In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OPS

2012:  Berkman .826, Napoli .812

2011:  B .959, N 1.046

2010:  B .781, N .784

2009:  B .907, N .842

2008:  B .986, N .960

Also:  Berkman is 6 years older, Berkman did most of the above in the NL, Napoli did most of the above as a catcher.

If Napoli is healthy he is a FAR better choice than Berkman.

[/QUOTE]

Look at their career clutch stats and try again. And Berkman's career OPS is .953 compared to .863 for Naps plus a .409 OBP compared to .356.
    Berkman has more experience playing 1B than Napoli and can play the OF as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: What is the back-up plan for 1B?

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

donrd,

our little, wannabe sox general manager group here in town have mentioned middlebrooks many times as a potential first baseman.

he is long and athletic.  he is somewhat range limited at third where he would not be (as much) at first.  he has the power potential that teams always like at first (of course, he has it at third as well).  and, he could become a real good first baseman within a year.

if they do not want to try middlebrooks, i am a fan of giving gomez a legit shot for 50 or so games.  i believe that gomez will hit more home runs and drive in more runs than napoli if given the same number of starts and at-bats.  gomez is also likely to field and run better as well.  i also liked giving sands a chance, but he is now in pittsburgh.

[/QUOTE]

I like your idea.  

[/QUOTE]

I definitely think we could see Middlebrooks move to 1B eventually to make room for Bogaerts or Cecchini at third.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

[/QUOTE]

I am trying to figure out this lingo also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

donrd,

our little, wannabe sox general manager group here in town have mentioned middlebrooks many times as a potential first baseman.

he is long and athletic.  he is somewhat range limited at third where he would not be (as much) at first.  he has the power potential that teams always like at first (of course, he has it at third as well).  and, he could become a real good first baseman within a year.

if they do not want to try middlebrooks, i am a fan of giving gomez a legit shot for 50 or so games.  i believe that gomez will hit more home runs and drive in more runs than napoli if given the same number of starts and at-bats.  gomez is also likely to field and run better as well.  i also liked giving sands a chance, but he is now in pittsburgh.

[/QUOTE]

I like your idea.  

[/QUOTE]

I definitely think we could see Middlebrooks move to 1B eventually to make room for Bogaerts or Cecchini at third.

[/QUOTE]

this Bogie guy must be magic...we already moving starters around to make way for this minor league guy...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

donrd,

[/QUOTE]

I like your idea.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this Bogie guy must be magic...we already moving starters around to make way for this minor league guy...

[/QUOTE]

Speculating about who's going to be where two or three years from now is usually futile, of course...but Bogaerts is going to be a good one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OPS

Also:  Berkman is 6 years older, Berkman did most of the above in the NL, Napoli did most of the above as a catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Look at their career clutch stats and try again. And Berkman's career OPS is .953 compared to .863 for Naps plus a .409 OBP compared to .356.

[/QUOTE]

Most of his best seasons were 5-15 years ago, hence my quick look at the past 5 years....even that is generous toward Berkman as he is 37 in February.  Berkman played 0 games in the OF in 2012, and is now a year older.  Playing is not the same as playing well.  Plus Napoli's ability to catch has more value than Berkman's ability to play the OF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

donrd,

[/QUOTE]

Think you got something there.Like the idea of Gomez at first also... Why not... Lets see what he gives us. And he's healthy too !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OPS

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most of his best seasons were 5-15 years ago, hence my quick look at the past 5 years....even that is generous toward Berkman as he is 37 in February.  Berkman played 0 games in the OF in 2012, and is now a year older.  Playing is not the same as playing well.  Plus Napoli's ability to catch has more value than Berkman's ability to play the OF.

[/QUOTE]

His 2011 season was one of his best and he played 123 games in the OF. He was hurt last year, only playing in 32 games. Plus his ability to play OF has more value than Napoli's ability to play 1B.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Middlebrooks is our new Youkilis. Ha! That's fine w/ me. Whatever works. anyone think BC can shave off a year on Napoli deal given his health issues? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Morse ( after La Roche signs elsewhere)  but that will involve a trade and I don't want to lose any more prospects. I'd be willing to trade Salty and some lower level prospects. Give them cash also.

[/QUOTE]

i'd be willing to let aceves, salty/lava and/or some lower level prospects go for a decent 1Bman with a couple years of control.

for a really good, young 1Bman like Paul Goldschmidt or Ike Davis i would be willing to part with JBJ as the centerpiece and work other pieces in to even it all out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I hope someone on the Sox was smart enough to buy a 1B mitt for Lavarnway this Christmas.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope someone on the Sox was smart enough to buy a 1B mitt for Lavarnway this Christmas.

[/QUOTE]

also an idea thrown around this offseason. Lava was named defensive catcher of the year in the IL last year. Which means nothing if you don't know the competition he faced for the award but hey. it counts for SOMETHING. I think 2013 will be the deciding year on Lavarnways catching status. Salty is under team conrtol through the 2013 season. If he continues to step his game up like he has since he came to boston then i think we will definitely look to sign him long term and lava can pick up first base. If salty falters and Lava continues to refine his game defensively and shows his stick then we'll let salty walk and it will be Lava time in 2014. I do think we could be having Lava play first base in the games he's not catching..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I just believe that Lavarnway is going to hit at the MLB level.  The guy is a hitter - and that is the reason he needs to play some 1B - just to get ABs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just believe that Lavarnway is going to hit at the MLB level.  The guy is a hitter - and that is the reason he needs to play some 1B - just to get ABs

[/QUOTE]

Ive been saying this for a while now. Lav doesnt look comfortable behind the plate and by being a catcher they are stifling his best attribute, his offense. Take his numbers, besides last year and you have a 1b under control for many years who will hit for a high AVG, OBP and SLG. He will also potentially give you 25-30+HR a year.

We have Butler, Ross, Salty, Vasquez and swihart...We'll be fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Drop Nap and sign LaRoche for the 3 years and sacrifice the second round pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drop Nap and sign LaRoche for the 3 years and sacrifice the second round pick.

[/QUOTE]

i really like napoli..but if he keeps this up and not want to sign what the red sox want...go for laroche he's a better 1B anyway...napoli would damage the monster..but at some point we gotta move on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OPS

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His 2011 season was one of his best and he played 123 games in the OF. He was hurt last year, only playing in 32 games. Plus his ability to play OF has more value than Napoli's ability to play 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Well both would be 1Bman here on the Sox, so would you rather have  37 year old who could play OF or a 31 year that could play catcher. Catcher's are much harder to fine. If the Red Sox went with Berkman you would be switch the names but your song would be the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mitch Moreland I think would be a nice pickup for Ells and a prospect.

Garrett Jones from the Pirates.

VMart.

Justin Morneau-will be a FA after 2013.

I think any of those guys could be had for Doubrount and a prospect or one of our catchers.

[/QUOTE]

Add to that list of possible Ib's Paul Goldschmidt from the D'Backs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mitch Moreland I think would be a nice pickup for Ells and a prospect.

Garrett Jones from the Pirates.

VMart.

Justin Morneau-will be a FA after 2013.

I think any of those guys could be had for Doubrount and a prospect or one of our catchers.

[/QUOTE]

Add to that list of possible Ib's Paul Goldschmidt from the D'Backs.

[/QUOTE]

yuuuup! i'd start with Morales and JBJ to land PG

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he meant Justin Smoak

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WE don't have a seasoned 1 b in the system. Smoak wold give us a pretty decent guy we could platoon with Gomez--or trade for Goldschmidt. Goldie would probably mean: Doubie, Boggie, Gomez, Holt and Webster for Goldie, Kubel and a prospect. That might get you those two guys which would solve our 1b and RF situation. That combo last year produced 50 HR's and over 150 RBI.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WE don't have a seasoned 1 b in the system. Smoak wold give us a pretty decent guy we could platoon with Gomez--or go with Gomez and try to trade for Goldschmidt. Goldie would probably mean: Doubie, Boggie, Gomez, Holt and Webster for Goldie, Kubel and a prospect.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Goldschmidt warrants a trade including Bogaerts. I would go with Morales and Brentz or Morales plus any two high-end prospects that are not the 4 B's.

If Bogaerts doesn't project to be a MLB SS, and the Sox keep WMB at third, then I would want to see Bogaerts at first.

I understand your logic about 1st and agree with it, but it is funny that Gomez isn't considered a viable option as a back-up. The guy won awards in AAA. What more does he need to prove to be a MLB back-up 1st baseman?

Infield bench players would be Ciriaco and Gomez, even if we do sign Napoli. Heck, Gomez would still play at least 50-60 games given Napoli's attendence record. He coould also be used late in the game if a win is likely to save wear and tear on Napoli's hip.

In the meantime, have Bogaerts play a full season at 1st in Pawtucket.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Goldschmidt has proven he can hit in the majors.  He's young an controlled.

I dont think he's available for any price.  If he was , a package centered around Boegarts would not be enoughh.

Probably cost: Middlebrooks, Barnes, Workman, Jacobs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Smoke, mark my words.

What does this mean?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WE don't have a seasoned 1 b in the system. Smoak wold give us a pretty decent guy we could platoon with Gomez--or go with Gomez and try to trade for Goldschmidt. Goldie would probably mean: Doubie, Boggie, Gomez, Holt and Webster for Goldie, Kubel and a prospect.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Goldschmidt warrants a trade including Bogaerts. I would go with Morales and Brentz or Morales plus any two high-end prospects that are not the 4 B's.

[/QUOTE]

I can understand not wanting to part w Boegarts; however, you would get laughed at offering this package.  They dont want to trade their 25 yr old superstar.  Your offer of a middle aged RP and non-ranked prospect certainly wont get their attention.

D'Arnaud is a much better prospect than Boegarts and it took him + another top prospect for 1 yr of a 38 yr old pitcher.

Goldschmidt is 25 and will make < 1M next year.  You;d have to blow them out of the water.

Bogerts, Morales, and Brentz isnt even enough.  Not saying I would offer this, just saying that if we did, they;d say no.

Sections
Shortcuts