What ia the fascination with maple bats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

What ia the fascination with maple bats?

There is absolutely no proof the ball goes further than an Ash bat!

Joba Chamberlin was hit with one, and now another broken bat tonight.

Maple is a weak wood. Take it from a carpenter that works with it, they do nothing but break.

MLB cannot aprove maple bats with a white dot, they must ban them.

Maple is a little bit stronger than Balsa Wood!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: What ia the fascination with maple bats?

I have wondered for a long time now as to why so many bats break. I may be wrong, but one of the things my little league coach stressed was to hold the bat with the label facing you when you hit. With the label facing you, the contact area where the ball and bat meet would be against the grain. If the label is facing the ball then the contact will be with the grain of the wood and more likely to break. Every once in a while I see a batter looking at the label and holding the bat so the label is up facing the batter. Any one else taught to hold the label up and facing you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

I have wondered for a long time now as to why so many bats break. I may be wrong, but one of the things my little league coach stressed was to hold the bat with the label facing you when you hit. With the label facing you, the contact area where the ball and bat meet would be against the grain. If the label is facing the ball then the contact will be with the grain of the wood and more likely to break. Every once in a while I see a batter looking at the label and holding the bat so the label is up facing the batter. Any one else taught to hold the label up and facing you?

I too was always told the bat was the weakest at the label.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I was taught to hit that way, too, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a load of @#$@$@!

Bats don't shear apart between the grain.  The splinter at the handle, and this is a function of velocity, force and moment arm. 

The maple bat idea was horrible.  I have no idea why the league is allowing it, probably more related to price and availability than anything else.  They are especially dangerous when they splinter and fly off into the crowd, and many bad, bad things have happened as a result...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I was taught to hit that way, too, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a load of @#$@$@!

Bats don't shear apart between the grain.  The splinter at the handle, and this is a function of velocity, force and moment arm. 

The maple bat idea was horrible.  I have no idea why the league is allowing it, probably more related to price and availability than anything else.  They are especially dangerous when they splinter and fly off into the crowd, and many bad, bad things have happened as a result...

Am I understanding you to say that bats aren't more likely to break or split with the grain as opposed to against the grain? Are you saying that that's a load of @#$@$@! ??
    Really??  Interesting.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I got no numbers, but it seems like they are breaking at an alarming rate.  Eventually a catcher is going to get a piece in their eyes.  I'm surprised they don't shields.  I think I'd prefer a solid piece of plastic than the grill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Am I understanding you to say that bats aren't more likely to break or split with the grain as opposed to against the grain? Are you saying that that's a load of @#$@$@! ??
    Really??  Interesting.......

They break at the neck down on the handle  Have you ever sheared apart the barrel of a bat?

The handle of the bat is thinner than the barrel regardless of which way the grain is facing.  A bat will always break here because the cross sectional area is so small compared to the rest of the bat, and this therefore leads to greater stresses in the bat. (The formula for stress is Force / Area.  So at the smallest area, the same force creates maximum stress.)

The real reason you should hit with the label out is to see the ball hit it.  (Always watch the ball hit the bat.)   The label is also what is always located near the "center of mass" on a bat, and therefore is the point where maximum momentum will be transferred.

Any coach who taught you to hit that way so as not to break your bat was spreading a myth.  Much like corking bats to hit the ball further, its based on utter nonsense...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Aluminum bats anyone? Of course wood is stronger through the grain, not against it

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I remember hearing that Maple was a harder wood than Northern White Ash and that the grain in Maple was tighter than the grain in the Ash models. I have no way of proving  any of this, just hearsay from back in the day. Maybe the guys swinging the Maple bats have heard or believe this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its all about $$$...Ash bats cost more.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Actually we just ordered my son 2 ash bats for a wood bat tourney. They were 2 dollars less than maple bats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Actually we just ordered my son 2 ash bats for a wood bat tourney. They were 2 dollars less than maple bats.

I stand corrected. I found this helpful article..

http://www.justbats.com/blog/index.php/227/maple-vs-ash/

Sections
Shortcuts