What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

You might be right.  How many games have you seen Boagerts actaully play at SS?  10?  20?  more than that?

I've seen him play more than 20 times, in Greenville. Lowrie wasn't any SS, and neither is Bogaerts. He has slugging potential, but I have my doubts whether he's going to be a strong career MLB slugger. One of the reasons I included him, in the event he'd be required in a trade for J. Upton (I doubt it), is that J. Upton isn't much older and has proven MLB slugging ability and is a perfect fit for Boston/AL. 

Justin turns 26 this August. Boggy turns 21 in October.

I'm not sure I'd say an over 5 years differential "isn't much older".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't necessarily say he is knocking on the door. he only has a handful of AA ABs and could still use some work. XB may not be end up being a ML SS but let him make our decision for us. If it does come down to iggy and XB in AAA then make XB the SS and move iggy to 2B or 3B.. Iggy is already adept defensively so no need to keep playing him there if someone else can be slotted in his place. He needs to work on his bat and can do that from a different position while XB works on his defense. Since i don't really see iggy as a ML SS anyway this could definitely help what little value he has. I also only think its a matter of time before iggy becomes a UIF but that's neither here nor there.

Moving Iggy from SS makes no sense. He still needs to refine his defensive game a bit, and teaching him a new position is not going to help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I wouldn't necessarily say he is knocking on the door. he only has a handful of AA ABs and could still use some work. XB may not be end up being a ML SS but let him make our decision for us. If it does come down to iggy and XB in AAA then make XB the SS and move iggy to 2B or 3B.. Iggy is already adept defensively so no need to keep playing him there if someone else can be slotted in his place. He needs to work on his bat and can do that from a different position while XB works on his defense. Since i don't really see iggy as a ML SS anyway this could definitely help what little value he has. I also only think its a matter of time before iggy becomes a UIF but that's neither here nor there.

Moving Iggy from SS makes no sense. He still needs to refine his defensive game a bit, and teaching him a new position is not going to help.

if it allows XB to continue in his progression as a SS and also allows iggy to stay in the lineup to work on his dreadful offensive game then i don't see what the problem is.

especially when at this point, i see iggy as a UIF moreso than a starting SS. barring an offensive improvement

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

How many 6-3 SSs are or have been above average fielders?

While moving a player might not "take much time", moving him to 3B (his most likely best slot), would also involve moving Middlebrooks to 1B.

While I do think moving him now is the best idea, it's not urgent. I'm OK with waiting a year, but I do think the move should come sooner rather than later. With Iggy at SS in AAA needing FT play, and Boggy knocking on the AAA door, something may have to give this summer, unless Drew gets hurt and everyone moves up a notch.

You might be right.  How many games have you seen Boagerts actaully play at SS?  10?  20?  more than that?

Still going on about batting averages?  Do you not understand that OBP is a far more relevant measure, or are you just cherry picking to try to make your case better?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Has anyone actually seen Boagerts play?  You've actually watched him play 9 innings?  Or maybe you've seen him play 5, 10, 20 games?

Anyone on this board actually done that?

A highly relevant question.  I'd be surprised if many/any here have seen him play even five times.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

You expect people to believe a busy lawyer like you had the time to go to 2/3s of the games he played there

You are so filled with animus that your anger is blather. Yes, I had time to attend more than 20 home games within walking distance of where I live.

Just because I find same-sex sexual relations to be perverted and repulsive is no reason to lose your temper. You must tolerate those who have different viewpoints than Ellen and Oprah and Anderson.

practice what you preach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You expect people to believe a busy lawyer like you had the time to go to 2/3s of the games he played there

You are so filled with animus that your anger is blather. Yes, I had time to attend more than 20 home games within walking distance of where I live.

Just because I find same-sex sexual relations to be perverted and repulsive is no reason to lose your temper. You must tolerate those who have different viewpoints than Ellen and Oprah and Anderson.

....and you counted your gold hoard when you got home from the game, right?  How many hours/week do you spend at your high-powered lawyer job? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

How many hours do you spend at the National Trust line in London?

The "National Trust line"?  Do you mean www.nationaltrust.org.uk/If so, while I don't work for them, what in your feverish little mind is wrong with the National Trust?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

With Drew staying in town for a year, Iggy is slotted to start in the minors once again and likely open the 2013 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox manning the SS position.  And let's not forget that we have another highly touted prospect on the rise who happens to have the same position as Iggy right at this moment and considered as #1 prospect of this organization who will most likely start the season with AA team.  Bogaerts was so good last season that he had to split time between Salem and Portland and he will likely do the same this year but in the higher levels this season.  If Bogaerts continues where he was left off last season (92 ABs/ 5 HRs/ 17 RBIs/ .326 AVG/ .598 SLG/ .948 OPS), he will get promoted early in the season. If that's the case, is he going be challenged to play different position at Pawtucket or is Iggy going to sit?

I think we should give Middy some experience playing 1B to see how he handles the position just in case Bogy does end up at 3B where many feel he might.  There is a good chance it may be our best move for the future at both positions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

With Drew staying in town for a year, Iggy is slotted to start in the minors once again and likely open the 2013 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox manning the SS position.  And let's not forget that we have another highly touted prospect on the rise who happens to have the same position as Iggy right at this moment and considered as #1 prospect of this organization who will most likely start the season with AA team.  Bogaerts was so good last season that he had to split time between Salem and Portland and he will likely do the same this year but in the higher levels this season.  If Bogaerts continues where he was left off last season (92 ABs/ 5 HRs/ 17 RBIs/ .326 AVG/ .598 SLG/ .948 OPS), he will get promoted early in the season. If that's the case, is he going be challenged to play different position at Pawtucket or is Iggy going to sit?

I think we should give Middy some experience playing 1B to see how he handles the position just in case Bogy does end up at 3B where many feel he might.  There is a good chance it may be our best move for the future at both positions.

instead of having 2 guys learn new positions why don't we just have XB learn to play 1B? been saying that since we traded a-gon away

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

instead of having 2 guys learn new positions why don't we just have XB learn to play 1B? been saying that since we traded a-gon away

Who really knows if Middy or Bogy end up part of our future?  Middy replacing Youk was a kid taking advantage of injuries but doesn't necessarily mean he will do as well or better this season.  Bogy "like Bradley" also has a way to go before predicting he may be our future CF.

I also don't believe Iggy's defense is deserving of the starting SS position in a lineup which has struggled to get OB.  Thats pretty much like saying Nap will help the club more than AGon, or Salty will call a better game than Tek or Ross.  We need to make these adjustments with an open mind to help our teams future rather than get caught up in the love or hype we may have for a particular player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

if it allows XB to continue in his progression as a SS and also allows iggy to stay in the lineup to work on his dreadful offensive game then i don't see what the problem is.

especially when at this point, i see iggy as a UIF moreso than a starting SS. barring an offensive improvement

Fair enough position. If Iggy is going to become a defensive UIF, your plan makes sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

They should move Boggy to 3B or 1B. End of logjam at SS in AAA. Hurries up the inevitable as well.

Hmmm. If they move Bogaerts to 1B and he does well, then the 1 yr contract with Napoli seems like providence ....

:o)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Justin turns 26 this August. Boggy turns 21 in October.

Bogaerts will turn 21 next fall. It is unlikely that Bogaerts will be on the opening day 25 MLB active roster before 2014, if not later. Bogearts will likely be 22 or 23 before he is ready to be part of an opening day 25 man MLB roster. That puts the two only 2 or 3 years difference in terms of MLB service clock, which is all that matters.

However, I've noted that you would keep Bogaerts instead of trading him for J. Upton because of the wide age difference.

You know my offer for Upton. You disagree that it is better than yours. I have said I would trade Bogaerts as part of the deal for Upton, but would prefer to trade Bradley. You can believe your own lies about my positions, but it doesn't make it the truth.

You still never really answered my point. Is over 5 years significant or not?

Is 3 years of Upton service just slightly more than the total years of ML service we will get from Boggy. You are now saying that Boggy will only have 2-3 more years of ML service than Upton. It may be 3-4 more, but the point is, your initial statement did not even hint at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If management thinks Middlebrooks can be a good 3Bman someday, and that Boggy would not be better than Middlebrooks at 3B, then I am all for moving Boggy to 1B. I have mentioned the idea several times myself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If management thinks Middlebrooks can be a good 3Bman someday, and that Boggy would not be better than Middlebrooks at 3B, then I am all for moving Boggy to 1B. I have mentioned the idea several times myself.

Thats my stance moon, we need to start making decisions that improve our future and that includes placing the best talent at all positions.  I'm a little tired of "short term" or less than well thought out solutions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

How many 6-3 SSs are or have been above average fielders?

While moving a player might not "take much time", moving him to 3B (his most likely best slot), would also involve moving Middlebrooks to 1B.

While I do think moving him now is the best idea, it's not urgent. I'm OK with waiting a year, but I do think the move should come sooner rather than later. With Iggy at SS in AAA needing FT play, and Boggy knocking on the AAA door, something may have to give this summer, unless Drew gets hurt and everyone moves up a notch.

Still going on about batting averages?  Do you not understand that OBP is a far more relevant measure, or are you just cherry picking to try to make your case better?

This is a thread about Shortstops - specifically Boagerts.  If you want to argue batting average take it to another thread doofus.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

Went to  a game in portland last season after a trip to the allagash brewery.  He looked fine at shortstop to me.  I dont recall his bating line for the game, as I said it was after a brewery tour.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Gentlemen and Ladies,

The issue isn't whether Boggy can play SS at 6-3, but if he's allowed in the MLB without facial hair.  It is a concern of his as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

This is a thread about Shortstops - specifically Boagerts.  If you want to argue batting average take it to another thread doofus.

You keep using (single season) batting averages to compare players, in this case shortstop Drew's 2012 BA to shortstop Iggy's presumed 2013 BA.  Don't you realise how absurd you are? 

Sections
Shortcuts