What Is the Biggest Area of Concern for the Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What Is the Biggest Area of Concern for the Red Sox?

NESN:
    After helping fans forget about their rocky start to the season with a recent hot streak of eight wins in nine contests (that included a a five-game winning streak), the Red Sox have stumbled a bit in Baltimore against the Orioles.

The Sox came within one game of reaching the .500 mark after finishing off the Angels with a four-game sweep on the West Coast, but as of Thursday morning, the crew fell to 10-13 and four games out of first place.

Some of those old flaws that Red Sox Nation witnessed at the beginning of the season are starting to resurface, but if you could pinpoint one main area of concern, what would it be?

What is the biggest area of concern for the Red Sox?
    On-base percentage
    Hitting with runners in scoring position
    Inconsistency from bullpen
    Performance on the road
    Other

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What Is the Biggest Area of Concern for the Red Sox?

Losing games.  I think the starters, bullpen, lineup, and bench would all be better if the Sox would just win every game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

The hitters have track records, they'll be fine.
    Bullpen will work itself out, there is plenty of depth left at AAA.
    They look pretty good on the raod to me lately.

other -- /> bingo! catcher. We still have no idea whether Saltalamacchia will work out or not, though the early returns don't look great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well the one that is most glaring on that list IMO is hitting with RISP. That tends to even itself out over 162 games but in April the RS have left a ton of runners on.  Run production neutralizes runs allowed, the Rs haven't done that often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The same areas of concern that Theo did nothing about:

1. Catcher
    2. slugging young corner RH Of"er (more importantly for 2012 and long term)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: What Is the Biggest Area of Concern for the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]The same areas of concern that Theo did nothing about: 1. Catcher 2. slugging young corner RH Of"er (more importantly for 2012 and long term)
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Any names of slugging young RH corner of'ers that could be pursued for 2012? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Clutch hitting is my big concern. It's been an ongoing problem all season. I think it will come around, but I'll breathe easier once it does.

Hopefully it will be soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

No, there are no slugging young RH corner OF'ers that could be pursued by trade or FA for 2012. Crawford or Werth was the only option, and they aren't MLB young anyway.....................

That's sarcsam. There are NL teams who have young corner RH OF decent sluggers. Corey Hart, just to name one. I won't mention Matt Holiday. Matt Kemp. Don't be obtuse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Bobby Jenks (6-4, 275) is awfully big (as is his 7.36 ERA).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]No, there are no slugging young RH corner OF'ers that could be pursued by trade or FA for 2012. Crawford or Werth was the only option, and they aren't MLB young anyway..................... That's sarcsam. There are NL teams who have young corner RH OF decent sluggers. Corey Hart, just to name one. I won't mention Matt Holiday. Matt Kemp. Don't be obtuse.

Seriously I wasn't being obtuse, just haven't looked into it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbev97. Show kbev97's posts

[QUOTE]Clutch hitting is my big concern. It's been an ongoing problem all season. I think it will come around, but I'll breathe easier once it does. Hopefully it will be soon.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Great point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Hfx,

OK, when you do look into it, add J. Upton to your study.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The high cost of sunflower seeds.
    Aside from that, I'd have to say lack of timely hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The biggest concern, and this time I'm being straightforward, is the W-L record.  Going 0-6 to start the season has made things tougher.

But right now it sure looks like a better team is emerging.  The hitting isn't nearly as good as it can be, but it's getting better.  No way Crawford will stay in that slump.  After him, the only real hole is catcher, and I can live with that if they pitching stays good. 

Youk is one of my favorites--of course--but this year he has been horrible with a guy on third and one or no outs.  In previous years he would almost always get that runner home.  This year he strikes out in that situation.  He's done it at least three times.  Maybe those five dingers in April are going to his head. 

Bullpen is a little suspect, but I like the ingredients (even Wake).  Starting pitching could turn out to be much better than I expected (given last season's debacle).  The Sox team ERA is near the middle of the pack, whereas three weeks ago it was dead last by about 2 runs per game. 

Sox have the best fielding percentage in the AL.  That doesn't mean the best defense, but it's still good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Issues like lack of hitting with RISP are things that are troubling, but also very ephemoral.  Those numbers will come around.  And they are hard to even pin down.  Like how is it that one of the leagues's worst RISP hitting teams can also be at the very top of the league in 2-out RBIs.  Strange statistics.

Of the issues that I think won't work themselves out as guys get into grooves, I'd say the glaring problem is catching.  Salty will have to suddenly discover himself to fix this problem, and the Rangers waited for years for that magic moment and it is difficult to see it happening now.  That being said, I am not on the inside, so maybe he is closer to breakthrough than he looks to us fans.  But that is my biggest concern, because if the magic moment doesn't arrive, the club does not have any potential in-house remedies (besides farm kids who are surely not ready) and the outside remedies aren't exactly exciting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I think this team is going to do well with the starting pitching they have been getting of late.

Biggest concern? That would be Tim Wakefield's waistline...................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I think this team is going to do well with the starting pitching they have been getting of late. Biggest concern? That would be Tim Wakefield's waistline...................

Perhaps some non-fat miracle whip in that potato salad, eh GM?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

How about Jed Lowrie elite MLB SS for less tired days off?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Good sense of humor, Space. Any chance Lowrie might need less days off with a little shot of Geritol or HGH? Lowrie should know that his MLBPA has made sure there is no testing for HGH, so either one might help him from getting tired all the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Iglesias should be given the role of UIF, coming in for Scutaro on a regular basis in late innings in close games. He should get selected starts that take Scutaro's total games down in the 130's. Development is not adversely affected if the player's role and expectations are understudy and in smaller doses to allow the player to adjust to the top level of play. ...  Lowrie is coming off of a potemkin flash snipet year and should already have been tradeed and sold high. Posted by Softlaw1AA March 6, 2011

Hall is a much more valuable player than Lowrie, because he's a far superior athlete who saves a roster spot by being able to play the IF and a corner OF. Letting the clock tick on Lowrie is a mistake.  Theo will wait and eventually sell low.Posted by Softlaw Jan 2011

1Kosuke FukudomeCHC50423100200126.460.565.4801.045
    2Matt HollidaySTL67182970316011313.433.542.6721.214
    3Lance BerkmanSTL8322348082202911.410.467.7951.263
    4Jed LowrieBOS6013244031201310.400.422.6171.039

Iglesias    2BB  14K     .545OPS
    Hall         5BB  28K      .624OPS

Minors: LHH      .835 OPS     18 % Line drive rate      963 AB 
                RHH     .802 OPS          13% LDR               421 AB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I can't speak for Softlaw, but isn't April a little early to be posting Lowrie stats? Anyone have his career numbers vs. RHP? Anyone have the scouting report on his SS defense?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I can't speak for Softlaw, but isn't April a little early to be posting Lowrie stats? Anyone have his career numbers vs. RHP? Anyone have the scouting report on his SS defense?

A very good point.  We should, perhaps, be using the May/June/July/Aug/Sep 2011 stats? 

You are so two-faced.  If Lowrie had an OPS of, say, .600 for the month of April, you would already have started five different threads highlighting that stat. 

Lowrie will probably come back to earth, but I'm beginning to believe that will be an OPS of around .900.  He can hit. 

I would love to see Iglesias at SS for the sheer pleasure of watching him make plays, but he's not ready yet.  Meanwhile, a SS with an OPS of over 1.000 who actually scores and bats in runs--as J.D. Drew doesn't do--is a pretty nice briar patch to get thrown into. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I would have to say without reservation, that the biggest concern is what it's always been. A manager who tries to please everyone and be their buddy.
    No way should Scutaro have started over Lowrie last night, and Papi needs to sit a few games as DH. Yeah, he is getting some hits, but lately just singles, and that's not what he's paid to do.
    If the RS are not going to play Cameron for Drew, they need to release him and find another, younger, RH bat with power for the OF. I bet they could pick up Jermaine Dye for peanuts right now. Not much younger but still has pop. Jose Guillen is also available if I'm not mistaken.
    The catching situation is absolutely abysmal. Varitek needs to retire and Saltalmacchia belongs in AAA. Sign Benjie Molina and bring up Wagner as back-up. This is a no-brainer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to What Is the Biggest Area of Concern for the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]NESN: After helping fans forget about their rocky start to the season with a recent hot streak of eight wins in nine contests (that included a a five-game winning streak), the Red Sox have stumbled a bit in Baltimore against the Orioles. The Sox came within one game of reaching the .500 mark after finishing off the Angels with a four-game sweep on the West Coast, but as of Thursday morning, the crew fell to 10-13 and four games out of first place. Some of those old flaws that Red Sox Nation witnessed at the beginning of the season are starting to resurface, but if you could pinpoint one main area of concern, what would it be?What is the biggest area of concern for the Red Sox? On-base percentage Hitting with runners in scoring position Inconsistency from bullpen Performance on the road Other
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

#1 Lack of consistency moving runners across the plate

#2 Little to no offense from the catching position
    2006, 2008, 2009, half of 2010 and again in 2012.  Too much loyalty to Varitek, any number of new catchers who play 10 plus years should be able to call a good game so enough with the nonsense.  Jason had a couple decent OPS years during this period that are very misleading if you look at the BA and OBP's.

To give Jason as much or more playing time as "Salty" who was supposed to get a fighting chance at being our starter is an insult to Salty and flat our embarrassing.  FIND A REAL CATCHER!

#3 Daniel Bard "quite puzzling so far"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I would have to say without reservation, that the biggest concern is what it's always been. A manager who tries to please everyone and be their buddy. No way should Scutaro have started over Lowrie last night, and Papi needs to sit a few games as DH. Yeah, he is getting some hits, but lately just singles, and that's not what he's paid to do. If the RS are not going to play Cameron for Drew, they need to release him and find another, younger, RH bat with power for the OF. I bet they could pick up Jermaine Dye for peanuts right now. Not much younger but still has pop. Jose Guillen is also available if I'm not mistaken. The catching situation is absolutely abysmal. Varitek needs to retire and Saltalmacchia belongs in AAA. Sign Benjie Molina and bring up Wagner as back-up. This is a no-brainer.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Not to Bob Beale:  actually, good hitting doesn't usually beat good pitching. 

Scutaro is a better fielder than Lowrie, even though I prefer Lowrie to play most days. 

No one on the bench is as good a hitter as Ortiz, whose OPS right now is .817, so who did you plan to use as the DH?  Don't say Youk because he starts anyway.  Cameron and McDonald have OPS's 300 to 500 points below Ortiz's. 

Replacing Cameron is not Francona's job.

Getting another catcher is also not Francona's job.  But right now I'm not so sure a new guy is the answer.  The pitching ain't half bad these days, and most teams employ weak-hitting catchers.  Last night Salty drove in a run and caught pretty well--Lester went 8 innings and gave up 2 runs.