What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Dempster as his starters.

The Sox win the 2013 World Championship.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

2013=20 plus HR Club

Ellsbury

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Saltalamacchia

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Although I like your thoughts, I have a hard time believing in the same.  I do see a comeback year for the RS as a whole but I don't see a WS ring.  I like the fact that managment is even considering a couple of the young players and I can see call ups through out the season but I am struggling to see a rookie standout with tons of impact.  JBJ is probably the real deal but I think BC kind of blocked him a little.  I see a move to secure the staff going into the second half because I agree with your assessment of Doubront but I don't see the RS putting up with it. 

I see 90-95 wins because the AL East is not as strong as in years past but I only see that as a wild card and a 1st round loss.  Absolutely a step (perhaps many steps) in the right direction..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think they will be more competitive.  I like their pitching a bit more and I really think that Napoli is going to impress.  The team has a lot more potential than the team we saw the second half of last year.  I do not think they will be a playoff team though...but stay in the race until the beginning of Sept.  I'm thinking 80-84 wins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Regardless of team's status, fans should always cheer their teams to win it all.  I say why not.  If Ortiz is not seriously injured right now and Napoli and WMB proves they indeed belong in the middle of the lineup, Sox have pretty damn scary lineup.  Plus Lester, Bucholz keep up with their strong ST performance along with Dempster, Doubront, and Lackey, we have at least above average rotation in the league.  The important thing here is that our SPs are commanding their pitches very well during the ST.  They all look healthy and showing better stuff.  I see why not this team will win the world series if everything goes smoothly.

Tah dah~   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox will win around 87 games and earn a wild card berth.

Why not?  How many of us predicted Oakland and Baltimore to make the playoffs in 2012?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

First, It might help to know the names in our starting rotation...Rick Dempster? Try Ryan...

Although I think they will certainly be more competitive and our rotation will be much improved, I dont see JBJ coming up unless he plays 100% of the time and not in LF, where he in a platoon and his talent is wasted. Bogy has had all of 20 games in AA where he had 20K/1BB, which would suggest an adjustment period to get used to advanced pitching.

I also dont see them giving up on Doubie and trading him. If they start trading away pieces like Drew and Doubie it probably means the season isnt going very well and those trades probably wont happen until July. In that case if they are called up, the Sox would be so far out of it at that point that the WS would just be a dream.

Im guessing because of the uncertainty of the ALE we could see 85-90 wins at the very most, and a possible playoff spot. I suppose if all the stars aligned, there were minimal to no injuries (will Papi be back by May?) and almost everyone had career years, then sure...Thats just not realistic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

They'll be better if, for no other reason, because of the managerial change. Their overall  record will  be better, but not good enough to win the East. Or, most likely, get a wild card.

I hope I'm underestimating them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

They'll be better if, for no other reason, because of the managerial change. Their overall  record will  be better, but not good enough to win the East. Or, most likely, get a wild card.

I hope I'm underestimating them.

This is a .500 club at best. They just don't have the horses to make a difference.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A 15-game improvement over 2012 to 84-78.

No postseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Ironically what was considered our biggest weakness.....our Rotation... will have to be our saviour....Lester, Buchholz have averaged 15 and 14 wins in their full seasons starting, Dempster has 13 in his last 5, Lackey, 13 in his full years starting, and Doubie 11 last year...thats 66 wins on average. if Lester and Buch can pitch to previous highs and Lackey, Doubie and Dempster can pitch to their average or better, than 70 from the rotation is possible....70 wins from a rotation and you are probably making the playoffs. Last year the Yankees had 71 wins, Tex 72, Balt 61, Detroit 63, and Oak, 64, In the NL,  Atl had 69, Cin had 66, SF 71, StL 71 and Wash 72...so i will color myself optimistic as all fans should be in March, that the playoffs are possible.....and since no one knows who will be on any team come playoff time, whether or not they can go farther depends on way too many factors.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Demster as his starters.

To say anything WILL happen in baseball is clueless. You say this every year, and after an 81-109 stretch, have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. You also had the same thread a short while ago. Give it a rest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Demster as his starters.

We all made our predictions over a month ago!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Ironically what was considered our biggest weakness.....our Rotation... will have to be our saviour....Lester, Buchholz have averaged 15 and 14 wins in their full seasons starting, Dempster has 13 in his last 5, Lackey, 13 in his full years starting, and Doubie 11 last year...thats 66 wins on average. if Lester and Buch can pitch to previous highs and Lackey, Doubie and Dempster can pitch to their average or better, than 70 from the rotation is possible....70 wins from a rotation and you are probably making the playoffs. Last year the Yankees had 71 wins, Tex 72, Balt 61, Detroit 63, and Oak, 64, In the NL,  Atl had 69, Cin had 66, SF 71, StL 71 and Wash 72...so i will color myself optimistic as all fans should be in March, that the playoffs are possible.....and since no one knows who will be on any team come playoff time, whether or not they can go farther depends on way too many factors.

Good Post! I've said many times we'll go as far as our rotation takes us this year. Like the optimism, but just seems to be too many ?'s that have to go our way for a change. IMO RS will be much improved this year and will be in contention all year, but will fall just short of Jays and Rays in AL East. But at least this will be a fun team to watch and definately has some characters on it to make it fun. Really believe 2014 is the year we get back to the promised land when JBJ / Webster/ De La Rosa / Barnes / Brentz / Iggy /Boegarts all start to to rise to the big club. But anything is possible and really do hope they surprise us this year!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Lester is now pitching like a number 1. Beckett is gone; bad influence. Farrell is now manager. Lester respects him. Buchholz is pitching much better. I stlill think Webster will be a big contributor later this season. The bullpen looks outstanding. Bard looks like he is going to return to his former self. JB whether he starts on April 1 or later in the season will help this team. I still maintain that this team will win the World Series.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

2013=20 plus HR Club

Ellsbury

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Saltalamacchia

Gomes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think they will compete, surprise a lot of people and come close to a seconds wild card.....but no

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't think they will make the playoffs this year. I think they are going to spend this year doing what they should have done last year..which was some rebuilding. I think if they end up any higher than 6th overall in the AL then that would be gravy. I expect them to finish 6th.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Will Wait For 806 to Respond To This Post, After All He,s Poster Of The  Month For Jan, Feb, And March... Hell Were Only Half Threw March...

Ah Heck With 806, We Win 92 Games And Make The Playoffs.............

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes.  89 wins.  We finally have a rotation that I think can give us 145+ starts.  Plus decent AAA support.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts