What is Ells actually worth in a Trade today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What is Ells actually worth in a Trade today?

I would first make an offer and present it to Boras for $160 M--8 years.
    I would call Boras to see if that works. If not I would tell Boras we are exploring options and suggest he tell his client.

1. Is he worth Trumbo, Santana and Walden from the Angels?
    2. Is he worth Ethier, a starting pitcher and a prospect from the Dodgers?
    3. Is he worth Cain and a position player and a prospect from the Giants?

What might the Rangers, Phillies, Braves, Cards, Cubs, Nationals, Marlins and any other contender offer?

In a week the offers would be in.

I'm just kind of curious what you think his worth is after winning the Silver Slugger, Gold Glove, 2 nd in MVP voting. 

I would not think his stock could ever be higher than it is today.

It's always best to deal from a position of strength--today we have the strength.

You know Boras will want at least Fielder Money--about $200 M.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: What is Ells actually worth in a Trade today?

I have another question.  Who plays CF if you actually do trade Ellsbury??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Kalish--he played pretty well in 2010. This is a what if thread. If the Sox ever let him go --they will have a replacement in mind. Good question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How many years on that offer of 160 million? Telling Boras that you are exploring other options will not scare him at all.

Considering that Boras will have Els test the F.A. market as soon as he can, you will not be able to get as much as you would think for him right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

A lot is going to depend on what happens this year.  If he repeats last year (or close to it), then he will able to get an extreme contract.  If he slides backwards, then it will lower his value considerably, showing that last year was a fluke (and they should be able to get a better deal to resign him).   That's probably why the Sox are waiting. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

His trade value is at it's peak right now.  I am not sure what it is, but it can't get any higher.  So unless the Sox can sign him, yeah I'd look to trade him and get whatever they can now.  Maybe a starting pitcher and a CFer...not sure they'd get that much, but I'd at least be looking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

IF and only IF Ells were to be traded....

I would first ask Phillis for Cole Hamels for Ells straight up.  Hamels is arb eligible next season and I would assume Ben could work on extention and locks him up for 3-5 yrs.  Hamels would probably command similar dollars to Ells after his arb eligible yr.  Sox would have two of the best southpaws in the game.

My next target would be Miami and the name is "Mike Stanton".  He will be very hard to get but what's to lose for asking?  I know it won't be Ells for Stanton.  If Sox add a top prospect, there could be a possibility.  I would knock on their door with Ells and either Drake Britton or Anthony Ranaudo on the table and see if they are interested. 

Lastly I would consider Josh Johnson.  If Marlins don't have any interest of trading their young RF, I would ask for JJ.  This time, we get to keep our top pitching prospects.  Ells for JJ straight up. 

Just an opinion of mine IF and only IF Ells becomes available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I see the what if reasonning of the thread and it is not a bad idea. I'd also be willing to bet that the RS have shopped nearly every one on the roster and have a very good idea of what Ells and all others would net.
    BTW the contract offer to Boras has ne bearing on your what if scenario since other teams would not know what was offered unless it became public.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Braves still seem to be the best match-up.  They are rumored to have tried to get Adam Jones from Baltimore for Jurrjens and Prado.  If Jones is worth Jurrjens and Prado to them, I'd say Ellsbury should be worth Jurrjens, one of their four terrific bullpen arms, and one of Teheren, Vizcaino, or Delgado.  That gives us a very good #5 starter, a legitimate closer for 2011, and a top pitching prospect. 

That does open up another OF spot to fill, but that's where our strongest minor-league help resides.  Also, Cespedes is one of the more intriguing FA options still available.  All things being equal, the gap between a Kimbrel and Melancon and a Jurrjens and Tim Wakefield is much wider than the gap between an Ellsbury and a Kalish.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This whole business of trading Ells while his value is highest (now) assumes that he's going to get worse.  

If he stays the same as last year he could be on a HOF track - so you want him around!

If he declines a little bit you still have one of the best all-around players in baseball - so you want him around.

If he declines a lot you can take a look at him one year from now and THEN decide.  He'll be worth less than this year so he can be signed for less money - if you still want him.  

I just fail to see the logic of trading someone as talented as Ells is just because "his value is highest" now.  

The Sox are one of the premier teams in baseball.  They're a team who SIGNS players when they're as good as Ells even though their value is high.  As I posted a couple of weeks ago, trading him now for lesser players is a great strategy - if you want the Sox to be a second division team.

Which is more valuable to the Sox in '12, one Jacoby Ellsbury or three Josh Reddiks and one #5 starter?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: What is Ells actually worth in a Trade today?:
    [QUOTE]This whole business of trading Ells while his value is highest (now) assumes that he's going to get worse.   If he stays the same as last year he could be on a HOF track - so you want him around! If he declines a little bit you still have one of the best all-around players in baseball - so you want him around. If he declines a lot you can take a look at him one year from now and THEN decide.  He'll be worth less than this year so he can be signed for less money - if you still want him.   I just fail to see the logic of trading someone as talented as Ells is just because "his value is highest" now.   The Sox are one of the premier teams in baseball.  They're a team who SIGNS players when they're as good as Ells even though their value is high.  As I posted a couple of weeks ago, trading him now for lesser players is a great strategy - if you want the Sox to be a second division team. Which is more valuable to the Sox in '12, one Jacoby Ellsbury or three Josh Reddiks and one #5 starter?
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

Don't forget he has only 2 years until free agency and with Boras as his agent it is very likely he will go that route....while his salary increases all the time (assuming he continues playing at this high level).

So talent is a tick, but declining control and increasing cost will continue to put downward pressure on his trade value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Let me make this perfectly clear - do not trade Jake

Try and extend him now.  Boras can say that he wants to wait but he still has to present Ellsbury with offers if the Sox make one.  Eventually, Ellsbury will bite.  If I'm Ellbury, I look at Crawford and want his contract.

Then, take Crawford to the player's union and sue for your money back.  Make him take a psych test which I am sure he will fail and then you could prove he is not fit for Major League Baseball and tear up that joke of a contract and divert the funds to the man who deserves it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I also believe Sox will try to lock him up to a long-term deal before the end of 2012 season if Ells shows consistency during next season. 

But the whole purpose of this thread is what if.  We just want to share our own ideas of where Ells is right now.
    If Braves ask about Ells and willing to give up one of their top pitching prospect, Jurrjens and Prado, it's not a total lost for the Sox IMO. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]Let me make this perfectly clear - do not trade Jake Try and extend him now.  Boras can say that he wants to wait but he still has to present Ellsbury with offers if the Sox make one.  Eventually, Ellsbury will bite.  If I'm Ellbury, I look at Crawford and want his contract. Then, take Crawford to the player's union and sue for your money back.  Make him take a psych test which I am sure he will fail and then you could prove he is not fit for Major League Baseball and tear up that joke of a contract and divert the funds to the man who deserves it.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that thinking--if he continues to play well he will become a FA--Do you think he will come back to Boston after the way he was ridiculed during 2010? He will find greener pastures-the Sox will still have AGon and CC contracts--can you see them adding a $200 M contract? Not sure-but unlikely!!
    At least make him a reasonable offer $160 M for 8 years--Is that reasonable enough?? If he declines keep him for two more years---then what??? Put it out there that he's available--he should be able to bring back a starting pitcher, a positional player and a top AAA pitching prospect. What are they asking for Gio, Bailey, King Felix, Trumbo or Kendry's? If he won't sign for $160 now he's not signing in two years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No one is getting a $200 million dollar deal

If you want to bring in A Gonzalez then I go back to last year - I'd rather have Betlre and VMart and I do not like the idea of a 7 year/154 million dollar deal to a first-baseman or really anyone not named Albert.

As far as JE not being happy here, trading Lowrie was a mistake in that regard.  I would have kept Lowrie around just to keep JE around.  An extra million or two for a utlity IF'er who could hit may have been worth it.  When you only have one friend on a team and that friend leaves it doeesn't become fun to play anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Andrew--unfortunately it's a business. Some team might decide to take JE to try to remain competitive some team might do it to sell tickets. Teams won't do it to keep friends together.

Why do you suppose he only had one friend?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I believe I'm Jake's friend.  I don't want him to leave. 
    If Jake's numbers are around .300 avg/ .360 obp/ 15-20 SB/ 10-15 HRs/ 40-45 RBIs/ 50-60 Rs/ .470 SLG at the all-star break, Ben should seriously negotiate with Boras and try his best to extend Ells to a long-term.  Experts say Jake will probably earn around $8-9MM in 2012 with the salary boost.  Offer Ells 5 yr $71 MM ($13MM '13/ $14MM '14/ $15MM '15&16/ $14MM '17) + '18 & '19 team option at $13MM and $12MM respectively.  Total contract during those 7 yrs (pretending Sox do pick up his last two yrs) will be $96MM. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew--unfortunately it's a business. Some team might decide to take JE to try to remain competitive some team might do it to sell tickets. Teams won't do it to keep friends together. Why do you suppose he only had one friend?
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    The friendless Ellsbury parties with Pap and Pedey in Vegas.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

"The Boston tradition of public ridicule and scapegoating goes back as far as the pillories and (hanging tree) on Boston Common, and has been a part of the local sports scene at least since the days when Colonel Dave Egan and the gutless Knights of the Keyboard tried to run Ted Williams out of town. The Red Sox always seem to have a whipping boy, a target of the wrath of the nation. Rightly or wrongly, Red Sox scapegoats of the past have included Bill Buckner, Heywood Sullivan, Bob Stanley, Carl Everett, Manny Ramirez, JD Drew, Dan Duquette, Theo Epstein, and every manager between Bill “Rough” Carrigan and Terry Francona."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

FOLKS this was an WHAT IF scenario by Madmc at least I did not see him advocating trading him? He said what was he worth.
    I do not wish to see him traded however if trading him plugs two holes in your line up and you have a player to back up his defense then maybe you do it.

Ex: If you could trade Jacoby for a #3 SP and get a RF who hits 275, 15 HR, 75 RBI. Knowing Kalish can play CF.
    Would you do it?

Let say Slomag is right......Ellsbury should be worth Jurrjens, one of their four terrific bullpen arms, and one of Teheren, Vizcaino, or Delgado.  .
    Would you do it????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]This whole business of trading Ells while his value is highest (now) assumes that he's going to get worse.   If he stays the same as last year he could be on a HOF track - so you want him around! If he declines a little bit you still have one of the best all-around players in baseball - so you want him around. If he declines a lot you can take a look at him one year from now and THEN decide.  He'll be worth less than this year so he can be signed for less money - if you still want him.   I just fail to see the logic of trading someone as talented as Ells is just because "his value is highest" now.   The Sox are one of the premier teams in baseball.  They're a team who SIGNS players when they're as good as Ells even though their value is high.  As I posted a couple of weeks ago, trading him now for lesser players is a great strategy - if you want the Sox to be a second division team. Which is more valuable to the Sox in '12, one Jacoby Ellsbury or three Josh Reddiks and one #5 starter?
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

Even if you believe that Ellsbury can be signed long-term and will continue to put up numbers at or above 2011 range, it's still a good move to trade him, given our OF depth and team needs.  Put it this way - if Ellsbury retired tomorrow, our priorities would still be starting pitching and bullpen.  And when we did get around to replacing CF, we would either go with what we have on the farm (Kalish and Reddick, possibly Brett Jackson) or we would look for a RH hitter with plate discipline.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember you want to deal with a team who has strength in the area you have needs. That way they might be willing to give up more than what other teams with out that strength would.

Like Tampa who is looking to possibly trade wade davis because they have so many good pitchers in their system. When you look at what they have they would be wise to trade him to a team for an MLB catcher or a good minor league prospect as well as other prospects. They have a wealth of OF and P in the MLB and comin up they need players for the future to fill the INF and Catching.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Just remember you want to deal with a team who has strength in the area you have needs. That way they might be willing to give up more than what other teams with out that strength would. Like Tampa who is looking to possibly trade wade davis because they have so many good pitchers in their system. When you look at what they have they would be wise to trade him to a team for an MLB catcher or a good minor league prospect as well as other prospects. They have a wealth of OF and P in the MLB and comin up they need players for the future to fill the INF and Catching.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I believe TB has pretty good one or two IF prospects too. They are set for near future.  Rays will take over the East.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Ells actually worth in a Trade today? : The friendless Ellsbury parties with Pap and Pedey in Vegas.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

You don't go to after-work events w/ co-workers?  Are they always necessarily your friends?  You  may get along w/ them but are they necessarily your friends?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

8 years at 160??  do you really think he is worth 20 million per year?? Thats a ton of dough for someone with, when you think about it, one incredible year, with previous decent years.

Sections
Shortcuts