What is the point of playing Will Middlebrooks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

What is the point of playing Will Middlebrooks?

Middlebrooks is a bum. We all know that by now. He is down to .176/.536 this year; last year he "gave us" .229/.696. He was great the first year, but since then he has absolutely stunk up the place. He has 777 career appearances  and is at .243/.726 despite hitting .288/.835 his first year.

Its time to send him down to Pawtucket or release him and bring up someone for the last six weeks to see if they can be considered for the 3B job next year. Middlebrooks is washed up, if indeed he ever had it. I would rather see Betts or Cecchini or someone else giving it a try. 

What say you?

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: What is the point of playing Will Middlebrooks?

All I can figure is that the Sox are praying he gets on a hot streak, so they can convince somebody that his woes were do to that "injury," thus pumping up his deflated / now non-existent trade value????

They also must be gun shy over deflating another kid by bringing them up too soon, & having them shipp the bed also.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

He doesn't cost much.

IF I CARED MORE, MY POST WOULD BE LONGER.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Cheap labor bro 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

same as webster. showcase for a trade. maybe middlebrooks just has tired legs? remember what wade boggs said. it can make you tired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If they let him keep making a fool of himself out there then they deprive a more worthy candidate for 3B next year to have a tryout when the games mean nothing. Its a poor strategy to keep playing someone you know is history after this year and then have tryouts during the regular season next year. That is, unless they plan to acquire a 3B during the offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He is absolutely lost at the plate.  Not sure his trade value could be any lower. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is absolutely lost at the plate.  Not sure his trade value could be any lower. 

[/QUOTE]

No one is talking about trading him. I would either release him or send him on a one way ticket to Pawtucket. He is taking up space, depriving perhaps Cecchini or Betts from a chance to show what they have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you throw in his wife, the SOX might get a single A prospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

He's un-tradeable.  Has been since May.  They know it.  He's playing because they want to give Bogaerts ample playing time at SS imo.

Middlebrooks is simply fill in at 3B for this season.  He's destined to become the Mark Reynolds of AAA and may carve out a good career playing that role.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one is talking about trading him. I would either release him or send him on a one way ticket to Pawtucket. He is taking up space, depriving perhaps Cecchini or Betts from a chance to show what they have.

[/QUOTE]

I get sending him down but releasing a young player that you have control of with otions would be dumb. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you throw in his wife, the SOX might get a single A prospect.

[/QUOTE]

Take out Middlebrooks, you'll get a Double AA prospect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"No one is talking about trading him."

hanging out in the manager's suite or something? 

I realize it's a long shot but why not try to pump up his trade value? 

It's at least a reasonable explanation for why he is in there. 

I don't feel strongly about it myself but it does give one credible explanation. 

Another is that they are hoping he plays badly and they lose a few extra games for better draft position. 

I think both those answers have some merit in terms of playing him right now

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Middlebrooks has missed a lot of time with injuries so it's possible that has been part of his problems at the plate.  They're giving him a shot to see if that's the case. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is a bum. We all know that by now. He is down to .176/.536 this year; last year he "gave us" .229/.696. He was great the first year, but since then he has absolutely stunk up the place. He has 777 career appearances  and is at .243/.726 despite hitting .288/.835 his first year.

Its time to send him down to Pawtucket or release him and bring up someone for the last six weeks to see if they can be considered for the 3B job next year. Middlebrooks is washed up, if indeed he ever had it. I would rather see Betts or Cecchini or someone else giving it a try. 

What say you?

[/QUOTE]Because , he is the PROPERTY of Jenny, JENNY DELL !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of pointless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The explanation is the same as it has been since the days of the cavemen.  You gotta see if he can hunt.  You're not really depriving anyone of a spot, because the only one we have in the system that is a candidate for 3rd is probably Holt.  And we know what he can do.  There is no harm in letting him play out, and some small chance it'll finally sink into him.

And before we see the next thread, yes, that is what we are doing with JBJ, XBo, Holt, Webster, Ranaudo, DLR, and to a lesser extent, Buchholz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He is untradeable because he has played so poorly and been hurt so often.

He probably will be in Ft Myers next spring - so may as well play him.

Defense.  It is still important.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

IMHO he's being played because

1) This team is going nowhere.

2) This team NEEDS a RH power-hitting 3B.

2) WMB has shown signs of being that in the past.

3) The FO is hoping and praying that WMB finds his game again.

4) Right now there's no other good viable option.

I didn't say it was a GOOD reason, just that it's a reason. 

His upside is so big that they can't walk away from it without being as sure as they can be that he'll never realize that potential.  I see him playing 3B for the remainder of the season and how he does will dictate whether there's a trade made for a 3B over the winter.  

Unless they decide to go with Holt at 3B, which is a whole 'nother story.

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

...and continuing with that thought... 

I don't think I said anything everyone doesn't already know.  We just need to get used to it. :-(

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMHO he's being played because

1) This team is going nowhere.

2) This team NEEDS a RH power-hitting 3B.

2) WMB has shown signs of being that in the past.

3) The FO is hoping and praying that WMB finds his game again.

4) Right now there's no other good viable option.

I didn't say it was a GOOD reason, just that it's a reason. 

His upside is so big that they can't walk away from it without being as sure as they can be that he'll never realize that potential.  I see him playing 3B for the remainder of the season and how he does will dictate whether there's a trade made for a 3B over the winter.  

Unless they decide to go with Holt at 3B, which is a whole 'nother story.

[/QUOTE]

agreed and there's no reason 2 right now

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

At some point, it is possible Holt should be considered for the 3B spot next season.  At least to start the year.  He has earned something...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I can figure is that the Sox are praying he gets on a hot streak, so they can convince somebody that his woes were do to that "injury," thus pumping up his deflated / now non-existent trade value????

They also must be gun shy over deflating another kid by bringing them up too soon, & having them shipp the bed also.......

[/QUOTE]

He's not going to. It's been over two years since he's done anything.

Sections
Shortcuts