What is the back-up plan for 1B?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

What is the back-up plan for 1B?

If Napoli doesn't end up in Boston (I am actually hoping he doesn't because he is a physical wreck who batted .227 with 80 hits last season) - then what is the plan?

Would you want any of these FA 1B?

Berkman

Cairo

Giambi

Huff

Kotchman

Laroche

Lee

Overbay

Rivera

Looks like slim pickings to me - although I could live with signing C. Lee for one season.  Only ONE season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Re: What is the back-up plan for 1B?

If we are going one season...  I would pick Berkman...  But honestly....  There is just not a lot out there at first.  Not a lot at all, and no one that even makes me say, errrrr...  That would be okay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Do teams really go crazy about a "special" first baseman in the AL? It's kinda a part time job with the DH, especially when they want to rest players there as well. I loved Agon's bat, but I wanted Youk to stay there. I thought he was a fantastic first baseman. I wish we still had him to put him back there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The 1B market is gruel-thin.

I think I could live with Lee or Berkman for ONE year.  but I think Berkman will want longer deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Depends on if you think we can resign Morse.  Looking likely that LaRoche will re-up w/ Nats. Question becomes how much are you willing to give up for 1 yr of Morse?  How much are you willing to give up for 3 yrs?

I only include Doubie if I can extend Morse for 3/39 on top of his current 3M+ salary.  Id also xray the crap out of Morse because he had wrist concerns through most of 2012.  HOwever, if the physical shows health, and I can sign Morse for 13M for 2014, 2015, 2016 (he makes 3M+ in 2013), Im willing to give up a lot.

Doubie, Barnes, Salty , Cachhini

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Depends on if you think we can resign Morse.  Looking likely that LaRoche will re-up w/ Nats. Question becomes how much are you willing to give up for 1 yr of Morse?  How much are you willing to give up for 3 yrs?

I only include Doubie if I can extend Morse for 3/39 on top of his current 3M+ salary.  Id also xray the crap out of Morse because he had wrist concerns through most of 2012.  HOwever, if the physical shows health, and I can sign Morse for 13M for 2014, 2015, 2016 (he makes 3M+ in 2013), Im willing to give up a lot.

Really? Thats quite a lot in a pay raise and prospects/MLB players for a guy whos had over 100 GP twicw in his career and will be 31 before the start of the season...His k/BB ratio was terrible the last 2 seasons.

Now Im not saying he wouldnt do well, But personally, Id need a little more than a solid 2011 season to give up that much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the season started tomorrow your firstbaseman would be Mauro Gomez! With Big Papi and Salty as b/u's. Or maybe Drew Sutton wins the job!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Really? Thats quite a lot in a pay raise and prospects/MLB players for a guy whos had over 100 GP twicw in his career and will be 31 before the start of the season...His k/BB ratio was terrible the last 2 seasons.

Now Im not saying he wouldnt do well, But personally, Id need a little more than a solid 2011 season to give up that much.

His OBP was .350+ in two of the last three years.    BA was .290+ all three years.  He's 6'5" and built like an ox.  Dude is a mammoth w/ freak strength.  The power decrease was due to his wrists.  

In the wake of a 38 yr old Dickey gettin 2 top propsects + , I think my offer is fair.  Prospects dont haul what they use to.  Teams have more money these days and are making more baseball decisions than business decisions.  Look at the haul for Dickey, Sheilds.  Look at the RS/Dodgers trade.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

morse would be a decent option, wonder if ben will try for mauer again, i think a deal with napoli gets done though. if the sox felt like he was damaged goods, they would have backed out by now. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mitch Moreland I think would be a nice pickup for Ells and a prospect.

Garrett Jones from the Pirates.

VMart.

Justin Morneau-will be a FA after 2013.

I think any of those guys could be had for Doubrount and a prospect or one of our catchers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

If Napoli doesn't end up in Boston (I am actually hoping he doesn't because he is a physical wreck who batted .227 with 80 hits last season) - then what is the plan?

Berkman

Cairo

Giambi

Huff

Kotchman

Laroche

Lee

Overbay

Rivera

Looks like slim pickings to me - although I could live with signing C. Lee for one season.  Only ONE season.

The Royals, about a month ago had 1B Hosmer on the trade block. This was an opportunity for the Sox to get a young MLB 1B. Add Myers to the list would of been the blockbuster that i was hoping for from the Sox. Hosmer and Myers could of solve some debated questions/riddle who's on first, and who't the future OF'er could of been. Along with Bradley Jr., Brentz , Linares etc. would of been OK in my book.

Gomez seems to be the the waiting game on first now. If the Sox can sign Berkman for one year, then I would be content with Berkman and Gomez taking the the 1B role. Berkman is a switch hitter and Gomez a young slugger can get the same job done as Napoli. Both Gomez and Berkman could of share the duties all season on 1B, late innings/extra innings replacement for both 1B and DH.

If the Napoli deal is rejected then Berkman would be the best low risk move.

The Line Up:

Ells CF Victorino RF Ped 2B Papi DH Middlebrooks 3B Drew 2B Berkman 1B Salty C Gomes LF

Bench Ciriaco Kalish Gomez Ross

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would go for Mark Trumbo.  I believe this team has pieces to make the trade happen minimizing the cost of our future talents.  To start off, we have surplus in BP, eating eaters, and catchers.  Bailey and Lavarnway could be the centerpiece of this trade for Trumbo.  Franklin Morales might have to be included.  Here is my proposal.  

Bailey, Lavarnway, Morales, and Iglesias for Trumbo, Wells and some cash.  In this case, Ellsbury has to be traded for SP.  

Lineup would look like

Victorino-Pedoria-Ortiz-Trumbo-WMB-Salty-Wells-Drew-Gomes(Kalish)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is a no-brainer. LaRoche is obviously the best on the list but Ben would never try to get someone that might cost him a draft pick.

My choice is Berkman and I think he could be had with a Gome's type deal, or a 1 + 1. The guy can flat out mash.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

OPS

2012:  Berkman .826, Napoli .812

2011:  B .959, N 1.046

2010:  B .781, N .784

2009:  B .907, N .842

2008:  B .986, N .960

Also:  Berkman is 6 years older, Berkman did most of the above in the NL, Napoli did most of the above as a catcher.

If Napoli is healthy he is a FAR better choice than Berkman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Smoke, mark my words.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Red Sox Talking To Adam LaRoche By Zach Links [December 27, 2012 at 8:12am CST]

The Red Sox are talking with free agent Adam LaRoche, two sources tell Jen Royle of SB Nation Boston (via Twitter).  LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal and a third source tells Royle that he's still not willing to compromise on contract length.

LaRoche would be the alternative to signing Mike Napoli, but major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Boston would prefer to complete their deal with the backstop.  The Red Sox haven't given any official word on why the deal with Napoli hasn't been completed, but the Mariners reportedly backed away from signing him over a problem with one of his hips.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Berkman

Cairo

Giambi

Huff

Kotchman

Laroche

Lee

Overbay

Rivera

Middlebrooks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Laroche 3 years $39 M to keep the other 3 and $39's happy or perhaps 2 and $30.

In addition you are getting a good defensive 1B; a .995 %. Will save WMB and Drew some throwing errors. Every team needs a strong 1B.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i loved LaRouche when he was here....hope we get him...veryy happy if it works out that way

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

OPS

2012:  Berkman .826, Napoli .812

2011:  B .959, N 1.046

2010:  B .781, N .784

2009:  B .907, N .842

2008:  B .986, N .960

Also:  Berkman is 6 years older, Berkman did most of the above in the NL, Napoli did most of the above as a catcher.

If Napoli is healthy he is a FAR better choice than Berkman.

I would want a  "healthy" Napoli over Berkman. Last year the Sox were hit with injury bugs. I am hoping this year will not be a repeat. If Napoli, Lackey, Papi, Ells and Ped can stay healthy all season then I will be very content with this Sox team.

Victorino and Ellsbury on top of the batting order will be some fine speed. If these two can get on base regularly, this will be extra pressure on the opposing pitchers and infield. The threat of having two base stealers on the bases will be a bonus for the Sox's line up. I am looking forward to see what happens with thos combo..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

donrd,

our little, wannabe sox general manager group here in town have mentioned middlebrooks many times as a potential first baseman.

he is long and athletic.  he is somewhat range limited at third where he would not be (as much) at first.  he has the power potential that teams always like at first (of course, he has it at third as well).  and, he could become a real good first baseman within a year.

if they do not want to try middlebrooks, i am a fan of giving gomez a legit shot for 50 or so games.  i believe that gomez will hit more home runs and drive in more runs than napoli if given the same number of starts and at-bats.  gomez is also likely to field and run better as well.  i also liked giving sands a chance, but he is now in pittsburgh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

donrd,

our little, wannabe sox general manager group here in town have mentioned middlebrooks many times as a potential first baseman.

he is long and athletic.  he is somewhat range limited at third where he would not be (as much) at first.  he has the power potential that teams always like at first (of course, he has it at third as well).  and, he could become a real good first baseman within a year.

if they do not want to try middlebrooks, i am a fan of giving gomez a legit shot for 50 or so games.  i believe that gomez will hit more home runs and drive in more runs than napoli if given the same number of starts and at-bats.  gomez is also likely to field and run better as well.  i also liked giving sands a chance, but he is now in pittsburgh.

I like your idea.  

Sections
Shortcuts