What is the trade value of Bard & Aceves?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

What is the trade value of Bard & Aceves?

Neither has a clearly defined role on next years team and both would mostly likely benefit from a change of scenery. What are some of your thoughts on should we trade them ? What kind of return could we get back for either of them?

I personally think that each of them could bring back a mid-level prospect(#5-#10 in their organization) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: What is the trade value of Bard & Aceves?

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Neither has a clearly defined role on next years team and both would mostly likely benefit from a change of scenery. What are some of your thoughts on should we trade them ? What kind of return could we get back for either of them?

I personally think that each of them could bring back a mid-level prospect(#5-#10 in their organization) 

[/QUOTE]

bards stock is rock bottom right now. we wouldnt get squat if we moved him now. he imploded in a firey ball of humilliation and never recovered. theres no telling if he will ever be the same again. a GM might bite for him but that would be a huge gamble on his part. bard is better off with us for now..

aceves could be moved but his versatility and skill as a pitcher makes him valuable to our team. it depends on the deal wether i would move him or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, I think you have to get Bard right again before thats even considered. If he does "get right" again, Bard could have much more value at the trade deadline.

Aceves is not untouchable I imagine for the right deal. Yes, he has value to the Sox giving them versatility in the pen or in the rotation. Which is why he will have value to some other team thats willing to part with something that we need.

But unless its something of good value, I keep him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think Bard will be OK and back to be a dominant 8th inning set up man this year, under Farrell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Aceves value is dependent on he and he alone (on the field he's gold, off the field he's a pain in the azzz)...Bard has little and it's on him to show that he can still be a dominant late innings reliever...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Bard = Fungo bat in a trade.

But he could eaily rebound because he is gifted physically - so teh Sox might get lucky in NOT being able to trade him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Move them both....... For what I don't know.....  Aceves has the most value and Bard is a reclamanation project......  they both need to go !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd keep both.

As everyone else has mentioned Bard's value is about -0-.  I'd even tell the guy, get your FB back to 99 in AAA, and we'll send you elsewhere for a fresh start.

IRT to Aceves, he was the best long man in BB in 2 of the past 4 years.  A guy that can come out of the BP and throw 3 shutout innings is almost impossible to replace.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Aceves has pitched well for the sox and got thrown into closing.  His only negative was arguing with the manager - but the Sox already solved that problem.

Aceves is an outside chance for #5 starter - he earned that role last spring but didn't get the nod.

I think Bard can still rebound and be productive in spots - he won;t have to close or pitch the 8th since we have Hanrahan, Bailey, and Uhera

In fact we have the best situation for Bard.  Make him the Pawtucket closer and see what happens

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bard has options left.  The Sox do have an abundance of RP, but Aceves might be better retained over one of the LHRP.  (Miller?)

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Based on Wins Above Replacement, last season FanGraphs valued Alfredo Aceves at $1.7 million and Daniel Bard at a negative $1.7 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

One could argue that Aceves and Bard collectively have no value to a team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aceves is an important part of the team if he's happy.  The problem is when he isn't he's a liability and with the split personality thing its tough to call.  Bard's problem is similar to Clays when he first arrived, had success then lost confidence.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Keep both Bard and Aceves for now.  Bard needs to be in the bullpen. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Aceves is a really valuable guy to have on your team.  I wouldn't blame him too much for openly showing that he thought Bobby V was an idiot.  Mostly because Bobby V was in fact an idiot.

As I am sure all recall Aceves was a good soldier in 2011 under Francona.

I don't think Bard will even make the team next year but he has no value in a trade at all at this point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think the Hanrahan deal points out that value to a team does not necessarily depend on what happened last season.  If there is a team out there that coveted Bard in the past (highly probable), and thinks it can straighten him out (highly probable, as well) then the Sox might be able to use him as a piece in a trade for a player the receiving team deems expendable, say a Jason Kubel type.

That said.  I like the idea of putting Bard at Pawtucket, or even Portland to start out the season as the closer and let him work his way back.

As for Aceves, I am more in line with the "trade him for a yellow dog and shoot the dog" line of thinking than that he is anywhere near gold.  I would trade him for any team's top 10 prospect all week long and twice on Sundays, especially if said prospect payed 1B and hit with power.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

As I've mentioned about a million times already, the Sox had a beautifully running clock in Bard until himself, his agent and the Sox became  greedy with stars in their eyes hoping for the next Nolan Ryan. 

Well, Bard proved in the minors that he just wasn't cut out to be a starter.  So, they changed him to a reliever with great success.  Then, the 'big' experiment.....and,  we all know what happened.

In my humble opinion, the only hope for Bard, if any actually exists, is to start at AAA(reliever) with lots of communication between him and Farrell.  This would be an almost impossible task, but perhaps if Bard is 'thinking' that Farrell is watching video of him a lot and communicates extensively, maybe his confidence will return.  Otherwise, I unfortunately predict doom.

Aceves has a golden arm.  He kind of reminds me of Tavarez, who I really liked.

With all the BS last year on the team, it's not hard to understand how someone with an inherently fragile ego would 'go off'.  This, I think, is what happened to Aceves.

Aceves, under Ferrell calm conditions, would be a tremendous asset to the team..long relief, short relief, spot starter,....anywhere.  He's just too valuable to give up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Aceves refused to pitch for the NYY when things did not go his way, and that was a stable situation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Send Aceves and his inflated ego packing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Hanrahan deal points out that value to a team does not necessarily depend on what happened last season.  If there is a team out there that coveted Bard in the past (highly probable), and thinks it can straighten him out (highly probable, as well) then the Sox might be able to use him as a piece in a trade for a player the receiving team deems expendable, say a Jason Kubel type.

That said.  I like the idea of putting Bard at Pawtucket, or even Portland to start out the season as the closer and let him work his way back.

As for Aceves, I am more in line with the "trade him for a yellow dog and shoot the dog" line of thinking than that he is anywhere near gold.  I would trade him for any team's top 10 prospect all week long and twice on Sundays, especially if said prospect payed 1B and hit with power.

[/QUOTE]

I think anyone would trade Aceves for a any teams top ten prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Yes.  Well, I doubt Aceves would bring back a top 10 prospect from most teams (if any), but the OP suggested he might bring back a team's #5 - #10 prospect.  I'd be happy with the lower end of that spectrum and still think I got a steal.  The guy has talent, no doubt.  But he wears out his welcome wherever he goes.  And he has proven he cannot be a closer.  So he is a middle reliever or perhaps a #4 type starter, if given a chance.  And the Sox have better candidates for both, IMO.