What is the story behind your moniker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: What is the story behind your moniker?

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

37stories I am so out of date that I probably am headed for Ri-Rahs. I used to live right on the corner of the East End where it looks out onto the fort.... Corner of Morning and East Promenade... also lived in Back Bay Towers for a year, loved it there...

I live on North and Montreal not far at all from where you were. Rira is still there. Shoot me a message if you are around and I will meet you out for one. We can get hammered and make fun of Bill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

About time for a new image.

That certainly looks like the cover of the LYRE'S album. Very cool. Btw, based on your moniker, you should check out a band called THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS. There a retro band with a slew of cd's reflecting music of the mid and late 60's. Take my word, they're fabulous.

I have seen the Chesterfield Kings play a couple of times back in the day.

Lucky Guy; I think they do 60's garage better than anyone. TRANSPARENT LIFE is f'ing awesome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Love the original dirtdogs, Trott Nixon!!!  I could not lump most of the 2013 teamin with him...  I just love a Charlie Hustle type guy, who may be short on natural ability, but makes up for it with "true grit!"  Pedey is the current king of Dirtdogdom!  Still the most under-rated player in the mlb!!!!

As for the picture.....  not from money, but we always spent 2 - 3 weeks on the Cape each summer growing up.  I will make it back some day for good, as I am currently living in exile in Oregon.  the folks retired on the Cape, & I go back every summer, just as I did as a kid.  Happy Days!

My ex sucked the life out of my Sox!  My hot young wife made it a honeymoon!  Literally!  

Now that's something we have in commmon, I love the cape!  Spent many happy summer days on that amazing strip of land.  Martha's Vinyard is another personal favorite.

I'll be on the cape this summer to celebrate my mother in law's 80th birthday.  I am soooo looking forward to it.

We spend our vacations at myrtle beach.  Nice place but there is no place like cape cod!

YES, Myrtle Beach back in the early 1980's during spring vaca when the kids were small....... Staying at the camp grounds with 5 or 6 other families.......  Beach during the day with 2 hours of basketball starting @ 4:00PM........ Then the adult get togethers while the kids played !!   "Those were the days my friend, thought they would never end"  !!!

Sounds like great times bill.  We started going to myrtle beach in the early 90's with our kids.  Next week we will be there with our granddaughter.  Where did all those years go!!!

Have either of yous been to FIRE ISLAND?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Pretty boring: Of course, it comes  from the movie "Say Anything." Girl friend of mine at the time said I reminded her of Lloyd Dobler, so the "Dobler" nickname took off. No matter how much I tried to stop it. For some reason, spur of the moment, I used it when I registered here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I started a thread like this a couple years back. Mine has to do with my job, and the dog was called Biskitt. The picture is one I took from the top of the stairs. The eyes were glowing already, but I photoshopped them to glow more because In thought it was funny, and it fit my posting style. She died in Jan. of 2010, so the avatar is also a tribute. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

do i really need to elaborate?? :-D :-)

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes, because we just aren't getting it jete........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

It's a tribute to a Sox player that always played hard, despite not being the most talented. It's the way I played when I was doing competitve (ahem) basketball and softball. The spelling also means that when posters are acting stupid; You-Kill-Us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Satan worshiper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

do i really need to elaborate?? :-D :-)

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes, because we just aren't getting it jete........

LOL..hey Exam!!..miss you on the chat..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

My moniker is a play on a nickname I've had since High School. As far as where the nickname came from..? Well..there was this one time...at Band camp..in Montreal...................

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

ROFL!  I prefer to re-hash the great snakeoil vs softlaw battles.... you were the only one to really get under his skin ..... deep.

I miss him man. He was a worthy foe. But yes I did figure out how to push his buttons. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning and try to see how long it would take before I made him flip his lid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

ROFL!  I prefer to re-hash the great snakeoil vs softlaw battles.... you were the only one to really get under his skin ..... deep.

I miss him man. He was a worthy foe. But yes I did figure out how to push his buttons. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning and try to see how long it would take before I made him flip his lid.

"Worthy?"  Worthy of much scorn & ridicule.   ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I wrote a book and 37 stories is part of the title.  

Based on the majority of your posts i bet your book & short stories are humorous and witty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE

I got the idea for this thread because 37stories got me interested in wondering what that name was about, if anything

I wrote a book and 37 stories is part of the title.  I make my money, what little of it there is,  ghostwriting and editing and I have a few books of short stories published.  When I am on here it means I am screwing off in a big way.

I used to be Snakeoil. That didn't get banned I just started using this one because I enjoy confusing people. I never post on more than one account at a time, but I do switch it up every few years.

Where are you going to be in Maine? I am in Portland, on the East End, which has probably changed a lot since you were around. There are a couple bars around this way if you find yourself in the area.

I would love to read some of your writings. I bet it would be filled with the sarcasm and witty humor you have in your posting style. I enjoyed, and even miss the "battles" you had with softy. He had finally met his match. Good stuff.

Ill be up in Portland, like I am every summer since Ive moved back. Spend the day, get some good food, drink a few brews, and take in a few Seadogs games. Always a good time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

My moniker goes back to when I was a huey crew member. Hammer was nick name. 29r was part of my call sign.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Lloyd John Cusack has had some solid movies no?

Indeed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

My moniker goes back to when I was a huey crew member. Hammer was nick name. 29r was part of my call sign.

Hamma,  You are a very interesting guy, I have always enjoyed your posts & wisdom ..... BTW,  Did you evaaa meet "CALL SIGN CHARLIE " ?????  Mybe not, she was played by Kelly Mcgillis in the movie  TOP GUN with Tom Cruise !!!

yeah, Aceves has nothing on him <sarc> :-)

Hamma,  You are a very interesting guy, I have always enjoyed your posts & wisdom ..... BTW,  Did you evaaa meet "CALL SIGN CHARLIE " ?????  Mybe not, she was played by Kelly Mcgillis in the movie  TOP GUN with Tom Cruise !!!

Thanks Bill. I appreciate your kind words old friend. I got a chuckle when you said your handle was classified. lol.
    never realized that the 806 was a classified tin can. however, that said, I salute you for having the stones to join the navy when you were only 17 years old.....and I'd have a beer with you anytime.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Steven is my nephew who I took  to numerous baseball games at each MLB level including a few spring trainings when he was growing up.  I coached several of his little league seasons as well.

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Copied & pasted from my profile if you haven't seen it!

Born Portland, Maine. Spent 21 years in New England. Catholic schools-Priests asked if I got the calling (to be a priest)but instead got the calling for the draft so chose(USMC). Lifelong Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Patriots fan. Been in the other BAY AREA past 45 years(SF) and as there is a rivalry similar to NY-Boston with SF and LA, the sports bars here in No. Cal. have fans rooting for us as if I were in Boston. Still go to New England once-twice per year to visit family---extremely partial to better seafood on East Coast & better sports fans as here they are more fair weather. Had a great run though with Joe Montana/Steve Young & 49ers and recently the SF Giants 2 World Series victories and now the Warriors to hopefully, along with the Clippers, keep the Lakers out of the playoffs. Remember Wrigley's Spearment Gum Ad ? Double your pleasure, double your fun. I get almost as much pleasure watching Yankees lose as I do watching the Sox win and ditto for the Celtics winning & Lakers losing !!! When Sox & Celtics don't play NY & LA, I root for any team that does!

semper fi devildog! not a bad choice joining uncle sam's misguided children. lol. I take it you were 0300 if you were drafted. I also hope you weren't in country during tet 68.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Born Portland, Maine. Spent 21 years in New England. Catholic schools-Priests asked if I got the calling (to be a priest)but instead got the calling for the draft so chose(USMC). Lifelong Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Patriots fan. Been in the other BAY AREA past 45 years(SF) and as there is a rivalry similar to NY-Boston with SF and LA, the sports bars here in No. Cal. have fans rooting for us as if I were in Boston. Still go to New England once-twice per year to visit family---extremely partial to better seafood on East Coast & better sports fans as here they are more fair weather. Had a great run though with Joe Montana/Steve Young & 49ers and recently the SF Giants 2 World Series victories and now the Warriors to hopefully, along with the Clippers, keep the Lakers out of the playoffs. Remember Wrigley's Spearment Gum Ad ? Double your pleasure, double your fun. I get almost as much pleasure watching Yankees lose as I do watching the Sox win and ditto for the Celtics winning & Lakers losing !!! When Sox & Celtics don't play NY & LA, I root for any team that does!

semper fi devildog! not a bad choice joining uncle sam's misguided children. lol. I take it you were 0300 if you were drafted. I also hope you weren't in country during tet 68.

Irrespective of one's MOS, all Marines are trained, cooks, doctors, lawyers, pilots etc. to be foot soldiers aka Grunts & you re correct most are 03s. I was lucky as I avoided the worst part of the war the late 60s/early 70s but I did see combat action as an Advisor to the Vietnamese troops(ARVN---army of the republic) in engagements on various hilltops against the VietCong in the Que Son Valley area( not to be confused with Khe Sahn in NW South Vietnam where many Marines lost their lives in fierce battles as I said in 1969 early 70s ), Tam ky, Thang-binh, Hiep duc, Tuan duong. These battle sites had hill #s(numbers). I flew into Da Nang on a C-130 and fortunately in one piece flew out on that troop carrier. Viet Nam was a horrible war in that when we returned home there was little celebration and many time we were spit at. Troops today from Iraq & Afghan get heroes welcomes. I say today, irrespective of one’s political differences, respect our troops because they are the real heroes and I, reiterate, we had to go…it was our obligation…so why were we treated so miserably by many civilians at home. Mea Culpa, sorry, I’m way off tangent here. Viet Nam is an experience I’d like to forget but thank you for supporting the troops, as much heroes as our beloved Boston teams' athletes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I think we may have done a thread like this before....

BurritoT - it stemmed from my past days when I attended UMO and owned/operated a burrito stand on Old Orchard Beach Pier... the "T" simply comes from the first letter in my last name....

Enchilada and Fajita were simple off-shoots .... 

RigatoniT came out of the hinger in my belly for food back home... I have not been in the United States since 2009... and I so miss Chicken Parm, Meatball Subs, and such that I often find myself googling images of those foods. Pathetic? You bet!

I finally am flying home in June for 4 weeks.... and the first thing I am going to do is go to Amato's in Maine and get a Ham/Cheese/Pickle italian sub with light pepper and oil.

Man I miss home.

I used to go to Amatos in the 40s & 50s when they were $.25 each in the 40s and lined up over each other, maybe 100 or so,  already pre-made, and when you order, they would then dribble the olive oil on it. People took them as they were made with all ingredients as Amatos didn't have time to make them to order. Amazing that in no other part of New England could I find anything similar. I guess Subway or ToGos are similar today and this is what I have in Cal when I get nostalgic but no one has the bread that makes a huge difference.

By the way, l have family in New England and come back once per year for better seafood. In the Old Port,  I used to like DeMillo’s but too touristy but I love Street & Co….you can smell the garlic for blocks away…and Piaciarino, family from Milano, makes great pasta.

Regarding Old Orchard beach, there were no Burrito/Taco Mexican food outlets in the 40s & 50s but I remember fondly "Fried Dough" and the French Canadians loved their french fries not with catsup, but white vinegar.

Irrespective of one's MOS, all Marines are trained, cooks, doctors, lawyers, pilots etc. to be foot soldiers aka Grunts & you re correct most are 03s. I was lucky as I avoided the worst part of the war the late 60s/early 70s but I did see combat action as an Advisor to the Vietnamese troops(ARVN---army of the republic) in engagements on various hilltops against the VietCong in the Que Son Valley area( not to be confused with Khe Sahn in NW South Vietnam where many Marines lost their lives in fierce battles as I said in 1969 early 70s ), Tam ky, Thang-binh, Hiep duc, Tuan duong. These battle sites had hill #s(numbers). I flew into Da Nang on a C-130 and fortunately in one piece flew out on that troop carrier. Viet Nam was a horrible war in that when we returned home there was little celebration and many time we were spit at. Troops today from Iraq & Afghan get heroes welcomes. I say today, irrespective of one’s political differences, respect our troops because they are the real heroes and I, reiterate, we had to go…it was our obligation…so why were we treated so miserably by many civilians at home. Mea Culpa, sorry, I’m way off tangent here. Viet Nam is an experience I’d like to forget but thank you for supporting the troops, as much heroes as our beloved Boston teams' athletes.

I'm with you bro. welcome home.

70-71 Camp Eagle, south viet-nam

101st aviation Bn 101st airborne div.

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts