What is our real concern?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: What is our real concern?

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Knowing what percentage of brown spots is acceptable on a Banana.

They're all acceptable. When the banana gets really brown it's the perfect banana for banana bread.

i made some damn good banana bread!. hate walnuts though so i make mine without them..

@SG: your better off using career numbers (or at the very least a 3 year window) for players rather than the previous year.. that way you don't look like an ignorant blowhard!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Big market teams have an advantage.  We shouldnt operate like a small market team.  To do so would be to disregard our competitive advantage.

Hey Drewski,

I don't foresee us operating like a small market team. In fact if you look at the player aquisitions they've made this offseason they in fact haven't. Although they didn't sign what one would consider an impact player. They did spend a ton of dough and also took on the contract of Hanrahan from the Pirates. Lost on most is that the team is in a transistion period and patience will be the word of the day until they get a firm grip on what they have and what they need moving forward.

Major league Roster Questions:

1) Lester & Lackey; both are earning in excess of 13M each and under the teams control for a few more seasons. If both pitch to thier resumes the Sox will be in the mix. Of the two Lester's return to form has long term implications...is he the guy they build the staff around or not...the answer to that question will take all of 2013 to answer.

2) Buccholz & Dempster; Solid middle of the rotation near term guys. Buccholz upside is that of a #2 if he can pitch to that and stay on the field the question then becomes signing him to an extension once his current deal expires...Dempster is a one and done contract guy so they'll need to replace him and Lackey in two or three years....

3) Doubront and the kids on the farm. The long term 3 to 5 year and the near term 1 to 2 year plans is dependent on our abliltiy to develop the young guns in the system to provide cost controlled organizational depth. Doubront is the first in line to show that he's ready, willing and able to be a legit Major League starter. Last year he showed promise, in 2013 he has to continue to progress, prove that he can take the ball every 5 days and compete. If he does then they then have a solid nucleus from which they can allow the young gun in the system to mature and or use any number of combinations to trade for missing links on the major league roster....

What's Missing? A bonified top of the rotation starter! One that every time he takes the ball he says boys climb on board cause I got this. Every club needs a staff leader AKA Clemens to Pedro to Schilling to Beckett to job opening?

The Pen; This years group is solid and since most teams treat the bullpen as fluid each year it's not a long term concern. The only short term question is who's the closer for 2013 and beyond will they resign Hanrahan or let Bailey have another shot entering 2014. Not unlike the top of the rotation guy, the pen leads a leader too...The long term question of who that will be remains unanswered, the need is real...

Everyday players: Fact is they lack it! and it is defined as impact middle of the order bats...

Infield: Pedrioa is the only near and long term player that currently ranks in the top 5 at his position...Questions abound about the rest of the infield...

1B: Napoli is a bandaid and one that's perilously close to falling off...with no legit prospects on the horizon this could well be a position that remains fluid (Middlebrooks?)

2B; Pedrioa enough said.

SS: Drew's plyiong for a contract and could be a short term fix if he's healthly. Down on the farm we have multiple options...my guess is that they'll continue to allow Iggy, Marerro and Bogharts to show they have the ability to be an everyday ML SS...In the meantime continue to fill this on an as needed basis is search of the next Nomar. 2013 is IMHO Iggy last chance to show he's capable of being an everyday player...other wise he could well end up taking Ciriaco spot as a super utility guy...Bogharts is the one with the "it" the question is whether he can filed the position (3B?)

3B; It's Middlebrooks job to lose in the near term. If he hits .280 with 25 bombs and drives in 90 it's his for the long term too...Unless they move him to first to make room for Bogharts?

The Outfield; Let's not kid ourselves there's currently no long term locks on the roster and none of the current group nor the kids on the farm project to be impact bats...

LF; This is the 1# position IMHO where they have both the need and the roster flexibility to use thier resources to trade for and or sign an impact bat.

CF: The near term is Ellsbury & Victorino...the long term is Bradly JR. The only real question that remains is do they trade Ells or let him play it out...looks like they're going to let him play it out.

RF: Not unlike leftfield this is also a near term and long term position of need...what differs is that due to the spacious confines of RF in Fenway this is alos a position that requires a player that is a plus defender...one with range.

C; In the near term it's Salty's job to lose, the best prospect in out system, Swiihart is still "years away"...My guess is they they like SS postion our catcher of the future is not on our current roster...Near term I could see them signing Salty, if he continue to develop and Farrel buys off on him being the leader on the field...

DH; Ortiz then whom, this is another "impact bat position" where they don't have to place a premium on the players ability to field. One that they can use in many differing manners not a real worrisome long term nor near term issue...

The starting rotation in 2016.

#1 Job Opening

#2 Buccholz

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Doubront

The Pen

#1 Closer Job Opening....

#2....the rest of the pen...

The lineup in 2016

#1 Job Opening

#2 Pedrioa

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Middlebrooks

#6 Job Opniong

#7 Job Opening

#8 JOb Opening

#9 Job Opening

End of the day, the Sox are positioned to remake the team in any manner they choose....Down on the farm we've got some decent prospects whom should fill a few of the openings....bottom line is the need is greater than any one teams system can supply the nessasary player to fill all of our voids....unless you're ok with losing 100 games and bieng the Houston Astro's a solid AAAA club...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

Your first post since calling Ciriaco a "chicken neck".

He is a chicken neck. :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

It depends on what you mean by putting our best foot forward. What I didn't want to see happen this off season was the Sox taking that freed up salary and tying it up in other long term contracts. I also didn't want to see ownership sit on this money, which I really didn't think they would do.

Did we sign the best players that were available? No.    But, the FO put a contending team together for 2013, IMO, while not sacrificing the future either financially or in terms of prospects. So in that regard, yes, we put our best foot forward.

don't leave out the not giving up any draft choices

which IMO might of  been just a tad to greedy

if one could easily go from last to the top

without doing any of the above

why would anyone else ever do those things

I don't recall anyone saying it would be "easy".

Nor did I see anyone predicting that they ffinish  on "top".

Lester and buchholz, at the very least, have to pitch up to their career norms and stay healthy.

The same goes for the core of the offense.

Ellsbury, Pedrioa, Ortiz, Midllebrooks and Napoli all have to produce.

As for the "greedy' comment, no one would know "greedy", like a Yankee fan. ;-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I never said some one did

I suppose I could of used Kimmi's words '' not sacrificing ''

but then it would of lost the double meaning of

'' not sacrificing '' & likely to happen in 1 yr
    = easy

Nor did I see anyone predicting that they finish  on "top".

semantics again

competing has been suggested many times on this site

exactly

'' it takes one to know one ''

now if U R done with your word games

why not comment on my point

I think the sox were a tad to greedy this winter

(yanks too but in a different way (cash)

if one could go from last to contending w/ the top teams

without giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester and buchholz, at the very least, have to pitch up to their career norms and stay healthy.

Buch's career norm converted to 162 game season (highly debateable) is: 15-10 3.92  1.34.

Lester's career norm @ 162 games is 15-9 3.76  1.31.

These are nice numbers, and certainly both could do better or much better in 2013, but for years we keep expecting (or hoping/praying) that all goes well at the same time, but it has not worked out that way since 2007. The chances both of these guys put up these numbers or better is probably close to or below 50-50. Then, even if these two do well, we'll need plenty of help from 2-3 of the other SPs to have a good chance at advancing in the playoffs beyond the WC game. 

I'm not writing the 2013 Sox team off, but the odds are long... very long.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Buch's career norm converted to 162 game season (highly debateable) is: 15-10 3.92  1.34.

Lester's career norm @ 162 games is 15-9 3.76  1.31.

These are nice numbers, and certainly both could do better or much better in 2013, but for years we keep expecting (or hoping/praying) that all goes well at the same time, but it has not worked out that way since 2007. The chances both of these guys put up these numbers or better is probably close to or below 50-50. Then, even if these two do well, we'll need plenty of help from 2-3 of the other SPs to have a good chance at advancing in the playoffs beyond the WC game. 

I'm not writing the 2013 Sox team off, but the odds are long... very long.

exactly...the question is not whether any of them can be very good - the question is when is the last time all 3 were at the same time?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Another good point Ice Cream, how many of us true die hard sox fans acually believe we put our best foot forward this off season after a great salary dump?

It depends on what you mean by putting our best foot forward. What I didn't want to see happen this off season was the Sox taking that freed up salary and tying it up in other long term contracts. I also didn't want to see ownership sit on this money, which I really didn't think they would do.

Did we sign the best players that were available? No.    But, the FO put a contending team together for 2013, IMO, while not sacrificing the future either financially or in terms of prospects. So in that regard, yes, we put our best foot forward.

+1  agree 100%

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Another good point Ice Cream, how many of us true die hard sox fans acually believe we put our best foot forward this off season after a great salary dump?

Again I agree Kimmi, a lot of our fans have made great points.  I just have to question whether our current ownership really has a plan for the future.  They allowed so many mistakes to be made on the FA market over the Theo years I'm just not sure they know the direction right now thats best for the teams future.  As Ice Cream stated our payroll is around 151mil and all we have really done is to find a right handed mate for a left handed batter and rest our hopes on the same type pitching staff.

With Dempster and Lackey I don't think we are any better off than last season but we should have a stronger pen.

My real question for our FO is ... Do you really have a plan?  or should you sell the club to someone who might.

Whether you agree with the moves or not, these owners didnt become millionaires/billionaires by flying by the seat of their pants and having no plan...They started out great, lost their way and realized their mistakes and are now back on the same path they started out on...

Its not going to be a 1yr process, but at least they are headed in the right direction. I think filling some holes with good players as well as good clubhouse guys was important. 2013 is a year where fans will have to have patience so we can really see what we have as far as prospects and a couple players currently on the roster.

The talent is there to compete, but in no way does anyone think they are a lock to go far in the playoffs or even get there. But one thing I would bet on is they will be a better team and more fun to watch this year.

We will go they way of our starting rotation. If they fail, the team will...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Big market teams have an advantage.  We shouldnt operate like a small market team.  To do so would be to disregard our competitive advantage.

Hey Drewski,

I don't foresee us operating like a small market team. In fact if you look at the player aquisitions they've made this offseason they in fact haven't. Although they didn't sign what one would consider an impact player. They did spend a ton of dough and also took on the contract of Hanrahan from the Pirates. Lost on most is that the team is in a transistion period and patience will be the word of the day until they get a firm grip on what they have and what they need moving forward.

Major league Roster Questions:

1) Lester & Lackey; both are earning in excess of 13M each and under the teams control for a few more seasons. If both pitch to thier resumes the Sox will be in the mix. Of the two Lester's return to form has long term implications...is he the guy they build the staff around or not...the answer to that question will take all of 2013 to answer.

2) Buccholz & Dempster; Solid middle of the rotation near term guys. Buccholz upside is that of a #2 if he can pitch to that and stay on the field the question then becomes signing him to an extension once his current deal expires...Dempster is a one and done contract guy so they'll need to replace him and Lackey in two or three years....

3) Doubront and the kids on the farm. The long term 3 to 5 year and the near term 1 to 2 year plans is dependent on our abliltiy to develop the young guns in the system to provide cost controlled organizational depth. Doubront is the first in line to show that he's ready, willing and able to be a legit Major League starter. Last year he showed promise, in 2013 he has to continue to progress, prove that he can take the ball every 5 days and compete. If he does then they then have a solid nucleus from which they can allow the young gun in the system to mature and or use any number of combinations to trade for missing links on the major league roster....

What's Missing? A bonified top of the rotation starter! One that every time he takes the ball he says boys climb on board cause I got this. Every club needs a staff leader AKA Clemens to Pedro to Schilling to Beckett to job opening?

The Pen; This years group is solid and since most teams treat the bullpen as fluid each year it's not a long term concern. The only short term question is who's the closer for 2013 and beyond will they resign Hanrahan or let Bailey have another shot entering 2014. Not unlike the top of the rotation guy, the pen leads a leader too...The long term question of who that will be remains unanswered, the need is real...

Everyday players: Fact is they lack it! and it is defined as impact middle of the order bats...

Infield: Pedrioa is the only near and long term player that currently ranks in the top 5 at his position...Questions abound about the rest of the infield...

1B: Napoli is a bandaid and one that's perilously close to falling off...with no legit prospects on the horizon this could well be a position that remains fluid (Middlebrooks?)

2B; Pedrioa enough said.

SS: Drew's plyiong for a contract and could be a short term fix if he's healthly. Down on the farm we have multiple options...my guess is that they'll continue to allow Iggy, Marerro and Bogharts to show they have the ability to be an everyday ML SS...In the meantime continue to fill this on an as needed basis is search of the next Nomar. 2013 is IMHO Iggy last chance to show he's capable of being an everyday player...other wise he could well end up taking Ciriaco spot as a super utility guy...Bogharts is the one with the "it" the question is whether he can filed the position (3B?)

3B; It's Middlebrooks job to lose in the near term. If he hits .280 with 25 bombs and drives in 90 it's his for the long term too...Unless they move him to first to make room for Bogharts?

The Outfield; Let's not kid ourselves there's currently no long term locks on the roster and none of the current group nor the kids on the farm project to be impact bats...

LF; This is the 1# position IMHO where they have both the need and the roster flexibility to use thier resources to trade for and or sign an impact bat.

CF: The near term is Ellsbury & Victorino...the long term is Bradly JR. The only real question that remains is do they trade Ells or let him play it out...looks like they're going to let him play it out.

RF: Not unlike leftfield this is also a near term and long term position of need...what differs is that due to the spacious confines of RF in Fenway this is alos a position that requires a player that is a plus defender...one with range.

C; In the near term it's Salty's job to lose, the best prospect in out system, Swiihart is still "years away"...My guess is they they like SS postion our catcher of the future is not on our current roster...Near term I could see them signing Salty, if he continue to develop and Farrel buys off on him being the leader on the field...

DH; Ortiz then whom, this is another "impact bat position" where they don't have to place a premium on the players ability to field. One that they can use in many differing manners not a real worrisome long term nor near term issue...

The starting rotation in 2016.

#1 Job Opening

#2 Buccholz

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Doubront

The Pen

#1 Closer Job Opening....

#2....the rest of the pen...

The lineup in 2016

#1 Job Opening

#2 Pedrioa

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Middlebrooks

#6 Job Opniong

#7 Job Opening

#8 JOb Opening

#9 Job Opening

End of the day, the Sox are positioned to remake the team in any manner they choose....Down on the farm we've got some decent prospects whom should fill a few of the openings....bottom line is the need is greater than any one teams system can supply the nessasary player to fill all of our voids....unless you're ok with losing 100 games and bieng the Houston Astro's a solid AAAA club...

Good post Bean, we really do have a lot of issues.  I feel management lacks the creative insight to trade players we may not need for those who other teams might in order to solidify our future a bit better at all positions. 

When you look at this club there are really only a few "every day guys" I would consider untouchable at the moment like .... Papi, Pede, Victorino, Ross, Clay, Middy and a few relievers.  Then there are players like Ells, Lester and Lackey who need to prove themselves again to have any value at all.  Everyone else besides a few good prospects are just pieces to a very sketchy "short term" puzzle. 

No need to wait on issues we already know need to be addressed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The  Rotation I'd like to see :

Dempster

Lester

Buch

Rubby DLR

Lackey

Possibles:

Doubie, Wright.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I never said some one did

I suppose I could of used Kimmi's words '' not sacrificing ''

but then it would of lost the double meaning of

'' not sacrificing '' & likely to happen in 1 yr
    = easy

Nor did I see anyone predicting that they finish  on "top".

semantics again

competing has been suggested many times on this site

exactly

'' it takes one to know one ''

now if U R done with your word games

why not comment on my point

I think the sox were a tad to greedy this winter

(yanks too but in a different way (cash)

if one could go from last to contending w/ the top teams

without giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

Perhaps because the "large contracts" and trades were deemed too risky this year?

Just a thought...

You make it sound like it's going to be a team strategy that will occur every year.

Kind of silly, if you ask me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The  Rotation I'd like to see :

Dempster

Lester

Buch

Rubby DLR

Lackey

Possibles:

Doubie, Wright.

I think we very well could see Wright this year...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Looks like Pikey is on his 4th name in a week....lol.  For a guy who monitors the game thread he's "acting" awfully shocked concidering I called Ciriaco chicken neck in his very first at bat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Looks like Pikey is on his 4th name in a week....lol.  For a guy who monitors the game thread he's "acting" awfully shocked concidering I called Ciriaco chicken neck in his very first at bat.

I already put him on ignore. As soon as I identify a new pike alias, straight into the trash heap it goes. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If our near future looks something like

JBJ CF

PEDEY 2B

SWIHART C

BOGGY 3B

WMB 1B

LAVA DH

BRENTZ RF

KEURY DRC LF

IGGY SS

BUCH

BARNES

LESTER

OWENS

DOUBY

TAZ AS CLOSER

IM EXCITED... ALL HOME GROWN

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Perhaps because the "large contracts" and trades were deemed too risky this year?

Just a thought...

You make it sound like it's going to be a team strategy that will occur every year.

........................................................................................................................

where did I come close to suggesting that

I  questioned the likelihood of any last place team competing the next yr

without doing anyone of those 3 things

giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

unlike kimmi and others here, I would rather

my team gave up something to get something

'' no pain no gain''

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Just a thought...

........................................................................................................................

where did I come close to suggesting that

I  questioned the likelihood of any last place team competing the next yr

without doing anyone of those 3 things

giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

unlike kimmi and others here, I would rather

my team gave up something to get something

'' no pain no gain''

As much as some would like to think so, the Sox are not a typical "last place team".

If you want to take the simplistic approach and say the Sox lacked talent last year and that's why they finished last, that your perogative, I suppose.

I think they finished last due to a lot of injuries, gross underperformance from talented players and a horrible manager.

If there are other last place teams ( I assume we're going by last year) that have the talent that the Sox have, feel free to name them.

The Sox (in and, I think ,Kimmi and I) think that reducing 2 of those problems and eliminating the 3rd, will allow the Sox to comptete for a wild card.

Doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

As much as some would like to think so, the Sox are not a typical "last place team".

If you want to take the simplistic approach and say the Sox lacked talent last year and that's why they finished last, that your perogative, I suppose.

I think they finished last due to a lot of injuries, gross underperformance from talented players and a horrible manager.

If there are other last place teams ( I assume we're going by last year) that have the talent that the Sox have, feel free to name them.

The Sox (in and, I think ,Kimmi and I) think that reducing 2 of those problems and eliminating the 3rd, will allow the Sox to comptete for a wild card.

speaking of reasonable

your post would be most reasonable

if only it was written B4

the punto trade

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

speaking of reasonable

your post would be most reasonable

if only it was written B4

the punto trade

So, because of that trade, the Sox have gone from talented to no talent?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

one again I never came close to saying they had no talent

even more peculiar is why would  you would  think  post in those terms

is there not a lot of in between a very talented team  & a no talent team

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

one again I never came close to saying they had no talent

even more peculiar is why would  you would  think  post in those terms

is there not a lot of in between a very talented team  & a no talent team

Fine, glad you realize that.

If you're suggesting they lost too much talent in Beckett and A-gon, to compete, then I don't agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

IB, Nap, Carp, Overbay, Gomez - Really?

Craze, yes, unfortunately, really! This is what happens when you sign FA "obvious to avoid like the plague" Crawbust. AGon was a great fit becuase he was the total package, even if the fans wanted 30 HR a year average out of him. It was truly absurd how he was scapegoated as "the problem", when he wasn't the Red Sox clubhouse tenured Union professor.

At the end of the day, most will never understand the true devastation domino affect of Crawford. You can see the damage it did, really!

This management doesn't anticiapte and plan, it reacts. That's what incompetence is.

AGon was a loss I agree, the rest can be corrected if we choose/trade which prospects and players we need for the future to fill voids.  The Sox consider 9 of our top 20 prospects pitchers, I only see a few that may stick. 

It's time to get creative if this FO has what it takes.

Sections
Shortcuts