What is your 2012 Projected lineup/starters?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Re: What is your 2012 Projected lineup/starters?

In Response to Re: What is your 2012 Projected lineup/starters?:
    [QUOTE]Why keep Bedard if you get Wilson? Also I would think the Evil Empire is going to throw A LOT of money at Wilson...that could be quite a bidding war.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

We learn each year that you cant have enough SP. I agree that the yanks could get Wilson, but they could also have their hands full with CC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

How is career vs LHP relevant when we are talking about a Right handed hitter V a Lefthanded hitter

Obviously you pay no attention to current OF profiles v LP and Crawford contract and Fenway Park.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

We learn each year that you cant have enough SP. I agree that the yanks could get Wilson, but they could also have their hands full with CC.

No, we learn each year how hard it is to get enough quality starting pitching.

Wilson isnt going to happen, see Slackey and big market.

CC will remain with Yankees or return to Left coast, most likely Yankees and Yankees dont have hands full on FA cost. See Lee offer.

Papelbon isnt getting 4 years, end of story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Lowrie (3B-DH)

Is this supposed to be a joke?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Vlad is zero chance and for good reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Given that he is hitting .331, .584 SLG, and .969 OPS at home....I think he is fine....especially given that a player may have about 1/4 of their AB's against LHP...of which you can assume half will be at home...so do I think its worth trading your best player for another player that is marginally better, not of course including that he is of course a righty which you think supercedes all else apparently.....if you are trading Ells, it better be for a #1 SP, which is harder to find then a righthanded OF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Paps and Wheeler will be the only two guys not to return. Theo picks up a relatively cheap RF'er who hits lefties well and fields well. Theo signs a 4th starter type (or two), maybe a Buerhle and a couple of nice pen arms to set up Bard as our new closer. Youk plays 3B and DHs when Papi sits. Fans complain and moan. The Sox stay healthy and win a ring...again (2 straight).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Resigning Papelbon is even more important than resigning Ortiz. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Just a hunch. Theo will set a fair price. Someone else will beat it. Paps walks. We get the picks and use the money to get 2 set up guys behind Bard.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Going into this season, I was 80-20 that this was the likely scenario. As the season has gone on, I've been increasingly going the other way that know I feel it's at least 50-50 that Papelbon stays and maybe even has high as 70-30.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Ellsbury is not the best player this year, or long term off one career year.

I think Kemp gets it done v. RP, and LP, home and away, and is a perfect fit for Fenway. Ellsbury is not signed long term, nor with Crawford mistake, is there any reason to do so. Kemp is the type of player that needs to be signed long term to balance the OF.

Try and think beyond today, and pay attention to yesterday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury is not the best player this year, or long term off one career year. I think Kemp gets it done v. RP, and LP, home and away, and is a perfect fit for Fenway. Ellsbury is not signed long term, nor with Crawford mistake, is there any reason to do so. Kemp is the type of player that needs to be signed long term to balance the OF. Try and think beyond today, and pay attention to yesterday.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Les Paul and Mary Ford??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie (3B-DH) Is this supposed to be a joke?
    Nope. Youk is getting old. He will need his time off to stay healthy. Lowrie plays third from time to time to spell Youk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]The Dodgers have no reason to trade Kemp.              Kemp is a FA at end of 2012. Dodgers are in bankruptcy. Pretty good reason.                  

So they are going to trade him for an arbitration-eligible player with 2 years until free agency?  Why not just release Kemp?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Why keep Bedard if you get Wilson? Also I would think the Evil Empire is going to throw A LOT of money at Wilson...that could be quite a bidding war.

Why would Wilson leave his current team?  After losing  Lee last year,  I would imagine that they will do whatever they can to retain him.  Not sure if they would get in a bidding war with the Yankees though. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

So they are going to trade him for an arbitration-eligible player with 2 years until free agency?

Just to repeat for your reading comprehension problems:

Kemp and 1 year of arbitration

for

Ellsbury and 2 years of arbitration + 1 from Lowrie Jacobs and Brentz + 1 from Doubrant and Weiland

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

The Sox can't afford to have Mr. Zero Production Josh Reddick in RF for a whole season.
    Doesn't hit with men on. Singles hitter, with occasional double or HR, and always with nobody on base.
    Stop the fantasy that this guy is going to produce, and get a right handed hitter with power in RF, not some platoon goon to bat 2 ourt of ten vs. lefty pitching.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

KEEPING YOUKILIS ON THIS TEAM IS A "LOSE - LOSE" SITUATION.
    HE WILL NEVER BE THE PLAYER HE WAS IN HIS LATE '20'S. HE
    WILL BE INJURED MORE AND HIS BATTING AVERAGE WILL SINK.
    THE UMPIRES ALL OVER THE LEAGUE ARE WISE TO HIS ACT AT
    THE PLATE AND WILL RING HIM UP OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
    HE IS NOT A #4 HITTER BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION.
    A ROD IS A#4 HITTER, HOWARD IS A #4 HITTER, ORTIZ IS A
    #4 HITTER, LONGORIA IS A #3 OR 4 HITTER.....BUT NOT YOUK !!
    HAMILTON OF THE RANGERS CAN BE ADDED TO THE #4 LIST.
    YOUK SHOULD BE TRADED OR BE INCLUDED IN A DEAL TO GET
    A GOOD STARTER OR A DECENT RIGHT FIELDER, IF REDDICK
    CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE. WE SHOULD TRY TO KEEP PAPS AND
    ELLSBURY...BUT THE LACKEY DEAL WILL HAMPER US IN
    TRYING TO SIGN ELLSBURY BECAUSE OF THE MONEY...AS WILL
    THE CRAWFORD DEAL. THEO TIED THE SOX' HANDS WITH
    THESE MONUMENTAL FAILURES.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox can't afford to have Mr. Zero Production Josh Reddick in RF for a whole season. Doesn't hit with men on. Singles hitter, with occasional double or HR, and always with nobody on base. Stop the fantasy that this guy is going to produce, and get a right handed hitter with power in RF, not some platoon goon to bat 2 ourt of ten vs. lefty pitching.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I would agree he has been weak with RISP, but his full season pace for 2b,3b and HR is 40,7,16, whihc is why is SLG is 4th best on the team behind PAPI, AGON and ELLS, so to say and occasional 2b or hr is not accurate....I think he would make a helluva platoon RF at least next year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

1ST OF ALL, PAP IS DEFINITELY COMING BACK FOR TWO MORE YEARS AS OUR CLOSER THANKS TO BARD'S RECENT BREAKDOWN.  I ALMOST GUARANTEE WE'LL SEE ORTIZ IN THE LINEUP ALSO FOR TWO MORE YEARS.  THAT BEING SAID WE WON'T HAVE SO MUCH PAYROLL SPACE TO GO OUT AND BRING A SUPER STAR NEXT SEASON.  (PAPS - 15M OR MORE/ YR, PAPI - 13-15M/ YR) 30M RIGHT THERE. 

1. LEADOFF - JACOBY ELLSBURY IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND HE'S NOT GOING TO GET TRADED UNLESS IT'S ELLS TO KEMP STRAIGHT UP TRADE KINDS.  ELLS IS YOUNG, SHOWN IMPROVEMENT IN POWER DEPARTMENT, KEEPS HITTING ABOVE .300, STEALING BASES, AWESOME DEFENSE, 100 RBIS OUT OF LEADOFF SPOT.... DOES ANYONE STILL WANT TO TRADE HIM??????? HE'S LEADING OFF NEXT YEAR.

2. DUSTIN PEDROIA - NOT MUCH TO SAY ABOUT HIM.  HE'S GOING TO RETIRE AS A SOX PLAYER AND WE ARE GOING TO RETIRE HIS NUMBER.  MVP CANDIDATE EVERY YEAR. ALWAYS HARD WORKING.  I PERSONALLY THINK PEDDY IS THE BEST 2B IN THE MAJOR.

3. ADRIAN GONZALEZ - ANOTHER MVP CANDIDATE. LITTLE POWER LOSS BUT I EXPECT HIM TO HIT MORE THAN 35 HRS NEXT YEAR. 

4. KEVIN YOUKILILS - HE NEEDS TO DH TIME TO TIME.  I EXPECT HIM DHING AGAINST LEFTIES AND JED PLAYING HOT CORNER.

5. DAVID ORTIZ - HE'S COMING BACK FOR TWO MORE YEARS.  REDUCED TIME AGAINST LEFTIES BUT NOT SIGNIFICANTLY.  IF HE STRUGGLES THROUGH FIRST HALF, DON'T BE SURPRIZE IF HE GETS TRADED RIGHT AWAY.

6. CARL CRAWFORD - HE HAD AN UNUSUAL DOWNTURN THIS YEAR.  MAYBE PRESURE FROM THAT HUGE CONTRACT HE JUST SIGNED, HIS SPOT IN THE LINEUP, OR ADJUSTED BATTING STANCE AFFECTED A LITTLE.  HE SHOULD REBOUND NEXT YEAR AND EARN HIS REPUTATION BACK.

7. JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA - GOOD YEAR FOR SALTY.  IMPROVEMENT IN BOTH OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY.  I LOVE HIS SWING.

8. JOSH REDDICK - HE MIGHT GET ANOTHER SHOT BEFORE RYAN KALISH GETS CALLED UP SINCE HE SPENT MOST OF TIME IN DL THIS YEAR.

9. JED LOWRIE/ MARCO SCUTARO - SHARING TIME AT SS, IGGY STILL NOT READY.  IGGY NEEDS TO IMPROVE HIS OFFENSE QUICKLY IF HE WANTS TO PLAY IN THE MAJOR.

EXPECT TO SEE SAME LINEUP ON THE OPENING DAY.  I DONT SEE SOX GO OUT AND BRING ANOTHER ABOVE AVERAGE BAT WITH LITTLE PAYROLL SPACE THEY HAVE.

BENCH
    RYAN LAVARNWAY
    MARCO SCUTARO
    CONOR JACKSON
    MIKE AVILES

POSSIBLE CALL-UPS
    JOSE IGLESIAS
    RYAN KALISH

PITCHING ROTATION

1. JOSH BECKETT
    2. JON LESTER
    3. CLAY BUCHOLZ
    4. JOHN LACKEY
    5. DAISUKE MATSUZAKA
    6. MANY POSSIBLE SUITORS
    PITCHERS SOX WOULD MOST LIKELY PURSUE:
    CC SABATHIA - HE JUST WANTS TO RAISE HIS SALARY FROM THE YANKEES
    CJ WILSON - DONT SEE HIM COMING TO SOX
    MARK BUEHRLE
    RICH HARDEN -
    HAS BEST CHANCE TO LAND
    HIROKI KURODA
    ROY OSWALT
    PAUL MAHOLM

BULLPEN:
    ALFREDO ACEVES
    FRANKLIN MORALES
    ANDREW MILLER
    JUAN CRUZ
    DANIEL BARD
    JONATHAN PAPELBON

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would think the team we are seeing now is basically the same team we are going to see next year....I think the Sox will make every effort to sign Paps and it will all depend on how reasonable he is. I think they will also try and resign Scutaro for a 2 year deal becuase Iglesias isnt ready and again Lowrie showed he cant stay healthy. I think Papi will resign and everybody else is signed. I think Theo will try to get a RHH RF to platoon with Reddick as the 4th OF(McDonald is gone)...and he will sign one pitcher to replace Dice K...CJ Wilson would be my choice because another Lefty would be nice. Theo will probably go the cheaper/high reward route though. There will always be turnover in the Pen so who knows who sticks there. I can't see us signing a big name free agent...not after the Crawford signing. 2 Questions will be , do you resign TEK for 1 more year or give Lavarnway a shot and do you resign Wake again....my bet is they will give him a shot at the Franchise win record, even if it comes as a spot starter and long man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Yankees will be limited with payroll space since CC will be opting out to boost his salary. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Well, we all know that Boston will try as hard as they can to get Sabathia or drive the price up as high as they can to make the Yankees to keep him for 10 years. Reason Boston wanted him is to weaken the Yankees's starting rotation. If not, hopefully Sabathia goes to another team.  We will all wait and see if CC is going to opt out!! With all the silly dream line up above, it is not going to happen. If I am the GM.  I wouldnt try to sign anyone for more than 3 to 4 years except for a starting pitcher and Pujols.  Cuz all of them are mostly not worthly players to sign.  75% of these free agents are mostly busted!!  Also forget Fielder. Boston is already too left handed, and I just do not think he would fit into the line up eventhough Papi had a good year.  Need to go back to lefty and righty middle line up like Manny/Papi back in old days. 1.  Best bargin free agent pitchers (starter) are Paul Maholm of Pitt., CJ Wilson, and Edwin Jackson.  They are all health free pitchers in past many years.  If they are not available including Sabathia, dont bother to sign any starter except maybe Bedard.  Cuz most of them are busted and are injured proned players.  Plan B is to make a block buster trade such as to get Felix. 2. Bullpen:  That is the tricky one.  Cuz alot of teams have signed many bullpen pitchers in past many years, and 75% of them are busted including Boston's.  Since I looked at these free agent listing for bullpen, there are quite few talents, but I know they may be asking too much money/too many years while there are other talents, but they have history of injuries.  I would just skip this topic.  By the way,  I seriously would keep Papelbon.  Bard/Papelbon combination are one of the top 5 best in baseball.  Dont break them up. 3. Best bargin free agent RF's are Josh Willingham and Michael Cuddyer, and just sign either one for only one to two years contract.  Boston isnt going to try to find new RF and sign him a 5 years contract because I just think Boston just hope that either Kalish or Reddick or Lin or Westmoreland can be ready to play during the 2013 or 2014 season.  Plan B, maybe make a trade, but dont give up too many prospects. 4. There are no best bargin free agent SS other than injured proned Reyes out there.  I think best solution is to resign Scutaro or pick up his option contract for another year.  Hopefully Iglesias or other young future SS can be ready to play every day major league level as a SS during 2013 or 2014 season.  I know Iglesias is ready to play as a defensive SS, but he is still struggling with his hitting part.   5. DH - I think Boston should strongly go after Pujols.  He is a perfect fit right handed hitter protecting A-Gonz.  I just think that Papi is now going to go on a decline due he seem he is now becoming an injured proned player.  Look at him now, foot/back problem as well last two years, he had a wrist problem.  If Pujols would love to play for Boston, take him.  But if he rather to play 1B, let him to sign elsewhere.  Plan B - resign Papi for one year only.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

3.  Cuddyer and Willingham have not done much to prove themselves as good ideas for a team that keeps having injury trouble.  Also, Cuddyer is very prone to bad years and Willingham is to slow for RF at Fenway, and an overall horrific defensive OF.  The smart move is to go after Cody Ross (career .912 OPS vs. LHP) and platoon him with Reddick or Kalish.  Unlike the relatively expensive Willingham or Cuddyer, Ross should be much cheaper and is capable of playing all three OF positions well.

4. If Reyes is looking for Crawford money, I don’t see how that makes him a “bargain.” (I am not so sure you are using the word you want to use here.)  If the Sox want a stopgap bargain until they are ready to promote Iglesias, the best free agent option is Ramon Santiago, who is a career .260 hitter and above-average defensive shortstop, and will likely cost very little.  Clint Barmes is another one with good defense and surprising offensive pop, although is BA and OBP usually leave a lot to be desired. I could see the Sox exercising Scutaro’s option, as well, but I don’t think they should.  The chances that Santiago costs anywhere near the value of Scutaro’s option are non-existent.  And even if Santiago struggles, the Sox still have Aviles and Lowrie.

5. Pujols is a pipe dream, especially if he does not even want to DH.  He also is going to command ridiculous cash.  A smarter move would be to simply slide Youkilis into DH, since he is barely holding up at 3B this year, and next year will be coming off surgery.  There is not much for 3B on the FA market except the 33yo Aramis Ramirez, who is clearly in decline, but still likely to command mega-millions for too many years.  A smarter bargain might be Aaron Hill, who can play third, is a solid defender, and has hit .302 / .350 / .497 at Fenway in his career.  He is a line drive pull hitter  by nature, and could make very good use of the Monster.  If any name from your list happens, it might be Willingham at DH.  He has the OBP skills the FO likes, and is a solid RH pull hitter, and the Sox have tried to get him before.