What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?

realistically there isn't much to worry about.  This Sox offense is the best if not one of the best VS. LHP in the majors

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

He sinderella, I've got more posts than you. I'll put my knowledge of the Sox since 1961 against yours anytime.
    Love when dooshes call people trolls because they don't agree with them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?:
    [QUOTE]Id like to see what Reddick does given regular PT..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

apparently Tito or Theo (whomever you believe is calling the shots on this team) does not agree with you, or me, about that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

After checking the #s the OP does have a point:

Runs scored MLB rank:

VS LHP            vs RHP

09         5th                  2nd
    10         4th                  4th
    11         1st                  1st

I would still prefer a Francoeur trade bringing his solid D and good numbers vs. LHP to the OF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I support Reddick 100% and hope the Sox stay with him.  But, the problem isn't that he is left handed.  Heck, to start off the season the Sox were going with Drew and he is lefthanded.

The problem that the Sox have with Reddick is their doubts on whether he can stay at this pace.  Or even at a pace that would be acceptable.  If the Sox had a chance to get Josh Hamilton do you think they would say "no" because he is left handed?  Of course not.

If Reddick wasn't batting .230 at Pawtucket this year and was an established OF'er, there would be no talk at all abouit requiring a RF'er.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to What is this fascination with a RH OF'er?:
    [QUOTE]Just wonderin'. Currently I'm loving the intensity that Reddick is playing with, he's bringing a good young spark to the team, and personally I want him to really start cutting into Drew's starts now, love Drew, but he's clearly faded, whereas Reddick is bringing youth to the team. However, many people seem convinced that Reddick cannot be the answer to an underachieving right field because he is a left handed batter. I don't really get this. First off, to judge whether a player cannot play vs left handed pitchers, you should check his or her splits. J.D. throughout his career was weak against left handers. Reddick has no such reputation yet, due to no playing time. But more importantly to me: The majority of pitchers are right handed, so being a left handed batter theoretically gives you an edge over the majority of pitchers, where being a righty gives you an edge over a minority of pitchers. Why are people so confused that a lefty-heavy lineup is such a disadvantage that we should trade away young talent for a Carlos Beltran?
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying and in theory it may be true. But RH hitters tend to hit RH pitching just as well as they hit LHP, simply because they see more RHP and are more used to it than LH hitters are in seeing LHP, because there are fewer.
    If there were more LHP than RHP, then RH hitters would have as tough a time hitting RHP as LH hitters do now against LHP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The Sox are 4th in OPS against LHP's this season and 1st against RHP's.

vs LHP's: .281/.357/.442 - .799 OPS
    vs RHP's: .277/.352/.463 - .815 OPS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Just wonderin'. Currently I'm loving the intensity that Reddick is playing with, he's bringing a good young spark to the team, and personally I want him to really start cutting into Drew's starts now, love Drew, but he's clearly faded, whereas Reddick is bringing youth to the team. However, many people seem convinced that Reddick cannot be the answer to an underachieving right field because he is a left handed batter. I don't really get this. First off, to judge whether a player cannot play vs left handed pitchers, you should check his or her splits. J.D. throughout his career was weak against left handers. Reddick has no such reputation yet, due to no playing time. But more importantly to me: The majority of pitchers are right handed, so being a left handed batter theoretically gives you an edge over the majority of pitchers, where being a righty gives you an edge over a minority of pitchers. Why are people so confused that a lefty-heavy lineup is such a disadvantage that we should trade away young talent for a Carlos Beltran?

I really don't Theo feel Theo thinks very highly of Reddick as our next RF.  He still plays sparingly and it seems all McD has to do to play again is to get one hit on any given night.  If Theo upgrades RF with another RH platoon guy I don't see the point unless we give up very little in return.  That's probably all we see before the trading deadline because Drew appears to be an untouchable.  This is unfortunate considering he has done nothing this season offensively and looks bad on almost every pitch he swings at these days.

I think hoping for a Drew streak, new SP, FT RF, or new SS may be too much wishful thinking. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]The point of 3 OF'ers and a 25 man active roster is not to have a bunch of LH OF'ers who are putting up terrible numbers v. LHP. The goal is to make a roster balanced to make it better. Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick, Kalish, perhaps you wanted a punch and judy lefty instead of Manny. Perhaps you would rather have Ellsbury and Crawford and Reddick and Kalish, instead of Kemp or Justin Upton. Why not make all players lefty players, since most pitchers are RH?
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

You just don't seem to want to face reality!  Ells is hitting great!!!  Reddick is hitting against LH pitching at about .500???   You keep going with the same old BS............................

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

We're going too much off of hokey-pokey rules of thumb when creating teams to say this teams needs a RH this year.

The afforementioned stats show that the Sox are among the top of the league against left handed pitching. People are freaking out because Philly whooped our butts, when our team was fairly injured, lacking a DH, and already on a losing streak.

Teams cannot be constructed to beat pitchers like Roy, or Lee because they are the best pitchers in baseball when they are on, they will beat you. But as Roy and Lee showed in the playoffs last year, they aren't always on. Our stats against LHP are just fine, any dealing of young excess talent (Lars Anderson comes specifically to mind) should be done with a better goal than a RH OF'er. Pitching support would be more substantial to this team.

If your response to this is "LH batters don't see the ball well from LHP'ers you're dumb, we need a RH batter" then you are a terrible armchair GM and I shall proceed to ignore your post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What is this fascination with a RH OF'er? : I see what you are saying and in theory it may be true. But RH hitters tend to hit RH pitching just as well as they hit LHP, simply because they see more RHP and are more used to it than LH hitters are in seeing LHP, because there are fewer. If there were more LHP than RHP, then RH hitters would have as tough a time hitting RHP as LH hitters do now against LHP.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

That's news to me. What do you base this on?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think righties generally do better vs RHPs than lefties do vs LHPs, but they certainly almost always have a significant disparity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That sounds more reasonable.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Francoeur vs LHP:

2011    .955
    2010    .805
    2009    .877

11:$2.5M, 12:$4M mutual option

27 yo

Above average in RF

KC 12 out

No brainer!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Look to the bright side we are still in first place and Drew is gone after the season so lets hope for the best.  First place may be short lived if we don't make a move before the deadline but look at the way we started the year compared to now.

We still have time to find help and make it to the WS where I believe this team should be if we can stay healthy at some point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox have inquired on San Diego outfielder Ryan Ludwick, according to this tweet from ESPN's Buster Olney:

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/92709759928631297

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

L.A. is NOT! going to take Ellsbury for Kemp...and that still leaves a hole in RF.

I like Francoeur, but I wouldn't want to overspend for him (nor anyone) If K.C. becomes sellers then the Sox should at least inquire.

I like Ludwick too, I think he is another product of Petco field that would hit much better in friendly fenway, and in a better protected lineup. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Ludwick played for years in St. Louis, where hitters have no problem.
    He's only been in S.D. for less than a year.
    Nice player and a former All-Star.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Really? Have you watched J.D. Drew tonight?

Rollout to 2nd
    K
    Rollout to 2nd

Something smells and his name is JD Drew

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No, you are dead wrong. You seem to think such a package is the only one to be offered. More attractive low-cost offers will over-ride paying Jake's arb years.
    Fool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]L.A. is NOT! going to take Ellsbury for Kemp...and that still leaves a hole in RF. Kemp for Ellsbury doesn't leave any hole in RF. Dodgers will take Ellsbury and Lowrie or Middlebrooks and Hassan or Brentz and Weiland or Doubrant. You are dead wrong.

I am dead wrong?

Ok well maybe theo will retire, the Sox will HIRE YOU!!! and then you can make the trade and I will be DEAD WRONG! even then....L.A. has to want to make the trade....how does that saying go...it takes two to Tango. 

Otherwise....as I've been saying...It ain't ganna happen. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Francoeur .835 career OPS v. LHP, not the answer. career .947 OPS is the answer.

You are missing the point (no surprise).

Getting an .835 OPS vs LHPs in Francoeur would cost us very little. We can have him and Ellsbury.

Getting Kemp would still leave us with issues vs LHPs with Drew or DMac still playing.

It's more like...
     1.4 years of Kemp and DMac (no Lowrie)
    vs
     2.4 years of Ellsbury and Fancoeur plus more cash to spend elsewhere
     (plus whatever we can get for Lowrie in a seperate deal)

Sections
Shortcuts