What if Billy Bean had said Yes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

What if Billy Bean had said Yes?

I look at some of the small market teams that do well with much less and wonder what the Sox would look like now if they were being handled by someone who worked for years with less, not necessarly Bean either but not someone who knows that money can be wasted running the Sox as opposed to Oakland or Tampa Bay etc. 

I've watched MoneyBall a couple of times including just tonight so this ran through my head and thought I'd put it out there. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: What if Billy Bean had said Yes?

After watching Minaya and Hart go from successful small market organizations blow their minds in New York and Texas I'd have to think Beane would have been all too happy to spend spend spend. Maybe different choices but Beane still would have spent like a mad man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to What if Billy Bean had said Yes?:
    [QUOTE]I look at some of the small market teams that do well with much less and wonder what the Sox would look like now if they were being handled by someone who worked for years with less, not necessarly Bean either but not someone who knows that money can be wasted running the Sox as opposed to Oakland or Tampa Bay etc.  I've watched MoneyBall a couple of times including just tonight so this ran through my head and thought I'd put it out there. 
    Posted by stillgridlocked[/QUOTE]

You do recall that the Red Sox won two World Series during that time, the first one breaking an 86 year drought and alleged "curse," don't you?  Maybe you should run that one through your head also.  Perhaps you suffer from some form of amnesia.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Would if the Red Sox had signed Mussina instead of Manny which was Duquette's preference.

In the end, given the success the Sox had from 2003-2008...Which included two world series tittles and 4 ALCS apperances losing two of them in a game seven. I find it difficult to even ponder the question of what if Beane had in fact signed his deal with the Sox. Instead of using the Red Sox as leverage to get a sweeter deal from the A's...A deal that included part ownership of the team. I doubt that Henry during that 6 year run. Where the team also qualified for the playoffs in 5 of the 6 seasons after Beane chose to stay put in Oakland. Has given it much thought...

That said, the current plight of the organziation is such that Epstiens tenure as GM is clouded with the underachieving, oft injured, big money roster he left behind. Lost on many is that the greatest difference between 2002 and today is that the Red Sox farm system is in much better shape than the one left in shambles by the Harrington-Duquette duo. As such Cherington has far more resources at his disposal and my guess is that given the lattitude to re make the team in the next few years. That the Sox will right the ship and return to the perenial playoff contender they should be given the talant and resources they have....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

He probably would have if he put money first as a priority.          Turning down 12MM to run a baseball franchise.......that says a lot about him.                             For him the fun part is operating a small market franchise and  putting together a pitching rich team and then going at the big money teams like the RS, NYY, TR. That's the fun part for him. Right now he's having so much fun he can hardly sleep at night. Taking 3 of 3 from the RS and 4 of 4 from the NYY, two big market teams.....WOW. The two teams in front of the A's in the ALW are in trouble. LAA needs an innings eater reliever, preferably a LH'er and Texas just lost Colby Lewis for the rest of the season  from their starting rotation. They might be in the market for starting pitching. The A's right now have purchased GRAYHOUND BUS tickets, 1 Way, for Balfour, Colon and maybe Norberto. The price won't be too bad because they have Straley and Peacock at AA and AAA deemed ready now but don't have room for them. The only tough choice they might have is if they deal Colon who do they move into the starting rotation? They love COOK and DOOLITTLE in the BP. Heady days in Oakland right now. Not only are they in the Wildcard race they're in the Division race as well. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I realize that but the post was more about a $175 million dollar payroll producing a last place team and about Theo.  I could have gone into more detail but I thought I'd let at least one jerk show they can't read between the lines.

In Response to Re: What if Billy Bean had said Yes?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What if Billy Bean had said Yes? : You do recall that the Red Sox won two World Series during that time, the first one breaking an 86 year drought and alleged "curse," don't you?  Maybe you should run that one through your head also.  Perhaps you suffer from some form of amnesia.  
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

No Crawford or Lackey that is for damn sure, he would have let Beckett walk and maybe just maybe he would still have signed Gonzo. But the only reason moneyball somewhat works is because of the division and city they are in, plain and simple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Billy Beane is the most overrated GM in sports.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Not only is this an accurate statement, but MoneyBall never, never, never addressed one of the reasons why the A's turned it around and started to dominate the AL that season....P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G...Mulder, Zito were the best pair of 1-2s in baseball that year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They need to get Billy Beane into this organization. Young Ben inherited a mess but he has already made three bad deals this year and he is in way over his. I do not know what Lucky Larry Luchinno does in this organization but I am sure everything is run through him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

It would have changed a lot.  For one, Youk would have been the compensation going back to Oakland.  I don't know if Billy would have had a better track record than Theo.  2 WS in a four year span is pretty impressive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

[QUOTE]Billy Beane is the most overrated GM in sports.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree.  Billy changed the way major league baseball values players.  It worked for him in Oakland for a while but it's harder for him now because big market teams are doing it his way now.  And they have the money to re-sign players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We will never know the answer to that question.  Beane is well recognized as one of the best. To deny that is to deny the obvious. But would he have won in Boston ?  Who knows.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Um, every player of value developed by the farm, would be traded, rather than re-signed.
    He'd run the team like the owner in Major League.
    Even though Theo stunk at the end of his regime, at least the Sox got two Worlds Series wins.
    I was always happy that Beane never took the job, movie, book or not.
    As Dave wrote, most overrated GM in sports. He's never won anything!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

[QUOTE]Um, every player of value developed by the farm, would be traded, rather than re-signed. He'd run the team like the owner in Major League. Even though Theo stunk at the end of his regime, at least the Sox got two Worlds Series wins. I was always happy that Beane never took the job, movie, book or not. As Dave wrote, most overrated GM in sports. He's never won anything!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't have had to trade them because he'd have the money in Boston to re-sign them.  He trades so much in Oakland because he KNOWS he doesn't have the money to re-sign them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to What if Billy Bean had said Yes?:
    [QUOTE]I look at some of the small market teams that do well with much less and wonder what the Sox would look like now if they were being handled by someone who worked for years with less, not necessarly Bean either but not someone who knows that money can be wasted running the Sox as opposed to Oakland or Tampa Bay etc.  I've watched MoneyBall a couple of times including just tonight so this ran through my head and thought I'd put it out there. 

If the Sox had worked with less with someone like Beane, they might have looked like the A's have looked over the past several seasons - lousy to mediocre. Instead of complaining about overpaid and underperforming players, the fans would be complaining about cheapskate owners.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]I realize that but the post was more about a $175 million dollar payroll producing a last place team and about Theo.  I could have gone into more detail but I thought I'd let at least one jerk show they can't read between the lines. In Response to Re: What if Billy Bean had said Yes? :

Yes, and this jerk who can't read between the lines acknowledges how great a run the Red Sox had during the "What could have been with Billy Beane" years, while you imagine what might have happened if Billy Beane had run the team.  

For the record, here is Billy Beane's track record of late:

20077686.4693rd in AL West 
    20087586.4663rd in AL West 
    20097587.4634th in AL West 
    20108181.5002nd in AL West 
    20117488.4573rd in AL West
    Oh, what a romantic version of what could have been!   

I look at some of the small market teams that do well with much less and wonder what the Sox would look like now if they were being handled by someone who worked for years with less, not necessarly Bean either but not someone who knows that money can be wasted running the Sox as opposed to Oakland or Tampa Bay etc. 

I've watched MoneyBall a couple of times including just tonight so this ran through my head and thought I'd put it out there.

By the way, did you happen to notice that Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, and Tim Hudson are not even alluded to in the Moneyball movie?  Talk about not reading between the lines.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

He has a $53 million dollar payroll this year and is 7 games over .500, 8 games ahead of the $175 million dollar payroll Sox.

Theo added the right players to the mix that Duquette had assembled and the Sox had a great run spoiling the fans I guess. I'm looking at the mess that Theo left and it'll be several years before this gets fixed. 

I don't know where the near hate in these responses is coming from the question was whimsical in nature.  Lighten up a bit.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if Billy Bean had said Yes? : Yes, and this jerk who can't read between the lines acknowledges how great a run the Red Sox had during the "What could have been with Billy Beane" years, while you imagine what might have happened if Billy Beane had run the team.    For the record, here is Billy Beane's track record of late: 2007 76 86 .469 3rd in AL West   2008 75 86 .466 3rd in AL West   2009 75 87 .463 4th in AL West   2010 81 81 .500 2nd in AL West   2011 74 88 .457 3rd in AL West Oh, what a romantic version of what could have been!    I look at some of the small market teams that do well with much less and wonder what the Sox would look like now if they were being handled by someone who worked for years with less, not necessarly Bean either but not someone who knows that money can be wasted running the Sox as opposed to Oakland or Tampa Bay etc.    I've watched MoneyBall a couple of times including just tonight so this ran through my head and thought I'd put it out there. By the way, did you happen to notice that Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, and Tim Hudson are not even alluded to in the Moneyball movie?  Talk about not reading between the lines.    
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Probably the best answer!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]No Crawford or Lackey that is for damn sure, he would have let Beckett walk and maybe just maybe he would still have signed Gonzo. But the only reason moneyball somewhat works is because of the division and city they are in, plain and simple.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]
    The real reason Money Ball worked was Zito, Mulder, Hudson. They were easily 3 of the 5 best pitchers in the AL at the time.

Sections
Shortcuts