What happens to guys like Veritek?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

What happens to guys like Veritek?

A serious question, and I hope it doesn't provoke the predictable, "Who cares?" or "He had it coming to him.".

Assuming he's not in the plans for the Sox, what DOES happen to guys like him?  Do they ever call him into someone's office and tell him that he doesn't fit into their plans?  Do they try to move him?  Or do they just let him twist in the breeze until he finally figures out that he's either got to try to strike a deal someplace or give up the game?  Does anyone with MLB knowledge know the answer to this?

I'm still not a fan of getting rid of him, but if it's going to happen then it's going to happen.  If it happens I just hope they treat the guy with respect.  Like him or not, he was a catalyst and a leader during '04 and '07, and someone they once thought enough of to have a "C" put on his shirt.  He deserves one hell of a lot better treatement than to be kicked to the curb like yesterday's garbage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: What happens to guys like Veritek?

What happens?

In some cases they leave the sport or their team to only have their name mis-spelled.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

That just doesn't seem like it could happen, with all the unemployed proofreaders in the world.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I lost a lot of respect for Varitek when I heard about all the player problems, especially pitchers.  The guy wears the C on his uniform for a reason.  He didn't perform.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: What happens to guys like Veritek?:
    [QUOTE]That just doesn't seem like it could happen, with all the unemployed proofreaders in the world.  :-)
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

Sometimes there just are not enough proofreaders to manage misguided spellers.

This thread is akin to cheering for Kevin Youkilis when he hits a touchdown and saying...

"Nice goin' Uke!!!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They fade away.

I think he's done playing.  if he needs the money, and I think he does, he could find his way to coaching in the minors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I lost a lot of respect for Varitek when I heard about all the player problems, especially pitchers.  The guy wears the C on his uniform for a reason.  He didn't perform.
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

Lighten up Maize and Blue...or we may call that silly yellow color what it is.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]I lost a lot of respect for Varitek when I heard about all the player problems, especially pitchers.  The guy wears the C on his uniform for a reason.  He didn't perform.

I thought he wore the C on his chest because he was selected as captain a few years ago.  Hard for the backup catcher to be the leader of the team. 

There were no player problems last year.  It was all nonsense made up by the media.  Lackey's arm was about ready to fall off and beckett had a bad ankle.  people want to make more of it, particularly the reporters taking a lead from the front office, because the front office wanted to let Tito walk and they could very well do that if the real reason the team faltered at the end was because the front office put together a roster that wasn't built to last the entire season.

They simply didn't have enough pitching and no amount of leadership, coaching, or whatever can change that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought from a fans perspective watching it unfold, the Yankees mishandled the similar situation with Posada.
    My understanding is that Tek has been told to make a deal elsewhere if he wishes, or he can come to ST and see what unfolds with no promises and a contact proposal that reflects that.
    Tek is weighing to retire or hook on either with the O's or the Mets both showing slight interest.
    I know Tek a little, and in the back of his mind he is saying if healthy he can still contribute. But I do not see him uprooting and leaving the area.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] bottom line a stars last moments are seldom pretty
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that's very true.  

IF the FO has decided that 'tek is done I still hope they let him bow out gracefully by giving him a position of some kind within the team, either as a coach, a scout, or a manager.

It would be a good PR move on the part of the team, allow 'tek to walk away with his head up, and at the same time the fans would know that it's really because tek's time has come.  Everybody wins, and 'tek gets respected for his contributions.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think he already knows that the Sox are not bringing him back...he can't be that in the dark.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

So all the positive he did throughout his career is wiped out because of a bad last year?

Nice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Baseball is like the real world afterall.. the office can't be honest enough to tell you goodbye they have to just keep dropping big hints... like hiring your replacement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Do any of us whether the FO called Varitek and told him what was in the works. Why make the assumption that they did not? If they did and released the dialog, would it be thread material?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the sox handled the situation well. Besides, it isn't like tek is going to suffer financially. I follow some cub fans and writers on twitter. There is talk that both tek and wake are talking to Theo.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Exactly how did the Red Sox FO handle the situation?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Boy, I'd like to see him share more of his game prep and game calling knowledge with Salt and Lavarnway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

They buy car Dealerships and open Restaurants.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happens to guys like Veritek? : .  There were no player problems last year.  It was all nonsense made up by the media.  Lackey's arm was about ready to fall off and beckett had a bad ankle.  people want to make more of it, particularly the reporters taking a lead from the front office, because the front office wanted to let Tito walk and they could very well do that if the real reason the team faltered at the end was because the front office put together a roster that wasn't built to last the entire season. They simply didn't have enough pitching and no amount of leadership, coaching, or whatever can change that.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Just not true.  The player character problems have been verified by many, including Tito who looked staright into the camera and mentioned them when he discussed his losing the team and their needing a new voice.

Trying to make believe it was all concocted by media and management conspiracy is just ridiculous.

The reason they choked certainly wasn't only the poor character of many players, but making believe it never existed is justifying some sort of personal agenda.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to What happens to guys like Veritek?:
    [QUOTE]A serious question, and I hope it doesn't provoke the predictable, "Who cares?" or "He had it coming to him.". Assuming he's not in the plans for the Sox, what DOES happen to guys like him?  Do they ever call him into someone's office and tell him that he doesn't fit into their plans?  Do they try to move him?  Or do they just let him twist in the breeze until he finally figures out that he's either got to try to strike a deal someplace or give up the game?  Does anyone with MLB knowledge know the answer to this? I'm still not a fan of getting rid of him, but if it's going to happen then it's going to happen.  If it happens I just hope they treat the guy with respect.  Like him or not, he was a catalyst and a leader during '04 and '07, and someone they once thought enough of to have a "C" put on his shirt.  He deserves one hell of a lot better treatement than to be kicked to the curb like yesterday's garbage.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I'm still looking for a post that says "he had it coming to him."

Still searching for the garbage part, too.

And when an old player just won't retire, they eventually get "kicked to the curb" in those players fans' eyes, simply by being replaced.  Its happened many times in Boston and every other city, and those fans wiill defend to the death how awful their guy was treated, no matter how normal and professional it was handled. <coughMIKELOWELLcoughcough! />

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...There were no player problems last year.  It was all nonsense made up by the media....

I agree.

It makes it easier for those who really believed the Sox were good enough to win it all in 2011, to explain why it happened.

Blaming it on injuries is whining.

Blaming it on rich spoiled players is so much more palatable.

To try and blame VTek for not getting in some players faces (that is many assume he never did) is ludicrous.
      1) Does anyone really think that if Beckett or Lester or whoever was reallysupposedly slacking off, that Jason (or Tito) getting in their mug would magically "turn them around"?
      2) Hasn't many a great leader been applauded for "leading by example" and not by screaming and threatening people?
      3) Has any current Sox player put more blood, sweat, and tears into this team than VTek? The guy worked tirelessly to prepare for every game, to make the pitcher's life easier, and to put the opps in their place when needed (ARod).
      4) I seriously doubt that VTek did anything different in the clubhouse this year than he did in 2004 and 2007, and yet he was made the captain and praised then while being "kicked to the curb" now. 
      5) Just as we did not lose in 1986 because of Bill Buckner, in no way can 2011 be blamed on VTek anymore than other players. As a back-up catcher, he caught more innings than all but 3 MLB back-up catchers, and hit better than nearly half of all starting MLB catchers (by OPS).

VTek should be remembered fondly. I for one have no regrets that he was on our team this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Gee, I wish I'd said that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Gee, I wish I'd said that.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I also wish i said it too. Well said, moonslav59

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it seems to me that the people who wont leave what happened last year in the past are the folks who claimed that nothing was wrong...they are still at it and it is pathetic...why try to re-write history DirtyWater??? Really nothing was wrong? Your own manager admitted he was disrespected and backstabbed by the very players he supported for years. Moon, Tek has no blame for what happened in the clubhouse? He was the captain and he was just a witness to the most corrosive team environment ever in the history of the Sox. Why didnt he get into their faces? It is a simple question and not hard to figure out the answer. Because the main idiot was Beckett, and Tek ralized he existed solely to be Beckett's binky. He wasnt going to upset his own gravy train so he shrunk from the September shenanigans. He let the Texas trio sabatoge the team, undermine the manager, and squander our playoff chances for his own personal reasons. He exhibited no leadership, and with his declining skills, he is rightfully being released this coming season.

Maybe folks like Dirty, Pike, and to a lesser extent Moon, should accept the conventional wisdom of what happened and move on. We have a better manager next year (Francona was woefully unable to lead) and the core remains strong...

Sections
Shortcuts