What if....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

What if....

What if this is the comeback year of the old Michael Bowden? What happened to the guy? Why not Tasawa or Doublont off the injury list? Looking at the money available, our 5th starter is here until DiceK returns. Aceves is here Our guys probably KNOW this is their last chance. I believe we will be fine this year on pitching. Better than las year. We have Buchholz back We are just too anxious for ST to begin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: What if....

Nice series of thoughts ...

It would be nice to see Bowden comeback/make it.  The same of all others you mention.  It's too bad when promise comes up empty ... especially for the prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They had to re-design Bowden's throwing motion so that his pitches weren't coming into the batters flat,he had a very good year last year and spent the last month in the pen. It's the Sox policy to bring in as many arms as possible for ST look sees. So signings of guys like Cook,Silva and Germano are depth sigings and who knows if one or more of these guys might blow everyone's mind during the spring and actually steal a spot in the rotation or pen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think there is a very good chance that one or two or even 3 of these guys help us in 2012:
    Morales
    Tazawa
    Doubront
    Bowden
    Atchison 
    (all but Taz are out of options)

But, I'd rather not leave it to chance. We could use another quality pitcher, and thereby lessen the need for more than 1 of these guys to do well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to What if....:
    [QUOTE]What if this is the comeback year of the old Michael Bowden? What happened to the guy? Why not Tasawa or Doublont off the injury list? Looking at the money available, our 5th starter is here until DiceK returns. Aceves is here Our guys probably KNOW this is their last chance. I believe we will be fine this year on pitching. Better than las year. We have Buchholz back We are just too anxious for ST to begin.
    Posted by rvicini[/QUOTE]GREAT POST......  I THINK THAT DOUBRONT IS MLB READY, I LIKE HIS STUFF........   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

I personally think that our current depth is better than signing a 4.8+ ERA 5th starter. Remember last year we had injuries all over our own SP: Buchholz, Lackey, DiceK, Doubront, and Tazawa. Our Miller reclamation project didn't work out. And yet we were only one game away from the playoffs. This year we could have Aceves or/and Bard or/and Silva or/and Cook or/and Alex Wilson snd/or who-knows Andrew Miller. . . And we have Wake. Subtracting Lackey and adding Buchholz we could get the 6+ victories we need. Nor Oswald or any of the other starters offer more than our depth. I can't wait till ST!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to What if....:
    [QUOTE]What if this is the comeback year of the old Michael Bowden? What happened to the guy? Why not Tasawa or Doublont off the injury list? Looking at the money available, our 5th starter is here until DiceK returns. Aceves is here Our guys probably KNOW this is their last chance. I believe we will be fine this year on pitching. Better than las year. We have Buchholz back We are just too anxious for ST to begin.
    Posted by rvicini[/QUOTE]

If that above paragraph is read with a nervous, anxious tone, it sounds like it's coming from one of those quasi-omniscient horror movie characters. You know the ones who provide the necessary backstory before right becoming fodder....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Re: What if....:
    [QUOTE]I think there is a very good chance that one or two or even 3 of these guys help us in 2012: Morales Tazawa Doubront Bowden Atchison  (all but Taz are out of options) But, I'd rather not leave it to chance. We could use another quality pitcher, and thereby lessen the need for more than 1 of these guys to do well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Of the guys you mention all have very good chance of making RS staff. But all will be fighting for bullpen spot. Only Doubront will get fair shot at rotation but would need to show up in great shape [something he didn't do last yr] & pitch lights out in ST. But best point you made is out of options, which will help there cause to make staff, BC won't want to expose to waivers or could see some ST trades. Atchinson because of age will probably get exposed and start yr in AAA.
    Have to believe RS will add more depth to battle for rotation, w/ Maholm gone either RS are going to wait out Kuroda/Oswalt and see if they can get on the cheap for 1yr. Other posiblities:
    R.Ohlendorf- terrible last yr; but not bad in 09/10 for terrible Buc's
    J.Saunders- would probably give up 30+hrs, but would give innings
    R.Harden- could be had cheap 1.5mil last yr; but at best get 1/2 yr; stuff still good as 9+/K/9 last yr
    B.Colon- been there done that, no thanks
    V.Padilla- been hurt alot, but throwing 95 in Nicaragua according to reports, if lucky might get 130 ip.
    Garland/Young- both coming off shoulder injuries, stay away.
    A.Galarraga- terrible yr last yr, but not long ago was looked at as a good young starter. might be worth a shot? just keep J.Joyce away from him.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

[QUOTE]Tazawa intrigues me and Mr. Peter Gammons also stated today in his chat that he might be a real sleeper for this season...stay tuned
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]  Peter Gammons is a verbal sleeper or should be.  He rarely knows what he's talking about when it comes to predicting baseball and is one of the most blatantly biased sports commentators and reporters in the country.  You can always take his predictions with at least a tablespoon of salt or sugar.  He made a living getting insider information by pledging to see no, hear no evil and speak no evil even when he was acutely aware of its existence.  He's a literary coward and fraud whose observations (he's always "fascinated" by the obvious) are generally shallow, emotional and ultimately irrelevant.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

If that above paragraph is read with a nervous, anxious tone, it sounds like it's coming from one of those quasi-omniscient horror movie characters. You know the ones who provide the necessary backstory before right becoming fodder.... Really, I don't get it. My point is that we have the guys and at the end we had 4 or 5 guys down in our rotation depth. 3 of our starters were down or injured and our depthas well. We will do great next year.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if.... :   Peter Gammons is a verbal sleeper or should be.  He rarely knows what he's talking about when it comes to predicting baseball and is one of the most blatantly biased sports commentators and reporters in the country.  You can always take his predictions with at least a tablespoon of salt or sugar.  He made a living getting insider information by pledging to see no, hear no evil and speak no evil even when he was acutely aware of its existence.  He's a literary coward and fraud whose observations (he's always "fascinated" by the obvious) are generally shallow, emotional and ultimately irrelevant.   
    Posted by samclemens[/QUOTE]

Mark Twain, you should have become an author. You have such a way with words.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What if.... :   Peter Gammons is a verbal sleeper or should be.  He rarely knows what he's talking about when it comes to predicting baseball and is one of the most blatantly biased sports commentators and reporters in the country.  You can always take his predictions with at least a tablespoon of salt or sugar.  He made a living getting insider information by pledging to see no, hear no evil and speak no evil even when he was acutely aware of its existence.  He's a literary coward and fraud whose observations (he's always "fascinated" by the obvious) are generally shallow, emotional and ultimately irrelevant.   

It's his HORRIBLE taste in music that offends me.  "Cool Music"?  It's boring, provincial rubbish.....although having the Remains play is great, finally something worth listening to.....disgraceful that they are so forgotten, much better than the Standells, and I like the Standells.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

It looks scary after Kuroda & Pineda.
    However, do we have enough to get our 6 extra wins? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "What if....": [QUOTE]What if this is the comeback year of the old Michael Bowden? What happened to the guy? Why not Tasawa or Doublont off the injury list? Looking at the money available, our 5th starter is here until DiceK returns. Aceves is here Our guys probably KNOW this is their last chance. I believe we will be fine this year on pitching. Better than las year. We have Buchholz back We are just too anxious for ST to begin. Posted by rvicini[/QUOTE] What is Bowden coming back from? I understand Tazawa is coming back from TJ surgery, but at their best, weren't they AAAA pitchers? 13 or 14 pitchers on a 10 man staff? I don't think they can perform in the major leagues throwing 89-91 without plus secondary pitches, which neither have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

Tazawa was young and breaking up, then got a TJ surgery.
    Bowden was hand in hand with Buchholz and then faded.
    We will see.
    There is a game going on at FO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

b

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You've probably missed this, but-

1-A lot of writers and announcers are homers.

2-None of them are in the know.  Do you think the NYY writers have bugs in Cashman's office learning things that no one knows.  Here's the formula-They get rumors at the whims of management.  They'll get a juicy tidbit if they print a few rumors that are less true.

3-No one cares.  It's a sports team.  People following said sports team want to be entertained.  Spreading rumors about us acquiring an ace entertains us for a while.

4-I found your comments to be shallow and irrelevant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree on Tazawa a lot.  I thought he displayed a live arm last year, and a willingness to challenge hitters.  He had a 19/3 in limited AAA appearances.

Bowden I never really liked, but he did look better last year.  Atchison has looked okay the past two years.

Doubront should be given a chance given he has no options.  I think we need to start trying to get some backend BP help from some of our non-star prospects.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I agree on Tazawa a lot.  I thought he displayed a live arm last year, and a willingness to challenge hitters.  He had a 19/3 in limited AAA appearances. Bowden I never really liked, but he did look better last year.  Atchison has looked okay the past two years. Doubront should be given a chance given he has no options.  I think we need to start trying to get some backend BP help from some of our non-star prospects.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/Red_Sox_Alex_Wilson_01-13-12_RJSKJTP_v2.1702b5b.html