1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

what if PAPI did that bat flip with NOLAN RYAN out there?

love papi but if he werent on my team would absolutely have drilled him after he did that pose and attention-seeking bat flip all that almost knocked the 3rd base coach down. as a sox fan, i love it, the man has style but... cant believe he hasnt been forced to know better. guess it depends who he's doing it to and where. guess that s part of the yanks' softie issue of today. clemens would have buzzed him after that or the next time. nolan would have been barking at him as he rounded second in slow motion basing in all his glory!. thats a guy way tooo comfortablein the road team's house!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: what if PAPI did that bat flip with NOLAN RYAN out there?

Certain guys nowadays have "earned it", so to speak. There are guys who are top stars in the league that we know arent trying to show anyone up. Also just your everyday type player like Cody Ross, who did it last year, and we know Ross isnt that kind of guy. Neither is papi.

It really depends on the player and the situation. I could care less about the Nolan Ryan thing. Baseball was different back then. That was then, this is now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

It's incredibly stupid that people find offense to the manner in which a batter drops his bat.  Is it showboating?  Sure it is.  But do we not have the same stuff when a football player gets a touchdown and spikes the ball?  When an NBA star makes a key shot and celebrates?   It's in every sport.   So chill out and deal with it rather than getting all hot and bothered about something that doesn't matter.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In the Amrican league, what difference does it make?  The pitcher who throws the 'get even' pitch, or any pitcher thereafter,  will never have to face retribution by batting up.

It's one big difference between the leagues that, in my opinion, tarnishes the basic fabric of the game...the DH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Certain guys nowadays have "earned it", so to speak. There are guys who are top stars in the league that we know arent trying to show anyone up. Also just your everyday type player like Cody Ross, who did it last year, and we know Ross isnt that kind of guy. Neither is papi.

It really depends on the player and the situation. I could care less about the Nolan Ryan thing. Baseball was different back then. That was then, this is now.

Yup.

You never used to see overly demonstrative pitchers, after a big K either.

Times change...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, whats the point?  Ryan drills him the next time up.  Papi has taken a few in the ribs.  I am sure, minus a glare and some colorful post-game comments, it wouldn't cause him to miss a meal.         Pollyanna Pinkhat Left/Soc/Rad/Moonbat 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I think Papi can take him.  After all, Nolan has to be at least 65 nowLaughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Absolutely nuthin! ryan was 5-11 185. Papi is 6-4 235. do the math. besides, do you honestly think that papi is the only hitter to flip his bat after launching a rocket to mars?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

At least Papi's not running the bases backwards ala Jimmy Piersall after a dinger.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good topic.  Not sure Ryan would have drilled Papi.

The other night the Orioles starter gave up three straight dingers to Detroit hitters, making the score 4-1 Detroit.  The very next pitch, the first pitch to the new batter, went right at his head.  Luckily, the hitter turned away and the ball hit him high up on the shoulder.  The umpire immediately threw the pitcher out of the game.

Then the Orioles manager and the Orioles pitcher went after the homeplate umpire claiming the call was unfair, their rationale being that the the pitcher had had control problems earlier in the game and that the pitch, a slider, was not intended to hit the batter.  The announcers agreed with the Orioles manager.  And next day the Baltimore Sun agreed with the Orioles manager.  Of course. 

Me, I agree with the ump.  When the next pitch after three straight dingers goes at a batter's head, the pitcher has to leave if only because he is endangering other players, intentionally or not. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If it was Roger Clemens, then he would have taken the bat and throw it at Ortiz.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

agreeing with much of the posts.  times are different.

70's style pitching has gone the way of the dodo.  it is no longer the pitchers plate, it is the batter's plate.  blame the ownership for high priced salaries.  blame the union for free agency (you may very well be teammates tomorrow with the very same batter that showed you up today), blame the fans for loving HR's more than K's, blame the commish for selling HR hitters.

but please do not blame papi for flipping his bat.

anyways, the yankees never threw at red sox hitters.  not even clemens.  during those early 2000's wars i think it was like a 7-1 rate on HBP.  pedro used to drill folk at will and yanks would do not a dam|\| thing.

people used to whine all day long on the FAN that Manny & Papi owned the yanks and never got plunked.  and they never did.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

anyways, the yankees never threw at red sox hitters.  not even clemens.  during those early 2000's wars i think it was like a 7-1 rate on HBP.  pedro used to drill folk at will and yanks would do not a dam|\| thing.

people used to whine all day long on the FAN that Manny & Papi owned the yanks and never got plunked.  and they never did.....

7-1. Really?  Because the stats don't bear that assertion out.  Per Baseball Reference, from 1998-2007, Boston pitchers hit Yankee hitters 95 times, Yankee pitchers hit Red Sox hitters 67 times. (Regular season games only). 

Don't like those years?  From 2000-2007 it was 87-56.  From 2002-2005, it was 53-33.  The worst single year was 2002, when it was 14-5.  In 2004, both teams got really nasty, 18-15. 

Maybe it was 7-1 over a short span of games, but over the course of several seasons, it looks like it was at worst 3:2 or 5:3 ratios.  Somebody was getting  hit in Red Sox uniforms those years. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

7-1. Really? 

sure felt like it.  you would have thought 20-1 from the cry babies calling mike & dog back then.

how many ortiz or manny?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

7-1. Really? 

sure felt like it.  you would have thought 20-1 from the cry babies calling mike & dog back then.

how many ortiz or manny?

[/QUOTE]

I knew there weren't too many, it was less than I thought.  From 2003 (when he joined the Sox) to 2007, Ortiz was never hit, while Ramirez was plunked 3 times. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Those years you are talking about include Wakefield....I remember Giambi always throwing that big elbow guard out there to hit Wakes knuckleball so he could get on base...in my opinion the umpire should have been calling those strikes since the batter was trying to hit the all with his pad. I bet if you removed the Wakefield HBP's....the numbers would be pretty even.