What if shifts were not allowed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

What if shifts were not allowed?

I know this may sound crazy, but I was struck by how succesful Papi and Cano have been even with radical shifts against them.  It led me to think what if the radical shifts weren't allowed? 

Papi has finally learned in the last few years to hit to the opposite field and it has added 20 or 30 points to his BA.   Cano keeps on hitting, incredibly well, in spite of the picket fence set up against him.

In my mind, the shift finally forced Papi to be more than a pull hitter.  But how many times have balls been shot right into the extra player? 

I know managers have always shaded fielders to places where scouting reports indicate there is an advantage, but "the shift" we see is really hard on some people.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: What if shifts were not allowed?

SY, check your PMs

and Papi has given a ton of credit to A-gon for his success against the shift. He said that A-gon really helped him tailor his swing and his apporach which has resulted in him going the other way more and he's hitting lefties better.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings yaz

but I was struck by how successful Papi and Cano have been even with radical shifts against them.

I'm thinking it's more like ''had some success ''

but not quite up to being  ''successful''

if they were successful

would so many teams still shift on them

isn't giving up the single to left

rather than having them drive the ball  the goal  part of the motive of the shift

one could argue when they go to LF they are giving in to the shift

It led me to think what if the radical shifts weren't allowed?

not sure where you're going there my friend

but I'm thinking cano & ortiz R  right there with  you

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I hate the shift, and think it should be outlawed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AGon did help Ortiz, but Ted Williams might have given different advice because he did not change his swing to accommodate the Boudreau shift.  And he hit .388 when he was like 38 years old andstill a pull hitter.  His explanation was he liked his swing the way it was and a hard hit ball would usually fine a hole.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm not a fan of the shift.  I think it's more of a "Hey look at how smart a manager I am" thing, and God they look extra dumb when it doesn't work.  But they have the right to position their players how they like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I like the shifts.  The more inbalanced, the better.  It adds to the baseball mind game and makes the game more interesting.

Viva el cambio!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

I know this may sound crazy, but I was struck by how succesful Papi and Cano have been even with radical shifts against them.  It led me to think what if the radical shifts weren't allowed? 

Papi has finally learned in the last few years to hit to the opposite field and it has added 20 or 30 points to his BA.   Cano keeps on hitting, incredibly well, in spite of the picket fence set up against him.

In my mind, the shift finally forced Papi to be more than a pull hitter.  But how many times have balls been shot right into the extra player? 

I know managers have always shaded fielders to places where scouting reports indicate there is an advantage, but "the shift" we see is really hard on some people.

When I first glanced at the board, I mis-read the title of your post as:

"What if sh*ts were not allowed."  My immediate thought was, oh-boy this is going to get hairy and which forum members qualified.

It wasn't until I clicked on that I realized my error. 

Actually, I'm quite relieved, otherwise I might have been concerned that my name appeared on such a list. *=)) rolling on the floor

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

AGon did help Ortiz, but Ted Williams might have given different advice because he did not change his swing to accommodate the Boudreau shift.  And he hit .388 when he was like 38 years old andstill a pull hitter.  His explanation was he liked his swing the way it was and a hard hit ball would usually fine a hole.  

This is actually incorrect, and is just the opposite. According to the TW bio by Leigh Montville, the yr Williams hit 388 he decided, along with his slightly slower bat speed and physical issues, to go as a general rule against the shift. He and others credits this great yr for doing so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Apparently, in baseball, you have guys on the field that can be put anywhere. Who knew? I honestly thought everyone playing baseball had to be in a certain position. I guess it's only been that way because the positions make the most sense.

Hey, Yaz, wouldn't it be funny if when they were trying to tell a batter they weren't worried about him hitting the ball, they all just gathered on one part of the field. They could call it defensive disinterest. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

When I first glanced at the board, I mis-read the title of your post as:

"What if sh*ts were not allowed."  My immediate thought was, oh-boy this is going to get hairy and which forum members qualified.

It wasn't until I clicked on that I realized my error. 

Actually, I'm quite relieved, otherwise I might have been concerned that my name appeared on such a list. *=)) rolling on the floor

OMG that was funny Dustcover.   Dadgummit, I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type .... re-type an re-type ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

SY, check your PMs

and Papi has given a ton of credit to A-gon for his success against the shift. He said that A-gon really helped him tailor his swing and his apporach which has resulted in him going the other way more and he's hitting lefties better.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

Okiedokie  :o)  - and thanks, I will check it out!

Yep, I thank you for reminding me of AGon's help.  I know his power was down, but I did love that guy's hitting stroke. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

What if the DH were not allowed?

You'd be in the NL, my friend.  :o)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

What if players were paid by how well they played.

I think the shift should help Ortiz and a lot of hitters, becuase it forces them to go with pitches instead of just trying to pull them.

I can hardly disagree with that "what it" as a yupper. 

And you already have the second on the second!  :o)  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

greetings yaz

but I was struck by how successful Papi and Cano have been even with radical shifts against them.

I'm thinking it's more like ''had some success ''

but not quite up to being  ''successful''

if they were successful

would so many teams still shift on them

isn't giving up the single to left

rather than having them drive the ball  the goal  part of the motive of the shift

one could argue when they go to LF they are giving in to the shift

It led me to think what if the radical shifts weren't allowed?

not sure where you're going there my friend

but I'm thinking cano & ortiz R  right there with  you

Hi Zac, old friend -

You were thinking ...

That in and of itself is good.  heh  :o)

And your cogitating may well be more on the mark than mine.  Or rather, helps explain my point all the more.

I think ... there we go again ... you may be right on your second assertion. 

But I'm not really going anywhere, not building a cause or anything.  It just came to mind ... even after Cano had a 4 hit night and Papi screamed one off the Monstah.        

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Life with Ted as a fan surely must have been spectacular.  Life WITH Ted must have been heck - there was only one way, his way.  If he wasn't so good at what he did - even his fishing tips, maybe we could argue. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm not a fan of the shift.  I think it's more of a "Hey look at how smart a manager I am" thing, and God they look extra dumb when it doesn't work.  But they have the right to position their players how they like.

:o)  But they are viewed as geniuses .... like TBs Maddon ... when they impose it.   I don't know if I'll ever get used to someone getting thrown out at 1B from RF ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

I like the shifts.  The more inbalanced, the better.  It adds to the baseball mind game and makes the game more interesting.

Viva el cambio!

Howdy friend!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

This is actually incorrect, and is just the opposite. According to the TW bio by Leigh Montville, the yr Williams hit 388 he decided, along with his slightly slower bat speed and physical issues, to go as a general rule against the shift. He and others credits this great yr for doing so.

Hi Steve - thanks for the tidbit! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

Apparently, in baseball, you have guys on the field that can be put anywhere. Who knew? I honestly thought everyone playing baseball had to be in a certain position. I guess it's only been that way because the positions make the most sense.

Hey, Yaz, wouldn't it be funny if when they were trying to tell a batter they weren't worried about him hitting the ball, they all just gathered on one part of the field. They could call it defensive disinterest. :)

THAT is funny.  The Mark Belanger shift .... or the Carl Crawford shift (while he was here, anyway)  :O)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I found it interesting this past week when playing Balt. That an error was made while in the shift. Eck didn't think it was an error because it was a hit in shalllow RF. I have a habit of shouting "error" when I think it's an error... I totally thought it was one. To me, they had the shift on to avoid exactly a hit that way. Plus I didn't think a Shift could negate an error ( hit right to the guy! ). Anyways,  it was indeed ruled an error. So take take THAT Eck!   ;) But thinking back on it, it was sort of a tricky ruling, and I came to the conclusion that it was still indeed an error. One of the most egregious errors I've ever seen, actually. LOL 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Sections
Shortcuts