What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?

Just wonderin'. Currently I'm loving the intensity that Reddick is playing with, he's bringing a good young spark to the team, and personally I want him to really start cutting into Drew's starts now, love Drew, but he's clearly faded, whereas Reddick is bringing youth to the team.

However, many people seem convinced that Reddick cannot be the answer to an underachieving right field because he is a left handed batter. I don't really get this. First off, to judge whether a player cannot play vs left handed pitchers, you should check his or her splits. J.D. throughout his career was weak against left handers. Reddick has no such reputation yet, due to no playing time.

But more importantly to me: The majority of pitchers are right handed, so being a left handed batter theoretically gives you an edge over the majority of pitchers, where being a righty gives you an edge over a minority of pitchers. Why are people so confused that a lefty-heavy lineup is such a disadvantage that we should trade away young talent for a Carlos Beltran?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?

It's the newest fad.
    Like Ipods and hula hoops.
    Next thing ya know, they'll be calling switch-hitters bi-batters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think the idea is to give Drew a hand in a platoon.  Essentially to replace the extremely poor perforamce the Sox are getting from Darnell McDonald.

If Reddick keeps hitting, he might shift to RF when Crawford returns, but only Francona knows for sure...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah. Let's bring back juicer Manny.
    Nobody has a flair for quitting like he does.

LH hitters are supposed to hit righties.
    Should they have replaced Yaz? He hit .244 vs. lefties: .692 OPS
    CAM didn't get it done. Live with it.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

16 mil for CAM for two years.
    I'll take CRAWBURY at 10 mil more.
    Cam had 105 PA's. You say that's not enough, yet you use Jake's similar sample vs. lefties to make a half-assed point.

I can think of a lot of players that could improve the team. But I'll leave the fantasy window-shopping to you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?:
    Cam wasn't given the opportunity to "get it done", but was only an expensive patch that Theo was stupid enough to sign and put out to pasture. Cam's doing alright with the Marlins. Cameron has an OBP of .370 and a 450 homer since joining the Marlins. Should they signed Crawford for 142M, instead of Rice? Crawbust isn't gettting it done, and it's not worth 26 million a year over the next two years. The Red Sox need a talented RH OF slugger, long term and makes them better right now. Live with that fact. Varitek will be kicked out baseball before the O's kiss his holey butt cheeks. Live with it.
    Posted by billbyboy

don't agree with everything billybyboy posts, but i'm 100% behind him when he
    connects theo with stupid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Acquiring a RHH to platoon with JD Drew is a questionable move on two counts. First, Drew isn't hitting RHP right now. Second, Drew will be gone after this year, so it would be a VERY short-term move.

Acquiring a RHH starting outfielder makes a little more sense. The idea is that if you have a mix of LHH and RHH in the outfield, you can rest your LHH against tough lefties and your RHH against tough righties. If they all bat lefty, then at most you will be resting one against any pitcher. (That said, you aren't likely to be resting Crawford or Ellsbury regularly regardless.)

I suspect people are also remembering the overblown pre-season fears that the lineup would end up "lefty heavy". That hasn't been an issue, since Ortiz has hit LHP very well this year. In the long term, the L/R balance of the lineup will eventually be addressed by replacing Ortiz with a RHH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Lets see what Reddick can do for more than a month before electing him into the HOF.  He's on a roll and that's great.  But there is no reason to expect him to continue to play at level far above what he did in AAA. 

As far a LH/RH goes. the Sox need balance in their line up.  The are heavy with lefties.  If AGon, Crawford, or Papi batted RH, then it wouldn't be an issue.  The only 2 guys that can bat RH with power are Pedroia and Youk.  After that, you have Salty/Tek, and Scutaro, who aren't known for their power or consistency.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: What is this fascination with a RH OF'er? : don't agree with everything billybyboy posts, but i'm 100% behind him when he connects theo with stupid.
    Posted by the_yazzer

Of course you doSealed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like to see what Reddick does given regular PT..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

God, another thread on the same subject.
    In case anybody hasn't noticed, the starting Sox outfield has about a third of the homers that Juan Bautista has all by himself.
    Cr-oh for-d's career high is 22, after never having hit 20 until last year. Ellsbury's high is 10, this year. Reddick is a flash in the pan, and Drew is finished. So, it's light years of the thunder of Rice, Lynn and Evans, or Yaz, Reggie Smith and Tony C.
    Little pop gun lefties of this year's team vs. balance and power of previous years. Anyone with any baseball sense would chose the latter.
    This team needs a stud right hand hitting RF. Period. And it ain't Josh Reddick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

there is nothing wrong with our current outfield -especially with JD on the bench...worry about the starting rotation - thats where it is going to fall apart if it does so

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Beat me to it Geo.

It would be nice to have more production out of RF and SS, I don't think it play too much against them if they have strong pitching.  I agree that this is where the Sox could fall apart in a hurry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

God, another thread on the same subject. In case anybody hasn't noticed, the starting Sox outfield has about a third of the homers that Juan Bautista has all by himself. Cr-oh for-d's career high is 22, after never having hit 20 until last year. Ellsbury's high is 10, this year. Reddick is a flash in the pan, and Drew is finished. So, it's light years of the thunder of Rice, Lynn and Evans, or Yaz, Reggie Smith and Tony C. Little pop gun lefties of this year's team vs. balance and power of previous years. Anyone with any baseball sense would chose the latter. This team needs a stud right hand hitting RF. Period. And it ain't Josh Reddick.
    Posted by tbrod

tbrod  best post of the day agree with you 100%

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Here's an interesting prospective from a Projo writer as to why it would be advantageous for the Sox to trade prospects for an impact player:

"The same evaluations will have to take place at every other position on the roster. Is there room for Luis Exposito with both Federowicz and Lavarnway nipping at his heels? Is there room for both Drew Sutton and Yamaico Navarro, especially if Marco Scutaro is retained to give Jose Iglesias more time? Is there room for Lars Anderson on the 40-man roster with Adrian Gonzalez blocking him?

For that reason, the Red Sox can afford -- and, indeed, might be wise -- to trade three or four high-level prospects for an impact player. Not only could that impact player help them win the World Series, but the trade could clear the 40-man-roster logjam and allow the Red Sox to retain some of the other prospects they've devoted so many resources to developing.

A trade of -- and this is purely hypothetical -- Anderson, Doubront, Lin and Tejeda might net a talented player from a team with a prospect cupboard that's almost bare. In past years, before the Red Sox built the farm system they enjoy now, such a move would have been potentially crippling going forward. This year, however, such a move might be just the move to help the Red Sox both now and in the future."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"A trade of -- and this is purely hypothetical -- Anderson, Doubront, Lin and Tejeda might net a talented player from a team with a prospect cupboard that's almost bare."

tbrod, if the Red Sox could get a quality player for those four, I'd jump on it. With the possible exception of Doubront, none of them are likely to have much of a major league career and none of them fit in the Red Sox plans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here's an interesting prospective from a Projo writer as to why it would be advantageous for the Sox to trade prospects for an impact player: "The same evaluations will have to take place at every other position on the roster. Is there room for Luis Exposito with both Federowicz and Lavarnway nipping at his heels? Is there room for both Drew Sutton and Yamaico Navarro, especially if Marco Scutaro is retained to give Jose Iglesias more time? Is there room for Lars Anderson on the 40-man roster with Adrian Gonzalez blocking him? For that reason, the Red Sox can afford -- and, indeed, might be wise -- to trade three or four high-level prospects for an impact player. Not only could that impact player help them win the World Series, but the trade could clear the 40-man-roster logjam and allow the Red Sox to retain some of the other prospects they've devoted so many resources to developing. A trade of -- and this is purely hypothetical -- Anderson, Doubront, Lin and Tejeda might net a talented player from a team with a prospect cupboard that's almost bare. In past years, before the Red Sox built the farm system they enjoy now, such a move would have been potentially crippling going forward. This year, however, such a move might be just the move to help the Red Sox both now and in the future."
    Posted by tbrod

Si senor, I think have hit thee nail on thee head!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Beltran is starting to make more and more sense.   You can clear some rule 5 guys blocked at certain positions, and pick up the compensation picks at the end of the year.  He has a no-trade and no-arbitration clause with the Mets, so he can only be traded to a team he wants to go to and he likes the idea of the Sox.  With that kind of leverage, the price won't be too high - maybe Lin and Anderson.

In the off-season you can try for a mega-deal like Upton, McCutchen or Hanley.  In the meantime you haven't messed much with a recipe that has been working - just replaced the a bad ingredient.

As much as I like our offense this year, I would be worried if facing Lee and Hamels in a best of seven.  Their strength is our weakness.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Has anyone noticed what a horrid year Hanley is having?
    The way the Phils locked down the Sox offense this year, I'd worry about all the lefties against Lee and Hamels.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Has anyone noticed what a horrid year Hanley is having? The way the Phils locked down the Sox offense this year, I'd worry about all the lefties against Lee and Hamels.
    Posted by tbrod

You mean when he was hurt?  Since coming off of the DL he has an OPS over .900 with 4 HR's and 4 SB's.  Funny what resting an injury can do.

I'm not advocating the Sox try to get him, but there was a reason for his slow start.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Ells on pace for 20+ homers. Oh yeah, I'll take that 'punch and Judy" all day long Troll.

Sections
Shortcuts