What is Ben thinking....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxfanincleveland. Show bosoxfanincleveland's posts

What is Ben thinking....

Glad to be back after a long hiatus.....
    the question on everybody's mind is what is Ben Cherrington thinking?
    The answer lies in his past. His first job in a front office was here in Cleveland.
    So logic dictates he is running the Red Sox like a small market team. And we all
    see what the results in Cleveland are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Re: What is Ben thinking....

The Indians made "an aggressive" two-year contract offer to Carlos Beltran worth "very close" to the $26MM Beltran received from the Cardinals, a source tells Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Huh?  Cherington has a very small budget to work with this year, as just about everybody who follows baseball knows now.  He's the GM, not the owner. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

trade some prospects.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

When Cherington joined the Indians front office in 1998, Cleveland was amidst a run of five straight AL Central titles. That run was fueled by an extraordinary young core of players on the field and a group that could be described in similar terms in the front office.

The 1998 Indians featured seven current or future general managers. In addition to Cherington (assuming one counts his tenure as co-GM of the Sox), GM John Hart had a staff that included Mark Shapiro (now Indians president after a decade as GM), Dan O’Dowd (Rockies GM), Huntington, Byrnes (who went on to become Diamondbacks GM) and Paul DePodesta (former Dodgers GM).

That front office, as much as any, was responsible for changing the landscape of baseball operations. The profile of the traditional “baseball man” who had played and/or scouted before graduating to a front office was being challenged, with the Indians unleashing a wave of liberal arts-educated twentysomethings who were ready to rethink traditional forms of talent evaluation.

Cherington fit right into the mold. He was named video advance scout -- a role previously held by Byrnes and DePodesta -- in which he was solely responsible for breakdown of the opposing teams whom the Indians were preparing to face.

The hours were long, the work all-consuming but immensely rewarding.

“I still go back to that time as a pretty important and fundamental experience for me in my career. … In some ways it was the Moneyball theory looked at through a different lens,” Cherington recalled this spring (in this podcast). “It was finding undervalued assets, finding people who could make an impact on the team through good decisions, and finding them when they were young, finding them when they would work incredibly cheap, when they would work incredibly long hours, and putting them in an environment where they could learn enough about the game and where they would interact with the staff and scouts to eventually be in decision-making positions and impact the team.

“The year that I was there, a 100-hour week was a light week,” he added. “[The hourly pay] was embarrassing. I lucked out, because at the time, I had a friend from college who’d gotten a job from Nestle, which was based in Solon, Ohio, just outside of Cleveland.

“They used to own Stouffer’s and a bunch of other food brands. And he would give me supermarket coupons where you could literally go into the supermarket, and it wasn’t a discount, it was free. You could grab a Stouffer’s mac and cheese and it was free. So I would go to the supermarket once a week, haul out 50 boxes of Stouffer’s frozen foods, and that’s what I lived on for the summer. That, and I paid rent, and that was my life.”

Just as Byrnes and DePodesta had done before him, Cherington made a strong impression with his work. Though he was a one-man department in his video advance role, he connected to other parts of the Indians front office, producing strong work at the same time that he tried to absorb the rich opportunity that existed in the Cleveland front office.

“To see Ben interact first hand with a major league staff member, with a player, the general manager, the assistant farm director, the baseball operations assistant, in that role, he showed us very quickly that he had a good feel for what played, why it played and how it played at the major league level in his role as an advance scout,” said Huntington. “He showed an advance baseball feel at a young age, as well as a maturity and an intelligence beyond his years.

“Ben had the ability to impact an organization on both fronts, the subjective front and the objective front. Obviously the intelligence to understand, maybe not perform advance metrics, but to understand advance metrics. And then, having the baseball background -- despite not having played professionally -- to understand evaluation, development and projection. That’s what led him to a variety of roles in Boston.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to What is Ben thinking....:
    Glad to be back after a long hiatus..... the question on everybody's mind is what is Ben Cherrington thinking? The answer lies in his past. His first job in a front office was here in Cleveland. So logic dictates he is running the Red Sox like a small market team. And we all see what the results in Cleveland are.
    Posted by bosoxfanincleveland

That makes no sense.  Most of BB come from somewhere else.  Theo started with SD.  Most of the GMs in BB have a wide multitude of jobs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to What is Ben thinking....:
    Glad to be back after a long hiatus..... the question on everybody's mind is what is Ben Cherrington thinking? The answer lies in his past. His first job in a front office was here in Cleveland. So logic dictates he is running the Red Sox like a small market team. And we all see what the results in Cleveland are.
    Posted by bosoxfanincleveland

I think Cherington has been aclimated to the Boston way of doing things since he's been here for almost 10 years.

I think you are grasping at straws out there in Cleveland bosoxfan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Let's see:

C - Sox have solid RH/LH duo and get better defensively
    1B - MVP caliber player
    2B - MVP caliber player
    SS - Solid, blue-collar player
    3B - MVP caliber player
    LF - All-Star caliber player that could really bounce back
    CF - MVP caliber player
    RF - Two highly touted, talented young guys that will bat bottom order - good D
    DH - Best DH in the game

Rotation - Top 3 combo as good as anyone, in-house options with great upside to potentially fill 4-5 roles, still some good 4-5 options in FA whose price continues to drop as time moves on

Bullpen - two young, talented options for closer plus semi veteran possibility.  Some depth to fill, but again some options in house

Bench - already possess one of the best, most versatile options in baseball, still need to fill a couple spots.

Yes, I can see why Ben should be panicking and trying to sign guys ASAP

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

"Rotation - Top 3 combo as good as anyone, in-house options with great upside to potentially fill 4-5 roles, still some good 4-5 options in FA whose price continues to drop as time moves on"

Top 3 tanked it last year when it counted...in house option is Wake and who?........rooks haven't stepped up....FA's are getting picked up by agressive team.......pitcher's names like Danks and Jackson I see being thrown around are either signing or asking for more $$....we are hoping Aceves or Bard will make the successful jump on first attempt?.....

know there is time.......but everything isn't as rosey as you may want to portray it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from murf7. Show murf7's posts

Iowa - this is right on target. We need a few pieces but Christmas is still happy at the GM's house. We truly do have a room full of presents

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't understand the OP.  Even if we discount the fact that Chrrington has spent the last decade immersed in the Red Sox big market program, when Ben was in Cleveland, the Indians were practically a juggernaut.  

Look, I understand the agita:  The end of the 2011 season was terrible, and we all want to know we won't go down that road again.

Because of this, I am respecting Cherrington's way all the more.

He has not caved to the panic.  He is just doing what is right.

No way he should be wasting resources in this lackluster market.  Partly because of the money (of course, if they really wanted to the Sox could blow through the tax threshold, but why would they want to for mediocre talent), but also partly because getting the "best guy out there" isn't necessarily the best guy for the team.  

The Gio Gonzalez and Carlos Beltran deals just reinforce my good feelings about cherrington.  Beltran isnt worth that money.  And Gio is certainly not worth the quantity and quality of farm studs the Nats had to part with.

Yes, the pressure is on to turn things around, but, as Kenny once told me:  you got to know when to hold 'em.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

He is thinking in keep our right field in the same hole as last year and also with the lose of Papelbon he want to move Bard to the rotation leaving the bullpen without a reliable arm to trus in, so as I said before in one of my post, We going to be worse if he don't move quickly because all the free agents are signing right now and this strategy that he is thinking to do is not going to work because he want to wait until Janury to sign player but he have to realize that the good players are signing in this moment.

Bullpen Needs

Mike Gonzalez he is cheap and is left hander and good one.
    Bailey via trade that gives us versatility with the money because he does not have a large contract he is arbitration elegible.
    There is Joel Zumaya looking for a comeback so why not give him 1 year at 2
    With that you can move ethier Aceves or Bard to the rotation without leaving the pen alone.

Rotation

If we move Bard or Aceves to the roation that leaves the rotation with one slot available and would go with Brandon Webb or Rich Harden because they will cost only 2m at year.

The only thing I do not like is that I read that Cherington is looking for Spillsborgh (Don't know if is like that) to be in right field, come on Ben this guy can hit the ball and if we are looking for a right hander Bat to fill our needs we have to look for a right hander that can hit the ball.

I think that Ben was looking for Beltran, but when he saw the tryout of Yoenis Cespedes he said I would rather go for him because he is younger and it will cost less. SO, if he do so, I will be fine with the movements. Think about it Beltran cost San Luis 13 a year, and if we give Cespedes 6/50 is going to be at 8 million range.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ben Cherington is waiting fo the right player at the right price.

Come April 1 we'll know whether Cherington waited too long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: What is Ben thinking....:
    "Rotation - Top 3 combo as good as anyone, in-house options with great upside to potentially fill 4-5 roles, still some good 4-5 options in FA whose price continues to drop as time moves on" Top 3 tanked it last year when it counted...in house option is Wake and who?........rooks haven't stepped up....FA's are getting picked up by agressive team.......pitcher's names like Danks and Jackson I see being thrown around are either signing or asking for more $$....we are hoping Aceves or Bard will make the successful jump on first attempt?..... know there is time.......but everything isn't as rosey as you may want to portray it.
    Posted by sday4x4

I agree with you that pitching is still a concern for the Red Sox unless they sign some additional help.  Considering the injury to Buchholz last season, we can't be sure that he will be even close to 100% this year.   Back injuries are very uncertain and  we really can't count on Buchholz until spring training begins and he starts to pitch again.   Bard and Aceves may both  become starters and if this happens, the Red Sox need to add bullpen help. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

"Top 3 tanked it last year when it counted"

Beckett wasn't the same after he sprained his ankle.
    Buch had a broken bone in his back
    Lester was Lester (no excuses)
    Lackey's right arm was ready to fall off

I think Beckett/Lester/Buch will be great next year.  After that, they got question marks and a lack of depth.  Dice-K might be ready at the AS break, but don't count on it.

Putting Bard in the rotation fills a spot, but creates a gaping hole in the bullpen.  Aceves is a good #5, but he won't last the full season.

At this point, the rotation is in worse shape than it was a year ago and a lack of depth did them in last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

ben is thinking...i don't want to pay to much for anything....witch i think he is right...as time goes on prices will come down...we might get some good deals.

Sections
Shortcuts