What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?

What moves do you think the Sox should make?  Would anyone take Drew off our hands?

I'm just looking at possible chips to trade.  Not sure you would call Drew a "trade chip" though.

I think the Sox need more pitching and Jose Reyes.  They can solve right field by bringing up one of the kids.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?

No on Drew cpjohn..Nobody wants a 35yr old declining and currently underperforming player at 14mil..were stuck with it..I would think more like Reddick, kalish, navarro, Doubront if they want anything somewhay decent..They are all MLB ready or just about..I think the Sox need a RH OF bat..CaM and mac are done IMO, and u cant count on Cams D or bat anymore..hes a liability at this point...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I just remembered Millwood was working in the minors.  I wonder if he can solve some of the Sox pitching woes.  I would still like them to acquire more pitching though to be on the safe side.

I thnk Kalish or Redick should start and make Drew a bench player if he can't be traded.

Also, as I said before, get Jose Reyes.  We get a good defensive shortstop and also keep him from the Yankees.  The defense has been crap lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Millwood is currently doing really good..but it IS AAA..heres the stats cp

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=119154

Not sure on Reyes..The Mets will want too much for a 3 month rental IMO..hes gonna cost a TON in FA and will probably want tpo test the waters..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Maybe Reyes will want to be traded to Boston, the city of champions.  He seems like a fiery guy.  He'd love the Yanks/Sox rivalry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Drew's salary and production don't make him attractive to any contending teams.
    Theo would not be dealing from strength with so many lower level prospects at least 2 years away.
    Any player of significance on the market at the 7/31 trading deadline will be costly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?:
    What moves do you think the Sox should make?  Would anyone take Drew off our hands? I'm just looking at possible chips to trade.  Not sure you would call Drew a "trade chip" though. I think the Sox need more pitching and Jose Reyes.  They can solve right field by bringing up one of the kids. What are your thoughts?
    Posted by cpjohn1

I agree either Drew or Cam should be traded or released and the RF job given to Reddick who has more than earned it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Drew is most likely not a " Pretty" Proposition for any team...  However, "IF" the sox were able to find the right trading partner that had injuries, and were willing  to send him out of town for free a deal may still happen with him.

As I see it; he did better in the NL (When healthy).  SO would the Cards (with their injuries) take a flyer on him for a minor league player.... if we paid all but $3mil?   WHO knows?
    However, if anyone here is saying "We need to get pitching can we trade Drew and get another ARM?"... HECK NO!  If anyone is thinking "Maybe Drew could bring us something of immediate value for our penenat run".... DOUBTFUL! If anyone is thinking Maybe Jose Reyes could come to Boston in a deal where Drew goes to NY.....  "BE REAL!".

I would absolutely love to see Reyes come to Boston.....  Quality player that would sew up that position for a long time.... barring injury.  I just do not see it happening..... I do not see how we could muster enough to offer to be able to get him back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The Sox will not be able to unload Drew and Theo loves this guy too much to let that happen anyway.
    I agree, he should be coming off the bench, or maybe a late inning defensive replacement. No way should he start another game.
    Reddick seems to be finding his groove, but he'll be sent back down as soon a Crawford comes off the DL.
    If it were me, I'd keep Reddick and DFA Cameron or release him outright.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?:
    What moves do you think the Sox should make?  Would anyone take Drew off our hands? I'm just looking at possible chips to trade.  Not sure you would call Drew a "trade chip" though. I think the Sox need more pitching and Jose Reyes.  They can solve right field by bringing up one of the kids. What are your thoughts?
    Posted by cpjohn1

After they get Reyes for Drew, how about trade Johnny Pesky for Carlos Beltran?

If that doesn't work, how about Millwood for Felix Hernandez?

Those trades are just as likely...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

They would just hold on to Drew and move on from Cameron to bring RH OF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It looks like Reddick will be the rightfielder when Crawford returns. Drew has no trade value. You would have to just give him away and pay nearly all of his remaining salary. I noticed last night that Tito used McDonald as a pinch hitter , rather than use Cameron. That could be a sign that Cameron will the one to go. As for Reyes, he is having a great year. Has been injury prone in the past but seems healthy now. I don't see the Mets trading him unless you really make them an offer they cannot refuse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

who would want Drew? seriously dude

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Where are all the David Jonathan Drew and Theo apologists these days?

You know the ones who always cite his GS as being the "saving grace" in an 11-2 win whilst ignoring his backwards K in G7 of the 2008 ALCS in the bottom of the 9th in a 1-run game.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The one-trick pony has entered the room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?:
    Drew is most likely not a " Pretty" Proposition for any team...  However, "IF" the sox were able to find the right trading partner that had injuries, and were willing  to send him out of town for free a deal may still happen with him. As I see it; he did better in the NL (When healthy).  SO would the Cards (with their injuries) take a flyer on him for a minor league player.... if we paid all but $3mil?   WHO knows? However, if anyone here is saying "We need to get pitching can we trade Drew and get another ARM?"... HECK NO!  If anyone is thinking "Maybe Drew could bring us something of immediate value for our penenat run".... DOUBTFUL! If anyone is thinking Maybe Jose Reyes could come to Boston in a deal where Drew goes to NY.....  "BE REAL!". I would absolutely love to see Reyes come to Boston.....  Quality player that would sew up that position for a long time.... barring injury.  I just do not see it happening..... I do not see how we could muster enough to offer to be able to get him back.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

hate to break the news. The SOX already have their SS for the future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded?:
    who would want Drew? seriously dude
    Posted by fourrings

May be a stretch (a long one I grant you), but perhaps Atlanta would take a flyer on him.  I'm reading they need bats (okay, I'm surpressing laughter also), he's played well there in the past, and with so many teams in races around MLB, I'd think hitting help would be slim.  We'd probably have to eat half of the pro-rated salary to unload him, and we wouldn't get much in return, but something's better than  nothing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The Sox have obvious needs in rf, ss, starting and relief pitching, rh bat off the bench and really no trade chips to aquire said needs unless they dip into their minor leagues. I don't see this happening I think you'll see some cash deals or players to be named later. Sometimes this avenue can catch lightning in a bottle, see Cody Ross of the Giants last year, who was only picked to block the Padres from getting him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded? : May be a stretch (a long one I grant you), but perhaps Atlanta would take a flyer on him.  I'm reading they need bats (okay, I'm surpressing laughter also), he's played well there in the past, and with so many teams in races around MLB, I'd think hitting help would be slim.  We'd probably have to eat half of the pro-rated salary to unload him, and we wouldn't get much in return, but something's better than  nothing.
    Posted by gr82bme

As much as I use to like J.D. Drew, for someone to take him in trade the Sox would of his $14 Mil salaried owed, haveto pay $13.9mil.

Kidding of course, but seriously if Drew is on the decline at best he would be a throw in on a deal with prospects for an everyday player of value. At best he's down to being a defensive replacement/bench player and if $14 mil is owed no one will want him.    

Hetchinspete 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded? : As much as I use to like J.D. Drew, for someone to take him in trade the Sox would of his $14 Mil salaried owed, haveto pay $13.9mil. Kidding of course, but seriously if Drew is on the decline at best he would be a throw in on a deal with prospects for an everyday player of value. At best he's down to being a defensive replacement/bench player and if $14 mil is owed no one will want him.     Hetchinspete 
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I hear you, but by the trade deadline, we'd only owe him about half of that 14M, and perhaps we'd be willing to eat half of that (about 3.5M).  Yes, lost money, and nothing more than a bag of shag balls in return (not sure he's worth that much this year), but at least Reddick could get more playing time.  I can't for the life of me figure out why Reddick, swinging a hot bat, is hitting behid the Drew, the human rally killer, because it only took the first inning for that move to but us in the you-know-where.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Drew is most likely not a " Pretty" Proposition for any team...  However, "IF" the sox were able to find the right trading partner that had injuries, and were willing  to send him out of town for free a deal may still happen with him. As I see it; he did better in the NL (When healthy).  SO would the Cards (with their injuries) take a flyer on him for a minor league player.... if we paid all but $3mil?   WHO knows? However, if anyone here is saying "We need to get pitching can we trade Drew and get another ARM?"... HECK NO!  If anyone is thinking "Maybe Drew could bring us something of immediate value for our penenat run".... DOUBTFUL! If anyone is thinking Maybe Jose Reyes could come to Boston in a deal where Drew goes to NY.....  "BE REAL!". I would absolutely love to see Reyes come to Boston.....  Quality player that would sew up that position for a long time.... barring injury.  I just do not see it happening..... I do not see how we could muster enough to offer to be able to get him back.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

What about J.D. Drew for Matt Capps? Delmon Young just went down with an injury and their team is loaded with injuries. The Twins only have i think 3 starters from there starting team that hasn't been on the DL. We offer to eat a big chunk of money. Maybe around 8 million which would leave six million on the contract and then they will be taking on a smaller contract then Capps who is getting paid about 7 million.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Which GM in his right mind would want to pay Drew $$$ for a player having a poor year? Do posters think before they start threads?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Which GM in his right mind would want to pay Drew $$$ for a player having a poor year? Do posters think before they start threads?
    Posted by Your-Echo

May want to check out part of the title of the thread - "can Drew be traded."  With respect to "do posters think before they start threads," do you think or even read the title of a thread before you enter, foam at the keyboard, and disparage others.  Here's a hint Hawking - if you can't stand the thread, try not entering it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

The Sox have obvious needs in rf, ss, starting and relief pitching, rh bat off the bench and really no trade chips to aquire said needs unless they dip into their minor leagues. I don't see this happening I think you'll see some cash deals or players to be named later. Sometimes this avenue can catch lightning in a bottle, see Cody Ross of the Giants last year, who was only picked to block the Padres from getting him.
    Posted by attic-dan

Although I really like Reyes, I think the RS would have to give up too much to get him. Offensively, Iglessias is not even close and Scut can't get it done either. I think the RS should look at Sogard in the A's organization. I know Eric really well. He played HS ball with my son and I watched him play for 4 years at ASU. He's the real deal...another Pedroia. Check it out:

I propose that Boston takes a look at Eric Sogard in the Oakland A's AAA minor league system. He is a solid 300 hitter, OBP 382, SLG 411, OPS 793 with 13 SB, and more importantly only 31 strike outs in 275 at bats. He batted 429 last Sept. when Oakland brought him up. He is an above average infielder and can play any of the infield positions. He is out of the mold of Pedroia, in fact, like Pedoria, he played at ASU and was a 2nd round pick by SD.

In his last 10 game in Sacramento he is batting 314, OBP of 419, SLG of 429 and an OPS of 847. He is a tremendous contact hitter. Last year, he led the
    California league with 42 doubles. Check out this link www.athleticsnation.com/2010/1/30/1283954/an-exclusive-a-frank-assessment-of it will tell you a little bit more about his playing abilities. And yes, he is playing at SS right now in Sacramento. Boston should trade for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Re: What happens for the Sox at the trade deadline? Can Drew be traded? : May want to check out part of the title of the thread - "can Drew be traded."  With respect to "do posters think before they start threads," do you think or even read the title of a thread before you enter, foam at the keyboard, and disparage others.  Here's a hint Hawking - if you can't stand the thread, try not entering it.
    Posted by gr82bme

OK ezz whipe, only response necessary -- NO.

End of thread.  Nothing more to see here, move along.

Sections
Shortcuts