Pre All Star game last season Gonzo had 20 home runs, post All Star game 77 games he hit 7 home runs, he has hit 2 this season in 23 games, so in the last 100 games he's played he's hit 9 home runs. In addition his batting average for those 100 games is .280. 

He has Pedroia in front of him and Papi behind him, in San Diego he wasn't on a good hitting team, and in a big ball park. In Boston , pitchers really concentrate on Gonzo. He has very little plate discipline, they really exploit his weaknesses, he almost always swings at the first pitch. I think we are seeing the real Gonzo, hope not but, I wouldn't be too surprised if he hit's less than 20 home runs this season. $154 million for the slowest runner in MLB, another Theo bury the Sox signing.Lackey,Crawford,Jenks, Gonzo. Terrrrrrific.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'll take 116 rbis.
    Posted by flatlive
    I'll take the over on that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Pre All Star game last season Gonzo had 20 home runs, post All Star game 77 games he hit 7 home runs, he has hit 2 this season in 23 games, so in the last 100 games he's played he's hit 9 home runs. In addition his batting average for those 100 games is .280.  He has Pedroia in front of him and Papi behind him, in San Diego he wasn't on a good hitting team, and in a big ball park. In Boston , pitchers really concentrate on Gonzo. He has very little plate discipline, they really exploit his weaknesses, he almost always swings at the first pitch. I think we are seeing the real Gonzo, hope not but, I wouldn't be too surprised if he hit's less than 20 home runs this season. $154 million for the slowest runner in MLB, another Theo bury the Sox signing.Lackey,Crawford,Jenks, Gonzo. Terrrrrrific.
    Posted by aussiewill2
    Now that was funny. I almost split my sides when I finished this post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Nothing, AG power will return whem the weather improves June, July, August, and cool off in September. 

Sections
Shortcuts