What is our real concern?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What is our real concern?

exactly...the question is not whether any of them can be very good - the question is when is the last time all 3 were at the same time?

I've been telling fellow posters for 5 years that we need to stop hoping for 3 guys to all get in sinc at the same time. If we got a 4th top of rotation type starter, then the odds that 2 or 3 do great is much improved.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

IB, Nap, Carp, Overbay, Gomez - Really?

Craze, yes, unfortunately, really! This is what happens when you sign FA "obvious to avoid like the plague" Crawbust. AGon was a great fit becuase he was the total package, even if the fans wanted 30 HR a year average out of him. It was truly absurd how he was scapegoated as "the problem", when he wasn't the Red Sox clubhouse tenured Union professor.

At the end of the day, most will never understand the true devastation domino affect of Crawford. You can see the damage it did, really!

This management doesn't anticiapte and plan, it reacts. That's what incompetence is.

AGon was a loss I agree, the rest can be corrected if we choose/trade which prospects and players we need for the future to fill voids.  The Sox consider 9 of our top 20 prospects pitchers, I only see a few that may stick. 

It's time to get creative if this FO has what it takes.

craze,

I think once they can see a little more development from some prospects they will have a clearer picture of what we have. Some may increase their worth, some may not. But I think this year is going to be a big evaluation year with our "kids"...I expect a few moves next offseason and even possibly in July...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

B, Nap, Carp, Overbay, Gomez - Really?

Craze, yes, unfortunately, really! This is what happens when you sign FA "obvious to avoid like the plague" Crawbust. AGon was a great fit becuase he was the total package, even if the fans wanted 30 HR a year average out of him. It was truly absurd how he was scapegoated as "the problem", when he wasn't the Red Sox clubhouse tenured Union professor.

At the end of the day, most will never understand the true devastation domino affect of Crawford. You can see the damage it did, really!

This management doesn't anticiapte and plan, it reacts. That's what incompetence is.

AGon was a loss I agree, the rest can be corrected if we choose/trade which prospects and players we need for the future to fill voids.  The Sox consider 9 of our top 20 prospects pitchers, I only see a few that may stick. 

craze,

I think once they can see a little more development from some prospects they will have a clearer picture of what we have. Some may increase their worth, some may not. But I think this year is going to be a big evaluation year with our "kids"...I expect a few moves next offseason and even possibly in July...

Someone like Middlebrooks or Bogaerts or even Shaw or Cecchini may end up being our 1Bman of the extended future. I can see why we got Naps as a "bridge" or link to our next signing, but we might actually be waiting to sort out the SS/3B logjam.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Stay fairly healthy and play up to our abilities. Especially Lester, Lackey, Buch and Ellsbury. Thats my concerns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

if one could go from last to contending w/ the top teams

without giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

why would anyone else ever do those things

We already had a solid core of good players. And it's not like the Sox didn't do anything this offseason. They spent a fair amount of money and added solid players, though they might not be the superstar names that some had hoped for.

As FourBs touched on in one of his responses, the 69 wins that the Sox had last year was not truly indicative of the talent/ability of the team. Just about everything that could go wrong last year did, from underperformances, to injuries, to the circus known as BobbyV.

I don't think we even need everything to break in our favor this year to contend. I think we just need to have better than average good breaks this season as opposed to having the inordinate amount of bad breaks, underperformances included, that we had last year.

I'm thinking if Francona cost the team about 7 wins every season, as many insist, then Valentine alone cost the team at least 10 last year. ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

B, Nap, Carp, Overbay, Gomez - Really?

craze,

Someone like Middlebrooks or Bogaerts or even Shaw or Cecchini may end up being our 1Bman of the extended future. I can see why we got Naps as a "bridge" or link to our next signing, but we might actually be waiting to sort out the SS/3B logjam.

I can appreciate everyones point of view and agree we may need a bit more time to sort out issues like, what prospects could make the big club and where.  My concern is whether or not we have these bases covered with our current prospects.  

For those like Bogy, Middy etc. who may need to adapt to a new position in order to break our lineup its important to make these decisions sooner rather than later so it doesn't hurt us defensively moving forward.  If not, lets trade prospects that we feel may not fit for those who will, or in other words may have more natural talent at the position we need to fill.

Guys like Nap playing IB is a perfect example, after losing AGon and the FO not having enough faith in Gomez or others it's obvious we sacrafice defense at 1B this season with nothing concrete for the future but a few thoughts from fans.  I do feel we are heading in the right direction in the clubhouse but would love to see some higher OBP's back in the lineup from every day players.  Resting our hopes on so many mediocre righty/lefty platoon guys isn't going to improve our club unless everything plays out perfectly. 

It certainly doesn't give us any long term hope either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

We already had a solid core of good players. And it's not like the Sox didn't do anything this offseason. They spent a fair amount of money and added solid players, though they might not be the superstar names that some had hoped for.

As FourBs touched on in one of his responses, the 69 wins that the Sox had last year was not truly indicative of the talent/ability of the team. Just about everything that could go wrong last year did, from underperformances, to injuries, to the circus known as BobbyV.

I don't think we even need everything to break in our favor this year to contend. I think we just need to have better than average good breaks this season as opposed to having the inordinate amount of bad breaks, underperformances included, that we had last year.

I'm thinking if Francona cost the team about 7 wins every season, as many insist, then Valentine alone cost the team at least 10 last year. ;-)

As FourBs touched on in one of his responses, the 69 wins that the Sox had last year was not truly indicative of the talent/ability of the team.

some say U R what your record is

I told 4B's his point had more merit B4 the  punto trade

ok I'll B quiet

bottom line

it's spring training so we R allowed 2 believe anything is possible

including that  I might be right ;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Nothing like having a thread entitled "our concern" and get a Yankee troll to post his opinion by regurgitating 75 times that we were in last place. He also doesn't think we did the right thing this off-season by not sacrificing our prospects in the worst free agent market in years.

In his defense, he does say he comes here to keep fans real and make sure posters don't get too positive about the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Lester and buchholz, at the very least, have to pitch up to their career norms and stay healthy.

Buch's career norm converted to 162 game season (highly debateable) is: 15-10 3.92  1.34.

Lester's career norm @ 162 games is 15-9 3.76  1.31.

These are nice numbers, and certainly both could do better or much better in 2013, but for years we keep expecting (or hoping/praying) that all goes well at the same time, but it has not worked out that way since 2007. The chances both of these guys put up these numbers or better is probably close to or below 50-50. Then, even if these two do well, we'll need plenty of help from 2-3 of the other SPs to have a good chance at advancing in the playoffs beyond the WC game. 

I'm not writing the 2013 Sox team off, but the odds are long... very long.

exactly...the question is not whether any of them can be very good - the question is when is the last time all 3 were at the same time?

+2 Nice photo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Perhaps because the "large contracts" and trades were deemed too risky this year?

Just a thought...

You make it sound like it's going to be a team strategy that will occur every year.

Kind of silly, if you ask me.

........................................................................................................................

You make it sound like it's going to be a team strategy that will occur every year.

where did I come close to suggesting that

I  questioned the likelihood of any last place team competing the next yr

without doing anyone of those 3 things

giving a large contract, trading a prospect or giving up a draft choice

unlike kimmi and others here, I would rather

my team gave up something to get something

'' no pain no gain''

As much as some would like to think so, the Sox are not a typical "last place team".

If you want to take the simplistic approach and say the Sox lacked talent last year and that's why they finished last, that your perogative, I suppose.

I think they finished last due to a lot of injuries, gross underperformance from talented players and a horrible manager.

If there are other last place teams ( I assume we're going by last year) that have the talent that the Sox have, feel free to name them.

The Sox (in and, I think ,Kimmi and I) think that reducing 2 of those problems and eliminating the 3rd, will allow the Sox to comptete for a wild card.

Doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

+ 1/2; meaning sort of

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Nothing like having a thread entitled "our concern" and get a Yankee troll to post his opinion by regurgitating 75 times that we were in last place. He also doesn't think we did the right thing this off-season by not sacrificing our prospects in the worst free agent market in years.

In his defense, he does say he comes here to keep fans real and make sure posters don't get too positive about the Sox.

Youi sure as heck do not keep things real.

Do you work for BDC? I'm just not getting your trolling comments on all forums on this site without any discussion of sports -- just insults -- and you're still going strong on to 600 posts. Something is not right here -- especially since you're an admitted Yankee troll and Sox fans have been banned for less.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Youi sure as heck do not keep things real.

Do you work for BDC? I'm just not getting your trolling comments on all forums on this site without any discussion of sports -- just insults -- and you're still going strong on to 600 posts. Something is not right here -- especially since you're an admitted Yankee troll and Sox fans have been banned for less.

yeah.....I am here waxing the floors and taking out the trash.....seem to be typing a post and responding to a BIG piece of trash right now.

That's really great. And you somehow timed your posts to be exactly at the same time I am posting. It's like my own personal abusive Yankee troll following me around. And it's all good. Are you one of the new moderators here?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

He also doesn't think we did the right thing this off-season by not sacrificing our prospects in the worst free agent market in years.

wow did she really say that

granted IDK baseball like U do

but wouldn't that be 1 of the better times to sac a prospect

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

He also doesn't think we did the right thing this off-season by not sacrificing our prospects in the worst free agent market in years.

wow did she really say that

granted IDK baseball like U do

but wouldn't that be 1 of the better times to sac a prospect

In Yaz's thread, your post was completely sarcastic, and you know that. Telling him he must have been drinking along with all your "happiness" comments. IMO you took advantage of a perceived friendship, and really tried to mock him and then put up what you would hope would be a ridiculed assessment of the pitching staff. That, of course, would change the whole point of the thread about being happy whatever the circumstances. But you couldn't stand that, so you tried to change the purpose of the thread.

IMO, I'm sure Yaz would not agree because he doesn't see it, you have no friendships here. You simply use people to advance your position. That being, Sox fans can't be too happy, and you really don't like the Sox -- or their fans. Oh, and we were in "last place" last season, and you think the whole sell-out streak is made up. We get it. Keep bringing the rain. Apparently there are people that still don't get you.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Big market teams have an advantage.  We shouldnt operate like a small market team.  To do so would be to disregard our competitive advantage.

Hey Drewski,

I don't foresee us operating like a small market team. In fact if you look at the player aquisitions they've made this offseason they in fact haven't. Although they didn't sign what one would consider an impact player. They did spend a ton of dough and also took on the contract of Hanrahan from the Pirates. Lost on most is that the team is in a transistion period and patience will be the word of the day until they get a firm grip on what they have and what they need moving forward.

Major league Roster Questions:

1) Lester & Lackey; both are earning in excess of 13M each and under the teams control for a few more seasons. If both pitch to thier resumes the Sox will be in the mix. Of the two Lester's return to form has long term implications...is he the guy they build the staff around or not...the answer to that question will take all of 2013 to answer.

2) Buccholz & Dempster; Solid middle of the rotation near term guys. Buccholz upside is that of a #2 if he can pitch to that and stay on the field the question then becomes signing him to an extension once his current deal expires...Dempster is a one and done contract guy so they'll need to replace him and Lackey in two or three years....

3) Doubront and the kids on the farm. The long term 3 to 5 year and the near term 1 to 2 year plans is dependent on our abliltiy to develop the young guns in the system to provide cost controlled organizational depth. Doubront is the first in line to show that he's ready, willing and able to be a legit Major League starter. Last year he showed promise, in 2013 he has to continue to progress, prove that he can take the ball every 5 days and compete. If he does then they then have a solid nucleus from which they can allow the young gun in the system to mature and or use any number of combinations to trade for missing links on the major league roster....

What's Missing? A bonified top of the rotation starter! One that every time he takes the ball he says boys climb on board cause I got this. Every club needs a staff leader AKA Clemens to Pedro to Schilling to Beckett to job opening?

The Pen; This years group is solid and since most teams treat the bullpen as fluid each year it's not a long term concern. The only short term question is who's the closer for 2013 and beyond will they resign Hanrahan or let Bailey have another shot entering 2014. Not unlike the top of the rotation guy, the pen leads a leader too...The long term question of who that will be remains unanswered, the need is real...

Everyday players: Fact is they lack it! and it is defined as impact middle of the order bats...

Infield: Pedrioa is the only near and long term player that currently ranks in the top 5 at his position...Questions abound about the rest of the infield...

1B: Napoli is a bandaid and one that's perilously close to falling off...with no legit prospects on the horizon this could well be a position that remains fluid (Middlebrooks?)

2B; Pedrioa enough said.

SS: Drew's plyiong for a contract and could be a short term fix if he's healthly. Down on the farm we have multiple options...my guess is that they'll continue to allow Iggy, Marerro and Bogharts to show they have the ability to be an everyday ML SS...In the meantime continue to fill this on an as needed basis is search of the next Nomar. 2013 is IMHO Iggy last chance to show he's capable of being an everyday player...other wise he could well end up taking Ciriaco spot as a super utility guy...Bogharts is the one with the "it" the question is whether he can filed the position (3B?)

3B; It's Middlebrooks job to lose in the near term. If he hits .280 with 25 bombs and drives in 90 it's his for the long term too...Unless they move him to first to make room for Bogharts?

The Outfield; Let's not kid ourselves there's currently no long term locks on the roster and none of the current group nor the kids on the farm project to be impact bats...

LF; This is the 1# position IMHO where they have both the need and the roster flexibility to use thier resources to trade for and or sign an impact bat.

CF: The near term is Ellsbury & Victorino...the long term is Bradly JR. The only real question that remains is do they trade Ells or let him play it out...looks like they're going to let him play it out.

RF: Not unlike leftfield this is also a near term and long term position of need...what differs is that due to the spacious confines of RF in Fenway this is alos a position that requires a player that is a plus defender...one with range.

C; In the near term it's Salty's job to lose, the best prospect in out system, Swiihart is still "years away"...My guess is they they like SS postion our catcher of the future is not on our current roster...Near term I could see them signing Salty, if he continue to develop and Farrel buys off on him being the leader on the field...

DH; Ortiz then whom, this is another "impact bat position" where they don't have to place a premium on the players ability to field. One that they can use in many differing manners not a real worrisome long term nor near term issue...

The starting rotation in 2016.

#1 Job Opening

#2 Buccholz

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Doubront

The Pen

#1 Closer Job Opening....

#2....the rest of the pen...

The lineup in 2016

#1 Job Opening

#2 Pedrioa

#3 Job Opening

#4 Job Opening

#5 Middlebrooks

#6 Job Opniong

#7 Job Opening

#8 JOb Opening

#9 Job Opening

End of the day, the Sox are positioned to remake the team in any manner they choose....Down on the farm we've got some decent prospects whom should fill a few of the openings....bottom line is the need is greater than any one teams system can supply the nessasary player to fill all of our voids....unless you're ok with losing 100 games and bieng the Houston Astro's a solid AAAA club...

Good post Bean, we really do have a lot of issues.  I feel management lacks the creative insight to trade players we may not need for those who other teams might in order to solidify our future a bit better at all positions. 

When you look at this club there are really only a few "every day guys" I would consider untouchable at the moment like .... Papi, Pede, Victorino, Ross, Clay, Middy and a few relievers.  Then there are players like Ells, Lester and Lackey who need to prove themselves again to have any value at all.  Everyone else besides a few good prospects are just pieces to a very sketchy "short term" puzzle. 

No need to wait on issues we already know need to be addressed.

Hey craze,

The roster will be somewhat fluid for the next two or three years...That's not to suggest they can't and won't win their share of games. It does mean that they'll likely not be a legit playoff team though...at least not on paper. The truth is that they're not that far away from being in the mix...Add a top of the rotation starter and a couple of impact bats and we'd be in the mix for all the marbles. The problem is that the free agent market in recent times has not yielded many of those types and the cost of aquisition is prohibitive when you're talking trades. In the end it will take a combination of players in our system both making the jump and as trade chips along with signing impact players that come to market...

The issue at hand is who represents the nucleus whom they'll build the lineup and rotation around. It was supposed to be Agon (Manny) & Beckett (Schilling)...That was then. Our current roster has two everyday players that represent the future around which they need to add impact players Pedrioa and young Middlebrooks who's yet to prove that he is the real deal. In our system we have a two top prospects in Bradley and Boghart that are projected to be above average major leaguers. Key word is "projected" if both realize thier full potential and make the jump in 2014 or 2015 along with Middlebrooks proving to be legit? They then have 3 players that are all under the teams control code along with Pedrioa to build around...if either falls short or Middlebrooks drops off and isn't a cornerstone, it places a higher premium on us aquiring players and cobbling the team together and places an even greater emphesis on signing impact bats in free agency...

Where we difer is that I do think that Cherington has a plan...first and foremost is he needed to purge the lockeroom of the malcontents and begin constructing the team with players and managers that buy into the mission statement. He inhereted a team with a ton of bad contracts, one that lacked on field leaders. My guess is that if all goes well and Henry and Luccino don't cut his legs out from under him. That come 2015 or 2016 the makeup of the roster and the quality of the team's play will be of championship mettle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Perhaps because the "large contracts" and trades were deemed too risky this year?

Just a thought...

........................................................................................................................

where did I come close to suggesting that

'' no pain no gain''

Right.  LIke when they gave up all those elite prospects to get Sabathia, Teixeira and Burnett?

Dude (you are a dude, right?  Cannot tell online), as much as you try to denigrate the Sox offseason activities, you might want to remind yuorelf about the rather lackluster offseason in the Bronx.  And while the Yankees won 95 games and appeared in the ALCS last year, that does not guarantee anything in 2013.   The 2011 Red Sox won 90 games, and won 83 through August.  The next year they won 69.  Teams can go from good to bad fast. Why do you think the Yankees are immune?

Remember, baseball is a game of medicorities.  The best teams win 60% of the time, and the worst teams win 40% of the time.  That is a very tight range...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to notin's comment:

'' no pain no gain''

Right.  LIke when they gave up all those elite prospects to get Sabathia, Teixeira and Burnett?

Dude (you are a dude, right?  Cannot tell online), as much as you try to denigrate the Sox offseason activities, you might want to remind yuorelf about the rather lackluster offseason in the Bronx.  And while the Yankees won 95 games and appeared in the ALCS last year, that does not guarantee anything in 2013.   The 2011 Red Sox won 90 games, and won 83 through August.  The next year they won 69.  Teams can go from good to bad fast. Why do you think the Yankees are immune?

[/QUOTE]

Right.  LIke when they gave up all those elite prospects to get Sabathia, Teixeira and Burnett?

NO, that would be #1 large contracts & #3 giving up a draft choices

( some even suggest it was trout)

was that really that hard to follow

no idea what your point was but

thanks for strengthening my point

LOL calling the yankee winter a  ''lackluster off season '' 

U R  way to kind

I have repeatedly suggested  that the yanks & sox

will be competing for 3rd & 4th place

which is fine by me as long as we beat the sox

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

As FourBs touched on in one of his responses, the 69 wins that the Sox had last year was not truly indicative of the talent/ability of the team.

some say U R what your record is

I told 4B's his point had more merit B4 the  punto trade

ok I'll B quiet

bottom line

it's spring training so we R allowed 2 believe anything is possible

including that  I might be right ;-)

The bong in the pic explains a lot...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember, baseball is a game of medicorities.  The best teams win 60% of the time, and the worst teams win 40% of the time.  That is a very tight range...

Yes, and the range between Wild card winners and average teams is tiny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Where we difer is that I do think that Cherington has a plan...first and foremost is he needed to purge the lockeroom of the malcontents and begin constructing the team with players and managers that buy into the mission statement. He inhereted a team with a ton of bad contracts, one that lacked on field leaders. My guess is that if all goes well and Henry and Luccino don't cut his legs out from under him. That come 2015 or 2016 the makeup of the roster and the quality of the team's play will be of championship mettle.

Bean, I completely agree with the fact we did some things to right the ship.  What I doubt is whether we have the right mix of prospects for future slotsand feel we could easily package a few prospects and guys off the 40 man roster to get the right fits without hurting our current chances in the next couple of years. 

I also agree Ben will have an opportunity to grab a couple fA's at some point and the team isn't that far away from really being a contender but is our plan year to year, or more long term?  Also, will it hurt us defensively if our current prospects need to learn a new position at the last minute just to break into our lineup?

At the moment only Bradley Jr. appears to be destined to play CF to replace Ells.  Nothing else besides possibly De La Rosa and Barnes seem to be clear.  Even Iggy doesn't appear to have a spot on this team with Drew, Bogy and Ciriaco now in the picture and Lav?  Salty should be traded at some point to allow Ryan and Ross to catch, otherwise trade Lav if we really want Salty's low OBP in the every day lineup.  Lav deserves the same chance we handed Salty, it's pretty obvious our DH spot is filled so where are these guys futures?

I'm not sure we really have a plan at all moving forward.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bean, I completely agree with the fact we did some things to right the ship.  What I doubt is whether we have the right mix of prospects for future slotsand feel we could easily package a few prospects and guys off the 40 man roster to get the right fits without hurting our current chances in the next couple of years. 

I also agree Ben will have an opportunity to grab a couple fA's at some point and the team isn't that far away from really being a contender but is our plan year to year, or more long term?  Also, will it hurt us defensively if our current prospects need to learn a new position at the last minute just to break into our lineup?

At the moment only Bradley Jr. appears to be destined to play CF to replace Ells.  Nothing else besides possibly De La Rosa and Barnes seem to be clear.  Even Iggy doesn't appear to have a spot on this team with Drew, Bogy and Ciriaco now in the picture and Lav?  Salty should be traded at some point to allow Ryan and Ross to catch, otherwise trade Lav if we really want Salty's low OBP in the every day lineup.  Lav deserves the same chance we handed Salty, it's pretty obvious our DH spot is filled so where are these guys futures?

I'm not sure we really have a plan at all moving forward.

First of all, Drew is here for one year max. Do you really think that Iglesias should have been handed the starting job in Boston based on last year's performance? Or will he be better served by spending another year in Pawtucket developing his bat? Lavarnaway is still pretty young for a catcher and last year was his first year catching full time. It definitely showed in his offense as he had his worst year at the plate since becoming a professional. He's another guy who needs some development time in Pawtucket IMO. Bogaerts is a for sure major leaguer in the next year or two barring injury. Where he plays is going to depend a lot on how Iglesias' bat develops. Brentz is another guy who could have an impact in the next year or two provided he can remember to unload his guns before cleaning them. As far as DH being an open position, Papi is done in 2 years and Napoli is on a 1 year deal. So I would say that there is in fact a long term plan in place. You may not like it, but it's there.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts