What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

The best 25 men roster includes Bradley in left and Iglesias at SS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

I'm not optimistic this year.

The Sox will be struggling to maintain 3rd place at the trade deadline.  Ellsbury will go to a contender for a moderate haul of prospects. By the end of the season the Sox will be fighting it out for the basement slot...with the Yankees. The up side is that our AAA prospects will get a lot of playing time and really be prepared for 2014.

By the end of the season the Sox will be fighting it out for the basement slot...with the Yankees.

yup a 1 game sox vs yanks PO game

4 last place sounds about right

thing is

no one in the east looks all that

so that leaves everyone with a decent chance

if a few players step up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I predict that in 2013 the red sox are gonna win a few, lose a few and even have some rainned out................but they'll dress for em all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

85-90 wins, battling for a playoff spot til the end.  I agree with zac, the East is not too tough this year and anyone can win it with some luck.  If the Sox can win 90, they may get it.  Right now though I think the Jays and Rays should be the favorites.  I am still not sold on the Orioles.

I think Lester will pitch like he did when Farrell was the pitching coach and apart from a horrible early season last year (lingering effects from injury?), Buchholz has been solid.  That is a decent (not great but pretty good) 1-2.  I think Lackey is the key.  I don't expect much from Dempster, quantity over quality.  He will eat innings but ERA should be north of 4.50 and probably closer to 5.  But if Lackey can be solid and keep his ERA around 4, that should bode well for the Sox chances.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

AL East finish: Tampa Bay/Boston/Toronto/New York/Baltimore -- Sox in the wild card race.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Demster as his starters.

The Sox win the 2013 World Championship.

Lester is now pitching like a number 1. Beckett is gone; bad influence. Farrell is now manager. Lester respects him. Buchholz is pitching much better. I stlill think Webster will be a big contributor later this season. The bullpen looks outstanding. Bard looks like he is going to return to his former self. JB whether he starts on April 1 or later in the season will help this team. I still maintain that this team will win the World Series.

Same as last year

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I pick Toronto to win the AL East and the Red Sox earning a wild card berth.  The Angels will earn the other wild card berth with the A's winning the AL West.

For the first time since 2000, no team in the AL East will win 90 games.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

This spring Lester and Buchholz both look like numer 1 and number 2 starting pitchers in a playoff contender team. And the bullpen looks outstanding. I think the offense will be one of the best in the AL. I believe Big Papi will eventually be back in the lineup and this team will score plenty of runs. In addition sometime during the season Bradley and Webster will be added. And don't forget Daniel Bard looks like he can be the set-up man like he was 2 years ago. So yes I'm very optimistic about this team and can't wait for April 1 to get the season starting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This spring Lester and Buchholz both look like numer 1 and number 2 starting pitchers in a playoff contender team. And the bullpen looks outstanding. I think the offense will be one of the best in the AL. I believe Big Papi will eventually be back in the lineup and this team will score plenty of runs. In addition sometime during the season Bradley and Webster will be added. And don't forget Daniel Bard looks like he can be the set-up man like he was 2 years ago. So yes I'm very optimistic about this team and can't wait for April 1 to get the season starting.

some past predictions

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Wow, I did a better job predicting than I thought. 

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Dempster as his starters.

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox for winning the AL East title.
    And thank you from this die-hard Red Sox fan for this exciting season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Dempster as his starters.

I picked them to win 92 games.   Ooops.  Man was I wrong.

And YESSSSSS! to your final call!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

I predict that in 2013 the red sox are gonna win a few, lose a few and even have some rainned out................but they'll dress for em all.

You were right ... but you missed calling for the beards!  Heh...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I of course made no prediction.  Congratulations to every one who did, right or wrong, but especially those who said yes.  I frankly did not expect much this year, so I have been astounded. I loved the big trade with the Dodgers but thought rebuilding would take longer.  The players did all the work, but Ben C reassembled this team and Farrell was absolutely the right manager whom Ben C had to fight to get.  The Cubs stole the wrong GM.  

No one predicted the lineup would lead MLB in hitting--OPS and runs scored.  How could we?  

No one predicted Iglesias would hit or that he would be traded away, also impossible to predict even though by now must of us accept it.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Yes. I think they will win the division and lead New York by about 13 games.... 

Good call

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Ironically what was considered our biggest weakness.....our Rotation... will have to be our saviour....Lester, Buchholz have averaged 15 and 14 wins in their full seasons starting, Dempster has 13 in his last 5, Lackey, 13 in his full years starting, and Doubie 11 last year...thats 66 wins on average. if Lester and Buch can pitch to previous highs and Lackey, Doubie and Dempster can pitch to their average or better, than 70 from the rotation is possible....70 wins from a rotation and you are probably making the playoffs. Last year the Yankees had 71 wins, Tex 72, Balt 61, Detroit 63, and Oak, 64, In the NL,  Atl had 69, Cin had 66, SF 71, StL 71 and Wash 72...so i will color myself optimistic as all fans should be in March, that the playoffs are possible.....and since no one knows who will be on any team come playoff time, whether or not they can go farther depends on way too many factors.

Lesters win last night was our 64th from a starter, if Buch hadnt missed so much time they

Would have easily hit the 70 mark.....these guys have exceeded all our expectations

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Congratulations Boston Red Sox for the best record in the AL and home field advantage throughout the postseason!

Sections
Shortcuts