What is David Ortiz worth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What is David Ortiz worth?

Come on you Yankee fans. Banuelos? Betances? Both?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What is David Ortiz worth?

Yankee DHs this year:

.304  21  73  (.379/.518/.888)

6 guys with 40+ PAs at DH with ARod the most at 114 
    (Ibanez & Jete with about 75.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I love Ortiz, but you can't trade one of your top pitching prospects for a DH nearing 40.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: What is David Ortiz worth?:
    [QUOTE]I love Ortiz, but you can't trade one of your top pitching prospects for a DH nearing 40.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Even if it could mean the title?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Tampa would be a better trade partner than the Yanks.  There need for offense is GLARING, and they have a deeper pool of talent of which to deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is David Ortiz worth? : Even if it could mean the title?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Yep.  It's the type of move that could haunt you for a long long time.

The Yankees pitching situation is what's getting a little worrisome for them now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

David Ortiz for James Shields..... though Tampa needs Shield for the play-offs. So much for that idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is David Ortiz worth? : Even if it could mean the title? Posted by carnie[/QUOTE] Id give them both up right now, send big papi to the Bronx!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": Id give them both up right now, send big papi to the Bronx!!
    Posted by Harpua710[/QUOTE]I'd do that deal. And cheer for the big man too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is David Ortiz worth? : I'd do that deal. And cheer for the big man too. Posted by carnie[/QUOTE] He'd be a hit here in the Bronx, he's Dominican and right there he'd have a ton of fans and he'd love that short porch in RF!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Let me be the one to defend Big Papi. Gammons said it as much--13-22 since he was hurt. and 0 HR from the DH spot, and 1 run scored by the team average wise per game....Drewski has said it and I have echoed it--Ortiz importance isn't that he is a DH--it's that he is one of the AL's best sluggers, OBP, OPS guys. It has nothing to do with his position. His health bothers me a bit, but with that said, I'd still offer him 16 mil a year for 2 seasons and an option on a 3rd. I'm not going to say the organization owes him for past performance, but I will say he's done a good job of losing weight and going back to driving the ball to LF---he is not just hitting into the shift blindly anymore. I think he's worth bringing back if it's just to help the Sox offensively, knowing they really don't have much out there on offense. It's a terrible offensive club without him. Hard to watch, to be really honest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": He'd be a hit here in the Bronx, he's Dominican and right there he'd have a ton of fans and he'd love that short porch in RF!
    Posted by Harpua710[/QUOTE]I seriously doubt if Cherington is that smart though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is David Ortiz worth? : I seriously doubt if Cherington is that smart though. Posted by carnie[/QUOTE] I'd love to see it. Anyway, I'm off to bed, you have a good night Carnie.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Problem is that you would insure his exit from the Sox if they tried that contractual typical game....there's no way Ortiz takes a "matching offer." You overpay him and you do it gladly. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to What is David Ortiz worth?:
    [QUOTE]Come on you Yankee fans. Banuelos? Betances? Both?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

He's worth 4 games over .500 and 1.5 games out of the WC race to 6 games under .500 and 8 games out of the WC race.

We miss his bat ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What is David Ortiz worth? : He's worth 4 games over .500 and 1.5 games out of the WC race to 6 games under .500 and 8 games out of the WC race. We miss his bat ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Disagree entirely. I still like you though Laughing We became best buddies because of my anti-Ortiz thread two years ago, lol remember?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tough call.  He is the highest paid DH in MLB, but, if he had stayed healthy, probably would have been worth it. He has far and away the best OPS on the team and the W-L record without him demonstrates how valuable that OPS can be batting third.  If the WAR guys at fangraphs could do a study on him in 2012 they might change their formulas.   I think he got hitting to left from watching and talking to AGon, FWIW.  Whatever.  And he looked like a gazelle on the base paths before the injury. 

But he'll be 37 next year and has missed a bunch of games from a freak achilles injury incurred jogging around the bases.  I mean, there is risk involved in bringing him back, especially for more than one year.  Plus it's possible CC and Ells will come back next year with a vengeance.  Plus Middlebrooks, plus maybe Ciriaco, et al.  Maybe the lineup would be good without the world's greatest DH.

Same exact dilemma after 2011--keep him or what? 

I have to say continue to offer him an above pay grade one year contract, maybe even offer him arbitration again, somewhere between $10M and $15M. No one else in the AL needs Ortiz as much as the Sox do, and no one else will pay him as much.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Let me be the one to defend Big Papi. Gammons said it as much--13-22 since he was hurt. and 0 HR from the DH spot, and 1 run scored by the team average wise per game....Drewski has said it and I have echoed it--Ortiz importance isn't that he is a DH--it's that he is one of the AL's best sluggers, OBP, OPS guys. It has nothing to do with his position. His health bothers me a bit, but with that said, I'd still offer him 16 mil a year for 2 seasons and an option on a 3rd. I'm not going to say the organization owes him for past performance, but I will say he's done a good job of losing weight and going back to driving the ball to LF---he is not just hitting into the shift blindly anymore. I think he's worth bringing back if it's just to help the Sox offensively, knowing they really don't have much out there on offense. It's a terrible offensive club without him. Hard to watch, to be really honest.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, but he's not worth $14M. The Red Sox bid against themselves for him last year. This year, they should offer him something in the $8M range. If he walks, let him do so. He won't get that from any other team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Is the thread title asking about his value in free agency or his trade value? The responses are responding to two different questions. As for a trade right now, why would the Yanks want a six week rental sitting on the bench with a bum achillies heel?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

In response to "Re: What is David Ortiz worth?": [QUOTE]Is the thread title asking about his value in free agency or his trade value? The responses are responding to two different questions. As for a trade right now, why would the Yanks want a six week rental sitting on the bench with a bum achillies heel? Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE] Assuming he can get healthy for the stretch run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Yankee DHs this year: .304  21  73  (.379/.518/.888) 6 guys with 40+ PAs at DH with ARod the most at 114  (Ibanez & Jete with about 75.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think stats like this are misleading. The real eye-opening stat would be the numbers of the player who's playing, regardless of the position, but who wouldn't be playing if they had an Ortiz-like DH.

For example, Jeter's going to play anyway. So the real question is, what did the guy do playing SS because Jeter was DH; or the player playing 3B because A-Rod was DH?

You can say that the combination of DH's are putting up great numbers but what are you replacing the other positions with.

To add:

Next year, let's say the Sox don't re-sign Ortiz and rotate the DH with A-Gon, Middlebrooks, Ross, Crawford, Ellsbury and Lavarnway all DH. OK fine -- their DH numbers might look great. But what are the numbers combined of their replacements. It certainly won't be Ortiz-like. So in the end, the lineup is weaker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like that take, roy. I know the trend has been to make it the reststop position, the place to rotate guys, etc...BUT THIS IS THE BOSTON RED SOX...They've never done it that way and I find Ortiz becoming irreplaceable. If he is not in the 2013 Sox Lineup, that just makes the team all the more weaker. He has proven to become a Paul Molitor type as he gets older---meaning he just keeps hitting. The team has been god-awful to watch since he got hurt. He means way too much to the RED SOX. If 32 million made him happy to stay a Sox without him testing the free agent market or going through what I think would be a very fast negotiation that ended badly--then do it. It may just be the best 32 million dollars overspent EVER. Ortiz has 2 major components to me--he is the last link to success for the Sox--and he is one of the best hitters in the AL...this has nothing to do with the DH position. If Ortiz played LF, he would be considered a Golden God.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I can tell you right now, if you do Ortiz as a business decision, there is no way he comes back. If you go to his agent now and tell him, here's this sweet deal, please stay, we want you---Ortiz would feel wanted and sign on the dotted line. The Sox have almost never done that for anyone--they've done the business mode and it's come out terrible--too much money devoted to CC, Lackey, Renteria, Drew, Dice-K, Beckett (the one guy who got the 50 mil in his pocket without doing much to get an early re-up). Don't treat Ortiz like business. Treat him like you treat BV--give David a Vote of Confidence and give him what amounts to very little cash over 2 seasons. It's money well spent and to me a great PR move as well. And PR is important for the Sox right now--they need to show the fans that they care about the franchise. Right now, all they care about is showing BV they won't throw him under a bus and cater to BV's needs/wants to show the Players they mean "business."

Sections
Shortcuts